Found Deceased SC - Susan Wilkes, 59, West Columbia, 12 June 2014 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe Husband was at work.
Says son was last to see her.
May e hubby at work and son went off to work as she left for her walk. No one would know she is missing.

There has been very little publicity about this around here. I live close to that area as well.

The reporting was

was last seen at 8:15 a.m. in the Westover Acres subdivision while taking her daily walk.

bbm - wouldn't that mean someone actually saw her walking, not only leaving the house?

Here's my take on what husband said in the raw video - not perfect because of the accents (and my old ears LOL), plus could hardly hear the female (reporter?) asking questions, etc. But something to look through to see if anything stands out:

MW: On Thursday morning we left here about 8:15..and uh..she was getting ready to go.. to walk...and I got back here about 11:00 to change clothes after taking my neighbor to the doctor and go help work with my son and doing some tree work, and that night we just got kinda concerned we hadn't heard anything from her, but she just, uh, sometimes her and her friends would go off a couple days, and uh, come Friday we decided we'd get out and look and give 'em the benefit of the doubt maybe they just forgot to call, or couldn't call, so we decided Friday night we were gonna go to West Columbia, and West Columbia just got on it so quick it's unbelievable, they, they started working on it and got with everybody quickly, and got it on the news media and everything, and come and checked, they checked everything, from uh, had dogs here, checked everything in the house, and I'd like to thank them a lot for it too, and I'd also like to send thanks out to a lot of my Sunday school children have called me and text me in the last day or so that I had taught over the years in Sunday school and I appreciate it a lot, and my friends too, that taught. But right now, West Columbia's doing everything they can do, and this'll help. And that's about it, we just appreciate it,

Male (reporter?) off camera: Did she have a typical walking route that she takes, is it the same?

MW: Yes she does, uh this is a big heavily walked area in here. This is really kind of safe, but it's got a couple of little blind spots. But they do, it's a lot of people walk in here. A lot. And if she can't go round the riverwalk, if it's real crowded down there and the parking's getting tough down there, she'll walk in here. And sometimes she'll walk up 378 and down, toward Food Lion and cut across, maybe catch a little bit of Hook Road, Hook Street, whatever it is, then come back around. And uh, that's about her route,

Female off camera : You both live in this residence?

MW: Yes we do.

Female: OK. And were you home when she left at eight?

MW: No I wasn't, my son was in the backyard loading equipment.

Female: So when she left no one physically saw her leave?

MW: I did not see her physically leave, no.

Female: OK. So when you all gave the description to the police where did that come from, you just see her before she left or how did that description of her clothing...

MW: Her clothing? Uh, I think Joseph had the good description of her clothes better than I did because I saw her just cleaning up the house, getting ready to go, and I think Joseph saw her leave, he had the full description of how what she was wearing when she left.

Female: So there's a... is there a strong possibility that she could have left the neighborhood that day?

MW: Oh yes, she could'a walked out of the neighborhood, she could'a walked down the street and around, she could'a. A lot of people do that, it's a good running route too.

Male: You said you've had a lot of help from friends and..

MW: Oh yeah. Definitely.

Male: Have they been helping with the search as well..

MW: Everybody's been on top of it All the way to my neighbors here, we been here since 1990, and everybody knows everybody, my son grew up with all these people, these men around here, and everybody's been on top of it, even Bill Banning our councilman he's been helping.

But the police have been amazing. I never seen such cooperation and working together as I've seen here. At this house.

Male: Is there anything you want the public to know about her, maybe she had nicknames or anything that she might go by....

MW: Well everybody knows about Suzie. You know. Names Susan but everybody calls her Suzie. And that's about it. And uh, everyone knows her loves her. Jus, just a sweet person

Female: I mean, what kind of thoughts are running through your mind right now? I mean what are you kind of thinking, hoping, that's happened?

MW: Well I'm concerned. I'm really concerned now that something has not popped up, somebody, cause we went out checking all the ditches, first night we went out. And then we went out at 11:00 at night with flashlight (watch?), check all the ditches around the area, all the road sides, to see maybe her shoe came off or something, just anything that we could find, couldn't find a thing.

Female: You all said, um, you waited until that night to get kind of concerned so you said usually will she go out walking and then maybe go to a friend's house before coming home?

MW: Right, get cleaned up and take a trip with one of the girls or something like that, one of her friends. She does, sometimes they go to see 2 or 3 movies. But they just, the girls night out. And sometimes they take a trip, sometimes to Charleston or somewhere like that. Couple days. But this time is just different, you know.

Male: So I assume your first calls were to some of these friends to see if they'd seen her...

MW: Right. Yeah we checked there. With everybody, we sure did. When (starts to speak when female starts asking question, she says "I'm sorry", MW says "That's OK, go ahead")

Female: Does she carry a cell phone?

MW: She didn't that time, I don't know whether she had forgot to charge it or what, but she did not carry it that time. She carries a house key cause she come around the back and comes in the back so she didn't have a lot on her. That's all she had on her.

http://www.wistv.com/category/229633/video-landing-page?clipId=10269027&autostart=true

Here's my take on what husband said in the raw video - not perfect because of the accents (and my old ears LOL), plus could hardly hear the female (reporter?) asking questions, etc. But something to look through to see if anything stands out:

MW: On Thursday morning we left here about 8:15..and uh..she was getting ready to go.. to walk...and I got back here about 11:00 to change clothes after taking my neighbor to the doctor and go help work with my son and doing some tree work, and that night we just got kinda concerned we hadn't heard anything from her, but she just, uh, sometimes her and her friends would go off a couple days, and uh, come Friday we decided we'd get out and look and give 'em the benefit of the doubt maybe they just forgot to call, or couldn't call, so we decided Friday night we were gonna go to West Columbia, and West Columbia just got on it so quick it's unbelievable, they, they started working on it and got with everybody quickly, and got it on the news media and everything, and come and checked, they checked everything, from uh, had dogs here, checked everything in the house, and I'd like to thank them a lot for it too, and I'd also like to send thanks out to a lot of my Sunday school children have called me and text me in the last day or so that I had taught over the years in Sunday school and I appreciate it a lot, and my friends too, that taught. But right now, West Columbia's doing everything they can do, and this'll help. And that's about it, we just appreciate it,

Male (reporter?) off camera: Did she have a typical walking route that she takes, is it the same?

MW: Yes she does, uh this is a big heavily walked area in here. This is really kind of safe, but it's got a couple of little blind spots. But they do, it's a lot of people walk in here. A lot. And if she can't go round the riverwalk, if it's real crowded down there and the parking's getting tough down there, she'll walk in here. And sometimes she'll walk up 378 and down, toward Food Lion and cut across, maybe catch a little bit of Hook Road, Hook Street, whatever it is, then come back around. And uh, that's about her route,

Female: OK. So when you all gave the description to the police where did that come from, you just see her before she left or how did that description of her clothing...

MW: Her clothing? Uh, I think Joseph had the good description of her clothes better than I did because I saw her just cleaning up the house, getting ready to go, and I think Joseph saw her leave, he had the full description of how what she was wearing when she left.

Female: So there's a... is there a strong possibility that she could have left the neighborhood that day?

MW: Oh yes, she could'a walked out of the neighborhood, she could'a walked down the street and around, she could'a. A lot of people do that, it's a good running route too.

MW: Everybody's been on top of it All the way to my neighbors here, we been here since 1990, and everybody knows everybody, my son grew up with all these people, these men around here, and everybody's been on top of it, even Bill Banning our councilman he's been helping.

But the police have been amazing. I never seen such cooperation and working together as I've seen here. At this house.

Male: Is there anything you want the public to know about her, maybe she had nicknames or anything that she might go by....

MW: Well everybody knows about Suzie. You know. Names Susan but everybody calls her Suzie. And that's about it. And uh, everyone knows her loves her. Jus, just a sweet person

Female: I mean, what kind of thoughts are running through your mind right now? I mean what are you kind of thinking, hoping, that's happened?

MW: Well I'm concerned. I'm really concerned now that something has not popped up, somebody, cause we went out checking all the ditches, first night we went out. And then we went out at 11:00 at night with flashlight (watch?), check all the ditches around the area, all the road sides, to see maybe her shoe came off or something, just anything that we could find, couldn't find a thing.

Female: You all said, um, you waited until that night to get kind of concerned so you said usually will she go out walking and then maybe go to a friend's house before coming home?

MW: Right, get cleaned up and take a trip with one of the girls or something like that, one of her friends. She does, sometimes they go to see 2 or 3 movies. But they just, the girls night out. And sometimes they take a trip, sometimes to Charleston or somewhere like that. Couple days. But this time is just different, you know.

Male: So I assume your first calls were to some of these friends to see if they'd seen her...

MW: Right. Yeah we checked there. With everybody, we sure did. When (starts to speak when female starts asking question, she says "I'm sorry", MW says "That's OK, go ahead")

MW: She didn't that time, I don't know whether she had forgot to charge it or what, but she did not carry it that time. She carries a house key cause she come around the back and comes in the back so she didn't have a lot on her. That's all she had on her.

http://www.wistv.com/category/229633/video-landing-page?clipId=10269027&autostart=true

Wow. Just Wow..

Thank you so much Unsolved for transcribing the interview! Very much appreciated!

I feel like "Mmm". I find it quite odd that they didn't search for her the first day she didn't come home and didn't call also. Yes they said she went off for a couple of days before, but still ... I find it odd.

And this:

How would he know that? She could have had other things in her pockets? Money, cards, id?

Did her son actually see her leaving? It's not clear from the interview. Or did her son only see what she was dressed in but not if she had something in her hands, for example, or a bag with her, when she left?

Thank you, Unsolved!

I wish he would have become concerned a little earlier. I'm worried about her.

I guess I am baffled by the idea that she might take off with friends for 2-3 days without letting her family know. Really? People actually do that? Well...I know they do, or there would not be so many missing people, but good grief...that just sounds odd. Jmo

What are your thoughts, los?

I don't know. I happened to notice how much praise he was giving LE, which is all fine and good, but I can't help but wonder if he was just trying to get into their good graces to keep suspicion off of him, or was he just being that nice. Also his memory was somewhat vague as to what happened the day she disappeared, but that may mean nothing. The wow part was for for Unsolved's thoroughness and sophistication in what was typed. The members here never cease to amaze me. :)

This is OT and completely fictional but I just this minute finished a book where the husband reports his wife missing and is acting a bit off, but nothing major. Anyway it turned out the adult daughter killed her and Dad helped her "disappear" the body and car into a lake.

Anyway...as I said, it was a novel...

my husband said the same thing....smh

Great husbands think alike....I hope. ;) Now if I could just find a good wife, then I'll really be in business. Any takers?

JMO, but the interview didn't seem strange to me really. I just got the vibe that they've been married a long time, he had things to do, she finds things to do and maybe that first night when she wasn't home he thought maybe she mentioned something but he wasn't listening, that kind of thing. He doesn't seem evasive at all to me, maybe even a little overwhelmed with the way things are going, but that's just me. Sure hope she turns up soon though.

I don't know. I happened to notice how much praise he was giving LE, which is all fine and good, but I can't help but wonder if he was just trying to get into their good graces to keep suspicion off of him, or was he just being that nice. Also his memory was somewhat vague as to what happened the day she disappeared, but that may mean nothing. The wow part was for for Unsolved's thoroughness and sophistication in what was typed. The members here never cease to amaze me. :)

I also noticed that, and bringing up the Sunday school kids he teaches.

Mentiond the neighborhood is safe, but there are some "blind spots", Does he mean for cars?

Reporter asks if anyone sees her leave and he doesn't really answer her.

He had nothing to add about his wife except that her name is Suzie?

They were concerned enough to check in ditches the first night, but not concerned enough to call for help?

And I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but she doesn't really look the type to just take off for a few days.

ETA: he knew the exact walking route she takes, but she'll just take off on a girls trip w/o letting anyone know?

JMO

I also noticed that, and bringing up the Sunday school kids he teaches.

Mentiond the neighborhood is safe, but there are some "blind spots", Does he mean for cars?

Reporter asks if anyone sees her leave and he doesn't really answer her.

He had nothing to add about his wife except that her name is Suzie?

They were concerned enough to check in ditches the first night, but not concerned enough to call for help?

And I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but she doesn't really look the type to just take off for a few days.

ETA: he knew the exact walking route she takes, but she'll just take off on a girls trip w/o letting anyone know?

JMO

Good Post!

Sorry for stating the obvious, but I don't like this....

This is worrisome.

Thanks for posting.

"Concerned now that something has not popped up." Odd comment to make when your wife is missing.

They asked him if he was helping with the search. Didn't answer that question, instead mentioned who else was looking for his wife.

He might just be confused and emotional and not thinking clearly. He might feel guilty and scared because he didn't search for her right away. I have seen other husbands talking a bit odd, evasive, detached, funny phrasing etc in cases I followed here (Josh Bearden, Clint Heichel, etc) and it turned out they had nothing whatsoever to do with the wife's disappearance. So for now I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back