Should Don Imus be fired?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The way I view this whole thing, not that anyone is asking or even interested :D but heck, I'm sitting here at work (slow work week) reading this thread and I've never even heard of Don Imus. I have heard of Howard Stern though :loser: .

I think our "freedom of speech" is getting out of hand. I truly do.. Freedom of speech should not be about insulting others or name calling or saying hateful things. Freedom of speech should be about having your own opinons and being able to express them without getting beat up or thrown in jail or anything like that. I just don't think it's meant to be used to hurt others by degrating them. These so called shock jocks, and even comedians, get out of hand with their remarks. Yes, they can be funny at times but I think there should be some sort of "class" in their delivery.. :twocents:

I'm loving your comment, Paper Doll — and i'm loving your new ladies!

bsja1029.jpg

so, here's thr 10 million dollar question:
what i wanna know is how come people like eminem haven't been chastized or attacked for trying to imitate a stereotypical black ghetto ? seems like he's making a mockery of them, don't you think? (along with about 75% of kids under the age of 20 nowadays.. white, hispanic, even american indian)... why aren't they offended by that? if he said 'nappy headed ho' in a song, do you think anyone would care?

so, here's thr 10 million dollar question:
what i wanna know is how come people like eminem haven't been chastized or attacked for trying to imitate a stereotypical black ghetto ? seems like he's making a mockery of them, don't you think? (along with about 75% of kids under the age of 20 nowadays.. white, hispanic, even american indian)... why aren't they offended by that? if he said 'nappy headed ho' in a song, do you think anyone would care?

I haven't been too involved over this discussion because I think there are alot more racial issues that could be discussed by the media. Anyway...to answer your question..there is a big difference here. Eminem actually grew up in the ghetto...there is no mockery, he lived the life. I have met him...and I love him :=)

I see alot of references being made about the deragatory comments in rap music. Something that most people don't realize is that 99% of the time it's white men in suits choosing this music....the record label execs. It sells! There are very few black record label execs, it would be nice if the few would speak up and say something, but I suspect they are just doing their jobs. This is a whole other topic...but for this reason I choose to support the Indie labels. The major labels are pushing for violent, degrading music and it's ruining a whole generation. It really isn't the rapper's fault in all cases. There is positive, uplifting, hip-hop....it just doesn't get the airplay that the grab your gun and shoot someone music gets. Scary huh??

I haven't been too involved over this discussion because I think there are alot more racial issues that could be discussed by the media. Anyway...to answer your question..there is a big difference here. Eminem actually grew up in the ghetto...there is no mockery, he lived the life. I have met him...and I love him :=)

I see alot of references being made about the deragatory comments in rap music. Something that most people don't realize is that 99% of the time it's white men in suits choosing this music....the record label execs. It sells! There are very few black record label execs, it would be nice if the few would speak up and say something, but I suspect they are just doing their jobs. This is a whole other topic...but for this reason I choose to support the Indie labels. The major labels are pushing for violent, degrading music and it's ruining a whole generation. It really isn't the rapper's fault in all cases. There is positive, uplifting, hip-hop....it just doesn't get the airplay that the grab your gun and shoot someone music gets. Scary huh??

EXACTLY!!! Instead of complaining about how terrible rap and hip hop music is why don't people do a little research and see that there are just as many rap and hip hop songs that aren't offensive. It's not really fair to make a blanket generalization like that. There are also plenty of pop songs and country songs are just as offensive. I'm also really curious as to whether the parents on here who complain about rap and hip hop really monitor what music their kids are buying or even listening to.

Martha-

I agree with most of what you said.

If people that make us squirm and wince are going to get fired, let's go ahead and add to that list: Howard Stern, Rosie O'Donnell, Bill Maher, Donald Trump (fired from what- I don't know- his own company? LOL!) , etc. Let's toss in some mouthy, rude, Democratic Senators for good measure, and while we're at it, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farakhan, and Al Sharpton make me wince, so let's ask them to resign those organizations they head, too.

My point is- where does this end? Imus definitely crossed the line, he has apologized profusely, has lost sponsors, been strung up publicly- where do we stop? He's a SHOCK JOCK! Quote]

I don't quite get you're total meaning here; but that's OK. It seems we both agree that Imus shouldn't be fired. I don't agree with Al Sharpton on this issue; and sure - why hasn't Rosie been fired for some of her "thoughts". I never watch her.

But "rude and Mouthy" people have nothing to do with those who make "shock" statements or racial slurs IMO, like Ann C. has. I believe Republicans and Dems alike have their "bad apples", in the MOUTH department. No use even bringing that in to the equation. I believe my quote said "some Senators" - making slips of the tongue - i.e. (macaca) and so forth.....It really isn't a partisan thing.....

oh yeah, let's blame the evil white man for rap, too!! who the hell is making the junk in he first place?? and getting filthy stinking rich off it also, at the expense of their own souls...???? please.

the fact is... they won't be happy until the guy is lynched.

MSNBC drops Imus simulcast amid furor

NEW YORK - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program, responding to growing outrage about the radio host's racial slur against the Rutgers women's basketball team.

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees," NBC news said in a statement.

More at link

oh yeah, let's blame the evil white man for rap, too!! who the hell is making the junk in he first place?? and getting filthy stinking rich off it also, at the expense of their own souls...???? please.

the fact is... they won't be happy until the guy is lynched.

Who is "they" reb? Do tell.

No one is blaming or calling white men evil, but for every million a rapper is making chances are his record label is making twice as much. And the majority of labels are run by white men.

Ugly rap and hp hop "music" is bought by blacks too,not just whites--and Suge Knight and P Diddy are HUGE Black executives,they are not white---and Eminem's "music",as worthless as it is(sorry Cheeta),is avoided by blacks,even though Eminem came from a tough part of town,blacks still see him as a Vanilla Ice clone--and Eminem has been known to spout anti-gay epithets constantly--so this whole ugly music culture today can be blamed on both whites and blacks---anyway, having said that,I still think its time for IMUS to go--he's too old,he's too cranky,and he's boring--The advertisers are pulling out,and IMUS will be history soon

they= the angry blacks. you had to ask........??

Ugly rap and hp hop "music" is bought by blacks too,not just whites--and Suge Knight and P Diddy are HUGE Black executives,they are not white---and Eminem's "music",as worthless as it is(sorry Cheeta),is avoided by blacks,even though Eminem came from a tough part of town,blacks still see him as a Vanilla Ice clone--and Eminem has been known to spout anti-gay epithets constantly--so this whole ugly music culture today can be blamed on both whites and blacks---anyway, having said that,I still think its time for IMUS to go--he's too old,he's too cranky,and he's boring--The advertisers are pulling out,and IMUS will be history soon

I know this isn't a music thread, but this common misconception just kills me.
P.Diddy-Bad Boy is under the Atlantic label.........owned by Warner
Suge Knight- Death Row was under Interscope....owned by Universal

If you look at the lists of artist under the Warner and Universal Music Groups you would see who is really putting the music out there :=)

Eminem spouted those lyrics in 2000...yes he said some things he shouldn't have but I do think he learned a lesson. I don't like Suge Knight......he ruined and possibly murdered one of the greatest poets ever.

I don't want to fan the flames here but some in this thread were speaking of slavery and how cruel the whites were to the the blacks, and I just want to ask one thing:

Why is it that we accuse (and rightfully so) the white man for enslaving blacks, but we never talk about the white man also freeing the slaves? There were many white people who died fighting to free the black race!!!! People tend to forget that aspect.

jonathan Capeheart was just on MSNBC--He's a young black journalist for the Washington Post--He just said he looked up rap "music" lyrics on the internet and after just 30 minutes he was so disgusted he had to stop--what does that tell ya

THIS IS REALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Read Snoop Dogg's (rapper) comments about Don Imus's Comment:
Snoop frequently refers to women as "b**ches" and "hos" in his music, but he insists Imus' use of the term was unacceptable and the 66-year-old DJ should be taken off the air. The Doggystyle star says, "It's a completely different scenario. (Rappers) are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We're talking about hos that's in the 'hood that ain't doing s**t, that's trying to get a n**ga for his money. These are two separate things. First of all, we ain't no old-*advertiser censored* white men that sit up on MSNBC going hard on black girls. We are rappers that have these songs coming from our minds and our souls that are relevant to what we feel. I will not let them muthaf**kas say we are in the same league as him.​

Once again, it's ok for a black person to say stuff like this but not white folks!​

jonathan Capeheart was just on MSNBC--He's a young black journalist for the Washington Post--He just said he looked up rap "music" lyrics on the internet and after just 30 minutes he was so disgusted he had to stop--what does that tell ya

It tells me that a young, black journalist was disgusted after looking up rap music lyrics after 30 minutes.

What's it supposed to tell me?

So what if a black "shock jock" said "a bunch of bleached blonde hos?"

Would white people be outraged?

Why is it OK when black people make racist remarks about whites, but not OK when whites make them about blacks?

FWIW, I hate what he said. I don't like Imus, and choose not to listen to him. Ditto for Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, G.Gordon Liddy, Keith Olbermann, and a host of others.

I don't watch/listen to any of the above either. That is my right. I used to watch Imus but got sick of his remarks about people. I didn't understand that it was his role and to me it was just disgusting so I stopped watching him.

Until I got on this thread I didn't understand what hos meant! I understood what nappy head meant but not nappy headed hos. Now I get it...nappy headed ho's. What a thing to say. Even Imus should have known better than to say something like that. Why didn't he just say "nappy headed *advertiser censored*?"
That is what ho's means isn't it? Shame on him. That was way over the line in my opinion. He was talking about young girls who are doing something wonderful. What is wrong with him :banghead:

I don't watch/listen to any of the above either. That is my right. I used to watch Imus but got sick of his remarks about people. I didn't understand that it was his role and to me it was just disgusting so I stopped watching him.

Until I got on this thread I didn't understand what hos meant! I understood what nappy head meant but not nappy headed hos. Now I get it...nappy headed ho's. What a thing to say. Even Imus should have known better than to say something like that. Why didn't he just say "nappy headed *advertiser censored*?"
That is what ho's means isn't it? Shame on him. That was way over the line in my opinion. He was talking about young girls who are doing something wonderful. What is wrong with him :banghead:

No one should be called a "ho" (and yes that means wh*re) regardless if they are "doing something wonderful" or not.
But according to snoop dogg, it's okay to call some girls that. Oh, but maybe if you're only black! Then it unacceptable at ANY time.

You know, I am sorry to beat a dead horse but Snoop Dogg's comment "We are not in the same league as him" about Don Imus irks me to no end, because I see that once again, Snoop will do NO time for his drug charges. (He's been caught with drugs more than once)
Any ordinary person would probably get jail on the FIRST drug charge, much less second, or third.
OH WAIT!!!! I forgot we're not in the same league as him, so therefore he can get busted with drugs as many times as he pleases, and can also call a woman a "ho" and a b*tch."

You know, I am sorry to beat a dead horse but Snoop Doog's comment "We are not in the same league as him" about Don Imus irks me to no end, because I see that once again, Snoop will do NO time for his drug charges. (He's been caught with drugs more than once)
Any ordinary person would probably get jail on the FIRST drug charge, much less second, or third.
OH WAIT!!!! I forgot we're not in the same league as him, so therefore he can get busted with drugs as many times as he pleases, and can also call a woman a "ho" and a b*tch."

So what's his gripe? He can do as he d@mn well pleases apparently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara
Back