Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to the house since Chris is in jail if he doesn't pay the mortgage? Does the lawsuit prevent it from going into foreclosure?

Only if the judge directs the lender that way. Otherwise, the lender gets to do what lenders do.

Only if the judge directs the lender that way. Otherwise, the lender gets to do what lenders do.

I can't imagine the lender is in any hurry to foreclose and own this house. Talk about a tough sell and potential big loss.

I was about to post that exact thought.

Mrs. gets mad at me because I make people sit while I read every word of anything before I sign it, and draw lines through parts I don't like. But she will sign where I ask her to. Of course, I'm honest, I love her and I would never try to pull anything on her, so the trust is not misplaced. But it would be easy to do.

When we bought our house, I started out going through everything line by line but then it got so tedious that I skimmed through it & signed.
Luckily I didn't sign away my first born (although since she was a difficult teenager I might have been ok with it).
My husband was the one who just signed where I told him to.
Her taking out a mortgage and signing a quit claim deed in the same day makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

SoIllinoisMan, thank you so much for the info you submitted a few pages back. I've been very upset about the ministries' roles in this case. I do hope JM counsels those employees who didn't disclose CC's infidelity in the first place! And I look forward to hearing her speak about this case and how they have handled it from a testimony point of view.

When we bought our house, I started out going through everything line by line but then it got so tedious that I skimmed through it & signed.
Luckily I didn't sign away my first born (although since she was a difficult teenager I might have been ok with it).
Her taking out a mortgage and signing a quit claim deed in the same day makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As a lender, I have been there with my clients for doc signing many times and explained EACH and EVERY document to my clients "in a nutshell". I would stop at the more important docs and explain those more clearly, letting them know which docs were the most important and why. If I didn't do this myself, I made sure I knew the escrow officer enough that I knew he/she would do the same. That's why I don't care for online lenders.

I have a feeling that SC's family would mind less for the house to go into foreclosure than they would for CC to get one cent out of it.

Can someone link me to the docs? I'd like to find out who the escrow company was...and ask the locals about them. Thanks!

I have always read that it is best to have a real estate attorney represent you (buyer or seller) at closing. The attorney should have the closing papers sent to him and he reviews prior to the actual closing and signing of documents. That way, anything that is incorrect can be caught and fixed. Unfortunately, not many people do this. (No, I am not an attorney.)

Tidbit I found...

The Coleman family attended the Destiny Church, which will be having special services this weekend in their honor. They said Sheri Coleman worked at the church and then volunteered as their mission's trip coordinator. She had gone to Cambodia last year and was heading to India in August.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=174609

Chestergal, did the paper come out today? I was wondering if they come out early now like we were wondering and if they have the case on the front page or not! Thanks!

I have a feeling that SC's family would mind less for the house to go into foreclosure than they would for CC to get one cent out of it.

the refi was for ~$30k more than the first mortgage, in a time when most homes in the country dropped in value.

I doubt there is any equity in the house anyway.

Considering the next buyer will have to be able to get around the fact that the last family that lived there was murdered in their beds, the house is worth a good deal less now than it was 30 days ago.

I have always read that it is best to have a real estate attorney represent you (buyer or seller) at closing. The attorney should have the closing papers sent to him and he reviews prior to the actual closing and signing of documents. That way, anything that is incorrect can be caught and fixed. Unfortunately, not many people do this. (No, I am not an attorney.)

Not knowing the way Illinois does things, I am concerned that perhaps The Money Store just mailed these docs to the Colemans and they never sat down with anyone! On the west coast, all of this is done and notarized at once. FOR PROTECTION!

Nope. That's why I was gripping a few pages back.

Carp! Well, we can't get to the bottom of this, can we? Those from Illinois, did you guys sit with anyone during a refinance? An escrow officer? Lender? Who notarized the Deed of Trust?

The more I think of it the only sense I can make of this is that CC merely wanted money out of the house and get SC off the deed at the same time. It sounds like the amount he got was about all the equity they had. So if they were to divorce, he wouldn't have to wait to sell the house to get his half. In fact it allowed him to get his and SC's as well.

ETA: Sheri probably knew nothing about this.

You know...I guess it COULD take a little extra pocket change to keep a girlfriend on the side happy, couldn't it? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member