Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, is it possible that they want to get some of the details of death out there in the hopes that CC will plead the case out? I mean, once the more damaging details are out in the open, it might help force his hand, even possibly cause his family to give him a 'push' so to speak? Otherwise, I have no idea, but I don't see why not either.

I hope he will plead out, but I'll bet he won't.

Holy smokes...

Just rereading this:
>>The Coroner will summon to the inquest the individuals who have pertinent information concerning the incident. This often includes, but is not limited to, the person who found the deceased, witnesses to the incident, those involved, police officers and investigators, and in some instances, a direct relative. <<

Might they call in CC to be that direct relative, to hear everything, to get on the stand and say again how his wife was alive at 5:45AM (his words, it was actually 5:43AM per the surveillance video). Might they want him "hearing the reports" and "seeing the photos" -- "getting it" to the point of confession and in order to help save everyone in Illiniois the waste he will cause them?

Thoughts anyone?

Would the def atty's allow him to testify or even appear?

Holy smokes...

Just rereading this:
>>The Coroner will summon to the inquest the individuals who have pertinent information concerning the incident. This often includes, but is not limited to, the person who found the deceased, witnesses to the incident, those involved, police officers and investigators, and in some instances, a direct relative. <<

Might they call in CC to be that direct relative, to hear everything, to get on the stand and say again how his wife was alive at 5:45AM (his words, it was actually 5:43AM per the surveillance video). Might they want him "hearing the reports" and "seeing the photos" -- "getting it" to the point of confession and in order to help save everyone in Illiniois the waste he will cause them?

Thoughts anyone?

Things may change before now and then, but the article in the Stl Post Dispatch states the following:

"Gummersheimer said she has subpoenaed only one witness for the public proceeding, Columbia Police Chief Joe Edwards."

I hope he will plead out, but I'll bet he won't.
Me too, but I was being hopeful. He needs to admit his wrongdoing and go forward (wherever that might be?) and I would hope being faced with the ugly truth might assist him on that level.

~TCO~ ever hopeful.......

:cool:

There is a rumor out there that Chris' mom was hospitalized.

There is a rumor out there that Chris' mom was hospitalized.

Recently? I'm sure this has been difficult for her - especially since she is ill. I heard someone say she has cancer, but someone else said it wasn't cancer, but something else. So I'm not sure - maybe someone local can weigh in on this. I can't imagine the stress of this whole situation can't be helping her any.

Just caught up on reading. Laci's murder was the first I ever knew about forums and blogs. That wasn't my first high profile case from here at home but the most devastating. Right next to it was the Chandra Levy/Gary Condit thing. We had a murder in the area just a few years ago and it divided a local church and some of those came here to our church. They wanted us to jump on the not guilty bandwagon of this accused man and my boss, the pastor, would just not get on that wagon. Sure glad he didn't!

Recently? I'm sure this has been difficult for her - especially since she is ill. I heard someone say she has cancer, but someone else said it wasn't cancer, but something else. So I'm not sure - maybe someone local can weigh in on this. I can't imagine the stress of this whole situation can't be helping her any.

They said she had Lou Gehrigs disease...

Also had my local say they checked and there are no headstones placed yet.

Here is a photo at the findagrave.com website.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3816108&postcount=12"]Here is a message I wrote earlier[/ame], when I could see a little of the text on the "stones" placed by the children's markers. I believe my previous message points to the children's stones where you can see them more clearly -- I don't recall now.

Hello Lajr56,

Good question... Insurance does not always immediately pay off, on the contrary. While it might pay in the future, there is still the need to cover immediate costs. There are many who would, in care and concern (thinking you were a victim of a terrible crime against your family), chip in to assist on covering things -- so they do.

BTW, dealing with the loss of 3 family members all at once, even if you got some type of discount would probably be fairly expensive (I would be very interested in the local funeral bill in Chester.) One of my High School classmates is one of the local funeral home owners where we are, and has always been very forthright in answering my questions -- there are costs that must be paid for so many things, businesses cannot just give their work away or they cannot stay in business. Even if they felt impelled to do things at cost, I can't imagine that the handling of 3 deceased with coffins, vaults, plots (a cost at the local cemetery), etc. would be cheap.

Later on, if/when a life insurance policy pays off, it certainly seems like a person "might" consider contacting those who helped early on saying, "You helped me when I was hurting and didn't have the money to pay for 3 funerals, may I now pay you back?" Many would never accept that...they gifted from their hearts. On the other hand, I suppose it is possible that a funeral director, if you were very close to them, could look at a life insurance policy/policies and say -- I'll give you credit. It is kinda left to the business person, I might guess. And I might guess that the funeral director would be looking at the situation as well -- were this a car accident, where the last family member were away, I would say the whole situation would be completely different than looking at a situation where a guy who said he went to the gym, leaving a sleeping family, only to come back an hour and 8 minutes later to finding them all strangled. But, who knows...

A friend of mine once asked me for a suggestion about the monetary gift they should take to a particular funeral (a murder victim, their ex-husband), i.e. this was in their religious training -- it was customary to assist the bereaved family financially. I had never heard of that, but would certainly have been open to it, I just had never heard of this being some type of custom or "set" type of requirement. To me, attending a funeral is paying "respect" and showing love for the deceased -- I might send flowers/card or contribute to something on their behalf, but I have never felt that I am required to do anything, much less help pay the bills of anyone else (nor do I feel that anyone is required to help pay my bills). No one who has ever invited me to a funeral ever had any ulterior motive in inviting except to pay respect -- at least, I have never felt that. If I did anything to help the person pay bills, that would be completely voluntary -- I have NEVER felt pressured, and if I was, it would not be acceptable to me.

I do not find it entirely odd that a "bereavement" collection might be taken (I certainly wouldn't if it was a car accident, especially with mom and 2 children dying). People's hearts are generally very open at such great losses as that of a friend/s and/or loved one/s -- and aching for themselves and the relatives. I think that, however, IF there was a death or a set of deaths with any kind of cloud of suspicion it might be extremely unwise and odd to move in the direction of taking a collection. At anyrate, I have NEVER been to a funeral where a collection plate was passed.

IF anyone in my family passed away, I would BALK at anyone's suggestion of the discomfort of a collection plate being passed at their funeral or memorial service. IN FACT, at the churches where we go, there is no plate passed generally, that has generally been done away with, it would be HUGELY rare. The pastor might feel to let those who do not know that there is a box at the back of the church for gifting, should anyone feel impelled for any purpose. I love this -- people are left to follow their hearts -- they can gift at the box, or they can call the church office to gift.

It was stated by a relative that Sheri's brother paid for the burials. Also, funeral homes usually do give the family several weeks for insurance to pay and have them sign a note for whatever the costs. Could it be possible there was no insurance? Insurance money would be a motive, but I don't think that has been mentioned, please correct me if I'm wrong.....

Mawgyver ~
glitteryourway24a1248dka9.gif

Thank you for joining us!

In answer to your question, it seems like we talked about a life insurance policy in the beginning of this case, but I don't remember ever proving that there was such a policy!

I did some searching of old threads and nope, can't find any proof of any life insurance.

Mawgyver ~
glitteryourway24a1248dka9.gif

Thank you for joining us!

In answer to your question, it seems like we talked about a life insurance policy in the beginning of this case, but I don't remember ever proving that there was such a policy!

Thanks for having me! I realized after my post the same information was already provided. Sorry for the duplicate!

Something I don't recall see being mentioned....we are looking for a large sum of money that was given to the fund.....possibly CC's retirement plan funds? At a salary of $100,000 annual, any employer contribution may have been substantial.

Greetings Mawgyver,

Welcome to WS :)

It was stated by a relative that Sheri's brother paid for the burials. Also, funeral homes usually do give the family several weeks for insurance to pay and have them sign a note for whatever the costs. Could it be possible there was no insurance? Insurance money would be a motive, but I don't think that has been mentioned, please correct me if I'm wrong.....

I cannot recall having seen anything documenting that Sheri's brother paid for the burials. I have seen in the court order, permitting Sheri's family to take Sheri and the children to Chicago for the service and back again, that Sheri's family said that they would pay the costs to do that.

Sphew, found the document here:

Here is text from page 6 of 10:

>>9. At 12:58 I returned Christopher's call to his cell phone and advised him, as previously stated, my family would accept his offer of allowing the bodies to be sent to Chicago and further, my family members would pay all costs associated with transporting the remains to and from Chicago.<<

As for insurance, I don't think we have any information on whether there was or was not any on Sheri and/or the children. I have wondered if Sheri had a life insurance policy on herself in the service, and whether that was continued when she got out. I did notice that there was something in one of the Search Warrants mentioning some life insurance policy from the service, but who that policy was on is unclear.

p. 18 of 73 in this document

>>KH-7 .... Military Life Insurance Policy (found in 2nd drawer of file cabinet in basement) ...<<

I have wondered if Chris had a service policy, then later added his family to it (if that type of thing is possible.) i.e. it was then life insurance on each of them. On the other hand, I do not know who the above policy was on.

Hmmm IF funeral homes do let people sign a note, knowing that there is a life insurance policy, then perhaps Sheri's family attorneys should be questioning the owner/manager of the funeral home that CC had handle matters in Chester. Perhaps that funeral owner/manager could let them know about a policy mentioned by CC.

Again, welcome to WS. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members