September 11th 2001 Where Were You When the Planes Went Down

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As the linked articles above mentioned, our "flash bulb" memories of 911 do erode over time. I don't remember everything I did that day, but I still recall most of it.

I was working from home on charity work. I was watching CNN and talking on the phone to a co-worker who had a close relative who was a member of Congress. CNN had switched to live video of the first tower burning and I watched as the second plane hit the south tower. I told my friend to turn on her tv, as she didn't believe what I was telling her. As we talked, she interrupted and said she had to get off the phone as her relative was trying to call their home.

I kept debating whether to pick up my kids at school. I got in the car, then changed my mind on the way there. I thought (correctly) that the school preferred they stay there and go through a normal day unless something else happened. I detoured to the supermarket to pick up some things. I mostly remember just standing in an aisle staring at food on the shelves, in a trance. Then I heard people talking loudly in the front of the store, so I went up there. Customers and workers were crowded around a small tv set watching as one of the towers fell. I don't recall which tower, but am pretty sure it was the second one. I left and went to the gas station and as I was pumping gas, everyone at the pumps were talking to each other. Some man asked "are you ok?" I replied yes, and asked him the same. Everyone was trying to comfort and take care of each other. It seemed strange, but comforting that every stranger I saw that day felt connected to others. They talked and comforted each other.

I also remember sitting at my desk later, trying to keep up with news on the internet while working. The patio door was open and it was so quiet outside, as all the aircraft were being grounded. I remember hearing fighter jets flying over a few times. News said the Canadian military were flying their southern border (I live not far from it) and I was grateful they were doing that. Thanks, Canada!

I live in Sarasota too...I was at work, and one of our customets was the County emergency mgmt. I called my contact there, but she knew nothing. I was concerned that our town would be a target - after all, the President was here! My home is within a mile of the elementary school where Bush was reading to kids.

Hubby is a contractor and working at the airport. He saw the presidential plane come in, and he saw it / Bush leave ( something that wasn't confirmed in the media)

I know I watched a lot of BBC news, just to make sure it wasn't global.

The eerily silent sky's when there was a lockdown for those following days was so weird.

I had just started my senior year of college at Temple in Philly...I was in a senior seminar when the planes hit, but it took a while for the news to make its way to us. I knew something was wrong when my mom kept repeatedly calling my cell phone...I only used the phone for emergencies back then, and I think that was the first time anyone actually called me on it. I can still remember standing outside by a food truck while my mom was screaming something about terrorists. Scary day.

I was at work at a dental office in New England that day. We had just seen our morning patients and the doctor had just left for a bit. My friend/coworker and I had just finished cleaning up after the morning appointments and were taking our break. We sat eating and talking when our front office worker came in and told us that her husband had called and said that a plane had hit one of the world trade buildings. We thought that was weird and awful but soon carried on our conversation. Then a little while later she came in and said another plane had hit the other tower. The hair on my arms stood up. I was former federal law enforcement and an army veteran and I knew we were being attacked and I had my suspicions about who was behind it.

At this time we ran to find a radio to turn on and couldn't find one. So one of the other girls who lived close, went home to get one. When she returned we sat around and listened in horror and disbelief to what was unfolding. I was trying to call home because my husband was a federal law enforcement watch commander at a nearby military installation and I knew this meant my life at home was about to change in a big way. He finally called me back and told me he was having to report to the base and he didn't know when he was allowed to come home. Turns out he had to stay for about 9 days.

When the dentist returned to the office we asked him if we were going to close for the day and he said no. He said we were going to carry on because closing down would mean giving a victory to the terrorists. So we stayed and worked on peoples teeth....those that showed up anyway. Most of our scheduled patients did not show up the rest of the day. I remember stepping outside for a break and the weather was so beautiful that day. Not a cloud in the sky....and I thought "how could something so horrible be happening on such a perfect day?". It seemed surreal to me.

When I drove home that afternoon, I was struck with overwhelming emotion at all the US flags that I saw flying. Even the McDonalds off the highway had a gigantic flag flying.

I went inside my house, void of my husband, and turned on the news to see that it was far from over...horror on every single channel. I did nothing the rest of the day/evening but keep the TV on and talk to loved ones on the phone as it seemed our future was very uncertain. I cooked up many deserts too to keep myself busy so I wouldn't just sit on the couch and worry.

When my husband finally did come home, he was able to cry for the first time. The news was showing different reactions to what happened from around the world. When we heard them play our national anthem in front of Buckingham Palace, he lost it.

It was a weird and horrible time and something that, of course, we will never forget.

I worked back then for the American Red Cross, and with & for Holocaust survivors.

On that day, a reporter for a national magazine was there at our center to interview me for a story about my /the Center's work trying to locate Holocaust survivors around the world.

We had no television or radios in the center, and this was well before the time everyone had cell phones. The reporter had just begun interviewing me when I heard, in the background, our receptionist on the phone with her daughter, and her exclamations about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. "But it's such a clear day," I remember her saying.

The interview went on, as did the receptionist's phone conversation. And then, everything stopped. The journalist, myself, and a room full of Holocaust survivors listened as Pat, the receptionist, relayed the news that a second plane had hit the second tower.

I'll never forget the silence that followed. Or, the gathering of all of us around a table in the middle of our main room, holding hands, praying, almost all of us crying, mostly silently, as the reality hit us that perhaps thousands of people were dying in the very minutes we stood there, holding on to each other.

Being with Holocaust survivors that day made the experience more immediate, more real, and even more awful, because I witnessed the response of those incredibly brave and remarkable folks who had over the years become family to me; the real time post traumatic shock on their faces, the horrors of war brought back to them.

My husband called, he was trying to drive home, but we lived near DC, and he didn't know if and when he'd make it home that night.

The Red Cross responds to disasters, which means when everyone else gets to go home in a disaster, employees's work begins in earnest.

I supervised the Holocaust survivor volunteers. They needed to go home. So did I. I insisted to management that we be allowed to go, and we all left, on September 11. We all returned the next day, and for that day and for over a week, all of us put aside Holocaust-related work and answered the phone calls of people calling from states away, begging to be allowed to help, however they could, in any way, and immediately- including by giving blood, and the literally countless offers of tools, machinery, & strong arms to go to NYC and to dig in Ground Zero to try to find survivors.

Last edited:
I was in my 10th grade math class. I knew immediately who was behind it, because even then, I was a news junkie, familiar with the African embassy bombings and the attack on the USS Cole.

I remember listening to the ABC news broadcast on the radio, and hearing Peter Jennings describe the collapse of the second tower. None of our classrooms had working televisions, so I had to try and visualize what was happening.

When I got to my next class, the teacher decided that he was going to teach, and I decided I was going to leave. I walked out of class, and headed home.

When I finally got to a television, I saw what all of us will never forget. Those planes hitting. Those people jumping. And those buildings crumbling.

September 11 was just like any other day, until 8:46 AM, when the world was forever changed.

ha awesome writing loved it !!

When I got to my next class, the teacher decided that he was going to teach, and I decided I was going to leave.

when you all use commas correctly I so wish I could do that ! the commas make it hysterical

I got a phone call from my brother telling me my sister in law was in labor. The tv was on mute, I saw the first images and was stunned. I told my brother what I just saw and he said: oh gosh, that sounds like a terrorism attack. Both my sister and brother-in law worked at the Pentagon. We were desperate for information and torn apart.

I will never forget that tragic day and all the innocent people that lost their lives. My nephew gets extra hugs on each birthday...

I was home from school, my mom came in my room and said "terrorists just crashed two planes into the WTC in New York" still didn't process it, she came back in and said "terrorists crashed two more planes -- one into the Pentagon". Now as a puny 8th grader I had no idea what the WTC was, but I knew what the Pentagon was and I knew one more thing: my dad was an ironworker in Chicago. For hours that day, we waited on pins and needles, not knowing if terrorists were going to crash into buildings in other major cities. My dad left his cell phone in his lunch box and we had tried frantically to reach him, to see if he was safe or being evacuated just in case.

Finally he called us, he had heard the news from a Shock Jock radio host in Chicago and thought it was a prank. It wasn't until he got home he realized the gravity of the situation.

We were a nation brought to our knees. The coverage of the attacks spanned weeks nonstop showing the towers falling, people jumping to their deaths.

As I said, I had spent the day shopping with my Mom on September 11. It was late afternoon for us by the time the first plane hit as we were in Sofia, Bulgaria then. Mom and I had had so much fun, just shopping and gossiping and getting lunch. It was a bright day and I remember thinking what a nice day we had. Then we came home and saw the news. And it was like my whole being went into another dimension. I was in a trance just watching and thinking how I had just had the nicest day and how many of those people thought this was going to be a nice day for them too. I felt selfish.

Then I remember reading and seeing the interviews with Christine Hanson's grandparents. Christine, if you recall, was the youngest to die in the 9/11 attacks (2) and she was on the plane with her parents traveling to DisneyLand. They must have started out their day with such excitement. Taking their 2 year old to DisneyLand? Hell yeah.

Then Lee Hanson (Christine's paternal grandfather) spoke and explained how Peter (his son) had called from the plane and said, very calmly, "don't worry Dad. If it happens, it will be quick". Then he softly said "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" into the phone as he watched the plane approach. Lee and his wife watched the plane crash live on TV knowing that their whole entire family was on it.

Lee Hanson said something along the lines of "I heard my sons first words as he came into the world and I heard his last words as he left this world". It tore my heart out, always does and always will.

We live just south of AFB.....less then 10 miles. Husband is retired Army. We used the base for medical and other activities all the time back then.

Every work day I would get up, turn the bedroom TV on and jump in the shower. I would hear the news as I got out of the shower. My husband was downstairs getting ready for his day. He did not have the TV on.

The report was the first tower was hit. I yelled for my husband to turn on the TV. It was being reported that it was an accident. My husband who knows a bit about flying said that was no accident.

As we stood there the second plane hit the second tower. We knew we, the USA, was under attack. We saw the 2nd plane going to hit and stood there knowing it was an attack.

Having been in the apartment towers in Chicago back in the 1970’s I knew that the way out was limited. I never liked those apartments because of the height, they swayed, elevators were main way in and out. It was and still is a fire trap.

I called our sons. Both were still sleeping and thought their mom was nutty. Finally got both to turn on the news...

We have two portable black and white TVS. I took one and husband took the other as we left for our day.

Meanwhile, I had to go to work. The streets were pretty empty of traffic. I stopped for gas and so Did husband to top off the tanks. We remember the gas rationing years back when gas and oil were in short supply.

I got to work. Worked in a quilt store. We had a walk through doorway to the other business. The guys were glad I brought the TV....there were vets.

The other girl I worked with came in. She was clueless to what happened. I asked her if she had gas in her car. No, she was almost empty. I told her go get gas....even gave her money in case the credit card machines did not work. I did not explain anything just told her for once listen to me.
She came back an hour later saying there were lines around the block of people waiting to get gas. The gas station was only a block from the store.....lines already. She said most of the drivers were older people. She noticed that but still did not know what went on.

I then explained to her what happened to the towers and the USA was under attack. I will never forget her response. She told me she never watches the new, reads the news, listens to the news. She only wants her life to be happy so she only deals with happy things. I am thinking....but you have a son into drugs, daughter who wants everything money can and causes you problems....I am not processing this at all.

She would not listen to any of the new and just would chat to the very few customers that did come in. The owner should have closed the store as we only had about 3 customers in 10 hours. Many businesses did close, it was hit or miss.

Meanwhile, the roads around the AFB were closed. Traffic was detoured. Only people allowed on base were those really needed. All medical issues were handled off base....so people could get their medications. Medical appointments were cancelled and if an emergency then the patient was directed elsewhere. No shopping and the commissary/grocery store or using and other facilities on base. Civilian pharmacies and clinics were very helpful especially to the older people.

When base was finally opened up weeks later, security was still very tight and long lines to get on base. Bomb sniffing dogs, mirrors on dollies were rolled under cars plus searches of all cars etc.

Friends of my husbands who retired when he did were being recalled. Since my husband had lost all most all of his hearing he was not. We prayed for all.

All air flights were cancelled. The skies were so quiet. We are under a flight pattern. We hear and see the public airport planes as they go buy. Also, depending on factors the AFB goes over frequently. It was spooky to not hear a plane, jet, helicopter. When we did it was from the base and we all knew where they were going. Then it was silent again.

Sons were in college. One was a volunteer FF. The dept did not want him to go, needed here they said. brother was Houston LE. He said he was okay, everyone was taking precautions and could not tell me more.

That is what I remember of that time. I can only imagine what people of the era of WWII thought and felt like. This is not to make light of the other wars but I was thinkIng of the planes, the quiet, the bombings.

Tankful for all that gave their life and keep us safe.

I was at work. We were watching the news and saw the second plane hit live. I remember what a helpless feeling it was. My husband was scheduled to fly out that day. He kept saying he was going and I didn't want him to before all flights were eventually cancelled.

I was also pregnant and it was the first time I felt my daughter move.

I was 21 and had just graduated college in June. I moved back to my home town (NY) and got my first apartment in Brooklyn Heights on August 15th. I was still unemployed by September 11th. I woke up close to 9 am to my Italian landlords panicked yelling. I could tell something was wrong but couldn't understand what they were saying. I ran to my front south facing windows and opened the blinds. It looked like it was snowing outside but it was warm. I opened the door and the smell was something I will never ever forget. Electrical, dusty, it burned the back of your throat and you could taste it. Papers were falling on my front steps with the World Trade Center addresses on them. Bank receipts. 82nd floor. Pages from a law book. I thought maybe someones house was on fire and papers from it were flying around. There was no way my brain would comprehend the gravity on its own. I still heard yelling. I went inside and flipped on the television and watched the second plane hit. I put my converse on and they stayed on for two days. I paced my apartment for what seemed like hours until I needed to get out. I walked the few blocks to the Brooklyn Promenade feeling helpless. I had seen people jumping. I watched the second tower fall then walked back home. I didn't have a cell phone at the time and it took forever to reach anyone on the land line. I still have dreams about watching people jumping. A friend of mine worked on the Stock Exchange and evacuated even as he knew his father was trapped on a floor above the strike zone. That day and the days surrounding is burned into my head. The night before I had gone to see Zoolander. Random things. It fundamentally changed me as a person as i'm sure it did to so many. NYC was a strange place over the next few months.

Like every year I have watched the many continuous devoted hours Fox News always shows on the anniversary of 911.

I started watching at 6am this morning. I love all of the heartfelt stories by either those who were there that day or the many stories told by those who lost loved ones.

They also had those who had created foundations to honor those who died or those who felt compelled to enlist even though they knew they were heading to war.

It is a testament to those who willingly joined our miltary who knew the great risks that lay ahead of them.

It never grows old when I hear all of these heroic stories. It still affects me deeply bringing me to tears every year. I always learn a new story about someone who selflessly sacrificed so much.

This story is far from over. Sadly the victims taken will continue to climb as thousands of first responders are dying or are very sick from breathing in all of the deadly toxins caused by these terrorists attack.

I was on vacation in a very rural area of Ecuador. Someone ran up to me and screamed "bombardearon Nueva York". (they bombed New York!) It took a couple of hours to find a TV, and when I did find one, the endless loops of the planes hitting and the towers falling, I couldn't tell what was going on as it wasn't in English. It did occur to me that maybe my ATM card wouldn't work next time I go to a bank, and that REALLY bothered me.

I was working in Ireland at the time and was on my lunch break queuing in a shop. My brother texted me telling me to watch the news so I called him to find out what was going on. He said a plane had hit the WTC and it looked very bad. I didn't know what buildings were the WTC (visually I knew the towers of course but didn't know they were part of the WTC) and at first I thought it was the UN building that was hit. By the time I got back to work the second plane had hit so I didn't watch it live nor did I watch the collapsing towers live - I'm quite glad I didn't.

Someone found a tv somewhere and then no work was done at all that afternoon. We all just stared at the news for the rest of the day open mouthed.

I will never forget the bus journey home that evening as it was eerily silent, everyone was in complete shock.

I bought a copy of every newspaper title available the next day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46
Back