SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
^^sbbm
Serenity was just that -- a 9 year old child that was afraid of the dark, and walked outside wearing only snowboots and light clothing. It's so unreal to propose that she would walk 9.9 miles, pick up a hat, coat, gloves in an unlocked car, and what --live happily ever after? :eek::eek:

"Afraid of the dark"? My post specifically said she had to be sheltered by sundown. Can't see how darkness would be a factor. IMO

The weather conditions on February 3, 2019 are VERY important. The first attachment shows the recorded weather for Rapid City, which started out at midnight with a high of 41 degrees F for the day. The temperature dropped slowly during the day dropping into the teens by sunset at 5:05 pm. There was a gentle breeze all day, coming from the north. In the black hills, the sheltered valleys are slightly warmer, and a gentle breeze is blocked. When SD left the Black Hills Children’s Home, she had an absolute deadline…...she had to be sheltered by 5:05 pm. The nighttime conditions of extremely cold temperatures and heavy falling snow made for slim chance of survival.

SD walked out of the gym door at about 10:45 am, and was seen walking toward the main entrance, which is a cattle guard; by a grandmother and grand-daughter that were visiting the home. The grandmother went to alarm staff, while the grand-daughter watched as SD stumbled crossing the cattle guard and started walking northward on South Rockerville Road. She lost sight of SD when she was about sixty yards up the road, due to terrain and trees.

The first attachment is a Google Maps and Directions screenshot which plots the route of SD from the south gymnasium door at Black Hills Children’s Home at 10:45 am to the last sighting of her by wood gatherers crossing the cattle guard set in South Rockerville Road at it’s intersection with (north) Foster Gulch Road at 11:20 am. Google calculates it was 9/10 of a mile walking, and says it should take a healthy adult 20 minutes. SD had used 35 minutes, but she was not an adult and had a somewhat shorter stride. Nevertheless, the conclusion is that Serenity, when last seen was leisurely walking northward along the main road. In my opinion, that leisurely stride was important to enabling her to walk farther than authorities have assumed.

The second attachment is the Google Maps and Directions calculation for the walking distance and time to Reptile Gardens…..an extremely large tourist venue with a gigantic parking lot and public telephone facilities. Even on a warm Super Bowl Sunday afternoon, The parking lot would be full of cars, some of which might be unlocked. It would be a perfect location for picking up needed items like hat, coat and gloves. This 9.9 miles, which would take an adult 3 hrs 11 minutes to walk. At the pace she was walking, SD would have made it in 5 hrs 56 minutes, approximating her arrival at 4:11 pm. From this point northward to south Rapid City the four lane highway is lined with motels, fast food restaurants, etc. Reptile Gardens parking lot would have been an excellent place to get a ride into Rapid City, or to call for a ride and wait for that person to pick her up.

If I understand the back story correctly, SD has many biological relatives on her paternal side in Rapid City and New Underwood (which is 22 miles east of Rapid City. She also reportedly has as many as eighteen prior foster families in the Rapid City area. She was not shy and she knew a lot of people for a nine year old, IMO.

The third attachment is a Google Maps and Directions screenshot which shows the distance from Reptile Gardens to Ruby Tuesday, which is kind of in the heart of the south Rapid City hotel-motel-motel-restaurant area.

Weather in February 2019 in Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
UPDATE: Investigators speak to couple who saw missing 9-year-old

Serenity's case only has 4 threads. And the facts are always a good place to begin.

The woodcutters never saw Serenity.

Serenity crossed the cattle guard. (I take it stumbling across the cattle guard is just part of your hypothetical).

Actually, I wish she truly had stumbled across the cattle guard, maybe that would have convinced her to turn back to the children's home.

Serenity was last seen wearing only a long-sleeved gray shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots.

If you want to believe that this precious 9-year-old child set out at 10:45 am at a 9.9 mile leisurely stride to the Reptile Gardens, arriving the gigantic parking lot around 4:10 pm, where she miraculously found an unlocked car equipped with a coat, hat, and gloves, then good on you -- especially since her journey meets the 5:05 pm deadline!

I simply don't find this account plausible whatsoever -- never mind the fact Serenity has never been seen or heard from again one year later. MOO

New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

On April 29, 2019 - Sheriff Thom acknowledged the confusion, and issued the following:

RAPID CITY S.D. — Over the past few months, there’s been a lot of confusion surrounding the disappearance of Serenity Dennard.

On Monday, investigators and search crews turned up new information to clear up misunderstandings. Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said dog teams involved in the search for Serenity are picking up a human scent in Rockerville. But with winter weather in the immediate forecast, Thom said the odds are against them finding the nine-year-old until the weather improves.

Serenity walked away from the Children’s Home Society on Sunday, Feb. 3. The couple who was chopping wood who believed they saw her, actually saw a staff member from the Children’s Home who was out searching. They did not actually see Serenity.

Sheriff Thom says two people who don’t work for the Children’s Home saw Serenity while they were in the parking lot. As far as investigators know, they are the last people to have seen her. The people in the parking lot tell investigators that Serenity crossed the cattle guard and headed north on South Rockerville Road.

After telling staff she was missing, they left the facility.

“Those two witnesses drove back out onto South Rockerville road, and didn’t see Serenity,” Thom said. “In that three to five minute window, she was no longer on the road. Where she went from there is what we’re trying to ascertain.”

Rescue crews are focusing their efforts on the area around the Children’s Home, and Teepee Gulch Road. Thom says the search continues because of the progress made by the dogs.

Video of Sheriff statements at link below above.

Feb 2, 2020
Family of Serenity Dennard still hopeful of her return - KNBN NewsCenter1
[...]

Serenity has siblings waiting for her return and missing the moments they had and still cherish.

“I miss her joyful little smile and when she plays with me,” said her brother M.

“We liked playing tag outside or hide and seek or a board game,” said her sister K.

As of now Serenity’s siblings find different and creative ways to feel close to her, drawing for or writing to her.

[...]

“Getting up in the mornings, walking past her room, you know it’s hard,” said Chad.

“The biggest thing that I miss would be hearing all of my kids play together and laugh,” said Kasandra.

[...]

“If you could come home, stay here and not leave, and try your hardest not to run away because we miss you.”

“I love you. We have fought a lot but if we could go back we would change that and I would like her to come back.”

(Video at the link)

Serenity's case only has 4 threads. And the facts are always a good place to begin.

The woodcutters never saw Serenity.

Serenity crossed the cattle guard. (I take it stumbling across the cattle guard is just part of your hypothetical).

Actually, I wish she truly had stumbled across the cattle guard, maybe that would have convinced her to turn back to the children's home.

Serenity was last seen wearing only a long-sleeved gray shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots.

If you want to believe that this precious 9-year-old child set out at 10:45 am at a 9.9 mile leisurely stride to the Reptile Gardens, arriving the gigantic parking lot around 4:10 pm, where she miraculously found an unlocked car equipped with a coat, hat, and gloves, then good on you -- especially since her journey meets the 5:05 pm deadline!

I simply don't find this account plausible whatsoever -- never mind the fact Serenity has never been seen or heard from again one year later. MOO

On April 29, 2019 - Sheriff Thom acknowledged the confusion, and issued the following:

RAPID CITY S.D. — Over the past few months, there’s been a lot of confusion surrounding the disappearance of Serenity Dennard.

On Monday, investigators and search crews turned up new information to clear up misunderstandings. Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said dog teams involved in the search for Serenity are picking up a human scent in Rockerville. But with winter weather in the immediate forecast, Thom said the odds are against them finding the nine-year-old until the weather improves.

Serenity walked away from the Children’s Home Society on Sunday, Feb. 3. The couple who was chopping wood who believed they saw her, actually saw a staff member from the Children’s Home who was out searching. They did not actually see Serenity.

Sheriff Thom says two people who don’t work for the Children’s Home saw Serenity while they were in the parking lot. As far as investigators know, they are the last people to have seen her. The people in the parking lot tell investigators that Serenity crossed the cattle guard and headed north on South Rockerville Road.

After telling staff she was missing, they left the facility.

“Those two witnesses drove back out onto South Rockerville road, and didn’t see Serenity,” Thom said. “In that three to five minute window, she was no longer on the road. Where she went from there is what we’re trying to ascertain.”

Rescue crews are focusing their efforts on the area around the Children’s Home, and Teepee Gulch Road. Thom says the search continues because of the progress made by the dogs.

Video of Sheriff statements at link below above.
The article you cited was published April 29, 2019. You quoted the written portion, which does say that “Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said dog teams involved in the search for Serenity are picking up a human scent in Rockerville.”
The news cast that accompanies the written piece does not say that. Both the news reporter and the sheriff explain that the cadaver dogs found multiple points of interest in the area of South Rockerville Road and Teepee Gulch Road. In addition, a map is shown with the explanation that the small black circles (of which there are thirteen) are all of those points of interest. The sheriff warns that there is nothing known at this time which would point toward any of them being a sign of SD’s remains.

The linked article below is from today, February 2, 2020. It's as current as you can find right now, and it definitely states:
“they saw Serenity run through the parking lot and stumble on the cattle guard just short of the exit onto Rockerville Road.”

The second attachment below is a Google Earth Screen shot which has yellow pins locating the Black Hills Children’s Home Gym, the front cattle guard, South Rockerville Road all the way north to the Town of Rockerville, the Foster Creek intersection and the Teepee Gulch Road.
In essence, Teepee Gulch Road is a graded dirt road that serves numerous cabins and provides a cutoff road from just north of the Children’s Home to Highway 16. Approaching that intersection, a left turn would lead to Sturgis (45 miles away from the home) while a right turn would lead to Rapid City (17 miles away from the home).

I have to question the wood cutters changing their story to a sighting of a staff member, as I am having a hard time visualizing a staff member that is in the neighborhood of four feet tall, but it doesn’t matter. It just means that the first searchers were farther behind SD that they thought. Removing those two as eyewitnesses only speeds up the timeline.

It has been exactly one year and there is no trace of SD. I don’t think there is any such thing as too much searching, and am encouraged that it seems to be ongoing. It is my intention to throw out the possibility that she headed for Rapid City, which was challengfing but possible, rather that Heading toward Sturgis, which was not possible given the weather conditions. JMO

The article you cited was published April 29, 2019. You quoted the written portion, which does say that “Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said dog teams involved in the search for Serenity are picking up a human scent in Rockerville.”
The news cast that accompanies the written piece does not say that. Both the news reporter and the sheriff explain that the cadaver dogs found multiple points of interest in the area of South Rockerville Road and Teepee Gulch Road. In addition, a map is shown with the explanation that the small black circles (of which there are thirteen) are all of those points of interest. The sheriff warns that there is nothing known at this time which would point toward any of them being a sign of SD’s remains.

The linked article below is from today, February 2, 2020. Kit;s as current as you can find right now, and it definitely states:
“they saw Serenity run through the parking lot and stumble on the cattle guard just short of the exit onto Rockerville Road.”
The second attachment below is a Google Earth Screen shot which has yellow pins locating the Black Hills Children’s Home Gym, the front cattle guard, South Rockerville Road all the way north to the Town of Rockerville, the Foster Creek intersection and the Teepee Gulch Road.
Teepee Gulch Road is a graded dirt road that serves numerous cabins and provides a cutoff road from just north of the Children’s Home to Highway 16. Approaching that intersection, a left turn would lead to Sturgis (45 miles away from the home) while a right turn would lead to Rapid City (17 miles away from the home).

I have to question the wood cutters changing their story to a sighting of a staff member, as I am having a hard time visualizing a staff member that is in the neighborhood of four feet tall, and looks about noine years old, but it doesn’t matter. It just means that the first searchers were farther behind SD that they thought. Removing those two as eyewitnesses only speeds up the timeline.

It has been exactly one year and there is no trace of SD. I don’t think there is any such thing as too much searching, and am encouraged that it seems to be ongoing. It is my intention to throw out the possibility that she headed for Rapid City, which was challenging but possible, rather than heading toward Sturgis, which was not possible given the weather conditions. JMO
One year later, Serenity's disappearance remains a mystery

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-02 New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-02-02 New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1(1).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • Google Earth South Rockerville Road.jpg
    Google Earth South Rockerville Road.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

The linked article below is from today, February 2, 2020. It's as current as you can find right now, and it definitely states:

In essence, Teepee Gulch Road is a graded dirt road that serves numerous cabins and provides a cutoff road from just north of the Children’s Home to Highway 16. Approaching that intersection, a left turn would lead to Sturgis (45 miles away from the home) while a right turn would lead to Rapid City (17 miles away from the home).

