Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AZL posted this on the legal thread. She sooooo ROCKS!!!!!! Plus, she works Pro Bono for all of us :happydance:... thanks are just not enough for someone like her. So here ya' go AZL, we :loveyou:

"There will be one appeal, but also one post-conviction relief proceeding. If the AZ Ct App denies the appeal, it can be taken up to the AZ Supreme Court (which doesn't have to hear the case), and theoretically to the US Supreme Court but that won't happen. The post-conviction proceeding will follow the same path, but involves a hearing at the trial court level first. The state pays for the appeal for indigent persons. I don't think we pay for post-conviction relief counsel except in death penalty cases."

Bingo! That's exactly why I continued to support JSS. I saw that that's what she was doing. My only beef is that she allowed Juror #17 to remain on the jury.

Yes, and I'm sorry that I doubted you. You always said that she'd give her LWOP,while I thought she'd go easy. I'm so glad to have been wrong.:cheers:: to you!

I hope her state financed appeals happen quickly. I also hope that all of the monies raised for her are found to be hers and must be used for restitution. Leaving her broke. I want her to have many years of knowing all of her appeals are done. Taking away any hope of her ever getting out of PV. I think as long as she has hope of an appeal, she believes she will win it. It is in her personality IMO. Only when the appeals process is over and there is no hope of ever getting out will true suffering happen for her.

Come on, man. Prison ain't the worst place on earth... some *****holes I had been to in my youth were much worse... and from my experience with correctional facilities I can tell you that those sentenced to natural life seem to be more at peace with themselves (especially if they are guilty as charged) than those sitting through a 20 to 30 year stretch. There's just this primordial feeling of peace and some kind of relief ( even if you are a bona fide psychopath) when those prison gates slam-shut after you... prison is where you can finally get a good night's sleep... it's mighty hard to sleep when there are a bunch of warrants out for your arrest floating around out there or through the delusory uncertainty of a trial.

Nonetheless, I am sure she's got off on this whole circus big time and with her penchant for drama I am pretty confident she's going to catch some grief on the inside.

P.S. Plus there's always heroin to be had in Prison and if I were to be jailed for life I'd spend it in the perfect bliss of the heroin haze and this is what she should do provided she can afford it. (never use or gamble inside if you can't afford it for this is how you get yourself killed there). All she has to do is to find a few lags ask them to introduce her to the screw (that's if I am up to date on my prison slang)

Doesn't matter who the appeal lawyer is-JSS was so thorough in bending over backwards for Jodi in the penalty phase that I think she's got a snowball's chance in h*ll of successfully appealing/overturning her conviction. They're not going to vacate her conviction and set her free when she has confessed her guilt and the evidence backs it up! This was no false confession, lack of evidence, SODDI case.

JSS was absolutely meticulous throughout both of JA's trials. I know people got frustrated with her at certain points, especially when Jodi was smiling and gloating about getting rulings in her favor. But that just makes things so much sweeter going forward. Jodi won some small battles, but didn't even realize that she was losing the war.

If you look at her opportunities for appeal, unless new evidence is presented (which would have to be something that could have reasonably been found out during her original trial), she's only got three bites at the apple. Almost to a certainty, all attempts at getting an appeal will fail. Then that's it for her. Perryville forever. End of story.

As much as her supporters look to Debra Milke as some kind of prototype, the cases are soooo different. Judge Stephens crossed all the "t"s and dotted all the "i"s. Juan Martinez was meticulous in his prosecution, as was Det. Flores in his investigation. There's nothing there from which one could launch a successful appeal.

Add to all that Jodi's extemporaneous confession during her sentencing hearing as to remembering the knife going into Travis' throat... one way or the other, her goose is cooked.

I followed the trial, but not the sentencing phase & didn't know JA gave any further details?! Anyone have a link handy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why Did The "Butcheress Manslayer Of 2008" Trial Drag On, And On, And On???

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/letters/2015/05/02/jodi-arias-trial-drag/26752485/

I agree with the gist of this letter to the Editor. Where is some kind of in-depth analysis as to why this self-obsessed nobody was allowed a 3+ million dollar defense and endless manipulation of the criminal justice system? It seems to me that some (or many) parts of the criminal justice system are irretrievably broken.

By virtue of doing those pre-trial interviews, Jodi herself ensured that her trial would be a media sensation. Everything after that was the domino effect.

For Arias to then turn around and claim that it was the media that prevented her from having a fair trial is ludicrous. It also gives us further insight as to what Travis went through with her. She pulled out all the stops to get everything she possibly could from him, but after that failed to result in her ultimate goal (a ring), it was all somehow his fault.

Why is AZ Central so recalcitrant about reporting what really happens in AZ courts? That reader wrote in with a perfectly logical observation: Let's compare and contrast the trials of Jodi Arias and Jerice Hunter. Where is the in-depth article about that? Jerice Hunter, while probably no less guilty than Arias, didn't have the benefit of the groupies and tainted journalists that Arias did.

Sadly, objective Journalism might be a thing of the past. At least that seems to be the case in Arizona.

I complained about,JSS allowing so much leeway during both trials. Now,I think she did it purposely to make sure there are no grounds for an appeal. JMO

:seeya: Yes ... but JSS had some great back up: Juan Martinez :juanettes:

No doubt, Juan had to school her on some issues ... MOO.

Oh, how I wish the Super Duper Secret Sidebars would be released !

:cheers:

JSS was absolutely meticulous throughout both of JA's trials. I know people got frustrated with her at certain points, especially when Jodi was smiling and gloating about getting rulings in her favor. But that just makes things so much sweeter going forward. Jodi won some small battles, but didn't even realize that she was losing the war.

If you look at her opportunities for appeal, unless new evidence is presented (which would be anything that could have reasonably been found out during her original trial), she's only got three bites at the apple. Almost to a certainty, all attempts at getting an appeal will fail. Then that's it for her. Perryville forever. End of story.

As much as her supporters look to Debra Milke as some kind of prototype, the cases are soooo different. Judge Stephens crossed all the "t"s and dotted all the "i"s. Juan Martinez was equally meticulous in his prosecution, as was Det. Flores in his investigation. There's nothing there from which one could launch a successful appeal.

Add to all that Jodi's extemporaneous confession during her sentencing hearing as to remembering the knife going into Travis' throat... one way or the other, her goose is cooked.

I don't know, if I learned one thing from Prison it'd be that if there are no witnesses (to a murder and preferably no murder weapon) there's almost always a way-out (A pearl of prison wisdom). I mean it's not often that somebody goes away for a murder without a witness or a confession... and if they do it's usually for "self-defense" or manslaughter.

I'd come at it with "Confirmation Bias" ,as in everybody saying to Flores that Jodi "killed him" and everybody saying she's guilty as hell of a premeditated murder before she was proven guilty of it and the like, might be a good defense strategy. Plus the autopsy report was a bit fishy,too.

But to be honest, I think she will only get out of prison in a body-bag. She played herself into a corner...

I agree with the gist of this letter to the Editor. Where is some kind of in-depth analysis as to why this self-obsessed nobody was allowed a 3+ million dollar defense and endless manipulation of the criminal justice system? It seems to me that some (or many) parts of the criminal justice system are irretrievably broken.

By virtue of doing those pre-trial interviews, Jodi herself ensured that her trial would be a media sensation. Everything after that was the domino effect.

For Arias to then turn around and claim that it was the media that prevented her from having a fair trial is ludicrous. It also gives us further insight as to what Travis went through with her. She pulled out all the stops to get everything she possibly could from him, but after that failed to result in her ultimate goal (a ring), it was all somehow his fault.

Why is AZ Central so recalcitrant about reporting what really happens in AZ courts? That reader wrote in with a perfectly logical observation: Let's compare and contrast the trials of Jodi Arias and Jerice Hunter. Where is the in-depth article about that? Jerice Hunter, while probably no less guilty than Arias, didn't have the benefit of the groupies and tainted journalists that Arias did.

Sadly, objective Journalism might be a thing of the past. At least that seems to be the case in Arizona.
Oh, she got the ring technically- she stole the ring he'd given to Linda Ballard Boss when he wanted to get engaged to her! She told her father that she planned to marry Travis, she just didn't figure that he wouldn't go along. She probably was blackmailing him at some point, and not taking her to Cancun was the final straw.

Juan's fantastic, and if it weren't for Juror 17, he would've had a Death Penalty conviction. 19 jurors in 2 trials thought she deserved it!

You know what guys, Jodi made a rookie mistake.

She should have said to Flores as soon as he walked into the room: "Where my lawyer at, cop". And then she should have pled not guilty (or self-defense) and then she should have moved for discovery and only after that she should have started making up a coherent narrative (after discovery) or switched to a self-defense plea and played the abuse card and such with some part of her creditability still intact and of course she should have never spoken with journalists... but it's a good thing she didn't, I guess...

After all, this trial was most of the time about an inexperienced first-timer Jodi plus not a very good and not-caring public deference attorney vs an experienced prosecutor Juan and the rest of the time it was about no murder weapon, some poor pics with no face on them which were recovered with a violation of the protocols ie a write-blocker was not used to recover them which means they were not really admissible in a court of law (but they were admitted anyway which now is a straw to grab onto in an appeal) and a whole lot of other circumstantial evidence to boot (like hearsay from Travis' friends about Jodi stalking Travis, slashing his tires and, in the end, killing him and so on and so forth), and it was about lies, a lot of lies, and a grotesque murder at the center of it all...

Also one more thing, no matter how hard you may want to believe that everything there happened the way the prosecutor says it did (no matter how convincing, how verdical his version of events might be) neither he nor you may be ever 100 percent sure (unless you take it on faith of course) that it did happen that way, because neither he nor you weren't there and neither of you saw what really happened there in flesh and neither was there any one else ,you might find worthy of trust, on that fateful night to tell the tale... and on this uncertain note ,I think I have shared the totality of my opinion on the matter.

Re-watching the day of sentencing, I am once more amazed at the grace and tact of Judge Stephens.

As I've said before, she's the kind of person I would love to have as a family member. Certainly, she has her own family, and they no doubt adore her. I share in their pride. I think she's one awesome human being, and an excellent judge. JMO

Well, JM did have to school JSS on the case law regarding a defendant showing off their "restraints" during the trial. If you recall, Jodi wanted to walk over to the witness stand just like any other witness. JM's concern was that she would, uh "accidentally" show off her restraints and cause an appeal issue.

Lol, JM poked a big hole in JA's balloon, by dropping the a-word (APPEAL) on JSS. I wonder how often JM tried this technique (dropping the A-word) just to end-run JA.

The killer waived her Miranda rights simply because she thought she was the smartest person in the room. Flores did inform her of her Miranda rights and she chose to speak to him anyway. The killer also declined to speak further to Detective Flores during the time she was in Mesa for Travis' memorial, when she told him she had heard rumors that she was a suspect and thought it was prudent to not speak without representation. She willingly gave DNA samples. She willingly spoke to Detective Flores for two days in Yreka. Why? She thought she was savvy enough to get away with the murder.
While JW & KN weren't the best of criminal attorneys, they did their best to defend her. My guess is the killer rarely if ever followed their advice. This was far from a circumstantial case - there was alot of physical evidence that proved her presence at the crime scene. CMJA is sunk, her ship has sailed. I don't think there are any substantial reasons for an appeal, none to get her conviction overturned and granting her a new trial. I would be interested to know what the issues were between CMJA and KN. I will bet she disagreed with the majority of the DT recommendations. I wonder if the DT even wanted her to testify. She was caught in so many lies while on the stand.
I wish the prison would plaster her cell walls with pictures of Travis' autopsy. The killer still to this day thinks he deserved to die, IMO.

On another note, thanks to the poster who suggested clicking on "full site". Got the old format back as well as my "thank you" button. Yay! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove