SIDEBAR #57 - Travis Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1941 - The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

[video=youtu;TX4sTBJ0tvA]http://youtu.be/TX4sTBJ0tvA[/video]

1967 - Otis Rescue records "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"

[video=youtu;rTVjnBo96Ug]http://youtu.be/rTVjnBo96Ug[/video]

krkrjx

I will look it up on my word pad (where I save the info- just in case) and get back to you shortly.

ETA: This is the article I used to kill the update: (I used method 3 to uninstalled windows 10 and "hide" it by using
method 3, #8)

http://techwithlove.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-update-icon/

I never wanted Windows 10 and didn't agree to it. :(

I think your problem is different than mine was as Windows update was "failing" to update on my
laptop because it was trying to install and was using all my bandwidth up (2X a day :( )
But maybe if you "hide" the update, it won't install again.

GOOD LUCK

Here's hoping it will fix your problem :)

So far, so good! I did the uninstall again, changed the settings so that nothing can be installed without my say so and then rebooted.

It did download the KB3*** update again before logging off to reboot. That's the nagware thing. However, it did NOT install it when it reopened Windows. And furthermore, it did not ask me if I wanted it installed. It just sits there in the list of updates, with today's date on it now, but no sight of it in the list of installed updates. I have my fingers and toes crossed that this is how the OS itself will show tomorrow--downloaded but not installed.

Thanks to you, YorN, and to all who helped. We will need to work out the brownie situation asap.

1967 - Otis Rescue records "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"

[video=youtu;rTVjnBo96Ug]http://youtu.be/rTVjnBo96Ug[/video]

What a great song that was. Thanks for sharing it and thanks to everyone else who occasionally brings up one of the old classics. Its great to remember these songs.

Oh, YoN, "Company is coming" LMAO!!!!!!

I think I'll pass it to my english teaching collegue!

To all of you wonderful SB friends: I am sad.
I wonder wether I should stop coming here. I'm contributing so little but reading regularly. I'm afraid you might consider me a parasite and I would understand this consideration.
When my work is done - well, I'm teaching and even after doing this since 30 years I still have a hard time to to decide WHEN work is done - I need to move, doing sports, hiking, biking, etc. to get my batteries reloaded. I also need reading my books and I love to check wether YOU ALL are doing fine. The later takes time for language reasons - and I can't tell you how often I would like to just drop a reaction, an idea, a question, a pic ... But finally I don't do it often as it bothers me not being able to express myself as spontaneously, rapidly and clearly as I could in my language...
Oh well, may be I'm just badly organized and I don't succeed in fixing my priorities and act accordingly.

Please know that YOU ALL are part of my first priorities and your well being and your concerns are very important to me even if my behaving doesn't show this.
:loveyou:

Susza, I don't think any of us are keeping score in posting, and shame on us if we do. You have been as a friend, and I never expected you to post a certain number or subjects, and you have contributed wisdom, and a keen sense of humor. I mean how could you stand us if you didn't? Some of us are just more verbal and opinionated - if I have something that requires thought on each issue, I write it out and email it to myself, then all I have to do is cut and paste. That way if I'm posting to one or several topics I can think about what and how I want to say something.

And you do know that if you ask for advice, even though we all may say it differently, it's almost the same advice. Please don't go, some of us are just more verbal and opinionated and vocal than others, don't let that stop you from sharing idea's, thoughts, opinions, and questions.

Just where did you expect us to stay when we stop to get you? And who'll show us your beautiful country? And the gourmet meals, and wine promised? Oh and Zuri will have the pheasant.

Good Morning and SMILE!

You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens :grouphug: :loveyou:

Attachments

• In The City.jpg
    In The City.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 54
Took me total of about 13 hours color this. The adult Coloring Books are fun and relaxing :)

Attachments

• 20151208_073631.jpg
    20151208_073631.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 52
And here is part 1 (of 5) of an interview between Nurmi and Monica Lindstrom (who's looking very thin...):

http://ktar.com/story/801682/legall...with-jodi-arias-attorney-kirk-nurmi-part-one/

Lindstrom is trying her best not to look like Jodi, thus the quest for angularity in the face. The only way to pull this off is extreme thinness, but that has a way of making hands look larger and larger....

