Singer Morrissey treated for cancer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd rather tell my The First Time I Heard the Smiths tale while Moz is gloriously alive -- and thus for many years to come hope so to be able to do; here it is.

Yes I'd heard of them but, in those pre-internet days, stuck in a record store-less town, in airwaves stll hostile to anything new (radio-wise we'd completely missed punk, and the unspeakable status quo was to reign grimly till Nirvana's put-paid arrival), I'd not chanced actually to hear that singular voice and that chiming guitar, to parse our those remarkable lyrics, to experience the old thrill of rock and roll renewal.

Till I found a couple of their LPs -- an import and a stateside release, iirc -- and of course bought them both immediately.

Segue to a garden party the next day, hosted by yrs trly -- or, rather, an outdoor bbq cookout on a plain city street in a plain midwestern town in a plain plains state, a clutch of college friends back from their lives and a further reckoning of we who had yet to get away and in escaping find our destiny.

Smiths platter laid onto the turntable from its freshly unwrapped sleeve, and

I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness
that was
criminally vulgar

I am the sun and air....

That sweet glorious ache that band made spilled upwards above and filled the neutral Kansas sky; friends paused in mid-beer to hear what can only be described as an event. Mission successful; again renewal: to quote the old VU chestnut from what seemed like centuries before, Lou's words with only a hint of accompanying hyperbole,

Oooh my life was saved by rock and roll, / Rock and roll.

Thanks Smiths; thanks SPM. Long may you run.

[video=youtu;JlYXp_3A64k]http://youtu.be/JlYXp_3A64k[/video]

I don't mind a little roccabilly Morrissey either ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQdyxaWUpY

and this is beautiful ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiUZYLm3CqA

Although I still think it was a disaster to break up the Smiths .. I do think Marr took as much *advertiser censored* as he could, but it would have been good if they'd been able to take a year off, not completely disband and give each other freedom to do solo projects as well as continue to work for The Smiths, neither one has achieved anything near the level they did when working together, as painful as that must have been.

Forgive the OT, but I agree that it was a huge disappointment when the Smiths broke up. Johnny Marr was an absolute wizard on the guitar. I bought a collector's edition of a Billy Bragg album that compiled a number of his earlier releases, and it has some Bragg and Marr duets that were beautiful. Also, for what it's worth, the Radiohead song "Knives Out" was written in honor of Johnny Marr, and it may have set the record for spending the longest time in studio and production for any pop single ever.

Montjoy, your post brought to mind two things that may interest some of you (or not, I'm really playing with fire here)..

1. I saw Billy Bragg open for The Smiths. It was either their first or second time they played in Toronto (lucky me, I went to both, had first row for the first concert as they weren't so popular yet and it wasn't that difficult to get good seats if you slept over in front of the record store from the night before. Anyway, those first two shows were a year apart at the same venue). IIRC Bragg even came out to play with them. Oh how I loved Billy Bragg too, singing about those poor striking miners. I'm pretty sure he was there the first year which I believe was '86. Morrissey wore a hearing aid onstage. He was the best.

2. And, speaking of Radiohead, I've never cared much for any covers of The Smiths, because nobody can play that guitar the same for one, but most of all the lyrics are lessened when sung by anyone else..... except Thom Yorke of Radiohead, because he is a hatful of hollow himsef. I chanced upon this on youtube a while back: Search "Radiohead plays the Smiths" and you will find them perform The Headmaster's Ritual in a jam session which progressively gets just that much more haunting in its sound than the original. The thing is Morrissey makes it funny as he always does, and with Thom Yorke it's not funny at all. That's probably the most I'd ever re-played a youtube video. It's so good.

Morrissey and Marr were their very best together. Such a big part of my most pensive, yet so problem-free, years.

Oh and conversation piece #3 totally OT, my colleague said "it's like we're waiting for Godot" in a conference call at work today, describing a situation we were in. Almost fell off my chair.

2. And, speaking of Radiohead, I've never cared much for any covers of The Smiths, because nobody can play that guitar the same for one, but most of all the lyrics are lessened when sung by anyone else..... except Thom Yorke of Radiohead, because he is a hatful of hollow himsef. I chanced upon this on youtube a while back: Search "Radiohead plays the Smiths" and you will find them perform The Headmaster's Ritual in a jam session which progressively gets just that much more haunting in its sound than the original. The thing is Morrissey makes it funny as he always does, and with Thom Yorke it's not funny at all. That's probably the most I'd ever re-played a youtube video. It's so good.

rsbm, and forgive the OT --

Yes, that's probably my most re-played youtube video as well! They really nailed it, and you could tell it was a labor of love. It's part of, iirc, the Basement sessions that they live-streamed for fans. They also did a smashing job of a Joy Division cover in that session.

And totally envious about you seeing Bragg and the Smiths together. What a show. I like him most when it's just him and a guitar -- 'Brewing Up with Billy Bragg' is a masterpiece.

Yes just Billy Bragg and his guitar, singing A New England.

I just sleuthed out the year, it was only 1985! My goodness, how was I allowed out of the house?

I'm jealous of you, Snoofo. Like many Smiths fans I was born after they broke up. Too bad Morrissey won't come back to Canada because he thinks we're too busy clubbing seals.

Don't feel bad about missing Morrissey live, he cancelled his concert the night I had tickets and was notorious for doing so .. Buying concert tickets was always a white knuckle affair.

I'm jealous of you, Snoofo. Like many Smiths fans I was born after they broke up. Too bad Morrissey won't come back to Canada because he thinks we're too busy clubbing seals.
Don't sweat it. It wouldn't be the same. Thank goodness for youtube.

Reminds me I did go see him years later, by then I was still in my early twenties with some friends that were not yet 30 and we still joke now about hearing a youngster there point out our group and say "there's even old people here". What??
[emoji30]

Meanwhile, Smiths love continues unchecked:

JohnnyMarrvellous ‏@JMarrvellous 45 minutes ago
Glasgow was rockin' tonight. Yet another fab gig from @Johnny_Marr & the boys, + great to see @mozzamad & @vickyinatutu again. Good times!

Quiz: to what seaside town has Morrissey said he's specifically referring?

A. Skegness
B. Weymouth
C. Borth
D. Prestatyn
And the answer is.....no, not Weymouth, I've a good friend who travels there regularly though; and no, not Prestatyn -- Philip Larkin has a poem titled after that locale. Skegness, then? Borth? It's (drumroll) the latter, and it's in Wales.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been to Davyhulme (where I believe he was born) and Stretford (where I think he lived at some point) on meetings when I went to Lancaster. I had always thought that perhaps the song referred to Morecambe, which was a sad, past its prime, resort town. I might have also guessed Blackpool, but it has bustled for years. Oh, and I also hoped it was Grange over Sands -- it also had the sort of aged glory. Oh well. I never would have guessed a place in Wales for Moz and family. Hope he's doing better.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been to Davyhulme (where I believe he was born) and Stretford (where I think he lived at some point) on meetings when I went to Lancaster. I had always thought that perhaps the song referred to Morecambe, which was a sad, past its prime, resort town. I might have also guessed Blackpool, but it has bustled for years. Oh, and I also hoped it was Grange over Sands -- it also had the sort of aged glory. Oh well. I never would have guessed a place in Wales for Moz and family. Hope he's doing better.
SPM traveled there as a young teen with a friend's family, a tag-along during which, as the song relates, his clothes were stolen from the bench he'd left them on.

"What do we get for our trouble and pain?
Just a rented room in Whalley Range."

Ok it's Best of Morrissey Time!

Absolutely the best, passionate, scarred young SPM. Love this song, it is one of my top 3 Smiths.

"Miserable Lie"

So, goodbye
Please stay with your own kind
And I'll stay with mine

There's something against us
It's not time
It's not time

So, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.........

I know I need hardly say
How much I love your casual way
Oh, but please put your tongue away
A little higher and we're well away
The dark nights are drawing in
And your humour is as black as them

I look at yours, you laugh at mine
And "love" is just a miserable lie

You have destroyed my flower-like life
Not once - twice

You have corrupt my innocent mind
Not once - twice

I know the wind-swept mystical air
It means: I'd like to see your underwear
I recognise that mystical air
It means: I'd like to seize your underwear

What do we get for our trouble and pain?
Just a rented room in Whalley Range
What do we get for our trouble and pain?
...Whalley Range!

Into the depths of the criminal world
I followed her...

I need advice, I need advice
I need advice, I need advice
Nobody ever looks at me twice
Nobody ever looks at me twice

I'm just a country-mile behind
The world
I'm just a country-mile behind
The whole world
Oh oh, oh...