SD SD - Perry 'Ray' Robinson, 35, Wounded Knee, 25 April 1973

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/me...cle_7758b482-9189-11e1-b454-001a4bcf887a.html

The Associated Press | Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Means grows angry when asked about missing man

Interesting article. I'm not sure I understand the angry response.

From the time that the Vikings stepped on the land now known as North America, long before Columbus set foot there, there has been problems for Indigenous Peoples on that land. In 1830 the Indian Removal Act was signed by Andrew Jackson; in his Second Annual Message to Congress on December 6, 1830 jackson uses these words to describe my ancestors...'...to cast off their savage habits...'
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llrd&fileName=010/llrd010.db&recNum=438

These words still sting in Indian Country; the policies set into effect and the treaties broken, from then to present day have negatively impacted Indians. I am Indian, I am not a savage or a heathen. Just as other races and ethnicities have pride in their ancestors and pain in the atrocities committed against these ancestors, so it is for Indians.

Russell is Indian; his anger is justified. Russell has fought for justice, for parity and for treaties to be honored, just as Elouise Cobell fought, as Wilma Mankiller fought and many others have done and will do. There is anger and there is action. This conference this past weekend had a lot of emotion and anger.

Thanks Jacie and Eoanthropus for the explanation. I stumbled across that article and didn't know the history behind it. :)

Here is a website that gives an idea of struggles in Lakota life; for anyone interested. I realize it is still a touchy subject, for some. Education is always best. IMHO

http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

Kat, I spoke with a friend of Russell Means today; right before the incident that was reported there was a woman who flipped out and made false accusations against others in AIM. Instead of addressing her problem with those other AIM members she chose to lash out at Russell. It was obvious to everyone in the room that the woman had mental health issues. This is why her yelling and cursing wasn't reported in the media; it was best left in the room and that is where I will leave it, as well. Russell next was accused by the other woman of murdering her husband. He defended himself against a false accusation. I just wanted to clarify that point; the information that I received about the incident was from someone who was 5 ft away from Russell when it happened.

This April marks 40 years since the disappearance and possible murder of Perry Robinson, Jr.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- The FBI says a black civil rights activist was killed during the 1973 occupation of Wounded Knee, and it suspects militant members of the American Indian Movement are responsible, according to recently released documents.

The hundreds of pages of reports provided to Buffalo, N.Y., attorney Michael Kuzma and shared with The Associated Press on Wednesday shed new light on the 40-year-old case of Ray Robinson, an activist and follower of Martin Luther King Jr. But the documents fall short of pinpointing where Robinson was buried and do little to fulfill his family's wish to have the remains brought home to Detroit.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-con...illed-during-1973-occupation-of-wounded-knee/

During the 1973 the American Indian Movement occupied the Pine Ridge Reservation in a protest against the United States Government. In the end, several Native Americans were killed in a standoff that lasted 71 days. There is one big mystery that still haunts what happened there. What happened to Civil Rights Activist Ray Robinson? The 35 year old went there with several other civil rights activists so support the NAtive Americans there. But he has never been seen since. There is speculation that he had a heated confrontation with a member of the American Indian Movement there and had been murdered.

savagewatch.com/conspiracy.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Robinson_(activist)

ALT TXT
ALT TXT

Name: Perry Ray Robinson Jr.
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 25, 1973
Location Last Seen: Wounded Knee, Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Oglala Lakota County, South Dakota

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: September 12, 1937
Race: Black
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Ray
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Beard

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unavailable
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Unavailable

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Ray Robinson disappeared around the end of April 1973 at the American Indian Movement (AIM) takeover of the Pine Ridge reservation village of Wounded Knee. Ray had deep ties to the civil rights movement and participated with many groups, which is what led him to South Dakota.

Robinson traveled to South Dakota from Alabama in April 1973. This was during the 71-day occupation of Wounded Knee by AIM members and supporters that included the exchange of gunfire with federal agents who surrounded the village.

His wife, Cheryl Robinson said she filed a missing person's report with the FBI, traveled to Rapid City in October 1974, and then to AIM headquarters in St. Paul, MN but was unable to get information about her husband. She believes Ray was killed between April 20-23, 1973. She reports that reliable sources told her that Ray had been shot, killed, and buried at Wounded Knee. Other people who were present inside Wounded Knee during the time say Ray was shot in the leg.

Two Native Americans were confirmed to have died and rumors of other deaths persist. It is reported that FBI documents that are now public suggest people were buried at Wounded Knee during this time. This includes a memo from May 17,1973 which records an Interior Department official "observed several fresh graves" at Wounded Knee.

In 2014, the FBI confirmed that Ray Robison was killed during the 1973 occupation at Wounded Knee.

In 2018, the DOJ released a letter stating that "it was alleged that militant members of AIM committed his murder. The FBI exhausted all evidentiary avenues and no information was provided as to the location of Ray Robinson's body. The FBI presented the case to the US Attorney's Office, District of SD who declined prosecution based on insufficient evidence. On July 10, 2013, the FBI closed the investigation."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hpiper086
Back