I have to question the wood cutters changing their story to a sighting of a staff member, as I am having a hard time visualizing a staff member that is in the neighborhood of four feet tall, but it doesn’t matter. It just means that the first searchers were farther behind SD that they thought. Removing those two as eyewitnesses only speeds up the timeline.

It has been exactly one year and there is no trace of SD. I don’t think there is any such thing as too much searching, and am encouraged that it seems to be ongoing. It is my intention to throw out the possibility that she headed for Rapid City, which was challengfing but possible, rather that Heading toward Sturgis, which was not possible given the weather conditions. JMO

The linked article below is from today, February 2, 2020. Kit;s as current as you can find right now, and it definitely states:
Teepee Gulch Road is a graded dirt road that serves numerous cabins and provides a cutoff road from just north of the Children’s Home to Highway 16. Approaching that intersection, a left turn would lead to Sturgis (45 miles away from the home) while a right turn would lead to Rapid City (17 miles away from the home).

I have to question the wood cutters changing their story to a sighting of a staff member, as I am having a hard time visualizing a staff member that is in the neighborhood of four feet tall, and looks about noine years old, but it doesn’t matter. It just means that the first searchers were farther behind SD that they thought. Removing those two as eyewitnesses only speeds up the timeline.

It has been exactly one year and there is no trace of SD. I don’t think there is any such thing as too much searching, and am encouraged that it seems to be ongoing. It is my intention to throw out the possibility that she headed for Rapid City, which was challenging but possible, rather than heading toward Sturgis, which was not possible given the weather conditions. JMO

In repeating your paragraphs, you missed the Feb 2, 2020 link you profess (your only link also dated April 2019).

The dogs are an issue here-- fortunately, they were omitted from your hypothetical which I responded to directly.

I've no reason to doubt the facts presented by Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom. He's been on this case since the beginning. Again -- believe what you want.

In repeating your paragraphs, you missed the Feb 2, 2020 link you profess (your only link also dated April 2019).

The dogs are an issue here-- fortunately, they were omitted from your hypothetical which I responded to directly.

I've no reason to doubt the facts presented by Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom. He's been on this case since the beginning. Again -- believe what you want.
Why are the dogs an issue?

One year later, Serenity's disappearance remains a mystery
BBM The woodcutters didn’t change their story. LE wanted to speak to them to get a better idea as to the timeline of Serenity’s disappearance because they were in the area at the time, had spoken to a staff member of the Children’s Home, and might have been the last people to see Serenity. But, PCSO hadn’t even spoken to them yet when that was reported. After they were located, Deputy Whelchel clarified that, in fact, they had not seen her. MOO

Last edited:
You are loved, Serenity.
t4594.gif
Please come home.
t4594.gif

g40009.gif

There are things that all police officers know and this one of them. If they couldn’t see buzzards circling by April then she wasn’t in those woods. I say April because if she lasted three hours in those woods when the temperature was 4 degrees it would have been a miracle. Her body would not have been detected by the birds until it warmed up.

I just want this child brought home. I hate thinking of the indignity of her somewhere alone in the woods and never found. But the whole situation is so odd and sketchy and all the other options are actually worse if other people are involved. I just never thought we'd go this long with absolutely no further answers.

There are things that all police officers know and this one of them. If they couldn’t see buzzards circling by April then she wasn’t in those woods. I say April because if she lasted three hours in those woods when the temperature was 4 degrees it would have been a miracle. Her body would not have been detected by the birds until it warmed up.
May I ask your opinion on what happened?

Still can't let go of watching that video of the girl in Texas ringing the door bell begging for help. There was no word on them ever finding out who she was and she looked a lot like Serenity. Plus, kids don't tend to run away from a "safe" place unless they already have a place or person to run. If the bio parents were forced to give up parental rights, how can we be sure that isn't to whom she was running?

"In Thursday’s Eye on KELOLAND, we hear from those searchers and Serenity’s family."

KELOLAND News

Not much new mentioned as it is a brief summary of the case and searches and a promo. The full Eye on Keloland will air during tonight's news though.

Here is a link on Kelo's site for those that don't use FB.

PREVIEW: One year without Serenity

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back