Shout out to foreign series from an american

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Kk1

Reaction score
If there are people who can recommend crime and mystery series from abroad (I'm an American,so THAT abroad) beyond the obvious ones on Netflix,Hulu,Prime,etc.,can you please post them? I like really dark themes and stuff like Department Q. and The Missing, but reeeally like Scandinavian crime. Also liked Oldenheim 12. I feel like I'm missing something good that isn't found in these major formats.....hope some of the Europeans and beyond can help. Thanks/ Tak!

Have you already watched Jordskott? Or Trapped (series from Island)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kk1
Ha! Was looking at Jordskott yesterday. It looks awesome,but I wasn't sure about the acting and it being on Shudder. Is it good? It looked closer to horror than most,which is a nice bonus.
Trapped...sigh. I've tried 2 times and haven't gotten into it. And I really want to, because everyone says it's so good. Esp. since Netflix is making Entrapped.
Just found Midnight Sun on Hulu. Great beginning. Haven't gotten to episode 2 yet. It's Peter Stormare,so how could it bad?

Hinterland, The Dark:

Straight Out of Wales, With Murders (Published 2014)

This was filmed twice and broadcast twice -- each actor is bilingual Welsh/English. The first TV show in Welsh!

Dark show, most cases tie into abuse at a children's home.

Gorgeous scenery, and the 'children's home' is now a hotel, book a room if you manage to make the trip!

jmho ymmv lrr

If there are people who can recommend crime and mystery series from abroad (I'm an American,so THAT abroad) beyond the obvious ones on Netflix,Hulu,Prime,etc.,can you please post them? I like really dark themes and stuff like Department Q. and The Missing, but reeeally like Scandinavian crime. Also liked Oldenheim 12. I feel like I'm missing something good that isn't found in these major formats.....hope some of the Europeans and beyond can help. Thanks/ Tak!

Department Q.... love! Isn't there a new one for 2021? I'm a huge nordic noir fan, too!

'Glad you started this thread. I'm here in the states so I can't recommend anything but I had to comment ;) I'm looking forward to seeing additional suggestions!

Department Q.... love! Isn't there a new one for 2021? I'm a huge nordic noir fan, too!

'Glad you started this thread. I'm here in the states so I can't recommend anything but I had to comment ;) I'm looking forward to seeing additional suggestions!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it too...I was looking at Department Q. results pages earlier today to try to find anything upcoming, but didn't see it. There are enough novels,so I hope, ESPECIALLY if it's as soon as 2021. Carl is the best. My favorite is The Absent One.

Hinterland, The Dark:

This was filmed twice and broadcast twice -- each actor is bilingual Welsh/English. The first TV show in Welsh!

Gorgeous scenery, and the 'children's home' is now a hotel, book a room if you manage to make the trip!

jmho ymmv lrr
Do you mean the German series The Dark? I saw the first season,and really liked it. Unfortunately I'm a dumb american who had trouble following which character was which with the time shifts.... stupid,I know. But unless it develops into the children home theme later in the series, it must be different.
Hinterland I started.....there was nothing wrong with it, good acting,etc.,... sometimes I realize it isn't hitting me right then,but make a note to come back to it.
Lemme know on The Dark!

There's a new Netflix series coming up called The Chestnut Man. No exact release date, but by its description, it's everything I love about Nordic Noir.

Do you mean the German series The Dark? I saw the first season,and really liked it. Unfortunately I'm a dumb american who had trouble following which character was which with the time shifts.... stupid,I know. But unless it develops into the children home theme later in the series, it must be different.
Hinterland I started.....there was nothing wrong with it, good acting,etc.,... sometimes I realize it isn't hitting me right then,but make a note to come back to it.
Lemme know on The Dark!
I looked up hinterland,so I know what u mean about the children's home... totally remember that now.

On episode 4 of Jordskott...it was slow for the first 2.... I was going to give up,but I'm glad I didn't. Went into a really cool direction. I was thinking it might be some old horror cliches, but nope. A few sort of fantasy elements based on Norse lore (real or imagined), but it's definitely a regular mystery and drama.
Only on 4, but I'm picky and like it enough to binge a few at a time.
I thought The Investigation was boring.
I thought The Head got a bit dull and I just stopped caring about the characters.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it too...I was looking at Department Q. results pages earlier today to try to find anything upcoming, but didn't see it. There are enough novels,so I hope, ESPECIALLY if it's as soon as 2021. Carl is the best. My favorite is The Absent One.
Ok.....what is the deal with making new Department Q movies WITHOUT Nikolaj Lie Kass and Fares Fares???? That's why I love them! Honestly, I'm pretty amazed anyone would think they'd be successful with new actors.
The trailer looks pretty meh. Which really sucks because they are planning at least 3 more. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Hinterland, The Dark:

jmho ymmv lrr

from the article:

'their reasoning went, proved that there was an international appetite for murder mysteries set in an unfamiliar gothic landscape with a brooding, loner crime solver.'

they sure got that right! thank you for posting - I will check this out
Wales is possibly my most favorite place on earth and this theme sounds intriguing

from the article:

'their reasoning went, proved that there was an international appetite for murder mysteries set in an unfamiliar gothic landscape with a brooding, loner crime solver.'

Baptiste season 1 is a little slow. I'm going back to try Hinterland again. I think it's the old lady,satan,and a loaf of bread that sold me. Sounds romantic

they sure got that right! thank you for posting - I will check this out
Wales is possibly my most favorite place on earth and this theme sounds intriguing

Got updates if anyone is reading this....
The Vanishing (German) is really really good.

Baptiste is good but not as wonderful as The Missing was.
Pagan Pass (German) was also really good.
Monster (Norwegian) is good so far.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back