Found Deceased SD - Pamella Jackson & Cheryl Miller, both 17, Vermillion, 29 May 1971 *car and remains found 2013*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, the road was gravel surface at the time. My in-laws lived on a gravel road for many, many years. You don't really see skid marks (if indeed they DID skid).

Also, the car traveling in front of them would have raised a significant amount of road dust- probably obscuring the view out the boys' rear-view mirror. They may have not noticed for some time that the girls' car HAD vanished from view. Perhaps the cloud of dust is the cause of the running off the road to begin with- who knows?

Finally, spring run-off may have left the creek murky. An upside-down vehicle may not have been noticeable.

Hi all – I wanted to jump back in with some points about the area. As mentioned my grandfather’s farm was 2 miles south as the crow flies and the Brule Creek ran through the property. Nothing really enlightening to share but thought I’d throw out some observations:

• These roads were indeed gravel. I believe 310th is still gravel, judging from aerial.
  • The rural area is less populated than it was back then. Many of the farm homesteads have disappeared and land consolidated or farmed by others. Even so, there seemed to be a lot of distance between farms (at least to the city boy visiting for the summer) and got very dark at night w/o streetlights :)
  • Otherwise, this rural area is pretty much unchanged for many years.
  • On some days, you might see only a few cars and some farm equipment travel down one of these roads.
  • Brule Creek, like most creeks I suppose, at normal level ranged from a few inches in depth to “swimmin’ holes.” I agree with the general statement that the water is deeper under the bridges – it was deeper under the bridge near Spink.
  • In the spring and during heavy rain the creek would overflow the banks, flood the surrounding area, and could be quite turbulent.
Looking at the bridge report it’s interesting it was built in 1970, replacing whatever was there before. http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/17...0f9ozs5prah&allow_share=true&view_mode=scroll

There are also photos of the bridge if you scroll to the bottom.
All in all, this is not a big deep creek. I feel like the car landed in an unfortunate sweet spot that was just deep enough to keep it hidden over the years until the water level was low enough this year. The photo here show how close to the bridge it was when discovered though it could have been pushed toward the bridge (assuming it is on north upstream side)http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/officials-find-skeletal-remains-in-union-county/?id=153657

Weird these missing car and occupants cases coming to something so close together after so long.

Mark.

All u can say is wow. makes me wonder too who else is in water. Those tow in fossil in ok. And. Now sd . I read they searched a river, but not thus creek. Maybe I missed. something.

Starting to sound more like it was an accident...

KSFY - AG Releases Information About Skeletal Remains Found In Union County

KELO - Attorney General Reveals Latest In Missing Persons Investigation

Argus Leader - Cold Case Investigation Reveals New Information On Bodies, Car

Snipped from the Argus Leader:
Attorney General Marty Jackley said that he was able to confirm today that skeletal remains found in the car appear to belong to two different people. The remains had been sent to a forensic pathologist in Sioux Falls for testing. They have now been sent, Jackley said, to a lab at the University of Texas in the hope that the remains can be identified through DNA testing.

Investigators were also able to determine the Studebaker was in third gear, the car’s highest gear, when it entered the creek, according to Jackley.

“I think it’s fair to say that, standing alone, that evidence is not consistent with foul play,” Jackley said.

Pamella and Cheryl, both 17, disappeared from Vermillion, South Dakota on May 29, 1971. Foul play was suspected in their cases and at one point authorities charged a former classmate with their murders, but the case was dropped for lack of evidence. In October 2013, their car was found submerged upside-down in a local creek with their bodies inside. Their deaths are under investigation.
Source Information:
KDLT News

http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved.html

Wow - this is incredible. Very sad, for the girls, their families, and their classmate who's life may have been ruined if it turns out to be an accident.

So glad we are going to get closure in this case!

This is a case I have followed for years. So glad they found them and that they were not the victims of foul play. Unbelievable after all these years! Very happy the families can have some answers now and finally lay them to rest.

Wow! Another car found submerged and another cold case solved! Prayers to both families and the community who have waited so long for answers. RIP Pam and Cheryl.

Attorney General Marty Jackley said Tuesday that Pamela Jackson and Cheryl Miller died when their vehicle ran off the road while they were on their way to a party in rural Union County in 1971.

Jackley said there is no evidence of foul play. The vehicle was in third gear when it crashed, keys were still in the ignition, and one of the tires was damaged, perhaps indicating a blowout, he said. The bodies were in the cab and not the trunk.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...1971-case-of-missing-sd-girls-solved/7758443/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back