Found Deceased SD - Larry Genzlinger, 66, hunter, Deerfield Lake, Black Hills National Forest, 1 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Larry Genzlinger, 66, from Howard was last seen at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Six Mile Road and Ditch Creek Road in the area of Deerfield Lake.

Genzlinger is described as a white man, 5-foot-9 inches, 250 pounds with brown eyes, gray hair and gray beard. He was wearing a camouflage jacket and pants and a black Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation baseball cap.

Authorities searching for missing hunter in Pennington County

5f217698-93d3-4299-8bca-4b363ca5a98b-MissingHunter.JPG

Noting from the article in post #1:
  • Last seen at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Six Mile Rd and Ditch Creek Rd in the area of Deerfield Lake. Google Maps
  • Family contacted LE at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
  • Pennington County SAR and other agencies worked through the night until 4 a.m. Wednesday.
  • The search resumed again at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.
  • Aerial support has not been available because of fog and rain.
  • Genzlinger has congestive heart failure as well as diabetes.
  • He has been without food or insulin for more than 24 hours.
Searchers looking for missing hunter in South Dakota
  • Genzlinger was hunting elk with his nephew when they separated.
  • Genzlinger never returned to their planned meeting spot.
  • The nephew called 911 Tuesday night to report him was missing.
  • A helicopter was up for about 20 minutes but stopped its search due to fog.
Search for missing SD elk hunter continues in the Black Hills | The Daily Republic
Agencies involved in the search include:
  1. Pennington County Sheriff’s Office
  2. Pennington County Search and Rescue
  3. Custer County Search and Rescue
  4. Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department
  5. Rochford Volunteer Fire Department
  6. Civil Air Patrol
  7. New Underwood Volunteer Fire Department
  8. Silver City Volunteer Fire Department
  9. Johnson Siding Volunteer Fire Department
  10. Black Hawk Volunteer Fire Department
  11. Piedmont Volunteer Fire Department
  12. Weston County Search and Rescue

Last edited:
OCT 4, 2019
Search for missing hunter to continue Friday
Crews in the Black Hills are getting ready for another day of searching for missing hunter, Larry Genzlinger.

[...]

On Thursday, about 35 people took part in the searching, including several K-9 teams, people on horseback, a South Dakota guard helicopter and civil air patrol drone.

OCT 4, 2019 7:32 p.m. CDT
Search for missing man in the Black Hills continues
72166786_10156674942297874_3416647905602174976_n.jpg

South Dakota Civil Air Patrol wing commander Col. David Small launches an sUAV (drone) during the search for Larry Genzlinger in the Black Hills 10/2/19. Photo from the S.D. Civil Air Patrol.
[...]

There will be an increase in searchers tomorrow. The Sioux Falls Civil Air Patrol is sending ten ground team members to assist with the search. Other groups and individuals will also be joining the search.

More agencies means more resources in search for missing SD hunter - KNBN NewsCenter1
[...]

The command center sits deep in the hills. Communication to and from the city is tough but that’s where the 82nd Civil Support Team with the Air Force comes in. They provide cell service and internet to crews working in the field.

When the teams head out, they head northeast from 6 Mile and Ditch Creek Roads. They’re putting boots on the ground from multiple fire agencies all across western South Dakota. Other ground support comes from dog teams from the northern Black Hills and horseback riders with the Black Hills Back Country Horsemen.

Each person scouring the hills carries a GPS device to map each step they take along the way to help eliminate searched areas.

[...]

Earlier in the week, snowfall hindered air searches. By Friday, both a helicopter from the South Dakota National Guard and a Civil Air Patrol drone were in use. Both aircraft equipped with forward-looking infrared or “FLIR” which shows heat sources on the ground.

The drone can also take normal pictures, thousands of pictures that are each gone through one by one.

“It just takes a lot of time, ” said Morrison. “They put their images on the bigger screen and have other people look at them as well and see if there’s anything that stands out that could be a point of interest for us.”

[...]

Last edited:
The Pennington County Sheriff's Office just posted this update 2 hours ago:

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

Pennington County Sheriff's Office
2 hrs ·
Saturday horse riders covered a lot of ground shown in green on the map. Searchers on foot in the blue used GPS tracking looking for missing hunter Larry Genzlinger.

upload_2019-10-6_1-16-17.png

If you go to the link, the map is easier to read.

OCT 5, 2019
Another day of searching for missing hunter comes up empty

Wolfpack Working Dogs help in the search on Saturday.

A fresh coat of snow greeted searchers Saturday morning as they began another day of searching for a hunter reported missing in the Deerfield Lake area.

[...]

Wolfpack Working Dogs were on hand today for the search, as was a drone and searchers on horseback. A light coating of snow fell overnight Friday.

Pennington County Search and Rescue say horse riders covered a lot of ground Saturday and searchers on foot used a GPS tracking to keep track of areas they have covered.

[...]

OCT 7, 2019
Authorities resume search for missing hunter
Authorities hope to find the hunter who went missing near Deerfield Lake last week before more snow arrives, said Helene Duhamel, spokeswoman for the Pennington County Sheriff's Office.

OCT 8, 2019
Authorities resume search for missing South Dakota hunter
A Pennington County sheriff's spokeswoman says search and rescue workers resumed looking for 66-year-old Larry Genzlinger on Monday after taking Sunday off and searching through snow on Saturday.

This poor man. He was probably really having a great day with his nephew bonding over something they both enjoyed. I know the family truly appreciates the efforts of these searchers. I hope they find him soon.
It's so strange for hunters to get lost, unless it is medically related. They usually have their own signals to keep track of one another. Most wear bright orange vests now, some carry whistles and other things so they don't venture too far away from one another. I know some hunters go alone, too, but that isn't the case here.

Remember those poor elderly ladies that went blueberry picking back in the summer. They had whistles on them, too, but they lost one another. The lady was thankfully found, was it three or four days later, alive and ok? That was an area they were familiar with, too!

I hope that Larry is found soon. Poor man. My heart goes out to his nephew- how upsetting and frightening for him, when he realized his uncle was missing, and he hasn't been found. My thoughts are with Larry's family and friends.

I hate reading of hunters missing as my family is huge hunters. My son goes out Friday to start his elk hunt and my husbands hunt starts the following weekend.
They carry radios and my stepdad has gps on him at all times with his location and it also tracks where he walks so the next day he won't go on the same path.
It's worrisome having medical issues, I hope they find him ASAP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back