SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are things that all police officers know and this one of them. If they couldn’t see buzzards circling by April then she wasn’t in those woods. I say April because if she lasted three hours in those woods when the temperature was 4 degrees it would have been a miracle. Her body would not have been detected by the birds until it warmed up.
Unless some animal took her body into a den. Sorry too post that!

There are no wild buzzards in South Dakota. If this comment is going to be recycled over and over, could someone please pick another animal? Thanks.
List of birds of South Dakota - Wikipedia

@Falcon500 's post has stood for nearly a month without challenge as we all know what he meant by "buzzards."

For your information, Turkey Vultures are prevalent in South Dakota as the season warms.

This thread has a dedicated group of followers and it's not necessary to be ordered to pick a new animal or told how to post.

ETA: I forgot about Black Vultures (another feeder) -- see your link.

Last edited:
@Falcon500 's post has stood for nearly a month without challenge as we all know what he meant by "buzzards."

For your information, Turkey Vultures are prevalent in South Dakota as the season warms.

This thread has a dedicated group of followers and it's not necessary to be ordered to pick a new animal or told how to post.

ETA: I forgot about Black Vultures (another feeder) -- see your link.

So, are you picking the vulture as the replacement animal?
Vultures are not buzzards. In some parts of the United States, turkey vultures are called "turkey buzzards", but South Dakota is not one of those parts. IMO

So, are you picking the vulture as the replacement animal?
Vultures are not buzzards. In some parts of the United States, turkey vultures are called "turkey buzzards", but South Dakota is not one of those parts. IMO
You're right, Dave. They are technically not the same. They are, however, frequently referred to as buzzards by the general public, LE, reporters, and members all over these threads. No bird manual needed - we all know what is meant by buzzards. MOO

Some examples:

Trove of photos released from search for murdered pregnant teen
According to documents, police watched the movement of buzzards at the Otis Road Landfill during their search, and even attempted to trap some of them.

Friend: Swarm of buzzards surrounded Eddie Cruey's home while investigators thought he was still missing
She said someone had told her about a swarm of buzzards around Eddie’s house.

North Arkansas murder remains unsolved, billboard now offers $25,000 reward for info
A search effort ended when a local woman reported smelling a foul odor and seeing buzzards flying near her home.

Sheriff: Body found in Pageland likely missing Ternetha Bennett
Sheriff Brooks said around lunch-time Friday a mail carrier was on Crossroads Church Road when she smelled a strong odor and spotted buzzards.

Birdist Rule #60: Figure Out What Kind of Vulture Is Circling You
Some people call them “buzzards” in this country, and even though that’s not technically correct, no one is going to call the police or anything.

OH - OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *ARREST* #33

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Hannah Graham: Remains Identified

And on and on and on...

Last edited:
There are no wild buzzards in South Dakota. If this comment is going to be recycled over and over, could someone please pick another animal? Thanks.
So, are you picking the vulture as the replacement animal? Vultures are not buzzards. In some parts of the United States, turkey vultures are called "turkey buzzards", but South Dakota is not one of those parts.

First, nobody said anything about "wild" buzzards -- that's all you.

Vultures are not buzzards? Another word game, really?

South Dakota is part of the United States, and when someone here refers to buzzards, it means turkey vultures-- which do in-fact exist in South Dakota as do Black Vultures (New World Vultures).

Again, it's obvious we all understood O/P use of the word buzzards, and don't need to be told how to post.

"...Before understanding the differences between buzzards and vultures, you must know which birds you’re comparing. In the United States, when someone refers to a buzzard, it means a turkey vulture, a member of the New World vultures. ...."

Difference Between Buzzards & Vultures

This thread is about Serenity - 9-year-old missing child and not an editorial.

MOO

Last edited:
North Dakota Birding Photo Gallery Series Detail
http://www.ndbirdingsociety.com/photoGallerySeries.php?mySortOrder=830

Turkey Vulture Flock -- Summer in Fargo, South Dakota.

Roosting turkey vultures

Turkey Buzzard
This turkey buzzard flew into my back yard after a heavy rain and perched on this pole to dry out.The buzzard stayed on that pole for over 30 minutes till the wings were dry.
Taken: 2016-07-01 West Fargo

North Dakota Birding Photo Gallery Series Detail
North Dakota Birding Society

Turkey Vulture Flock -- Summer in Fargo, South Dakota.

Roosting turkey vultures

Turkey Buzzard
This turkey buzzard flew into my back yard after a heavy rain and perched on this pole to dry out.The buzzard stayed on that pole for over 30 minutes till the wings were dry.
Taken: 2016-07-01 West Fargo

Fargo, and West Fargo, are cities in North Dakota. The distance that a turkey buzzard (vulture) would have to fly is about 810 miles. For comparison, the distance from New York City, New York to Savannah, Georgia is 808 miles. IMO

Last edited:
Really? A diatribe about buzzards versus vultures on a site dedicated to finding a lost little soul? This furthers efforts? Being right about this aspect of investigation does nothing to find Serenity in my humble opinion.

there is a post going around some fb groups i am in of a young girl (described as 12-14 by op) walking through a bass pro shop in las vegas that looks an awfully lot like serenity. this girl is walking arm in arm with a much older man with a foreign accent (presumably eastern european), although in one shot of them in the parking lot the girl appears to be struggling to get out of his arms. video footage was taken by the employee of the 2 "kissing and making out." they were in a white van with oklahoma plates. las vegas police have been alerted bc they came back to the shop in vegas a second time, and the employee was uncomfortable enough to take all the footage this time.

serenity or not, the photos are troubling as he!!. i hope i left enough key words in this description that you can look for yourself. i don't think i can post either fb group here, but if i can post the observer's, someone @ me.

there is a post going around some fb groups i am in of a young girl (described as 12-14 by op) walking through a bass pro shop in las vegas that looks an awfully lot like serenity. this girl is walking arm in arm with a much older man with a foreign accent (presumably eastern european), although in one shot of them in the parking lot the girl appears to be struggling to get out of his arms. video footage was taken by the employee of the 2 "kissing and making out." they were in a white van with oklahoma plates. las vegas police have been alerted bc they came back to the shop in vegas a second time, and the employee was uncomfortable enough to take all the footage this time.

serenity or not, the photos are troubling as he!!. i hope i left enough key words in this description that you can look for yourself. i don't think i can post either fb group here, but if i can post the observer's, someone @ me.

WHOA. It really, really does look like her. Hopefully MSM picks this up. I wonder if it has been reported to authorities in SD?

There might be - but finding it is EXTREMELY difficult. I worked as a LE Park Ranger and was involved in SAR for many people. You have no idea how incredibly hard it is to find a living person out in the wild, let alone remains. It's very very very easy to miss something - even experienced rescuers do. Combine that with the brutal weather in SD and at least to me, it's no surprise that her remains have not been found yet. And yes,I do believe -sadly- that she's no longer with us.
I agree completely! I live about 40 minutes from the place Serenity ran away from, and that treatment facility is very secluded. It does not surprise me she vanished so quickly, and could have easily fallen off a ledge or frozen; that day was dreadfully cold.

From there, if she did pass away, it would not take long for wildlife to find and spread out remains.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganemma
Back