Serbia - Vladislav Ribnikar Elementary School, Kosta Kecmanović, 13, shoots fellow students, 8 killed - Belgrade, 3 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
A teenager who killed eight fellow students and a security guard in a Serbian school planned the attack for weeks and had a "kill list", according to police.

The 13-year-old was arrested following Wednesday morning's attack at the Vladislav Ribnikar primary school in central Belgrade.
Another six pupils and a teacher were also injured in the shooting.

The motive for the attack is still being investigated, police said.

Officers in helmets and bulletproof vests cordoned off the area around the school, located in the central Vracar neighbourhood, shortly after 08:40 (06:40 GMT).

The suspect, named by police as Kosta Kecmanovic, is alleged to have used his father's guns, both of which had legal permits. He is also said to have gone to a shooting range more than once with his father before the killings.

The boy's mother and father have since been arrested.

What an incredible tragedy! I heard on "All Things Considered" that the boy was, for now anyway, being sent to a psychiatric facility because children under 14 cannot be charged with any kind of crime in Serbia.

TBH, I'm expecting some people to scream "misgyny" because as of now, 7 of the 9 fatalities are girls, but really, I suspect they simply happened to be the nearest targets, and we don't know the genders of the people who were injured.

What an incredible tragedy! I heard on "All Things Considered" that the boy was, for now anyway, being sent to a psychiatric facility because children under 14 cannot be charged with any kind of crime in Serbia.

TBH, I'm expecting some people to scream "misgyny" because as of now, 7 of the 9 fatalities are girls, but really, I suspect they simply happened to be the nearest targets, and we don't know the genders of the people who were injured.

It seems the kill list and other recovered materials might provide insight into motive.

I hope “some people” DO scream on behalf of the victims, regardless of the motive or genders involved.

His kill list should serve well to determine whether misogyny was a factor. MOO

This was a tremendous shock not only in Serbia but in neighboring countries as well. Something, I guess unimaginable till yesterday. The shooter is coming from a prominent family - the father is a radiologist and the mother is an assistant to a professor at Belgrade University. The father was the one who took him to the shooting range and held in the apartment various weapons. The father is currently arrayed and is expected to be prosecuted.

I don't think that misogyny was the trigger. On his list, was a mixed bunch - boys and girls. Although, not all killed or wounded were on the list. One of the killed was a very talented pianist who even won an award in a competition for young musicians.

4 boys and 2 girls were injured. One boy and one girl are in critical condition.

A second mass shooting near Belgrade...

A man has been arrested after eight died and 14 were injured in Serbia's second mass shooting in a week.

(...)

President Aleksander Vucic pledged the "practical disarmament" of the country, as he announced a list of new security measures intended to improve gun control on Friday morning.

The suspect - who has only been identified by his initials UB - was detained near the city of Kragujevac, the interior ministry said.

The arrest followed an extensive manhunt, which local media reported involved over 600 police officers. He was eventually found hiding at his grandfather's house, Serbian broadcaster RTS reported.

(...)

I live in Belgrade, 15 minutes on foot from Vladislav Ribnikar. I never, ever thought this would happen here. Yesterday I went to lay flowers and it was heartbreaking and surreal. Everyone I know is in an absolute state of shock, especially as there was another mass shooting in nearby Mladenovac yesterday...I don't even know what to say. It's horrendous.

That's assuming that the victims, fatal or not, were on his list.
No, you are assuming that.

The list speaks to motive and planning the attack. The victims are the casualties of the attack itself. One can intend to murder a class of people and end up killing others during the execution of the attack.

don't know how the media in Serbia is allowed to report on these crimes, esp. considering this shooter is a minor

will we hear any more info regarding the parent's charges or the kid's crimes?

The PRESIDENT of Serbia, Aleksandar Vučić, is talking about two massacres in Serbia tonight in Dnevnik Radiotelevision Serbia.

At the beginning of the talks, he announced that more "very harsh measures" would be adopted to prevent the possibility of a repeat of the mass crimes we witnessed last week.

As he said, citizens have been given the opportunity to surrender illegal weapons themselves in the next month, and after that deadline they will face severe penalties.

"The measures are such that we will take illegal weapons from tomorrow. You have one month to deliver illegal weapons and illegal ammunition to the police station without consequences. Yesterday we found several automatic rifles between Krnjača and Ovča, 650 rounds of ammunition were thrown. I am only asking people to leave to the police station and leave it," said Vučić.

---
"Have you seen how many contents you have on social networks, those that are the most popular, with millions of views and in our country, that say that haters should be killed. I will show it to the nation tomorrow. Let's say, the killer was a follower of that one. Do you want me to let's arrest that man immediately and sentence him to 15 years because this man is showing her how he kills, and this other one (Golubović) was talking nonsense about his old days and I don't know why, and this kid was following him on social networks, we have proof for that. You haven't seen it yet? I'm letting you know. You'll see it tomorrow night," said Vučić.

and what he means here is there are ultra-nationalistic influencers that openly encourage this kind of behavior and the president wants to expose them.

The minister of education resigned.

1683494258742.png

dbm, repeat post because I was struggling to quote :rolleyes:

No, you are assuming that.

The list speaks to motive and planning the attack. The victims are the casualties of the attack itself. One can intend to murder a class of people and end up killing others during the execution of the attack.
My cyrillic isn't great, but from what I could see of his "hit list", at least one of the victims from the shooting was included on it. Really horrible.

Gun owners across Serbia have turned in thousands of weapons as part of an amnesty program aimed at reducing the number of firearms in the hands of civilians after two mass shootings stunned the country last week, according to the government.

The shootings, one by a minor armed with his father’s pistols and the other involving an illegal firearm, prompted the Serbian president, Aleksandar Vucic to promise the “almost complete disarmament” of the country. Gun owners were given a one-month amnesty period to surrender illegal weapons without penalty ahead of the enactment of more stringent regulations.

A total of 17 people were killed and 21 injured in the two shootings. In the first shooting, on May 3, a seventh grader killed eight fellow students and a security guard at his school in the Serbian capital, Belgrade. In the second, a day later, eight were killed in a series of attacks in villages south of Belgrade.

In a statement posted on Instagram, the country’s interior ministry said almost 6,000 unregistered weapons had been handed over to the authorities since the start of the amnesty program on Monday. In a news conference on Friday, Mr. Vucic said more than 9,000 “legal and illegal” weapons had been collected, but it was not clear if that number also included guns that had been seized or if they had all been handed over voluntarily.

ap23132647988661_custom-a843ea0a46e3bb2f77d930c8b402219e5090f633-s1100-c50.jpg

People march during a rally against violence in Belgrade, Serbia, on Friday, May 12, 2023

The two shootings happened within two days of each other and left 17 people dead and 21 wounded. On May 3, a 13-year-old boy used his father's gun to open fire at his school in central Belgrade. The next day, a 20-year-old man randomly fired at people in a rural area south of the capital.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megaera
Back