Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Past decades?

17 years 1 decade 7 years

Hard to compare usa to finland

Usa population over 334 million finland under 6 million.

If you just do a comparison from how large the population in a country is, your numbers will be wrong. You have to compare how many x (of whatever) there are on 100.000 persons to get a true comparison.
I saw that there had been 16 school shootings in the USA on March 6, which would mean 0,048 per 100.000, while 1 in Finland makes 0,18 per 100.000!

As far as shootings, well, a relative allowed him access to a gun. Perhaps the relative should be arrested - my opinion.
Well, the reports said that the permit for it was in the name of a relative but we don't yet know how the kid managed to acquire it.

I'd agree that there is likely a very high level of responsibility on the part of said relative, however.

I think that the "what are we doing wrong?" question posed by the other poster had deeper meanings, though. What on earth makes people want to do these kinds of things? It's just utterly bizarre, imo.

What on earth makes people want to do these kinds of things?

Preteens and teens can sometimes get caught up in the "have to get revenge" kind of thinking.

Or, if they feel they "don't fit in", want to be "seen."

It's always been true, not some new parenting failure. But it used to lead to an after-school fight at the worst. Then people starting having guns in their homes en Masse and also not locking them up 100% securely. Add media to the mix, with its constant portrayal of guns, and some kids are going to do this.

To me, it's obvious the risk exists, and that's why I hold the gun owners responsible. JMO/IMO.

Opinion:

"Finland school gun rampage parents'

three-hour nightmare

as they waited to find out if their children were alive."

A 12-year-old has been arrested for a school shooting in Vanda (a city just north of Helsinki, part of the Greater Helsinki), where one child was killed, and two injured, all of them 12-year-olds.
In Swedish:
For some reason I didn’t think anything like this would happen in a Nordic country; guess I was wrong.

Hard to compare usa to finland
They sure treat murder differntly:
Prior to 2006, only the president had the authority to pardon a life sentence. However, since the 1960s, presidents have regularly granted pardons to nearly all offenders after a period of 12 to 15 years. In 2006, the legislation was changed, and all life sentences are now reviewed by an appellate court after 12 years of execution.
Source

My first thought was I wondered if he had been bullied by those he shot, or if it was random shots fired and it didn't matter who he hit IHO.

Apr 2, 2024 #breakingnews #finland #shooting
One child was killed and two others seriously wounded in a shooting at a school outside the Finnish capital on Tuesday (April 2), police said, with a 12-year-old fellow pupil suspected of the attack taken into custody. Olivia Chan has more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking
Back