Should Darlie have a new trial?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Should Darlie Routier be given a new trial?

• Total voters
Defendants do have a right to a speedy trial...it just doesn't happen all that often. Just my opinion.

You have to hand it to this prosecution team. They were brilliant from beginning to end. Too bad the defense wasn't half as spectacular.

As I was reading the transcripts I did wonder why her team wasn't as aggressive as the prosecution but by the time I finished I came to the conclusion it was because he really didn't have a defense because of who his client was. It is all plainly clear in those transcripts.

It would NOT be double jeopardy if Darlie were tried for Devon's murder.

Darlie was prosecuted for Damon's murder because he was under 6 years of age. In Texas, at the time (probably still exists) any murder of a child under the age of 6, was AUTOMATIC death penalty. To think of it as a type of insurance policy is ridiculous. If she wasn't convicted of Damon's murder, then there was no way she could be found guilty of Devons.

There is no such thing as an AUTOMATIC death penalty.

Damon's murder was prosecuted first, because his age made it possible for automatic DP. This made the trial cheaper, and shorter. There was no insurance policy.

If Routier was found not guilty, how could they hold another trial for Devon's murder. The DA's office couldn't afford the expense. Same night, same sequence of events, just a different victim. What's different? It would throw the whole jury system, and justice system into turmoil if she were to be found guilty of Devon's murder at a subsequent trial. Not to mention the appeals process that would ensue. How could the public endorse their system of justice, if opposite verdicts came from the same case?

Wrong. The Dallas County District Attorney's office would have no financial motive for avoiding a second trial. I love your expression "just a different victim." This sounds very much the way Darlie thought of her children. Just another. . . How very sad. Unfortunately for her, the State of Texas doesn't think of him as "just another." Here, each life is valuable on its own and each victim is entitled to a sentence should the State decide its in the best interest of justice to seek one.

Moreover, since in keeping with our system of justice, the particular jury for each case must find enough evidence to convict the defendant. The reasons for only trying her for one of the murders was explained to you. If you don't agree with it, that's your right; however, its not uncommon for prosecutors to hold back a case in instances such as this because once in a blue moon, there is a juror who doesn't see the case the way it is. The State reserves the right to do this and while it may not be the way things are handled where you live, it works for us.

Darlie is guilty but the more I have been thinking about it, she should get a new triel. There is doubt for some people and she has so many supporters. a new trial or even just trying her for the other child would silence her supporters and the these 2 boys rest in peace.

Wrong. The Dallas County District Attorney's office would have no financial motive for avoiding a second trial. I love your expression "just a different victim." This sounds very much the way Darlie thought of her children. Just another. . . How very sad. Unfortunately for her, the State of Texas doesn't think of him as "just another." Here, each life is valuable on its own and each victim is entitled to a sentence should the State decide its in the best interest of justice to seek one.

Moreover, since in keeping with our system of justice, the particular jury for each case must find enough evidence to convict the defendant. The reasons for only trying her for one of the murders was explained to you. If you don't agree with it, that's your right; however, its not uncommon for prosecutors to hold back a case in instances such as this because once in a blue moon, there is a juror who doesn't see the case the way it is. The State reserves the right to do this and while it may not be the way things are handled where you live, it works for us.

:clap::clap::clap: Very well stated Jeana. You know what, I feel bad for saying this but I was happy to find out that Baby Grace's "so called parents" were residing in TEXAS. Because IF ANY STATE IN THIS COUNTRY DOES SERVE JUSTICE IT IS TEXAS. IMO

Darlie is guilty but the more I have been thinking about it, she should get a new triel. There is doubt for some people and she has so many supporters. a new trial or even just trying her for the other child would silence her supporters and the these 2 boys rest in peace.

We don't hand out new trials simply because the accused gets a few supporters because their family tells lies about the first trial. How two little boys who were butchered by their mother while they slept can EVER rest is peace is beyond me. I don't think its possible.

:clap::clap::clap: Very well stated Jeana. You know what, I feel bad for saying this but I was happy to find out that Baby Grace's "so called parents" were residing in TEXAS. Because IF ANY STATE IN THIS COUNTRY DOES SERVE JUSTICE IT IS TEXAS. IMO

As did I. I think its a very sad case indeed.

We don't hand out new trials simply because the accused gets a few supporters because their family tells lies about the first trial. How two little boys who were butchered by their mother while they slept can EVER rest is peace is beyond me. I don't think its possible.
I am just looking for something to stop this insanity so that folks will remember who the real victims are here. If it takes another guilty verdict at trail then so be it. I don't mean they shoudl do it just to pander to her fan club.

As did I. I think its a very sad case indeed.

Yes, very heartbreaking, I keep looking at my little 2 year old wondering WTH? HOW, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me sick. What in the world is wrong with "these" people to be so evil....

I am just looking for something to stop this insanity so that folks will remember who the real victims are here. If it takes another guilty verdict at trail then so be it. I don't mean they shoudl do it just to pander to her fan club.

I don't think a dozen trials will ever convince those who refuse to see the evidence, do you? I would agree that she should get a new trial if she would agree that if she was convicted again, she would give up her appeals and get executed immediately, like that day, but I seriously doubt that she or the State would agree to those terms!!! LOL

I don't think a dozen trials will ever convince those who refuse to see the evidence, do you? I would agree that she should get a new trial if she would agree that if she was convicted again, she would give up her appeals and get executed immediately, like that day, but I seriously doubt that she or the State would agree to those terms!!! LOL

Oh great idea!!! Too bad it won't happen.....

Yes, very heartbreaking, I keep looking at my little 2 year old wondering WTH? HOW, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me sick. What in the world is wrong with "these" people to be so evil....
The boys should now be 18 and 16, correct? That makes it even sadder to think of how old they should be and what they should be doing today.

The boys should now be 18 and 16, correct? That makes it even sadder to think of how old they should be and what they should be doing today.
Yes. The exact same age as my stepsons, which makes me very sad when I look at them and think, Devon and Damon should be playing football and going to prom and all those things.

Yes. The exact same age as my stepsons, which makes me very sad when I look at them and think, Devon and Damon should be playing football and going to prom and all those things.

I wonder if she thinks about that too. Willing to bet she doesn't.

There is no such thing as an AUTOMATIC death penalty.

I'm pretty sure I'm right here, but in 1997 if your were convicted of capital murder of a person under the age of 6, then the sentence was automatic DP.

As to one of your other posts, 'just another victim', be pedantic but I value the needless destruction of anyone's life.

I'm pretty sure I'm right here, but in 1997 if your were convicted of capital murder of a person under the age of 6, then the sentence was automatic DP.

As to one of your other posts, 'just another victim', be pedantic but I value the needless destruction of anyone's life.

Please provide a link as to the automatic death penalty, as I couldn't find anything saying that...
also at the risk of looking like a fool in front of everyone would you please state what "pedantic" means....

Please provide a link as to the automatic death penalty, as I couldn't find anything saying that...
also at the risk of looking like a fool in front of everyone would you please state what "pedantic" means....
lol lol mmm got me thinkin too:waitasec:

Links for the automatic dp for victims under 6 years of age are all over the place. Dont know if they still apply, but did back when Routier went to court. The quickest link is to go to the 'justice for darlie' and view the 48 hours video. This was also at the time when they sent 15 year olds to jail, in a major penitentiary and not to juvenile detention. Can you imagine their rehabilitation?

Pedantic means to follow the strict definition of a word. I think I used the term "just another victim". The poster played on my word 'just', playing that I didn't respect Devon. That is ridiculous, malicious, and a weak way of defending an argument.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back