SC SC - Summerville, WhtMale 40-70, UP111797, well dressed, missing tooth, Gamecocks hat, found in an abandoned lot, Sep'23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ProudSuggestion3528

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Unidentified Person
NamUs #UP111797
Male, White / Caucasian

ME/C Case Number: 23-1337
Biological Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 70
Estimated Age Range (Years): 40-70
Height: 5' 6"-5' 7"(66-67 inches), Estimated
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: September 29, 2023
NamUs Case Created: November 17, 2023
ME/C QA Reviewed: September 29, 2023

Location Found Map

County: Berkeley County
Found On Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Recovery: The decedent was found, outside in an abandoned lot, in the advance stages of decomposition with no identification on his body. Fingerprints were unable to be obtained due to the stage of decomposition.
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Hair Color: Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description: short/medium salt and pepper hair.
Eye Color: Unknown
Eye Description: Readers in his pocket. Foster and Grant brand.

ItemDescription
ClothingBlack "George" brand tennis shoes, black dress pants, blue long sleeve button down dress shirt, maroon colored University of South Carolina Gamecocks baseball style hat. He had "Foster and Grant" readers (eyeglasses) in his pocket. - On the Body
Berkeley Co. Coroner seeking help in ‘suspicious’ death of unidentified body - Media Coverage

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is another case about a UID who was found decomposing in an abandoned lot. UID has a missing tooth according to the local news article and was well dressed. He also frequented the College Park Road area and Red Oak Circle Neighborhood. Someone must know who he is. Hopefully he can get his name back ASAP and quick justice for the person that did it. Though he could have died in that lot or in that area and someone dumped him but who knows for sure. I do wonder if he was homeless since he liked to frequent those areas.

Currently there are no rule outs for this UID.

This is what the UID's could look like. Gamecocks seems to be the name of the athletic teams of the University of South Carolina. Gamecocks was named after the fighting tactics of general Thomas Sumter. There are tons of hats available on the internet so it could be one of those.

On another note here is a possible match that I think could fit.

On another note, I wonder if this UID is Michael R Montijo of Ridgeville, SC? He is 5'5 (UID is 5'6-5'7) and he has salt and pepper facial hair, though he could have shaved and was left with Salt and pepper hair. His age is around 55 when missing which (currently 59) which fits the 40-70 age range. Ridgeville is only 11 miles from Summerville off of US-78W, so not far at all. Only thing that could rule him out is the date before missing is in 2020 and this UID was found on September 29, 2023.

George shoes as in Walmart? They are sold in the UK as part of the supermarket chain ASDA (ASDA's to us locals!) and I think Walmart used to own ASDA. So they are probably quite common.

I did find a European company with a similar name but they make more formal handcrafted shoes, and the video linked above in post #1 describes "black athletic shoes" which sounds more like Walmart's George.

Photos of the clothing and the shoes would be handy.

I'm an Unidentified novice (and in the UK to boot!) but the gentleman suggested in post #2 sounds like a good one and he's wearing glasses in his photo on NAMUS (as per readers in UID's pocket), obviously millions of people wear glasses but at least it shows he used them.

Just my thoughts, as always.

I contacted Katharine Pope about Michael R Montijo (MP64866 being a possible match for UP111797 and got their standard response saying that they will look into it. Hopefully, LE will follow up on this tip and figure out if it is Montijo as they did send the DNA of this UID to a lab for further analysis.

Could he possibly be from the UK if it is not Montijo or anybody else?
I hadn’t considered that before; anything’s possible! Though if Walmarts are as plentiful in the US as I think they are it’s unlikely IMO. From all I’ve read so far my feeling is that this gentleman is a local person.

Apparently, Michael or Mike Montijo served in the US Navy, so it is possible that his DNA might be recorded somewhere. Though his brother has been active on Facebook trying to find out what happened to him and to bring awareness to his case. Not sure if he has a WS thread.

Help find Mike Montijo

Here is another possible match for this UID, John Dubose. Dubose was 44 when he went missing (UID is 40-70). Height is around 5'9 (UID is around 5'6-5'7") with weight being 180 lbs (UID weight is unknown). His hair is not completely salt and pepper shaker but since had been missing since 2021, things could have changed. One thing that stuck out with me is that he has a brain injury which could explain in the article visiting that location a few times before he died. He was last seen in Bishopville which is about a couple of hours away (108 miles) but was supposedly going to Sumter SC which is around 84 miles to where the UID was found. Just my thoughts on this other UID incase Mike Montijo is not the one.

NamUs has been updated as of 7.30.2024 but seemingly no new information. Perhaps they have found a new lead, or there is information that is being withheld to the public (only pro users can view).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapturedOnCamera
Back