September 11th 2001 Where Were You When the Planes Went Down

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was at work (at a bank's head office) in England, I'd just had lunch and was back at my desk when a colleague casually mentioned a plane had hit the WTC. We assumed it was "just" a horrible accident but then another colleague and another walked by and told us the same, with increasing detail and concern. We went down to the staff room (big TV) and were watching the live interview when suddenly the second plane appeared and hit the other tower. We saw the people jumping / falling and all the smoke and panic, the fact it was happening live just blew my mind. I remember looking round the room at everyone's shocked and horrified faces as it dawned on us that life, worldwide, had changed forever.

In terms of "big news" it's up there with the death of Diana (1997) and the boxing day tsunami (2004) for keeping me absolutely glued to the telly.

I was sitting on the couch with my then 9 year old daughter, Anna. I recall being so confused. There was zero ability on my part to understand yet alone help Anna understand. Anna enlisted in the army after graduating high school. She was in Afghanistan - flying to Kabul or Kandahar regularly which was extremely risky. She listened to mortar fire day and night. Yhosr few moments sitting on the couch next to her mom affected her in ways I never would have imagined. I pray every day for peace for us all.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you for your daughter's service it was very courageous of her to enlist. I'm sure you were very worried about her the whole time.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences of this tragic, horrific day.

USA Today:

1,113 families still have no real confirmation of 9/11 deaths

---
Staffers at the medical examiner’s office still work to identify remains that turned up as recently as 2013. Families of 1,113 of the 2,753 who died still have no biological confirmation of death, according to New York’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

“Someone says to you, ‘Tough it up, kid. Move on. The person died 15 years ago,’“ says Arnold Korotkin, 71, a Montclair, N.J., sociologist and creator of a massive 9/11 listserv. “Forty to 50% of the families didn’t have any body parts returned to them. Only a small percentage had an entire body returned to them. Sometimes, it was just a wedding ring with a finger, or a jawbone with teeth.”

“This isn’t over,” Korotkin adds. “The wound heals and every Sept. 11 the scab gets taken off for a moment.”
---
more at the link

I was at a parent meeting in the school where I was an administrator. A parent got a call from our front desk that her husband was on the phone and needed to talk to her. She came back into the room and burst into tears and told us the first plane had hit the building. Her husband was on the upper floor of the first building hit. He was beginning the walk down and assured her everything would be okay. We turned on a television and saw the second plane hit. Many of my school's families had one or both parents who worked in the financial industry in lower Manhattan. Immediately there was panic and terror in the room.

It was surreal as stunned parents and nannies came to get their kids to go home and wait out the situation. At the end of the tragedy, we had lost a number of parents or relatives of students. Probably 80-90 percent of our families knew one or more people lost in the buildings.

The crazy thing is that on that afternoon the sky was so blue and so quiet (my school was on an airport flight path), When the administrators took the remaining students outside to let the faculty cry, grieve and collect themselves, we kept talking about the beauty of the day. We opted not to tell any students about what happened because we didn't know how many would have a parent lost. Families told their children when they were brought to the office as they were picked up. I knew that I would never be the same. All day long, I knew the world would never feel as safe to my students.

Each year, I have to gird myself for the day because it fills me with dread. I never had felt so afraid as that day. I also knew I was responsible for each child in my care. At the end of the day when each child was picked up, I was numb.

We decided at 5 pm that day that we would open our school the next day for any child whose family wanted them to come. We also opened our doors to parents, families, nannies and anyone connected so they would not have to be alone. Some of our parents offered to make food and coffee. It was an awesome feeling to be a part of a community that could come together. I only did that one more time---when Sandy Hook happened not so far from my building.

i went home that night and cried. I couldn't stop watching the news. I had nightmares for months. I lost three college friends, one of whom had just started work at Cantor that morning. I won't tell his story but it was horrific. I had one friend who lost 56 people she knew from Morgan Stanley and 20 people from Cantor Fitzgerald. It got so I could not go to anymore services or funerals because I couldn't handle it.

I live less than 10 miles from the WTC site. I went in to help provide water and supplies right after the event as I was a trained responder for my school and community. But I have never been back to financial district since. I am appalled that they charge for people to go to the memorial museum except for families. I don't think I could go. But on that day, I was family even though I was not related as was every other American.

:grouphug: These stories are amazing, moving and haunting. Feeling a need to hug you all.

Yes! Was just coming to post that same kind of thought. I live near to an airport and am under the regular flight path. So quiet, and the sky so uncluttered by jet trails. Isn't it strange how we didn't really notice them when they were a constant in our day and yet the moment they were gone we noticed their absence?

So true. Being near NYC, the only thing we heard in the sky was fighter jets going north and south up and down the Hudson or east and west on Long Island Sound. No vapor trails on the regular paths. Each of those days after was beautiful in and around NYC.

On a family day out to Banburgh Castle in the NE of England. We heard it on the radio as we were on our way home. Surreal doesn't describe it. Ive always been an airplane buff, it didn't make sense. I remember saying they must be mistaken, it must be a Cessna or something, a passenger jet? No way.

Unreal

Eerily on the way up there in the morning we drove around the outskirts of Newcastle and close to the airport near there, and saw a low flying jet coming in to land, my husband said words none of us would ever forget "imagine if that crashed into one of those tall buildings over there" We all shuddered at the thought. Still freaks me out to this day.

The trip was part of our belated honeymoon as we got married in July. We went to the pub in the evening to watch Liverpool in the Chamions League, people were silent it was so weird, I don't think anyone knew what to do, and everyone was scared.

I was teaching my 3rd grade class on Long Island, about 45 miles from Manhattan. I didn't find out until about 11:30 when a colleague came into my classroom. He realized from my demeanor I didn't know what happened. Then about 1/2 later the principal went around notifying the teachers and faculty. We were told not to tell the students what happened. Parents began taking their children out of school. The children kept asking why so many of the kids were leaving. By the end of the school day,I only had 4 students in my class. There were several people from the town I taught in that were killed that day.

I had just sent my kids off to school. I was with my husband in the car when the first tower was hit. It was surreal.
We really didn't comprehend what was happening. Until the second tower was hit. We panicked and rushed to pick up our boys from school. We just wanted them home. By the time we got there, schools were on lockdown. We live in NY. We sat outside, listened to news and cried. The school called our cell and requested that we leave the kids in school. Some parents worked at WTC and the district did not want the kids to know what happened, yet. We sat there, until dismissal. 3 o'clock. In our car. In shock.

There was so much more to that day and the weeks and months to follow. To our family and friends. Some who perished. Some who are suffering from PTSD and will never recover.

September 11th is a very emotional day for everyone I know.

I was babysitting my three year old granddaughter, watching Sesame Street, when her father came flying into the house asking if we'd seen the news. I turned the channel in time to see the second plane fly into the building and we instantly said, "My God, this a terrorist attack." At the time I worked evenings in the tallest building in Baltimore. I called in and told them to watch the news and that I wasn't coming in to work that night. They didn't know how many attacks might still happen. Ever since, I've been addicted to the news, it's on 24/7...

September 11, 2011

I was in Houston, TX with my sister whom was diagnosed with cancer, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, when the phone rang, and someone said, "turn on the tv, we are being attacked", we did, and as we sat in disbelief, we saw the second tower hit. We were glued to CNN and didn't know what to do, we panicked. I was supposed to fly out (home) that day at 3:15pm, which was cancelled. My other sister had boarded a plane, AA out of DC, and was headed to Houston, to help out and intersperse for me.

However, both of us went into shock, trying to find out if our sister was on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC and with no avail, we had no idea. I remember crying, having panic attacks, trying to stay calm for my sick sister, even though, she was in total despair herself.

Hours went by, it seemed like days/weeks/months/years before we heard that all planes were to be grounded. We also learned of the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, we became unglued with unanswered questions about our sister. I think at that point the forth plane hit in PA and both of us were distraught from crying during all this. We watched firemen, policemen, all LE, people running screaming, just not knowing what to do, just like us. I remember us praying, looking out at the beautiful blue sky, and talking to our family members on the phone in disbelief, we couldn't comprehend the things we were seeing, people jumping out of the towers, no planes flying above, it became so quiet in Houston, TX.

It was a very somber day, we never told our mom, the situation, because we really didn't know what to say, and then God answered our prayers, we received a phone call.....it was our sister, her plane had landed in Little Rock, AR approximately an 8 hour drive from where we were. I(we)will never forget that moment in time....:crying:

My sick sister's husband went and picked her up in AR and brought her to TX and we were all together for some time. I do not remember what date I got to return home, but I do recall the flight back, it was sad, lonely, empty, faces were all blank, and there was a stare in peoples eyes, that I will never be able to explain.

......my sister succumb to cancer the following May :rose:

9/11 affected everyone.....and always will
Godspeed

It was about 5:30 am, California time. I had gotten up early to shower before my husband and kids had to get up for school and work. I liked to have coffee and watch the morning news while I made lunches etc... A BREAKING NEWS report came onto the local station and I sat in shock, trying to figure out what was going on...When my husband came down stairs an hour later, he was also in shock. We just sat and stared in disbelief.

When our 13 yr old got up, he saw us both crying, at the kitchen counter. So we tried to somehow explain what was going on, as he was in middle school, and I figured it would be a topic of conversation. And he sat and watched it with us. We were all so numb by the time we left for school. I took the kids to school late because of the situation and I was amazed at how many people had no idea what was going on yet. Many were up and off to school and work before hearing about the tragedy on the East coast. My husband is from Boston and this hit him very hard.

It still knocks the wind out of me occasionally. :sigh:

My story is almost identical to yours Katydid. I'm also in CA. I remember standing next to my kitchen counter with a cup of coffee watching the news. My kids were also still asleep. When I saw the aftermath of the first plane I thought surely this must be a tragic accident! I remember the second plane coming toward the second tower. People saying run! People on the ground screaming! I knew in that instant we were under attack. I thought my knees would buckle beneath me. I staggered to my couch. I felt like I was in shock, tears streaming down my face. I'll never forget..............

I was at work and was actually getting the third degree from the assistant principal who had called me to his office to ***** at me about something stupid. He was a complete idiot... Anyway, another teacher poked her head in and told us about it and he waved her away so he could keep on...

But eventually I went to the library (I was the librarian) and watched the second tower go down on the tv in my office with some of my co-workers. It almost felt like an out of body experience, it didn't seem real.

I lived in Atlanta and for a long time I was afraid we would be a target because of the CDC.

Like so many others I remember that tragic day vividly. I had just pulled out of my driveway to bring the kids to school and then to work after. I heard the news on the radio about the first plane hitting the WTC and my first thought was - what a terrible accident. When I got to my office my hubby told me my mom had just called and said she thought we might be under attack. We turned on the tv and watched the terrible events unfold. It was surreal and as I tried to wrap my brain around it I thought, just for a moment, that it was just a terrible prank in a 'War of the Worlds' kind of way. I remember sadness, then anger but never fear.

The school our kids attended always took a field trip for 7th and 8th graders to Washington DC every other year. A trip had been planned for April, 2002. We had to make a decision on whether or not to cancel the trip. The decision to go as planned was unanimous. We had 9/11 tee shirts made with the American flag on the back. It was a great trip.

My husband and I were visiting in Oakland CA from Oregon to help my Mom, who had just gotten out of the hospital. We had celebrated our 35th anniversary the night before (tonight we celebrated our 50th--time flies!). We were still asleep around 8:00 a.m. in a guest room at my mother's retirement community. The phone rang and it was my husband's buddy Bob in Oregon asking if we'd heard the news, telling us to turn on the TV. We were stunned. My husband had been listening to his headphone radio around 5:30, trying to get back to sleep, and heard the original reports, but it didn't make sense, and he went back to sleep. Now, we saw the reality.

My 89 year old mother, in the early stages of dementia, took it in stride, but we were unraveling. My husband was scheduled to meet his friend Bob near Vacaville on Interstate 80, so they could ride together to a gathering near Santa Cruz. I drove him there along the eerily empty freeway, looking up for stray planes, fearing an attack in the S.F. Bay Area.

I returned to my Mom's and spent most of the next week sorting and sifting her cluttered studio apartment so that it was safe for her to return. Peter Jennings was my comforting news anchor companion. Watching the destruction in NYC, while throwing out meaningless stuff my Mom had kept years, seemed connected somehow in a weird way. All those papers fluttering down from the Towers...my Mom's 30 years of bank statements...Life means more than the stuff we keep.

Returning to Oregon, we decided to declutter and simplify. One thing led to another. We ended up selling our home and becoming full time RVers in a 34 foot fifth wheel for eight years. While picking up our RV at the factory, in December 2002, we met a couple who had been displaced from their apartment close to the Trade Center. They used their settlement money to buy an RV to live and travel in full time, like us. The events of 9-11 had impacted our lives, directly in their case and indirectly in ours, and we met and became friends as a result of decisions we made in the aftermath.

I knew life would never be the same, but fifteen years later, the world is even more unstable than we could have ever imagined on September 11, 2001. My heart aches for those who were directly affected by the events of 9-11, and for those affected by terrorism since then and for those who will be in the future. :(

I was working at a new job I'd only been at for the past 3 months. I had just flown home (the day before) from South Carolina where I was at training. My boss chose to stay behind for a few days to see some sights. While I was sitting alone in our office, the news hit. I remember it was a scary time -- we had a very small office (only the two of us), so I was alone, and wished there were someone else there to share this with. I remember how odd it was, to see not a single plane in the sky, and wonder if more attacks were coming. My boss, who stayed behind, ended up having to carpool home with strangers. As you might imagine, with there being no flights, the rent-a-car places and busses were all filled up. It took her days to get home, and her carload was going to Michigan, not Ohio. She had to have her parents (who lived in Michigan) drive her home.

I was at home with my 1 year old daughter in Bristol, UK. My Mum phoned to tell me to put the news channel on TV, it was somewhere between 1pm and 2pm and I hardly moved for the rest of the day, just could not believe what I was seeing. Cried watching the people falling from the towers.

My sister's husband at the time was American,he was on a flight from London to Texas to meet his brother for a shooting event, his plane was diverted to Newfoundland for 3 days.. The local people rallied round and provided clothes/toiletries/food etc as they had no access to their luggage. As his trip was only a very short one, when they were eventually allowed to fly he chose to come back to the UK as no point continuing his journey as the event was over. Must have been very scary but I never got the chance to speak to him about it, they separated a year or so later.

Sleeping when my husband called me to turn on the news. My daughter was 4 months old. To get away from the horror of what was on TV all day, I fed her her first solid food that evening in the dining room. Unfortunately, it's also my older brother's birthday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back