SIDEBAR #21- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I got tired of using my homemade soap and borax for washing clothes, b/c soap leave soap scum you have to use a "magic eraser" to get the yucky gray off of the washer agitator. Thankfully and brand of magic eraser works, even the cheapo packs at Dollar Tree.

I think Zuri was right about something. I think I am allergic to even unscented detergent, and I know about shampoo so I ordered some unscented shampoo from one of the soap making supply stores.

At any rate, back to using unscented store bought laundry detergent and my skin is itching all over and a tiny allergic bump here and there, my slippers are itching my feet. Sigh.

Maybe I should just use borax or just baking soda? Will my clothes be clean? Have to admit the powder mix I was making lasts a lot longer, but I am mad that I keep on finding new allergies, and chemicals will be worse 'cause they are in everything, and disposable gloves are only good for cleaning house, not clothes and body, HA!

Anyone with little ones around or guest coming:

Mom made this punch for us back in the early '70's, only she used a can of pineapples in place of fresh lime, lemon slices. And mom used a 2 liter of ginger ale along with a 2 liter of 7up. This is actually listed as Paula Deen recipe:

Ingredients
2 quarts lime sherbet
2 liters ginger ale
1 (46-ounce) can pineapple juice
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Maraschino cherries
Directions
In a punch bowl, add 2 quarts of lime sherbet. Then add ginger ale and pineapple juice. Decorate with lemon and lime slices and some maraschino cherries

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lime-sherbet-punch-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Okay. I got tired of using my homemade soap and borax for washing clothes, b/c soap leave soap scum you have to use a "magic eraser" to get the yucky gray off of the washer agitator. Thankfully and brand of magic eraser works, even the cheapo packs at Dollar Tree.

I think Zuri was right about something. I think I am allergic to even unscented detergent, and I know about shampoo so I ordered some unscented shampoo from one of the soap making supply stores.

At any rate, back to using unscented store bought laundry detergent and my skin is itching all over and a tiny allergic bump here and there, my slippers are itching my feet. Sigh.

Maybe I should just use borax or just baking soda? Will my clothes be clean? Have to admit the powder mix I was making lasts a lot longer, but I am mad that I keep on finding new allergies, and chemicals will be worse 'cause they are in everything, and disposable gloves are only good for cleaning house, not clothes and body, HA!

I have the same problems, skin sensitivity to laundry detergent scents (and unscented isn't much better), Purex seems to be the best brand for lack of itchiness for myself (Gain is the worst), I use about half the amount (and add borax), clothes get clean, don't smell like itchiness and don't irritate my skin. Sometimes I'll use vinegar in place of bleach to get any detergent residue out.

I really love this idea. Stupid question (I'm not cooking-inclined, to say the least)...would I bake it at 350 degrees?

Thanks for all of the great stuffing ideas everyone! I wonder what the convicted heifer will be "enjoying" for Thanksgiving dinner in jail....I tried googling but couldn't find anything. lol

My birthday is Dec. 20th and my parents never put up the tree before my birthday because they did not want my birthday overshadowed by Christmas. They were so sweet.

Just realized I quoted the wrong post.

My birthday is Dec. 20th and my parents never put up the tree before my birthday because they did not want my birthday overshadowed by Christmas. They were so sweet.

Just realized I quoted the wrong post.

What thoughtful and loving parents!

I always felt sorry for people with birthdays around Christmas as the birthday gets overshadowed. My sister's was Jan. 3, and while my mom made every holiday a big deal (and my DD was telling me how much she appreciated it and incorporates it with her family now), I think we all knew her birthday party seemed lame in comparison to the largess of Christmas. She still enjoyed them anyway.

Happy early Birthday! :loveyou:

I have the same problems, skin sensitivity to laundry detergent scents (and unscented isn't much better), Purex seems to be the best brand for lack of itchiness for myself (Gain is the worst), I use about half the amount (and add borax), clothes get clean, don't smell like itchiness and don't irritate my skin. Sometimes I'll use vinegar in place of bleach to get any detergent residue out.

Thank you. I will try Purex, I went back to Arm and Hammer Free, but, either I am now allergic to it, or the formula changed.

Didn't know Gain made a "free" version, but I do think they use the most fragrance of all. Being allergic to fragrances since I can remember, I can tell when anyone in my apartment building (or even neighboring buildings!) use it. A very nice aroma, but incredibly strong. (My downstairs neighbors use it, and all aromas come up here. Even the bad bathroom ones, gross. I just keep an air filter running and hope for the best.)

ETA: I am about to throw my slippers away, itching too bad. Think instead, I'll run them in a white vinegar wash and save some bucks on slippers. :) :tyou:

P.S.S. Guess you already learned Dove unscented soap and deodorant is not unscented. Don't buy them. You will have to remove them from your living space. I started making soap as Ivory is too drying now, and Dove Unscented is scented. Can't use baking soda for deodorant, it gets to over 100 degrees here, and I am in the menopausal stinky sweaty years. Sure Unscented is working for now with no allergic reactions.

Good morning all! :wave:

21Merc - I can't even go the aisle of detergents - the smell just overwhelms me!! LOL!

Zuri - have you heard from Princess?? Did you send it FAST mail?? I haven't heard anything from Tricia.... :waiting:

I'll be putting up our tree the first weekend in December!! My Huz doesn't want me to waste money on a tree - but we HAVE to have a tree!! God dang it!! And the outside lights will go up too!!! LOVE Christmas!! Our back-yard neighbor already had her lights up last week!?!?!

edited to add: I noticed I have 100 more posts to go until I reach 4,000!!

Thank you. I will try Purex, I went back to Arm and Hammer Free, but, either I am now allergic to it, or the formula changed.

Didn't know Gain made a "free" version, but I do think they use the most fragrance of all. Being allergic to fragrances since I can remember, I can tell when anyone in my apartment building (or even neighboring buildings!) use it. A very nice aroma, but incredibly strong. (My downstairs neighbors use it, and all aromas come up here. Even the bad bathroom ones, gross. I just keep an air filter running and hope for the best.)

ETA: I am about to throw my slippers away, itching too bad. Think instead, I'll run them in a white vinegar wash and save some bucks on slippers. :) :tyou:

P.S.S. Guess you already learned Dove unscented soap and deodorant is not unscented. Don't buy them. You will have to remove them from your living space. I started making soap as Ivory is too drying now, and Dove Unscented is scented. Can't use baking soda for deodorant, it gets to over 100 degrees here, and I am in the menopausal stinky sweaty years. Sure Unscented is working for now with no allergic reactions.

LOL Maybe it's menopause that makes this worse, I thought it was changing of the formulas too as Arm and Hammer was always fine until the last couple years, then it started itching too.

For some reason, the Suave body wash does not itch my skin like bar soaps, doesn't feel like it leaves any residue behind at all (even though it has a slight scent, but then it's not marketed as scent free). I don't think Gain makes a Free, hub brought it home and what a mistake it was to use it. lol Took forever to get the smell out of the clothes and house.

My mom always said to use white vinegar to get rid of soap residue and it seems to work well, not sure if it'd work in the washer with the homemade soap mix to get rid of the scum but it might be worth a try if other detergent products just irritate too much. It sure ought to help out with the slippers. :)

No scent Arrid seems to work well for deodorant, doesn't itch me like the Suave did.

LOL Maybe it's menopause that makes this worse, I thought it was changing of the formulas too as Arm and Hammer was always fine until the last couple years, then it started itching too.

For some reason, the Suave body wash does not itch my skin like bar soaps, doesn't feel like it leaves any residue behind at all (even though it has a slight scent, but then it's not marketed as scent free). I don't think Gain makes a Free, hub brought it home and what a mistake it was to use it. lol Took forever to get the smell out of the clothes and house.

My mom always said to use white vinegar to get rid of soap residue and it seems to work well, not sure if it'd work in the washer with the homemade soap mix to get rid of the scum but it might be worth a try if other detergent products just irritate too much. It sure ought to help out with the slippers. :)

No scent Arrid seems to work well for deodorant, doesn't itch me like the Suave did.

--------------

Have any tried Basis soap? I used it for my son now we use it for Grt.grandson. He is sooo allergic. Amy found he is allergic to Red dye 40!! White vinegar is good for your washer too.. My moms B.D. on Jan.1..Years ago Gain made my hands swell. :scared:

About the soap isle, thats how I am with perfume. There are a couple I can tolerate but not many. I had to leave church one time it was so bad. The musk is sooo bad I can barely breathe. When I worked in the store there were times I had to walk away from the counter. Thank God for two clerks. Some people tend to take a bath in it.:floorlaugh: a few hundred and I will hit 5,000. just gibberish anyway (my posts).

Arm & Hammer laundry detergent is good for sensitive skin, but I don't know about people with allergies. I cannot use Tide...it makes me break out in rashes.

Maybe I should just use borax or just baking soda? Will my clothes be clean? Have to admit the powder mix I was making lasts a lot longer, but I am mad that I keep on finding new allergies, and chemicals will be worse 'cause they are in everything, and disposable gloves are only good for cleaning house, not clothes and body, HA![/quot

Do you use a fabric softener? I stopped using one about twenty years ago. It makes that kind of scum too, and it builds up in your drain lines. Also many laundry detergents use ground up peanut shells as filler.

OMG, I am overwhelmed with the allergy responses.

I have been dealing with this since age 19, and well, add 30. It has gotten worse.

I do not use softener, but do use "free" dyer sheets for winter clothing as they tend to attract static cling, and vinegar rinse does not help with static cling, and crappy new bugger (clothes buggers) making Walmart sweat suits, that you can now only wash twice before having to throw them out.

Peanut shells? Would like to know more. Unless borax contains that, my homemade powder did not.

Arm & Hammer laundry detergent is good for sensitive skin, but I don't know about people with allergies. I cannot use Tide...it makes me break out in rashes.

Tide is a huge offender to the allergic. Even the Tide Free.

I think Tide and Gain (if Gain has a "free") still use, look at the label, "fragrance". While most may not smell it, it is there and meant to cover the ingredient aroma, but the chemical compound is impossible for the allergic. Much like any Dove product that is listed as Unscented. Once opened it it burns so very badly to the eyes, skin, and nose, throughout an entire living space, it must be removed immediately!

What about ivory?? Or those baby detergents? ??

Anyone with little ones around or guest coming:

Mom made this punch for us back in the early '70's, only she used a can of pineapples in place of fresh lime, lemon slices. And mom used a 2 liter of ginger ale along with a 2 liter of 7up. This is actually listed as Paula Deen recipe:

Ingredients
2 quarts lime sherbet
2 liters ginger ale
1 (46-ounce) can pineapple juice
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Maraschino cherries
Directions
In a punch bowl, add 2 quarts of lime sherbet. Then add ginger ale and pineapple juice. Decorate with lemon and lime slices and some maraschino cherries

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/lime-sherbet-punch-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

You can also make a nice pie with ice cream or sherbert. Softened a half gallon of ice cream or cool whip mix with ice cream or sherbert, pour into a graham cracker shell and refreeze. You can also make one using juice concentrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89