SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need any hints?

[video=youtu;5eiQTFcFPDY]http://youtu.be/5eiQTFcFPDY[/video]

Hi all. :wave: Me and my DH were talking about the first "popular" music we remember hearing. This is one of mine, 1967. Look at these guys, the Elvis hairdo, how cute, :giggle: And what a great video. I just love this song. :)

[video=youtube;Tvu3xiFmfDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvu3xiFmfDU[/video]

I worked with and on the behalf of Holocaust survivors for many years, and as part of the job travelled to Nazi death and labor camps all over eastern Europe, including Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The Birkenau side still has a few barracks intact, and was the site where over a million Jews, many women and children, were murdered in gas chambers upon arrival by train, or worked to death, or suffered other unspeakably terrible tortures and deaths.

The place itself is monument. There are no markers, no plaques , no guides, no interpretations to be found there. The enormity of what happened there is beyond comprehension. There are no words there because there are no words adequate to describe or to explain.

The Auschwitz side of the complex is utterly different. Here one is meant to weep. There are labelled glass cases the size of very large rooms full to the ceiling of victims' hair, likewise cases of suitcases and satchels, and one containing just empty gas cannisters.

And there is a very large room sized case full of shoes... including baby shoes and slippers of every type. Perhaps these incredibly special little shoes will go to that room, in a separate display, these shoes made by a mother who had witnessed the murder of her own child yet was strong enough to hope for the survival of others.

(eta, please allow me. Yehei Shmei rabba mevorakh l'olam ul' almei almaya...)

A touching tribute, Hope.
Yehei Shmei rabba mevorakh l'olam ul'almei almaya (May His great Name be blessed forever and ever).

and some more

[video=youtu;Pq6f1tM5z24]http://youtu.be/Pq6f1tM5z24[/video]

Some Johnny Cash singing .........

[video=youtu;v2_sVIw7If8]http://youtu.be/v2_sVIw7If8[/video]

They all have "Boogie" in the titles, my theme would be.. I don't have a clue who any of these people are. LOL.

I worked with and on the behalf of Holocaust survivors for many years, and as part of the job travelled to Nazi death and labor camps all over eastern Europe, including Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The Birkenau side still has a few barracks intact, and was the site where over a million Jews, many women and children, were murdered in gas chambers upon arrival by train, or worked to death, or suffered other unspeakably terrible tortures and deaths.

The place itself is monument. There are no markers, no plaques , no guides, no interpretations to be found there. The enormity of what happened there is beyond comprehension. There are no words there because there are no words adequate to describe or to explain.

The Auschwitz side of the complex is utterly different. Here one is meant to weep. There are labelled glass cases the size of very large rooms full to the ceiling of victims' hair, likewise cases of suitcases and satchels, and one containing just empty gas cannisters.

And there is a very large room sized case full of shoes... including baby shoes and slippers of every type. Perhaps these incredibly special little shoes will go to that room, in a separate display, these shoes made by a mother who had witnessed the murder of her own child yet was strong enough to hope for the survival of others.

(eta, please allow me. Yehei Shmei rabba mevorakh l'olam ul' almei almaya...)

Thank you for sharing. Could we start a thread on the Holocaust somewhere on WS? It's been a strong interest of mine for most of my adult life.

And you have to do this to get back to Texas.

[video=youtu;r_eq0IyAaZ0]http://youtu.be/r_eq0IyAaZ0[/video]

Thank you for sharing. Could we start a thread on the Holocaust somewhere on WS? It's been a strong interest of mine for most of my adult life.

Ask a mod, maybe, where such a thread would belong, if it is OK?

Is there anything specific about the Holocaust that is most interesting to you?

Finally, my computer seems willing to work with me! :)

Being offline did make me slow my brain down, meaning reading some books and cooking some food, which I totally enjoyed doing.

I think the snow total here is 28-30"(?). It's still coming down, but expected to stop within the next few hours. Thank goodness!

My snow angels came this morning to make a first pass. I think it was about 15" at that point (However, at this hour, you can hardly see the path they carved out). And -- they were all GIRLS!!! -- OMG, it did my heart so much good. Talk about girl-power!

Made them some brownies for when they come back tomorrow...

Knocking on wood that my trackpad will cooperate with me and I can get caught up with everyone tomorrow.

I hope and trust that all are safe and well. :)

Ask a mod, maybe, where such a thread would belong, if it is OK?

Is there anything specific about the Holocaust that is most interesting to you?

Most of the Holocaust interests me. For many years I've watched and read almost everything I could find. Plus my dad was at Auschwitz during the liberation, a dentist in the US Army. We have had some discussions somewhere on WS but I cannot remember where at the moment.

Finally, my computer seems willing to work with me! :)

Being offline did make me slow my brain down, meaning reading some books and cooking some food, which I totally enjoyed doing.

I think the snow total here is 28-30"(?). It's still coming down, but expected to stop within the next few hours. Thank goodness!

My snow angels came this morning to make a first pass. I think it was about 15" at that point (However, at this hour, you can hardly see the path they carved out). And -- they were all GIRLS!!! -- OMG, it did my heart so much good. Talk about girl-power!

Made them some brownies for when they come back tomorrow...

Knocking on wood that my trackpad will cooperate with me and I can get caught up with everyone tomorrow.

I hope and trust that all are safe and well. :)

Do you mean the pad thing you use your finger to move the cursor? If so, you're not alone. Mine goes haywire when I doing important things, like websleuths, and it zooms in and out on it's own. It won't move and keeps scrolling then it stops and all right with the world. It drives me up a wall,and I don't know how to stop it.

Glad to see you stopping in and letting us know you're OK.

Do you mean the pad thing you use your finger to move the cursor? If so, you're not alone. Mine goes haywire when I doing important things, like websleuths, and it zooms in and out on it's own. It won't move and keeps scrolling then it stops and all right with the world. It drives me up a wall,and I don't know how to stop it.

Glad to see you stopping in and letting us know you're OK.

Yes, I only have a laptop, and I can be a little OCD sometimes when I think it's dirty. To me, it makes sense to keep it clean (to keep it in good working order), but even the smallest amount of moisture seems to make it go kerflooey. When that happens, I can't get the cursor to work, and just have to wait it out...

Well we didn't get that much snow after all. Maybe 12-18"? It has just drifted back and forth and blown everywhere. Most of the high snow drifts are stacked up against the back of the house. I truthfully was expecting a blizzard like the ones in 1983 or 1996. So glad this was not a repeat of those!

That coffee table in your pic didn't look like a telephone chair that you could sit on to me. :thinking:
I had one and it was strong enough to sit on (got rid of it along with lots of antique furniture a while ago when I downsized).

I like this pic- the color of the walls are beautiful (would love to have a library like this one, so I wouldn't have to get rid of any of my precious books :facepalm: )

Glidden-Point-Estate-Newcastle-Maine-For-Sale-7-e1445861110652.jpg

Link: http://1cqgxm3l59yi2wwbnn3qy35h.wpe...Newcastle-Maine-For-Sale-7-e1445861110652.jpg

I like this house, with all the furniture/decorations, just the way it is- just my style (this is in Connecticut):

Lakeside-Home-For-Sale-in-Riverside-Connecticut-14-e1452306755216.jpg

Lakeside-Home-For-Sale-in-Riverside-Connecticut-12-e1452306950912.jpg

Lakeside-Home-For-Sale-in-Riverside-Connecticut-5-e1452306908391.jpg

Lakeside-Home-For-Sale-in-Riverside-Connecticut-10-e1452306832295.jpg

http://hookedonhouses.net/2016/01/19/lovely-old-lake-house-for-sale-connecticut/

That's such a beautiful home, especially the library room with the built in bookcases and the details in the woodwork around the fireplace and the crown molding, etc. My DH and I enjoy looking at old architecture, especially old homes. And we love to go on the home building tours in the spring. Unfortunately they don't build quality into homes like they did back in the "old" days. The true craftsmen are pretty much gone and builders don't take pride in what they do anymore. We call them "Drive By Builders".... They just throw it together. Thanks for the beautiful home pics, Y/N :) And why do you have to get rid of your books? :(

Well we didn't get that much snow after all. Maybe 12-18"? It has just drifted back and forth and blown everywhere. Most of the high snow drifts are stacked up against the back of the house. I truthfully was expecting a blizzard like the ones in 1983 or 1996. So glad this was not a repeat of those!

Just stepping out my front door and dipping my yardstick in (not in a snowdrift), it says almost 31". Oddly enough, DCA (which is in Virginia), where they "officially" measure snowfall for DC, has only registered something like 17.5". WTH?

As per usual in this town, this has led to a volatile discussion:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...led-into-question-after-improper-measurement/

Hooboy:facepalm:

Yes, I only have a laptop, and I can be a little OCD sometimes when I think it's dirty. To me, it makes sense to keep it clean (to keep it in good working order), but even the smallest amount of moisture seems to make it go kerflooey. When that happens, I can't get the cursor to work, and just have to wait it out...

I know a lot of people use the trackpad mouse that is right on the laptop but I have got so accustomed to using external mouse with mine that I use my USB=plugin Mouse with my laptop instead of my laptop supplied mouse. My new laptop has 3 USB ports so I use 1 for a USB Mouse and sometimes when I need to do a lot of typing I will even plug in my USB keyboard into a 2nd port instead of using the laptop keyboard.

I just don't like the latop mouse and laptop keyboard makes me crouch over too far. Using the external plug in mouse and keyboard is kind of nice but you have to be on a desk type area for it.

Works good if the laptop supplied devices give you trouble.

The neat thing about my plug in mouse is I ended up getting an infrared type mouse. It doesn't have a moving ball or anything. It has a red type light on it. And what is really nice about it is I have gotten used to using it on my leg. LOL

So I can sit back and just move the curor around by moving the mouse around on the side of my leg. LOL
Its real comfortable that way and I don't have to lean over at all in my chair. LOL

Here is my SMILE for the day

Attachments

• 12439320_538640126284959_1508455594556723869_n.jpg
    12439320_538640126284959_1508455594556723869_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 33
My dear Aunt fell yesterday and fractured her back. She is 85 yrs old. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

On a happy note, my 2 daughters, granddaughter, and great granddaughter are flying out to Disney World today. They have already left and will be home next Saturday. Lizzy gets to eat with Cinderella and then she gets the full treatment of dressing up like her favorite princesses. In her case it will be Queen Elsa from Frozen. They are staying at the Disney 'Toy Story' Hotel. Some little girl is sooooo excited!!! I know the bigger girls are just as excited, too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper