Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to cast aspersions on the Hugheses. I do think they're basically good people. But I'm glad that I'm old enough and wise enough to take well-intentioned advice and toss it out if I see fit to do that. I don't think Travis was in that place. They just made him more conflicted. I have no doubt that he would have seen through JA a lot sooner if they hadn't messed with his head.

I think their book about Travis was basically an act of atonement for the part they played in creating the chaos in TA's life regarding JA. I'd like to think that on some level, they realize they did more harm than good, and wish they'd done things differently. JMO

I think Travis, because of his difficult childhood, the age difference between the Hughes' and himself, the fact that the Hughes' were happily married and represented what Travis wanted for himself eventually, and Chris's role in bringing financial success to Travis, led him to look up to the Hughes' as parent figures, and the Hughe's, particularly Skye, perhaps fell into that roll too easily, and had somewhat of a 'tough love' attitude towards Travis, which in time proved inappropriate and misplaced in regards to his relationship with Jodi.

I think their book about Travis was basically an act of atonement for the part they played in creating the chaos in TA's life regarding JA. I'd like to think that on some level, they realize they did more harm than good, and wish they'd done things differently. JMO

I agree.

I think the issue will be if he used any of that knowledge to get an unfair advantage during the course of the trial. IOW did it affect in a material and concrete way his performance in court. I don't see any evidence of that, nor how it could since anything he brought up during trial could be responded to by the defense.

AZL replied on this one too. Answer-tough luck, DT and . Yes, the 400 pages were DT work product, but nothing in those pages violated attorney-client privilege or raised any other legal problem for the State at trial or on appeal.

I still don’t understand why the DT (Victoria Washington era, iirc) handed those papers to JM, since they sure weren’t under any legal obligation whatsoever to do so. I’m sure JM knew what he was looking at the second he opened the file, and equally sure he would never have read past the first page had possession of that file been the slightest bit questionable.

The DT screwed up. Or…..providence intervened. Or both. :)

So if her first defense attorney "screwed up" but there was nothing questionable about the pages the first attorney handed to JM, how was that "screwing up?"

I understand that reasoning, which is why I asked AZL. She's a practicing appellate attorney in AZ (doesn’t get any more expert and on point than that,) and she’s quite sure the ’s appeal will be handled as non-capital.

Yea I saw that. I'm surprised, yet pleased.

AZL replied on this one too. Answer-tough luck, DT and . Yes, the 400 pages were DT work product, but nothing in those pages violated attorney-client privilege or raised any other legal problem for the State at trial or on appeal.

I still don’t understand why the DT (Victoria Washington era, iirc) handed those papers to JM, since they sure weren’t under any legal obligation whatsoever to do so. I’m sure JM knew what he was looking at the second he opened the file, and equally sure he would never have read past the first page had possession of that file been the slightest bit questionable.

The DT screwed up. Or…..providence intervened. Or both. :)

Maybe Washington et al felt that since they were now off the case, they were in a position to support true justice in a way that was personally and morally more satisfying.

So if her first defense attorney "screwed up" but there was nothing questionable about the pages the first attorney handed to JM, how was that "screwing up?"

As in, nothing legally questionable that would put JM or the verdict in jeopardy.

But the DT definitely screwed up by handing over those 400 pages. JM describes what's in them as DT witness interviews, including but not limited to interviews with Darryl Brewer, the 's family members, with Purple Plum employees, and I'm guessing the PP owner too.

JM says in his book that the interview with DB provided him the insight about gas cans and her attempt to fly under the radar in AZ.

Nurmi went even further in his own book about the significance of what was turned over to JM, saying he wondered (in essence) if the verdict would have been different if JM hadn't had access to the interviews.

Maybe Washington et al felt that since they were now off the case, they were in a position to support true justice in a way that was personally and morally more satisfying.

Nope. Victoria Washington was actively anti-JM and pro- well into the 2013 trial. She made the mistake of posting her support of on SM, was promptly bombarded with criticism and worse, and within days had closed down her FB account, though too late, of course, as many folks took SS of her comments and circulated them all over.

Washington despised (despises) JM. She didn't hand over the file as a favor.

ETA- if JM had less character he could have gloated for an entire chapter in his book about the beauty of using DT work product and a DT witness (Brewer) to put the away for life. :)

Thanks for laying all this out for us, Hope. I do wonder, however, about the incident recounted in JM's book where he found/was delivered/somehow became privy to her former defense attorney's notes, which contained all sorts of incriminating stuff.

I think she might have an "in" there?

If anyone can allay my fears, please chime in!

In his book, JM says these were notes from the investigator re: interviews, and were turned over to the state as part of discovery. He had just put off reading them when rec'd because he normally doesn't look at materials intended for the later stages until his guilt phase case is finalized in his mind.

Hope4More said:
snipped by me.... :)

Nurmi went even further in his own book about the significance of what was turned over to JM, saying he wondered (in essence) if the verdict would have been different if JM hadn't had access to the interviews.

but... aren't ALL interviews with witnesses supposed to be turned over to each side anyway?? :confused:

and just in case some of you don't go to "Travis' Sidebar Friends" thread - posted by YESorNO (she always brings us good stuff to read!)

Something (baloney) to read with your morning coffee:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jodi Arias: Brutal Boyfriend Murderer Planning Prison Wedding To Mystery Man — Report

"Well, this is weird. Jodi Arias is reportedly getting married in prison, despite serving a life sentence behind bars for horrifically murdering her former boyfriend.

Jodi Arias, 35, has allegedly been corresponding with “many men” from her prison cell, claims a new report. Now, the infamous murderer might be preparing to walk down the aisle — or the prison hallway — to her future husband.

Has Jodi Arias managed to find love from inside her prison cell? A shocking new report claims that despite being isolated to her small cement room, Jodi has been “corresponding” with a suitor that she has allegedly told one of her friends she plans to marry. Whoa..."

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/05/04/...g-mystery-man/

Jodi.png
-----

Is Jodi Arias Getting Married?

https://behindthewordswithkim.wordpr...tting-married/

Announcement.jpg
------------------------------------

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 20h20 hours ago
My sources say reports that Jodi Arias is getting married behind bars are false. #JodiArias #fox10phoenix
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold Blooded! Jodi Arias’ Grandmother Dies — How She Dissed Her Family
Will Travis Alexander's killer be allowed to leave prison for the funeral?

"...Her grandmother, Wilma Caroline Allen, passed away on April 25, 2016 and her memorial service will be held on May 14, 2016 at the Girdner Funeral Chapel in Yreka, California.

“Inmate Arias did not request a contact visit with her grandmother [before her death] and did not request permission to travel to California for her grandmother’s funeral,” the Arizona Department of Corrections Public Information Officer told Radar. “Consequently, there were no requests approved or denied.”..."

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-new...ville-funeral/

(I hope it came out right...)

so, no news and no news.

I thought when she went away into her final prison home she would be forgotten and languish in obscurity for decades.

In his book, JM says these were notes from the investigator re: interviews, and were turned over to the state as part of discovery. He had just put off reading them when rec'd because he normally doesn't look at materials intended for the later stages until his guilt phase case is finalized in his mind.

I'm having difficulty cutting and pasting on my laptop on WS today, and can't on this, my phone. But....

Post #85, on page 5 or 6 of the "defense releases book" thread is Yes/No's summary of Nurmi's book, chapter 28, discussion of those DT interviews and turning them over to JM. Nurmi says flat out that he would NOT have turned them over, but was forced to deal with the consequences of prior counsel having done so.

The technicality I thought allowed the DT to not turn the interviews over is that, according to AZ Criminal Procedure, the defendant is only obligated to turn over interviews and such of witnesses the DT intends to call during trial.

Victoria Washington's list of witnesses would have had to be very long and very odd to have included all the folks her investigator spoke with. IMO it's pretty clear that most of the interviews were conducted as background research, not witness prep. No need to turn over to the State in discovery.

Seems like Nurmi would have included Brewer's interviews in that category as well, given the opportunity.

ETA- ugh, going back through that thread, skimming through Y/N's excellent summaries of what Nurmi wrote. One little tidbit I don't think I caught the first time is that the gave Nurmi permission to tell Sky about the (forged) pedo letters. I'm sure she did.

As in, nothing legally questionable that would put JM or the verdict in jeopardy.

But the DT definitely screwed up by handing over those 400 pages. JM describes what's in them as DT witness interviews, including but not limited to interviews with Darryl Brewer, the 's family members, with Purple Plum employees, and I'm guessing the PP owner too.

JM says in his book that the interview with DB provided him the insight about gas cans and her attempt to fly under the radar in AZ.

The DB statement only gave JM the insight, though. It didn't give him the evidence. JM already had the evidence. IMO, he would have figured it out even without DB's statement. There were a lot of different ways to arrive at the conclusion that JA had 3 gas cans, or, at the very least, she bought enough gas to get her through AZ without having to buy any extra. The premeditation was in the gas purchases and not just the gas cans.

And....JM had the Walmart receipt.

How much in advance did the DT know that the Walmart and Tesoro witnesses were going to be testifying? Just curious. They didn't have a clue that there was a gas issue? Why else would you need a Tesoro rep?

If the killer had been forthcoming with her attorneys perhaps the three gas cans would have been attempted to be explained away by her attorneys but again, her being her worst enemy, she probably withheld that info from them thinking no one could be smart enough to put two and two together. Nurmi appeared to be genuinely surprised about the three gas cans. Probably another reason he disliked her so much at the end. Wilmott, however, truly seemed to believe the killer's nonsense, right up to the end.
Regarding the AG investigation I am surprised we never heard anything about that. I thought their investigation had something to do with the names of the jurors being released and posed online at JAII, or MDLR being tied to the killer's finances by sneaking out her art to be sold. MDLR's salary was another drain on the good taxpayers of Arizona. That woman did nothing in that trial. Nothing! Except pass notes to the killer's family & friends, and tweet nasty things out during the trial. I wonder if she still has that position.

but... aren't ALL interviews with witnesses supposed to be turned over to each side anyway?? :confused:

and just in case some of you don't go to "Travis' Sidebar Friends" thread - posted by YESorNO (she always brings us good stuff to read!)

Something (baloney) to read with your morning coffee:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jodi Arias: Brutal Boyfriend Murderer Planning Prison Wedding To Mystery Man — Report

"Well, this is weird. Jodi Arias is reportedly getting married in prison, despite serving a life sentence behind bars for horrifically murdering her former boyfriend.

Jodi Arias, 35, has allegedly been corresponding with “many men” from her prison cell, claims a new report. Now, the infamous murderer might be preparing to walk down the aisle — or the prison hallway — to her future husband.

Has Jodi Arias managed to find love from inside her prison cell? A shocking new report claims that despite being isolated to her small cement room, Jodi has been “corresponding” with a suitor that she has allegedly told one of her friends she plans to marry. Whoa..."

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/05/04/...g-mystery-man/

View attachment 93950
-----

Is Jodi Arias Getting Married?

https://behindthewordswithkim.wordpr...tting-married/

View attachment 93951
------------------------------------

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 20h20 hours ago
My sources say reports that Jodi Arias is getting married behind bars are false. #JodiArias #fox10phoenix
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold Blooded! Jodi Arias’ Grandmother Dies — How She Dissed Her Family
Will Travis Alexander's killer be allowed to leave prison for the funeral?

"...Her grandmother, Wilma Caroline Allen, passed away on April 25, 2016 and her memorial service will be held on May 14, 2016 at the Girdner Funeral Chapel in Yreka, California.

“Inmate Arias did not request a contact visit with her grandmother [before her death] and did not request permission to travel to California for her grandmother’s funeral,” the Arizona Department of Corrections Public Information Officer told Radar. “Consequently, there were no requests approved or denied.”..."

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-new...ville-funeral/

(I hope it came out right...)

From what I read and posted a ways ^^^^, Jodi would a) not been permitted to go to any kind of funeral where there are other people. Leave is for open-casket viewing at the time of the funeral, or some such thing. b) grief leave can only be done in AZ. c) inmate has to pay for the guards. d) max prisoners are not allowed that kind of leave. IIRC. I looked up AZ grief leave regulations for inmates: fascinating.

From what I read and posted a ways ^^^^, Jodi would a) not been permitted to go to any kind of funeral where there are other people. Leave is for open-casket viewing at the time of the funeral, or some such thing. b) grief leave can only be done in AZ. c) inmate has to pay for the guards. d) max prisoners are not allowed that kind of leave. IIRC. I looked up AZ grief leave regulations for inmates: fascinating.

https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/policies/1000/1005.pdf

Premeditation was proved when she put the knife into her victim, and continued to attack, knowing if she did he would die, and she continued anyway. Then slashed his throat, then shot him. That's all premeditation, which is what legally has to be proved to meet the burden of first degree murder.

Pre-planning, which is not something that has to be proved, but is surely nice when it can be, was icing on the cake. That's where she put her plan together in May, arranged the burglary at grandparent's house, arranged the trip, borrowed 2 gas cans, purchased a 3rd, turned her phone off, etc, etc.

The combination of the 2 (pre-planning and premeditation) was unimpeachable, especially when combined with all the other evidence. This really was a "slam dunk" case. Not slam dunk for the death penalty, but for the murder conviction, because the evidence was voluminous and could not be reasonably explained away.

If the killer had been forthcoming with her attorneys perhaps the three gas cans would have been attempted to be explained away by her attorneys but again, her being her worst enemy, she probably withheld that info from them thinking no one could be smart enough to put two and two together. Nurmi appeared to be genuinely surprised about the three gas cans. Probably another reason he disliked her so much at the end. Wilmott, however, truly seemed to believe the killer's nonsense, right up to the end.
Regarding the AG investigation I am surprised we never heard anything about that. I thought their investigation had something to do with the names of the jurors being released and posed online at JAII, or MDLR being tied to the killer's finances by sneaking out her art to be sold. MDLR's salary was another drain on the good taxpayers of Arizona. That woman did nothing in that trial. Nothing! Except pass notes to the killer's family & friends, and tweet nasty things out during the trial. I wonder if she still has that position.

She also burned them with the magazines. They had access to the gas receipts and the magazine but didn't see the Jodi's "code" in them. When Juan pulled them out, nurmi and wilmont looking through them, then wilmont points , and nurmi asked for a sidebar.

If you believe in the constitution of the U.S. and understand the adversarial system in place for litigating criminal cases, you realize the "other side" is necessary and the constitution as written requires that an accused have representation. That doesn't mean you're evil if you're an attorney (though there are certainly some evil defense attorneys), but if you want to work in criminal law you either work for the state so you can prosecute (of which there are finite positions available), or you work as a defense attorney. There are no other 'sides' so as an attorney it's one or the other. Some start in the DA's office and eventually move on to defense work. Those are your only 2 choices in that particular type of legal work.

How do they sleep at night? With the money attorneys make--on 1,200tc Egyptian cotton sheets if they so choose.
The devil's in the details, as they say. No one, I think, was begrudging her a capable and vigorous defense, but the minutiae of their choices and actions, unhelpful to their client and hurtful to the victim's reputation and his surviving family, could not help but speak more to their character than to their profession.

Nope. Victoria Washington was actively anti-JM and pro- well into the 2013 trial. She made the mistake of posting her support of on SM, was promptly bombarded with criticism and worse, and within days had closed down her FB account, though too late, of course, as many folks took SS of her comments and circulated them all over.

Washington despised (despises) JM. She didn't hand over the file as a favor.

ETA- if JM had less character he could have gloated for an entire chapter in his book about the beauty of using DT work product and a DT witness (Brewer) to put the away for life. :)

Poor assumption on my part then. I just find it difficult to believe, in an initial analysis, that any thinking being would find merit in supporting the likes of JA, given the objective facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
394tx