Searching For Anna - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new woman that we have been looking at is not Anna. She was also the only female in her "family" consisting of abducted children. She has stated that she believes that her abductor did take other girls, but they seem to have met a different fate than this woman.

This woman is involved with a website and forum operated by our own GinaM. The site is http://findmywayhome.org. This site is just beginning so it could use a lot of new traffic to help it take off. What is nice about this site is its focus on helping adults who were abducted as children - the exact focus that I and others had suggested was missing in the spectrum of "Cold Case" forums available. Bewteen this site and information from this woman, I hope that we can gain a greater understanding of what someone who has been through a childhood abduction would be doing to find their family - this will help us know what we need to do to make ourselves available for any search that Anna may be doing looking for her family.

Dr. Doogie,

Has the woman found her parents yet? Does she know how she was abducted and when? Do you know what fate the other girls met? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just amazed that she knows she was abducted and is reaching out. I think it's awesome. Please keep us posted about her if you don't mind.

Just a reminder for those of you who may not know why we're looking at Greek adoptees. (1) GW insisted on joint custody of Anna, though he never saw her or tried to see her after he left before she was one year old. (2) GW had strong connections with Greece, had taught there for a year and later did a medical elective there. He had contacts and spoke the language somewhat. (3) Among his effects in the Box was a picture of him holding Anna with her full name (including the "Eifee") and birthdate on the back. Such a picture could have been used for a passport in those days, and the size was appropriate for this use. (4) GW applied for a new passport while he still had a valid passport--the one which would have had entry and exit stamps showing where he traveled--claiming that the old passport had been destroyed in a fire. (5) Under "destination" on his last passport application, he wrote "Europe and Greece". (6) There were several flight insurance policies among all those insurance policies, the kind you get at the airport. Some of Ifigenia's remarks to not apply to us...GW could have "placed" Anna with someone anywhere, asking them to care for her. As regards the language, Anna's older brother spoke nothing but Greek when we left the country. He was five at the time. Within a year, he had forgotten his Greek and only spoke English.

Thank you for sharing that, Anna's mom. I was unaware that their is such a strong connection to Greece. Did you know any of GW's associates either when he taught or did his elective there? I know this was a long time ago, but is or was there any way to track if he applied for a passport for someone other than himself...as the parent or guardian? Again, thank you for sharing and we're still praying for a positive outcome!

Has the woman found her parents yet? Does she know how she was abducted and when?

No, she is looking for answers. I do not know how far back she can trace her abduction. She has reasons to be careful about what she reveals publicly since this situation involves people still living.

Do you know what fate the other girls met?

I am reluctant to give out too much info before I have a chance to scour her public posts on the other forum. I do not want to reveal anything that she has not already released - she is in a dangerous situation where discretion on our part is required.

She has been working with some people similar to ourselves who are assisting her search. I am sure that she has shared many details with them that she has not shared with me since we have just made contact. Details may be forthcoming, but I must move slowly and not betray any trust that has yet to be established.

Thank you for sharing that, Anna's mom. I was unaware that their is such a strong connection to Greece. Did you know any of GW's associates either when he taught or did his elective there? I know this was a long time ago, but is or was there any way to track if he applied for a passport for someone other than himself...as the parent or guardian? Again, thank you for sharing and we're still praying for a positive outcome!

Annasmom and her two sons were living in Greece when she met Waters.

The State Department seems to have created a "catch-22" situation: since Anna is currently an adult, she must give permission for Annasmom to look at her passport records. But how can she give permission if she is missing? The events in question happened when Anna was a child so the reasoning behind this is infathomable. Just a bunch of stinking bureaucrats making our path more difficult... :banghead:

Doogie,

Could U.S. Customs have any records of travel in their database? Something somewhere would be recorded. Could LE step in to inquire to these US officials, afterall, this is not an everyday request or situation? Anna is indeed missing, therefore, who can help us get the information needed?
The White House?

I think it was last summer we found info that LE could request the information regarding the passport for Anna with a simple letter on LE letterhead. IIRC, Annasmom sent a letter to LE and did not hear back.

The woman mentioned in my above posts has asked that I pass along to Annasmom the following encouragement: That there are adult survivors of abduction from the 1960's and 1970's that are looking for their families and to not give up hope.

I wanted to share that here to remind all of us also that answers are out there just waiting to be found.

No, she is looking for answers. I do not know how far back she can trace her abduction. She has reasons to be careful about what she reveals publicly since this situation involves people still living.

I am reluctant to give out too much info before I have a chance to scour her public posts on the other forum. I do not want to reveal anything that she has not already released - she is in a dangerous situation where discretion on our part is required.

She has been working with some people similar to ourselves who are assisting her search. I am sure that she has shared many details with them that she has not shared with me since we have just made contact. Details may be forthcoming, but I must move slowly and not betray any trust that has yet to be established.
I completely understand! I hope that she is able to come up with some answers regarding her "real" family. Again, thank you!

Hi,

I believe this has been discussed however, if anyone can recall the weeks prior to Anna's disappearance, was there anything at all unusual?

Could have been an abundance of cars up and down the road, any new carpenters hired in the neighbourhood, any odd calls or hangups? I do think whoever took Anna, knew Anna personally as her abduction was not only quick but quiet.

I understand the weeks following her disappearance was 'as usual', nothing out of the ordinary, no odd calls, no unusual things happening.

Have the Patel's been contacted at all? The people who previously owned the hotel where the G's lived?

Bank of America owned 'the property', again who were the people who ran the farm? A woman. Has she been looked at thoroughly?

Also... the numbers written on the Squibb after G. Brody passed away, have all these numbers been fully researched to our ability?

Thank you.

Hi,

I believe this has been discussed however, if anyone can recall the weeks prior to Anna's disappearance, was there anything at all unusual?

Could have been an abundance of cars up and down the road, any new carpenters hired in the neighbourhood, any odd calls or hangups? I do think whoever took Anna, knew Anna personally as her abduction was not only quick but quiet.

I understand the weeks following her disappearance was 'as usual', nothing out of the ordinary, no odd calls, no unusual things happening.

Have the Patel's been contacted at all? The people who previously owned the hotel where the G's lived?

Bank of America owned 'the property', again who were the people who ran the farm? A woman. Has she been looked at thoroughly?

Also... the numbers written on the Squibb after G. Brody passed away, have all these numbers been fully researched to our ability?

Thank you.

SideKick,
I think it is a good idea to look back at things we may have passed over previously. I know there have been suggestions we didn't follow through on because we got distracted by another possibility.

One very striking thing about the time just before Anna disappeared is this: For the first time since we had lived on the farm, the big house just south of us was recently vacant; the family and their always-on-guard dog had moved, so that the house nearest the horse barn and the road up to the hunter's cabin was empty. My volunteer day at Anna's school was Monday and Anna disappeared the next day, when I did not go to school and come home with her.

Joe and I were married three and a half months before Anna went missing, which well could have prompted some kind of action. So there was both a possible motive and a window of opportunity here (our young dog Saturn didn't really bark at strangers, but the dog of the family which had moved barked at everything.)

Regarding the Patels: There are hundreds in the Bay Area and we don't know the first name of the man who owned the hotel.

The telephone numbers, both the ones in Squibb and the ones on GW's last telephone bill, have been investigated thoroughly.

The weeks following Anna's disappearance were far from usual or normal. There were people hunting in the woods, up and down the road, near the creek every day. The telephone rang non-stop, and almost every time it rang, we would hear clicks on the party line as other people picked up and listened. When I mentioned this to the Sheriff's people and asked if they were monitoring calls, the answer was "I wouldn't be surprised". At one point, I thought I saw a car resembling the one GW had driven before he left home, drive down the road toward the bridge. This was several days later and I can not be sure it was even the same car. At the time, I thought it was possible that he had driven out to see the place she had disappeared from. I did not really suspect him at that point, but also, remember that I was really in shock in those days and my memories may not be entirely reliable.

There wasn't a woman running the farm. It was in probate and we made our rent payments to a Bank of America. After the probate was settled, the property was bought by Lindsay Mickels ( know nothing about Mickles or Mickels except that he had no response whatsoever to Anna's disappearance.) His employee may be the woman you're thinking of. I can't even remember her name. Both of them ignored the situation completely and only wanted us to vacate Joe's shop and to pay higher rent. One of our other neighbors, Stan, was the manager at the time Anna disappeared. He has been contacted fairly recently regarding the case, but couldn't really add much except to provide the names of some Purisima neighbors which I had forgotten.

There is a relatively new tool available for those of you who want to get a "feel" for the farm from which Anna disappeared and its surroundings.

Go to Google Maps and enter the address "2302 Purisima Creek Road, Half Moon Bay, CA". Then hit the button that says "Street View". This will allow you to "virtually" tour the disappearance site from street level. You can follow the road to the east up the hill and see the place where the farm could be observed from a distance, or travel west and see the most likely escape route of any perpetrators.

There is a relatively new tool available for those of you who want to get a "feel" for the farm from which Anna disappeared and its surroundings.

Go to Google Maps and enter the address "2302 Purisima Creek Road, Half Moon Bay, CA". Then hit the button that says "Street View". This will allow you to "virtually" tour the disappearance site from street level. You can follow the road to the east up the hill and see the place where the farm could be observed from a distance, or travel west and see the most likely escape route of any perpetrators.

This new tool is quite interesting. The "Y" in the driveway is a lot bigger or longer than I imagined. The distance from the house to the creek is further than I thought it would be. And when you and Annasmom described a fence around the property, I had imagined a huge rod iron fence like most celebrities would have. This is only a small wooden fence.

I was shopping today at my local Wal-Mart. At the entrance to the store is a wall that Wal-Mart uses to display missing children posters supplied by the NCMEC. Today, for the first time that I have ever seen, was Anna's poster prominently displayed. I hope that her face is gracing Wal-Marts across the nation and that someone will recognize her picture.

That's great news! I have to go to Wal-Mart tonight anyway after church, so I'll let you know if it's up here in Jacksonville.

Oh man...We just made our weekely trip to Wal-Mart after church and this was probably the first time I didn't check out the missing kids because we were in a huge hurry. I'm sure I'll be back in town sometime this week. I wonder if Anna's lovely face will adorn our nearest Wal-Mart located in the small town of Fairbury, NE, (the first Wal-mart in Nebraska...for you Wal-Mart trivia buffs)....:) LOL

This new tool is quite interesting. The "Y" in the driveway is a lot bigger or longer than I imagined. The distance from the house to the creek is further than I thought it would be. And when you and Annasmom described a fence around the property, I had imagined a huge rod iron fence like most celebrities would have. This is only a small wooden fence.
It was a grapestake fence, pointed pickets, very old and weathered, with moss growing on it, but it didn't have any holes in it. TC has replaced it with similar grapestake, but newer, of course. I am not able to get Street View on my GoogleEarth for some reason, but of course I can just drive out there and look at the farm. Can you see the hunter's cabin up the hill? I don't know how recently the pictures were made for GoogleEarth. When we lived there, there were three houses, two barns, a millhouse next to the creek, and two other small rickety buildings (one was a chicken coop). After we left, the landlord turned the rickety buildings into houses, preserving the roofline and building below it.

It wasn't up in our Wal-Mart. There was an August poster with the Wal-Mart label that had a lot of small pictures from all over the country, and then there were about a dozen or so flyers posted on individual cases with larger pictures. About 2/3 of those were cases from FL, and there was one each from AL, AR, NC, & AZ. I figure they probably limit it to mostly state cases, and the other ones may have had some kind of FL tie.

Anna's poster may have gone up nationally, and our store may just be late in changing them because of the storm. I think we're all at least a couple of days behind at work around here.

Do you know how they choose what goes up? If we can request certain cases, I'd be happy to ask for hers to go up around here.

It wasn't up in our Wal-Mart. There was an August poster with the Wal-Mart label that had a lot of small pictures from all over the country, and then there were about a dozen or so flyers posted on individual cases with larger pictures. About 2/3 of those were cases from FL, and there was one each from AL, AR, NC, & AZ. I figure they probably limit it to mostly state cases, and the other ones may have had some kind of FL tie.

Anna's poster may have gone up nationally, and our store may just be late in changing them because of the storm. I think we're all at least a couple of days behind at work around here.

Do you know how they choose what goes up? If we can request certain cases, I'd be happy to ask for hers to go up around here.

The NCMEC teamed up with something called Valassis Distribution and they were supposed to begin distributing Anna's picture the week of Aug. 10. I had to sign release forms back in June. They old me photo distribution would go to 75 million homes, but I think the Wal-Mart posters are probably also connected with this organization. The letter from the National Center said "Our Case Analysis Support Division reviews and prioritizes each lead...and expeditiously transmits the information to the appropriate law enforcement agency for review and follow up."

I'm really glad her picture is getting around like this. We've tried to think of all sorts of ways to circulate it, (Sherlock even wanted to rent billboard space!) so this is an unexpected and very welcome development. Seventy-five million is a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel