Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cool, I'm just days away from his testimony (doubtfully I'll feel as excited while watching it lol). Your memory is correct about BN, it was obvious he had little experiential knowledge about the vast majority he was testifying to, in my mind, if you (in this case BN) can't explain something you know to someone who doesn't (his constant complaints to JM about not understanding computers) then you really don't understand it all that well yourself - his condescension just seemed to be a cover for his own lack of grasp of the issues and not being able to explain the results he got.

I can't help but suspect that BN's lack of clarity was at least partially intentional. It seems to have been a defense strategy which they spread across several of their witnesses. Like Fonseca, when the defense was questioning them they had no problem giving clear concise answers, but on cross, facts suddenly became more nuanced, and Juan was 'missing the point' with his questions. BN presented himself as a consummate professional, eminently qualified for this type of work, but when Juan pressed him, suddenly anonymous assistants had done the actual work and the facts became lost in the obscurity of someone else's responsibility. If they had been equally incompetent and dense for both sides it would be one thing, but when it's so obviously biased towards one side, that's a strategy. The only logical reason for such a strategy is that the facts were not on their side; there was no damning evidence on the computer, and Travis' actual behavior did not back up any of their claims in that regard.

On Facebook, @Justice4Travis, Enrique Cortez, Jr. and Zack Billings (roommates of Travis Alexander) post that they were informed today that their belongings have finally been released from evidence.

On Facebook, @Justice4Travis, Enrique Cortez, Jr. and Zack Billings (roommates of Travis Alexander) post that they were informed today that their belongings have finally been released from evidence.

Oh my, could we possibly begin to see some of the sealed docs unsealed?

I can't help but suspect that BN's lack of clarity was at least partially intentional. It seems to have been a defense strategy which they spread across several of their witnesses. Like Fonseca, when the defense was questioning them they had no problem giving clear concise answers, but on cross, facts suddenly became more nuanced, and Juan was 'missing the point' with his questions. BN presented himself as a consummate professional, eminently qualified for this type of work, but when Juan pressed him, suddenly anonymous assistants had done the actual work and the facts became lost in the obscurity of someone else's responsibility. If they had been equally incompetent and dense for both sides it would be one thing, but when it's so obviously biased towards one side, that's a strategy. The only logical reason for such a strategy is that the facts were not on their side; there was no damning evidence on the computer, and Travis' actual behavior did not back up any of their claims in that regard.

It's certainly possible it's strategy Steve, I may never recover from the exertion of patience getting through JM's cross of Fonseca. lol

People can't send her care packages - she can only receive letters, funds to her account via electronic transfer or securepak orders (which can only come from her approved visit list people). Securepaks are ordered from the approved vendor who offers a list of items, according the the inmate's allowed amts & restrictions - Max inmates are restricted from receiving several items others can get. Bartering is, I'm sure, accomplished occasionally in spite of the CO's watching for it, but probably not in Max. It's a big issue in prisons and from what I've read they've really cracked down on it - that's part of the reason restrictions have been placed on how funds are received, what can be in mail, and not being able to receive goods/food other than through securepak.

Hope4More I think quite a few of AZ's changes are a result of the ACLU/AZ DOC lawsuit and other's in other states re: solitary. Justice Kennedy just included quite a lengthy commentary about it on a Supreme Court decision the other day, even though the issue on appeal wasn't related to it. There are a lot of people working to bring an end to or to soften solitary of late.

I'm sure they are a result of the ACLU's lawsuit and ongoing monitoring.

About Kalief. I've read a great deal about him (the New Yorker articles about him are most detailed). Wasn't just solitude that drove him to attempt suicide multiple times and to finally succeed after he was out.

In for a petty crime he didn't commit, the 3 year wait for a trial, the constant brutality of guards and inmates, the fact he was just a kid.

He should never have been locked up at all, much less put in solitary. IMO only those convicted of violent crimes should face the possibility of solitary confinement, and it is impossible to justify imposing it for non-stop years at a time.

That said, call me barbaric, but I'm perfectly fine with having it remain a correctional option. My preference for the likes of CMJA, for example, is actually to throw her in general population but to deprive her of every avenue of access to the outside world other than calls and non contact visits with family.

Since that's never gonna happen as policy, bring on solitary confinement for the violent, at least until they're made to go through the motions of being manageable in prison.

Something has just occurred to me while listening to the hearings testimony, Travis' laptop was one busy computer when no one was sitting in front of it, when Det. Flores woke it up, the first thing it did was ping an airline, then it downloaded an iTunes update and Windows updates (according to BN, I believe), not to mention Spybot being accessed while T and JA were upstairs taking nude photos - whose computer does so many things when no one is using it? Just struck me weird.

Something has just occurred to me while listening to the hearings testimony, Travis' laptop was one busy computer when no one was sitting in front of it, when Det. Flores woke it up, the first thing it did was ping an airline, then it downloaded an iTunes update and Windows updates (according to BN, I believe), not to mention Spybot being accessed while T and JA were upstairs taking nude photos - whose computer does so many things when no one is using it? Just struck me weird.

The computer was on even if no one was using it. "Sleep" is not "off". If hooked up to a network, all kinds of things can be made to happen to a computer (or other device) that is on, intentional or not. Many people have been erroneously instructed to keep their computers on at all times; they are inviting trouble.

The computer was on even if no one was using it. "Sleep" is not "off". If hooked up to a network, all kinds of things can be made to happen to a computer (or other device) that is on, intentional or not. Many people have been erroneously instructed to keep their computers on at all times; they are inviting trouble.

Sure, and the computer sat there for 5 days before being woke up so a fair amount of things could have been ready for implementation but still it just struck me funny. Speaking of the iTunes update, did Travis have an iPod? I don't recall one being in evidence, nor an iPhone. In looking around, the App Store actually opened on July 10, 2008 via an iTunes update (although it didn't open for purchasing apps until the next day), I wonder if that was the update that downloaded into T's laptop?

Looks like it is final. the Alexanders could collect up to 50% of Jodi's $$ to make the restitution payment. Monthly as of June 22,2015.
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/…/…/062015/m6887559.pdf
SHERRY K. STEPHENS K. Schermerhorn
Deputy
STATE OF ARIZONA JUAN M MARTINEZ
v.
JODI ANN ARIAS (001) JENNIFER L WILLMOTT
AZ DOC - INMATE TRUST ACCOUNTS
CAPITAL CASE MANAGER
RFR
MINUTE ENTRY
8:53 a.m.
Courtroom SCT-5C
State's Attorney: Juan Martinez
Defendant's Attorney: Jennifer Willmott
Defendant: Presence Waived
Court Reporter, Mike Babicky, is present.
A record of the proceeding is also made by audio and/or videotape.
This is the time set for Restitution Hearing.
Court and counsel discuss matters.
Defense stipulates to restitution as follows:
SUPERIOR COURT OF ARIZONA
MARICOPA COUNTY
CR2008-031021-001 DT 06/22/2015
Docket Code 005 Form R000D Page 2
Samantha Alexander (Individual) $ 15,530.73
Tanisha Sorenson (Individual) $ 10,754.99
Hilary Wilcox (Individual) $ 4,232.11
Steven Alexander (Individual) $ 1,372.20
Dennis Alexander (Individual) $ 225.60
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that restitution is to be paid monthly, beginning today, at
the rate of 20-50% of inmate account as determined by ADOC.
A restitution ledger was not provided.
www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov
COURTMINUTES.MARICOPA.GOV

Statute authorizes 20-50% but I believe the DOC has set it as 20% - there are other req'd fees they collect so I suppose they want to make sure those other deductions can be rec'd?

Statute authorizes 20-50% but I believe the DOC has set it as 20% - there are other req'd fees they collect so I suppose they want to make sure those other deductions can be rec'd?

She's going to be watching that money go for a LONG time. I hope it infuriates her every time she sees it.

Mea culpa, in my above post I was thinking June (of '08 in relation to the App Store) when it opened a month after Travis was discovered, sorry about that. Still curious about the iTunes update, could you listen to iTunes on your computer back then (instead of having to have an iPod)?

Looks like it is final. the Alexanders could collect up to 50% of Jodi's $$ to make the restitution payment. Monthly as of June 22,2015.
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/…/…/062015/m6887559.pdf
SHERRY K. STEPHENS K. Schermerhorn
Deputy
STATE OF ARIZONA JUAN M MARTINEZ
v.
JODI ANN ARIAS (001) JENNIFER L WILLMOTT
AZ DOC - INMATE TRUST ACCOUNTS
CAPITAL CASE MANAGER
RFR
MINUTE ENTRY
8:53 a.m.
Courtroom SCT-5C
State's Attorney: Juan Martinez
Defendant's Attorney: Jennifer Willmott
Defendant: Presence Waived
Court Reporter, Mike Babicky, is present.
A record of the proceeding is also made by audio and/or videotape.
This is the time set for Restitution Hearing.
Court and counsel discuss matters.
Defense stipulates to restitution as follows:
SUPERIOR COURT OF ARIZONA
MARICOPA COUNTY
CR2008-031021-001 DT 06/22/2015
Docket Code 005 Form R000D Page 2
Samantha Alexander (Individual) $ 15,530.73
Tanisha Sorenson (Individual) $ 10,754.99
Hilary Wilcox (Individual) $ 4,232.11
Steven Alexander (Individual) $ 1,372.20
Dennis Alexander (Individual) $ 225.60
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that restitution is to be paid monthly, beginning today, at
the rate of 20-50% of inmate account as determined by ADOC.
A restitution ledger was not provided.
www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov
COURTMINUTES.MARICOPA.GOV

If Defense stipulated to the amounts, then that's all the victims/prosecution asked for (and not the 90 grand that was tweeted)?

Sure, and the computer sat there for 5 days before being woke up so a fair amount of things could have been ready for implementation but still it just struck me funny. Speaking of the iTunes update, did Travis have an iPod? I don't recall one being in evidence, nor an iPhone. In looking around, the App Store actually opened on July 10, 2008 via an iTunes update (although it didn't open for purchasing apps until the next day), I wonder if that was the update that downloaded into T's laptop?

IIRC Travis's ipod was fried? Is what he said in his journal . He wrote that the engagement ring was in Joidi'possesion, (but she had a good excuse she told him) his roommates camera was found out in a car , and his journals were missing. Who knows what she'd steal each time she was there.
I often wonder is planned if she had MM pawn or sale it. I was actually surprised that Jodi didn't go back to Yreka wearing it, since her daddy said she was planning on marrying Travis.

IIRC Travis's ipod was fried? Is what he said in his journal . He wrote that the engagement ring was in Joidi'possesion, (but she had a good excuse she told him) his roommates camera was found out in a car , and his journals were missing. Who knows what she'd steal each time she was there.
I often wonder is planned if she had MM pawn or sale it. I was actually surprised that Jodi didn't go back to Yreka wearing it, since her daddy said she was planning on marrying Travis.

Thanks ILike, at least there's a verifiable reason he was getting an iTunes update. :)

Oh, the misery! 98.5 degrees at 9:30 at night! I honestly think I'd kill myself. Hot flashes living at the beach were intolerable, I can't imagine this kind of heat at night.

PerryvilleTemperature.jpg

Speaking of Jodi Arias, and because you're all good at research, does anyone know how to acquire Jodi Arias's manifesto? I know that it's available on the web in PDF form but I'm trying to figure out where it originated from. It had to have come from court documents but if I wanted to could I buy a copy of it from the court? And how do you do that? Do you call the clerk and request a copy and pay for it over the phone? I know its not free.

Speaking of Jodi Arias, and because you're all good at research, does anyone know how to acquire Jodi Arias's manifesto? I know that it's available on the web in PDF form but I'm trying to figure out where it originated from. It had to have come from court documents but if I wanted to could I buy a copy of it from the court? And how do you do that? Do you call the clerk and request a copy and pay for it over the phone? I know its not free.[/

QUOTE]

For $4.99 you can view Beth Karas'site for a month. She has the manifesto and tons of other stuff on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akwy