What surprised me about this interview is that Nurmi is quite well spoken and he's not slow! He's also not defensive, as he has been most of the time, perhaps because he and Lindstrom kinda click. This is a way better format for him than a book. I would actually be interested in hearing more.

His face is so much more relaxed than during the trial......

Sending jingles to Nore. I hope she is feeling better. Does anyone have an update?

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you all again for your encouraging words last week. My prayers have been answered career wise. On Sunday night I was watching the eagles game (which was a miracle by itself) when one of my best friends who is a district attorney called and told me that his good friend has an immediate need for a paralegal. I have always wanted to be a paralegal and have a lot of experience in court with my previous career but never went to paralegal school, just have my bachelors degree in something else. His friend called me yesterday, I interviewed and got the job! I'm very excited and feel like my prayers have been answered. Even better is that she followed this case (we were talking about it) and totally understands my interest in the criminal mind. I'm really excited and so grateful to my good friend for thinking of me. It will be nice to be working with other adults and feeling like I'm providing for my kids again. Thank you all for your positive energy!

52242-Good-Morning-Everyone.jpg

Link: http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/52242-Good-Morning-Everyone.jpg?1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'9/11 Five' head back to court, though trial still distant

"GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, CUBA: The five men accused of plotting the September 11, 2001 attacks -- including the alleged mastermind -- are due back in military court this week, though their prospects for an actual trial remain elusive.

More than 14 years after Al-Qaeda hijackers seized four passenger jets and killed about 3,000 people in New York, at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania, the " 9/11 Five" who allegedly helped hatch the plot remain holed up in the US military's prison at Guantanamo Bay in southeastern Cuba.

Their case is moving at a snail's pace, slowed by countless defense motions and allegations of government misconduct, coupled with the sheer logistical headache of flying the judge, lawyers and other staff into and out of America's remote penal colony every time the men appear in court...

Guantanamo hearings often change at the last minute, but currently the men are expected in court Tuesday. Monday's session is a closed hearing between lawyers and the judge ."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-trial-still-distant/articleshow/50070973.cms
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to Announce Revised Terror Alert System

"The new U.S. terror alert system that Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said today he will announce in the coming days is actually more of a modification, a department official clarified later.

It is "not a new system," but rather a revision of the one that is already in place, the official said..."

http://news.yahoo.com/homeland-secu...rt-system-184517285--abc-news-topstories.html
------------------------------------------------------------

Pearl Harbor ceremony unites former U.S. and Japanese pilots

"Former U.S. airman Jack DeTour, 92, and Japanese fighter pilot Shiro Wakita, 88, sworn enemies during World War Two, together poured whiskey from a battered canteen into Pearl Harbor on Sunday to commemorate the 1941 attack on the U.S. naval base.

As the sun rose over the USS Arizona Memorial, the two former enemy pilots joined the "Blackened Canteen" service on the eve of the 74th anniversary of the Dec. 7 attack, which took 2,403 lives and drew the United States into World War Two..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pearlharbor-idUSKBN0TQ02320151207
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

She did not want to deliver the baby': Mother of Calif. newborn found buried alive is charged

"...Washington, 33, was released from the hospital with her newborn daughter three days later, on Thanksgiving. The following afternoon, the infant was found buried alive in a crevice of broken pavement on a bike path in Compton, Calif., still wrapped in the white blanket she’d left the hospital with not 36 hours before.

Washington was charged with attempted murder and and child abuse, according to the AP. Sheriff’s investigators believe she left the child by the bike path on the morning of Nov. 27, the same day the baby was found...

Washington was arrested Dec. 3 and is currently being held at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood, Calif. If she’s convicted as charged, she faces a possible maximum sentence of life in state prison, according to AP...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-calif-newborn-found-buried-alive-is-charged/

AP_940473976187.jpg

(An unidentified deputy holds an infant girl who was found abandoned under asphalt and rubble, left, in Compton, Calif. [Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department via AP] )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing the Spectacle From Mass Shootings

"When it bleeds, must it lead?

Amidst the extensive coverage of Wednesday's massacre in San Bernardino is a key story angle journalists seldom consider: that we'd all be better off if these rampages didn't make the headlines. The elephant in the room is that relentless reporting may well have the lethal effect of contributing to future carnage..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ira-s...e-fr_b_8708104.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: State lawyers reject arguments raised by death row inmate

"ATLANTA (AP) - Lawyers for Georgia filed court papers Monday rejecting arguments by an inmate set to be executed this week that prosecutors had used false and misleading testimony to convict him.

Brian Keith Terrell, 47, is scheduled to receive a lethal injection at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the state prison in Jackson. He was convicted of the June 1992 killing of John Watson, a friend of his mother.

Terrell's lawyers argued in a court filing Friday that no physical evidence links Terrell to the slaying of the man from Covington, east of Atlanta. They also said Terrell's cousin, whose testimony prosecutors relied on, has since said he lied to save himself.

Lawyers for the state countered Monday that the courts have already heard and rejected the issues raised by Terrell's lawyers...."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...wyers-reject-arguments-raised-death-r/339337/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the Criminal Justice System Just and What Do We Do if It's Not?

"In the last three months, the United States has executed eight people. Prior to their executions, these individuals collectively served over 100 years on death row. They contribute in number to the 1,421 individuals who have been executed by the United States since 1976..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hope-...ce-s_b_8714036.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=Crime
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This 'Wizard Of Oz' Theme Park Opens Its Doors Just For You

"During the summer of 1970, North Carolina's Land of Oz theme park welcomed a whopping 400,000 visitors in a matter of months. For a time, it was the second most-visited amusement park in the eastern United States, playing runner-up to Disney World, according to a local magazine.

So what happened, and why have you almost certainly NEVER heard of this place?..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...5feff635?cps=gravity_1787_3053353836795546519

56659a0b1b0000580129f593.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it harder to be a mom these days?

“Stop telling me I’m poisoning my kids”: Food crusaders, sancti-mommies and the rise of entitled eaters
I was an all-organic, clean-eating, sugar-free mom, too. It drove my family insane without making us healthier

"...What these privileged diets are more likely to guarantee than a clean bill of health is a whole new generation of entitled eaters. I know, because I was once an all-organic, clean-eating sugar-free mom, too. I spent way too many hours hunting down obscure ingredients like coconut sugar and verifying whether my honey was indeed “real.” My kids weren’t any healthier. I was just making everyone miserable spending time and money chasing what I thought was healthier food.

But the experience was valuable because it showed me how the “mommy wars” are no longer just about breastmilk and working outside of the home. The newest battle lines have been drawn over transgenic crops or so-called “frankenfoods.” Celebrity moms like Gwyneth Paltrow and Sarah Michelle Gellar, as well as Moms Across America food activists like Zen Honeycutt, are some of the most vocal opponents of GMOs..."

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/06/sto...ncti_mommies_and_the_rise_of_entitled_eaters/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are the baby boomer generation so afraid of aging?

"...How on earth could a mother forgo a future in favour of an early death because of her fears of being, as she angrily stated when one of her daughters announced she was pregnant, a grandmother and “past her sell by-date”?...

...those of us born during the baby boom, and now aged between 50 and 69, were the first generation to reject the inevitability of the ageing process....

As a society, we have lost the respect for the elderly we once had. “Dignity” in old age has become synonymous with Dignitas....

...although the average baby boomer doth protest an awful lot about ageing, and worry about lost youth, few of us would totally deny the positive aspects that come with age and maturity...."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/goodlife...so-afraid-of-aging/?utm_hp_ref=fifty&ir=Fifty
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Single society: more of us are living alone in 2015

"Many of us worry about our relatives, and the time they spend alone as they grow older.

According to new figures released this month, the number of people living alone aged between 45 and 64 has risen by 23 per cent over the last decade...."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/goodlife/living/single-society-more-of-us-are-living-alone-in-2015/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melvin Williams, an Inspiration for ‘The Wire,’ Dies at 73

"Melvin Williams, whose exploits as a drug kingpin in Baltimore informed the plot and character details of the HBO series “The Wire,” and who, after emerging from prison, played a role on the show, died on Thursday in Baltimore. He was 73.

A spokeswoman for the Wylie Funeral Home in Randallstown, Md., confirmed the death, saying that the funeral arrangements were being handled by its Baltimore branch. The Baltimore Sun reported that Mr. Williams died at the University of Maryland Medical Center and, citing unidentified friends of his, said the cause was cancer...

Released from prison for the last time in 2003 after finding religion — “Sometime in my 50s, I became aware that there was a God in charge, and not a Melvin,” he said in court — he did community service work trying to steer young people away from the kind of life he had led..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/a...s-an-inspiration-for-the-wire-dies-at-73.html

0008117.jpeg

RIP :candle:

12 Ways You Know Your Cat Loves You :cat:
"If you have a cat, you probably find yourself wondering who is really the owner and who’s the pet in your relationship. Cats are majestic, independent animals, and even though some of them are total cuddle bugs, many others prefer spending time alone to spending time with their humans. However, even though your cat might not seem affectionate, she might just be telling you she loves you in her own language!..."

http://www.littlebudha.com/cat-love...m_medium=redhead_1&utm_campaign=cat-loves-you

ThinkstockPhotos-99549951-600x400.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Section 7

Rooster shake-Up

L talks about members of Office of the Public Defender

in chap 37- will talk about loss of the murderer's original DV expert

in chap 38- will talk about loss of original team

in chap 39- will talk about building new team
==================================================

Chapter 37

Others Want Out, Some Make It, Some Do Not and Alyce Comes to Wonderland

a week after judge Duncan ordered L to remain the murderer's atty- PDO's administrators decided that having L as non-employee was problem- being in charge of their employees- didn't have control over him

L had to file another Motion to Withdraw

L states the PDO said that there was no problem with his conduct- it was "not about me, but their system..[L] was not ordering these people to do inappropriate things, this motion was denied"

L wishes he had original team "throughout the case"

at same time, one of the experts became ill- wouldn't be available to testify at trial- allowed to withdraw

L states that this type of expert "was a huge loss to" the murder's case

L talks about law and defendant's "unrestrained right to not only defend themselves against the charges but to defend their life by presenting mitigating factors to their jury...These rights are absolute" (pg. 214)

L needed to find new DV expert who could be ready for trial Nov., 2011

after some time, L found ALV - counselor DV relationships in various settings- no PHD so was risky- "she was one of the few experts willing to give it a go, out of a modicum of desperation, I was willing to consider using her"

L sent her some material, talked on phone a few times- impressed with her

"Alyce was both very knowledgeable on the subject of domestic violence and quite likable as well" but no PHD

ALV was "not sold on taking the case"- before taking case she wanted to meet the murderer- spent "greater part of the day" with the murderer

L, ALV, and Mit Spec met over dinner- "I greeted Ms. LaViolette with a hug and said she 'Okay, I'm in' "
==================================================

Chapter 38

I Lose My Team

L thought that trial would start Nov., 2011- he was "excited. The thought of being rid of Ms. Aris by the summer of 2012 and being able to move on with my life was exciting" (pg. 217)

OPD had a conflict of interest- could no longer be involved with murderer's case

L explains some conflict of interests and:

"As it relates to the Arias case this conflict likely arose because...something was discovered about a newly listed witness or something was discovered related to an old witness that would not allow the Public Defender's Office to be involved in the case from an ethical standpoint" (pg. 217)- L doesn't know what conflict was tho'

Judge granted PDO's request- so L had no team

L states that he thought the murderer wasn't unhappy about a new team

"As for MS. Arias.....I don't even think she was unhappy about the ruling. Ms. Arias could not seem to manipulate any of the people she was losing so I suspect that in her mind she at least now had a chance to manipulate her new team members" (pg. 218)

L wasn't happy- he didn't know when case was going to trial- couldn't go to trial until the murderer had "a complete defense team"- problem not just finding them, but new team needed time to "get up to speed on the case"

"My sentence had gotten longer....I would be working on the case without the team with for about two years...I felt I was screwed....I really cared for these people...they would no longer be helping me on a daily basis...they had a great deal of knowledge about the case" (pg. 219)

L states that he was her only lawyer- former team members were happy to be out- they did not have positive feelings for the murderer

"..in addition to continue to develop the case with Alice LaViolette, I had to bring a whole new team on board. I had to educate them on Ms. Arias' case and more importantly about Ms. Arias as a person. The latter being of the most importance because frankly I knew I had to do it quickly before Ms. Arias was able to figure out how she could manipulate them." (pg. 220)
=====================================================================

Chapter 39

Building a new Team

L had to figure out "where these people were coming from....all qualified attorneys in Maricopa Countywere one potential source...another... the 'county contract list'..a list of Capital Attorneys, Investigators and Mitigation Specialists...maintained by Maricopa County" (pg. 221)

L states that Judge Stephens asked him to use the "county contract list" and gave him a week to find his team- the murderer had her own list for Co-counsel for L, but never presented him with list (he would have ignored her list- and that would have caused more problems)

L states that, at the time, he thought his new team wouldn't have much work to do as "most of the work had already been done"

L states he had his own theories on how best to proceed in case "virtually every fact from every angle possible. This is not to say that I was not open to new thoughts..I realized that it might be hard for some people to accept my thinking because as they learned about the case they might have their own theories...or what evidence to present to the jury" (pg. 222)

L states that this new team might be frustrated when presenting their theories- they "might get frustrated when I explained that the former team already considered their thoughts and in essence, dismissed them"

L was looking for teammates who would understand where the case stood "and accept the strategy that had been mapped out without too many problems"

L used the "county contract list"- wanted Co-counsel who:

- able to choose the rest of team with him

- who was experienced in capital cases, contribute their own thoughts, follow his directions, work hard, who "Ms. Arias would like enough that she would not waste my time complaining about them"

L's 1st choice was too busy with another case- 2nd choice was also too busy

L then contacted Willmott- he had worked with her before, smart, easy to get along with, hardworking

Willmott didn't have capital trial experience- so, was 3rd choice

L thought the murderer would like her- "..(little did I know until later on) and she would not 'go rouge' "

"Looking back, in many ways I wish that I never would have called Jennifer and not for the reasons you think."- when he first made the call "at the very least we shared a pleasant acquaintanceship if not a somewhat distant friendship"

"However, now, I believe that what we went through together created a level of distaste for each other and I realize that such distaste would not exist if I had not made that call" (pg. 223)

Willmott accepted- join in the case- "her life was forever altered and seemingly for the worse" she "would never had said yes had she know what was to come"

-eg.-she was threatened and so were her children, "ugly things" were said about her on social media

L wishes that Willmott had to go through those things- she never complained about being on the case "nor, to her credit did she ever admit that she wished she would have simply hung up on me that day" (pg. 224)

L talks about how "wonderful" Willmott is

"she is someone with whom, if the stars ever so align, that I would be proud to once again call my friend"

L and Willmott discussed who team would be- L didn't only knew 1 name for Mit Spec- Willmott suggested MDLR who did a lot of capt'l cases, great with clients

L met with MDLR-

"found her smart, intelligent and to be a very compassionate person..let me say a few words about Maria to all those who choose to cyberbully her."

In future books, he will "references choices Maria made that I was not happy with...things I wish she would have not said...However.....those who bully Maria should know that she is a smart, kindhearted woman, a woman of faith with a goos sense of humor....may not be perfect.....she is someone who is worthy of your respect, not your distain" (pg. 225)

final member of team- "Bud"- the investigator....not much work for him in beginning- most investigating done already, but did lots more later on

"Bud" meant "a lot to me on a personal level. He became a huge asset to me because we shared the same outlook on" the murderer- he passed away at end of 2nd trial

the murderer 1st met Willmott , when they appeared before Judge, L states that "ironically" it did not "seem" that the murderer like Willmott "Ironic because of how much that would change over time"

End of Section 7 (pg. 225)
=====================================

Next:

Section 8
Pretrial Issues

Chapter 40
Ms. Arias Goes "Pro-Per"

Chapter 41
Felony Murder?

Chapter 42
Trying to Settle
=====================================

Our Christmas Tree 2015 --- Pic 3 of 3

attachment.php

Thanks for posting your pics (is that red/white stripped present for me? :facepalm: )

You have a very pretty tree. :christmastree:

Sending jingles to Nore. I hope she is feeling better. Does anyone have an update?

She's sick?

I just checked and last time she was on WS was 12/6.

I sent her an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member