SIDEBAR #49 - Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. We just put a picture of my new "puppy" on here. She is 3 years old, a Peke mainly. Molly is a shelter dog. She was spayed last Monday so she is still sore. Sleeps a lot right now but is very friendly. I'm still having tears for my precious Buffy.. Oh yes, she is 13 lbs..

Lucky you and lucky Molly. You will always love and remember your precious Buffy. Bless you, Nore.

Ok, kids, anyone with a twitter account, need your help!

A fantastic group of WS's are really tossing rocks and digging deep to ID a John Doe found in Nevada in 1992. Miss Muffet has started a Twitter for John Doe and needs:

1. Followers
2. ALL of her tweets "favorited" and re-tweeted.

If you have just a few minutes a day, PLEASE favorite and re-tweet! https://twitter.com/johnDoeNV1992

That thread has made some incredible progress and LE is on it following leads. Thanks!

WS's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...V-35-50-Off-of-Sand-Canyon-Road-Mar-92/page70

I started following this thread a few days ago and I am amazed with all this. Never much looked into the Missing, but I will from now on. I am not too good at sleuthing, but I can show support or give an idea or two...

Whatever was in that expensive shot I got on Friday is some good stuff...I feel wonderful! Like I have no allergies at all, no aches or pains. I can take on the world :happydance:

Whatever was in that expensive shot I got on Friday is some good stuff...I feel wonderful! Like I have no allergies at all, no aches or pains. I can take on the world :happydance:

Hot diggity! That is good news...hate to know that my friends are hurting. So glad you're not!
smiley coffee swim.gif

Good Morning all. Hard to believe that one week ago we were anxiously awaiting the sentencing of 281129.

ok Bernina, You lost me with putting a control goose egg in with the swan eggs. Guess I'm going to have to google this one.:gaah:

Lol!
I'll break it down..........
The goose egg I'm going to assume is fertile, because she's the only female in the whole gang, and she's had many goslings in past years. Goose eggs have thinner shells than swan eggs.
When you "candle" an egg, you're putting a light source against the egg in a dark room and the inside of the egg becomes visible. With standard type poultry and waterfowl, you can identify the development of the embryo around 5-7 days. You'll see a network of blood vessels beginning to form and a small dark mass, which is the "baby". Swan eggs are just too thick to really identify anything, unless you go high tech.

Grabbed this off "Backyard Chickens". This is a Chinese Silkie egg, but it show what you're looking for.

104737_img_0263.jpg

This shows a developing gosling on the left and an infertile egg (clear, blank, or dud) on the right:

fertileeggs.jpg

So by putting in a goose egg, which takes about 30 days to develop, I can candle that about every 5 days and get a good idea of how far along the swans are developing. The swans will take 4 days longer than the goose before they start to hatch or "pip", that's when they make their first attempt at breaking a small hole in their shell.
When the goose egg starts to pip. I know I need to stop the automatic turner in the incubator and transfer the eggs to a hatching rack that goes on the bottom of the incubator.
The "turner" in the 'bator" rocks the shelves from one side to the other, kind of like a BBQ spit that only turns your meat 180 degrees every 2 hours. This prevents the embryo from "sticking", as it develops, to the inside of the shell. The setting bird turns their eggs as they nest at about the same rate. A few days before the babies hatch, the mother (or father depending on what kind of bird) will stop turning them. What is left of the yolk is absorbed into the baby's belly through the umbilical cord. This will actually be used as a nutritional source for the baby the first 48 hours after it hatches. (that's why hatcheries can ship day old babies and not worry about putting water or food in the shipping box)
By candling, I can also tell if the humidity and temperature are accurate by observing the "air cell". That's found at the large end of the egg (not the "pointy" end), pictures on the bottom of the lower pics show the air cell, the white area. The air cell slowly gets bigger as the baby develops. If the air cell get too big, too fast, I need to put my temperature down and increase the humidity. The reverse if the air cell doesn't increase.

The goose egg is basically a way to gauge how the swans are developing, how close to hatch they become, and how well the incubator is being regulated. That's why it is my "control". I could use a lot of scientific terms but this is basically what I'm doing. Some people make it more complicated than it needs to be. After messing with the incubation process for a few years, I got to the point of just "set it and forget it". I'll put a quart of water into the water pan on the top shelf of the 'bator every day to top it off, and after a week, I'll start "misting" the eggs with water and pulling the trays out for 20 minutes to slightly cool, then pop them back in. Cooling and misting applies only to water fowl. It duplicates the mother leaving the nest, eating, getting in the water to stretch, and returning with moisture on her belly feathers.

That's the "short version"!

Good Morning all. Hard to believe that one week ago we were anxiously awaiting the sentencing of 281129.

Isn't it "special" she has such an easy number to remember so her groupies don't get too confused....:scared:

Lol!
The goose egg I'm going to assume is fertile, because she's the only female in the whole gang, and she's had many goslings in past years. Goose eggs have thinner shells than swan eggs.
When you "candle" an egg, you're putting a light source against the egg in a dark room and the inside of the egg becomes visible. With standard type poultry and waterfowl, you can identify the development of the embryo around 5-7 days. You'll see a network of blood vessels beginning to form and a small dark mass, which is the "baby". Swan eggs are just too thick to really identify anything, unless you go high tech.

Grabbed this off "Backyard Chickens". This is a Chinese Silkie egg, but it show what you're looking for.

104737_img_0263.jpg

This shows a developing gosling on the left and an infertile egg (clear, blank, or dud) on the right:

fertileeggs.jpg

So by putting in a goose egg, which takes about 30 days to develop, I can candle that about every 5 days and get a good idea of how far along the swans are developing. The swans will take 4 days longer than the goose before they start to hatch or "pip", that's when they make their first attempt at breaking a small hole in their shell.
When the goose egg starts to pip. I know I need to stop the automatic turner in the incubator and transfer the eggs to a hatching rack that goes on the bottom of the incubator.
The "turner" in the 'bator" rocks the shelves from one side to the other, kind of like a BBQ spit that only turns your meat 180 degrees every 2 hours. This prevents the embryo from "sticking", as it develops, to the inside of the shell. The setting bird turns their eggs as they nest at about the same rate. A few days before the babies hatch, the mother (or father depending on what kind of bird) will stop turning them. What is left of the yolk is absorbed into the baby's belly through the umbilical cord. This will actually be used as a nutritional source for the baby the first 48 hours after it hatches. (that's why hatcheries can ship day old babies and not worry about putting water or food in the shipping box)
By candling, I can also tell if the humidity and temperature are accurate by observing the "air cell". That's found at the large end of the egg (not the "pointy" end), pictures on the bottom of the lower pics show the air cell, the white area. The air cell slowly gets bigger as the baby develops. If the air cell get too big, too fast, I need to put my temperature down and increase the humidity. The reverse if the air cell doesn't increase.

The goose egg is basically a way to gauge how the swans are developing, how close to hatch they become, and how well the incubator is being regulated. That's why it is my "control". I could use a lot of scientific terms but this is basically what I'm doing. Some people make it more complicated than it needs to be. After messing with the incubation process for a few years, I got to the point of just "set it and forget it". I'll put a quart of water into the water pan on the top shelf of the 'bator every day to top it off, and after a week, I'll start "misting" the eggs with water and pulling the trays out for 20 minutes to slightly cool, then pop them back in. Cooling and misting applies only to water fowl. It duplicates the mother leaving the nest, eating, getting in the water to stretch, and returning with moisture on her belly feathers.

WOW. Its much more complicated than I thought to hatch birds on your own.

I learned about the incubators like you describe. I once saw one of the larger type incubators in action. A lady we visited had one and I saw the trays you mention and I saw how the incubator moves the eggs around periodically. Its really neat to be able to do that. I had no idea it was this complicated and it sounds like you take good care to try to do it correctly.

Good luck with the swan eggs.

Wow, Bernina...I'll never look at my sunny side ups in quite the same way again! :hen: smiley HA.gif :)

I'll take mine over easy!! :lol:

Good morning all! :wave:

Not much happenin' here - but a gorgeous day!! About 80 I believe today, and then Wednesday and Thursday - RAIN!! We sure need here...

Good luck on your swan eggs, Bernina!! Oh, it was a Gobbler swan that bit me! The one with the yellow beak. All I was doing was trying to feed them! My mom and I had extra bread left over from our fondue lunch!

Okay - off to check out the Nevada - Joe Doe thread!

:seeya:

Hi Coffeejunkie , that's how I feel with prednisone! wish I could take it all the time but I cant.
Dr. gives me an allergy shot that makes me feel good too. I just want to be able to get my work done.
I hope it lasts a while for you. Ahhhhhhhh..

Lol!

104737_img_0263.jpg

fertileeggs.jpg

Oh Boy! How cool is this! I had no idea incubation could be interesting. Keep us posted on the progress. And......where ever do you get the time and energy to do all that you do?:thinking:

Oh Boy! How cool is this! I had no idea incubation could be interesting. Keep us posted on the progress. And......where ever do you get the time and energy to do all that you do?:thinking:
It is so cool! I am learning more amazing things on this thread...just hoping there won't be a pop quiz! :)

Hi Coffeejunkie , that's how I feel with prednisone! wish I could take it all the time but I cant.
Dr. gives me an allergy shot that makes me feel good too. I just want to be able to get my work done.
I hope it lasts a while for you. Ahhhhhhhh..

That is one of the hubs pre-meds when he goes for treatments every couple of weeks. I drive home, he's pretty sleepy.

It is so cool! I am learning more amazing things on this thread...just hoping there won't be a pop quiz! :)

Gotta watch out for YESorNo when she gets her BW back.... she is the queen of pop quizzes!

Gotta watch out for YESorNo when she gets her BW back.... she is the queen of pop quizzes!

I just sent her a message telling her I missed her...didn't know what the problem was, if she was not feeling well or what. Good know just BW. :)

OT: Help spread the word and get John Doe's identity found! Posted by Miss Muffet. If we can favorite and re tweet her tweets once a day, someone just might know who he is!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...V-35-50-Off-of-Sand-Canyon-Road-Mar-92/page70

I'm needing Websleuther love for my tweets.

https://twitter.com/johnDoeNV1992

The main tweets that don't start with @ or # need favorite-ed to rise to the top of the # pages. They also need to be retweeted with comments and/or retweeted to someone else with @. Apparently your own comments added to retweets makes retweets more powerful. The person you @ comment in your retweet doesn't have to be a follower of yours.

It only takes a minute or two per day. Just go directly to John Doe's page instead of trying to find tweets on your own page. You'll be working with the ones in "tweets" not the ones in "tweets and replies." Oh, follow me too because the more followers I have, the more people I'm allowed to follow myself.

If you tweet anything about our guy too, @ me with it and I'll retweet it too! It might get lost because I'm needing to follow tons of people/organizations. Just shoot me a message on twitter and I'll hunt it down to retweet.

To make it easier for you, I'm trying to keep the profile page free of my retweets so it's easy for you to find mine quickly. At the same time, I do need to retweet and interact with other sites to give them back love and garner attention. It's also important that every single one of my tweets doesn't have a link and my # are relevant to the # categories. That's why I need you guys to help move the ones with links and images along. The ones without links still need to be favorite-ed and occasional retweeted to your own followers to give them more preference to rise at the top of the # pages. Don't bother with my direct tweets to other people and organizations (they start with @). I over 50 of those. They're not as powerful but they're important.

On an up note, there is progress since I started yesterday. A couple of big twitter accounts with over 70k followers retweeted. I've attracted some followers from the media and a few inquiries.

Thank you so much for helping. You're all fantastic!

........I didn't know I had a lot of energy, LOL! Time? That's just one of those man made kinda things, I'm on the sun and moon time schedule! The only thing I need to look at a clock for is those silly Dr.s appointments, grrrr.

So what's up with YorN?:thinking:

Y/N ran low on Bandwidth, so she has to take a break from being here. :tantrum:

Video from 281129's investigator a few weeks before she went off to PV:

[video=youtube;7K6FLDaVa_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K6FLDaVa_0[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics