Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else getting an audio advertisement on this thread? It is driving me insane and I will never be able to spend much time on here if anything exciting happens concerning Arias. How in the world do I get rid of it? It doesn't appear to be connected to any of the visual ads.

Yes, I hear it also. Surely Websleuths would not force us to listen to audio ads or to turn off our speakers. :tantrum:

BBM.
This girl was born in Mexico, so the Spanish accent isn't faked. I believe it is real. I also don't see her as bad as Jodi Arias, not nearly as evil. She seemed remorseful.

The reason I commented on the accent is that it's not the remnants of any kind of Spanish (Mexican/Central American/South American......). It's an accent that she's given herself that is "high falutin'". It's excessively precise and studied. Jodi tries to do this too (she tries to sound as though she's a character in a Jane Austen novel, and this comes off as ridiculous). It's very hard for Americans not to sound fake doing this, since American accents have drawn out vowels and murky consonants. UK upper middle and upper class accents clip the consonants: these are very pronounced. IMO, that's what the Dateline woman is striving for. It makes me cringe. She probably created it to fit in with her interpretation of what was required at Philips Exeter and Pomona, but that's not actually what students at those schools sound like.

I am bilingual UK and American English and I used to teach at Pomona, so this is where I'm coming from.

To give you a counter example to this young woman's accent, think JM. Notice that he's not overly precise with the consonants.

I posted this on the Sidebar and then thought maybe I should have posted it here, since we seem to have yet another Jodi clone.

Have you guys been reading at all about the woman kayaker who dumped her fiancé's kayak into the Hudson in April? When the water was freezing? The body was found in the last day or so. Angelika Graswald.

1. She has done several media interviews.
2. Her bond is $3 million.
3. Look at her mug shot: her smirk is even more developed than Jodi's. Just....plain.....sick.
4. She told police "it felt good knowing he was going to die".
5. She told police she tampered with her boyfriend's kayak.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/body-found-kayaker-alleged-murder-missing/story?id=31263143

The reason I commented on the accent is that it's not the remnants of any kind of Spanish (Mexican/Central American/South American......). It's an accent that she's given herself that is "high falutin'". It's excessively precise and studied. Jodi tries to do this too (she tries to sound as though she's a character in a Jane Austen novel, and this comes off as ridiculous). It's very hard for Americans not to sound fake doing this, since American accents have drawn out vowels and murky consonants. UK upper middle and upper class accents clip the consonants: these are very pronounced. IMO, that's what the Dateline woman is striving for. It makes me cringe. She probably created it to fit in with her interpretation of what was required at Philips Exeter and Pomona, but that's not actually what students at those schools sound like.

I am bilingual UK and American English and I used to teach at Pomona, so this is where I'm coming from.

To give you a counter example to this young woman's accent, think JM. Notice that he's not overly precise with the consonants.
Having lived in California all my life, and half of it in Southern California, I have heard many Mexican Spanish accents in my day. Hers sounds like a genuine Mexican Spanish accent. I don't think she's affecting it to be like Jodi Arias. Her husband's accent is similar, and his descent is also Mexican.
In contrast, Juan grew up in Southern California, he is Mexican-American, not Mexican. English is his first language. Both Esparza and her husband's first language was Spanish.
I just don't think you can pin everything on her to be just like Jodi. I don't see this woman the same way, and I think it's highly plausible her father abused her as a little girl in Mexico. I've seen that type of man. I know they exist.

Ii
I posted this on the Sidebar and then thought maybe I should have posted it here, since we seem to have yet another Jodi clone.

Have you guys been reading at all about the woman kayaker who dumped her fiancé's kayak into the Hudson in April? When the water was freezing? The body was found in the last day or so. Angelika Graswald.

1. She has done several media interviews.
2. Her bond is $3 million.
3. Look at her mug shot: her smirk is even more developed than Jodi's. Just....plain.....sick.
4. She told police "it felt good knowing he was going to die".
5. She told police she tampered with her boyfriend's kayak.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/body-found-kayaker-alleged-murder-missing/story?id=31263143

Yes, I've been following. I see shades of our princess. Although, this one has money as a motive,too.

While, I believe the abuse could've definitely happened both with her dad and her victim, I still believe,Esparza is a manipulative, liar.

While, I believe the abuse could've definitely happened both with her dad and her victim, I still believe,Esparza is a manipulative, liar.

Maybe so, but not because of her accent, nor her being "soft-spoken". I think that's how she always speaks-in every single interview.

I guess I have lived my life with so many psychotic people that to me there was no curiosity for her.... It comes down to EXTREME selfishness, an over rated sense of self worth, chronic lying and her sense of self entitlement. There are other problems but from what I can tell there is something in the water cause people like her seem to be multiplying quickly.

I've lived with them too unfortunately, and people, if they're narcissistic, forget it, she will NEVER have regret. She blames the world for the darkness within her (and she's not born with it, she actively formulated a thought process against humans a looong time ago, now her brain is wired to perceive kind people as eventual threats/aka Travis).

Sorry, but I know what you mean, my brother's a psychopath, pretty certain, AND a narcissist. If he ever did something against the law, it'd be the once (only because he knows other times he didn't plot enough to carry out the perfect crime and would get caught and hasn't accepted being locked up in a box is ideal for him.. *shudders*, he'd have done it while out of control, AND without remorse because 'he had to do it.' And nope, it's not like he wouldn't be a threat to others while in prison, there's a danger within these people, they *PREY* on others mentally first. And that's how they wired themselves to feel good.

It's truly sick... but I feel Arias should have gotten death penalty for that reason. Minus any chance of appeals (I feel this process is too democratic/liberal, if you got DP, if the person's danger level is this obvious, I say no appeals, person's certain rights should be terminated once they are deemed that dangerous because they just want to play games before checking out and they might verbally abuse the victim's family members).

She will ALWAYS be looking to harm someone to mirror how she feels in her own head. It's all a game to her, and she likes the danger/thrill of stalking first. There is the understanding that men threaten with physical violence first/more often, women aren't as physically adept so they pick mental harm as their weapon. And prison has the best picking, many of them are dangerous, but many of them are vulnerable and/or unknowing (weaker personalities). I don't know about Perryville, but I believe the stats for women whom end up in prison simply for defending themselves against actual abusers/husband are on a higher scale than we realize. Which is why I guess, they picked that b.s. for JA, but she's not a victim, she is pathological. And anyone frail will become her target. She's ALWAYS up to something.

On the bright side, if she shanks someone, I so hope they wake up and give her DP already.

In contrast, Juan grew up in Southern California, he is Mexican-American, not Mexican. English is his first language. Both Esparza and her husband's first language was Spanish.

At the risk of being argumentative......My understanding is that Martinez was born in Mexico and spent his first few years there before his family emigrated to the US.

My linguistic comments have to do with clipping the consonants. I observed that Esparza (or whatever her name) does this all the time, not like Jodi who uses linguistic fakery intermittently when she's trying to sucker people, but otherwise almost certainly speaks very assertively. I believe Esparza adopted this quality in her language in order to fit in at Philips Exeter and Pomona. Ironically. this is not a good way to fit in, since it sounds "studied" and "affected".

And, yes, Esparza's husband sounds as though his first language is Mexican Spanish (not European Spanish). He does not clip his consonants when he speaks English.

The convicted butchering murderess's appellate attorney (Tennie Martin's) pic. She was admitted to the bar in 1995.

images.jpg

CAMPAIGN UPDATE

May 22nd - $62,796.55
May 15th - $61,206.55
May 8th - $60,452.55
May 1st - $56,092.55
April 24th - $54,002.55

wait what have i missed? is this jodis appeal fund or something?

i am facepalming so bad if it is.

Happy unofficial first day of summer, everyone!

As we await further news re possible charges, possible appeals, etc., etc., etc., it might be time to have a refreshing fruit drink.

sangria.jpg

You could probably find it quite easily by googling the title of the series. It was on just a week ago or the week before that. Actually, right at the date we were discussing it.

I actually did try googling Dateline and her name but could not find 'full episode' just small articles about her professor being considered as the mastermind, how she is a psychologist, about her defence etc: Maybe it is just not available in my area (NW Canada) but thanks for the tip!

I actually did try googling Dateline and her name but could not find 'full episode' just small articles about her professor being considered as the mastermind, how she is a psychologist, about her defence etc: Maybe it is just not available in my area (NW Canada) but thanks for the tip!

She's the one who's the professor, but not at a major establishment: a college (not a university, so it might actually be a high school, 'cos in Europe that's what "colleges" refer to) in Europe. And yes, she might very well have been the mastermind of the crime.

The episode was called "Secrets"? It was 2 hours long.

Love your name, by the way.

:seeya: Good Morning, Y'all !

Haven't checked for updates in a while ...

But last night, I was checking for updates on the Justice for Travis FB and saw a Tweet from Hayden, dated May 20, that Sheriff Joe's report on the :jail: "jail transgressions" will be released next week -- which is actually this week !

I can't wait to read that report !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member