Skyla Whitaker, 11, & Taylor Placker 13 - Found Murdered - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about the too many co-conspirators to keep it quiet for long (unless they are all extremely close-knit, like brothers). I do know there are handguns in the area. I have seen them and there are people who bring them to events like the Boley and Clearview rodeos (really not trying to scare anyone off of these two events, which are loads of fun, but there is some gang-banging involved). Handguns are everywhere, IMO.
My cousin is an okie bred and spread, bona fide, southern-fried good ol' boy and he has been known to shoot snakes with a handgun.
I thought at least one of the guns was a shotgun? Didn't they talk about finding shell casings? Are there other guns that produce shell casings? I am the non-gun person in my family.

Anyway, OSBI agents are saying they believe the witness at this point, so I defer to them since they certainly have more info. than us.

It's still worth considering, though.

I am okie too. When we go 4-wheeler riding (atv) we carry a 380 pistol to shoot snakes with. It easier to carry a pistol than a rifle on 4-wheeler. As far as I know all gun have shell cassings except for bb/ plette guns and muzzle loaders.

I asked this before and nobody touched it with a 10 foot pole. Skyla's mom was going to be driving along the road the girls were walking, why did Grandpa have to go look for them?
I have thought about that I keep coming up with him thinkink something was wrong, but his actions does not seem like there was. If I see people messing around in my yard or at the end of my drive I grab my pistol and cell phone and go see what going on. Maybe he does not own a gun or a cell phone so he could not take them. If it had been me that got the call I would done almost the same as you. I would have called the mom back and said they went walking t must have left the ringer off on the phone they are not answering would you mind picking them up on your way here. The only reason I would have went out looking for them if I thought they were not where they said they were going or I thought something was wrong. Why did Skyla's mom not just call the cell phone to talk to her.

I didn't know that we usually don't send LE links to our threads....I always include links to our discussions when communicating with them. I am sorry you seem to disapprove with the way I am handling things. I have no problem with them reading here, I welcome it. That is exactly why we mods/admin work so hard to keep them cleaned up and on topic.

Christine.................I'm glad you did send a link to LE. You never know when one little nugget of info might help the pieces fall into place.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/neo_sek/local_story_009195001.html?start:int=0

By Roger McKinney
rmckinney@joplinglobe.com
COLUMBUS, Kan. — The jury in a Cherokee County murder trial will begin deliberating today.
The defense rested its case Wednesday in the trial of Samuel Becker, 22, of Pittsburg. He is charged with first-degree murder in the Jan. 30, 2007, shooting death of Jamey Richardson in Baxter Springs. Becker also is charged with several other felonies, including kidnapping, aggravated battery and aggravated assault, with several alleged victims.
Richardson was a former key player for the Pittsburg State University basketball team.
The prosecution rested its case earlier Wednesday. Neither side called co-defendant Edward Gordon to testify. Gordon has an agreement with the prosecution to plead no contest to a charge of second-degree murder. The prosecution would seek a 10-year prison sentence for Gordon. The agreement requires him to testify against his co-defendants.

Data, Google witness retaliation and you'll find over a million results. It is a problem and it is epidemic. You are correct though and we need to verify that Gordon is the same as Skyla's brother.

Here is an example of witness retaliation and in this case the hit was arranged from behind bars after the defendant had been sentenced to life in prison:

http://www.nj.com/southjersey/index.ssf/2008/05/mother_of_trenton_girl_who_die.html

A woman's testimony against the drug dealer next door helped put him away for life. Now a fire has consumed her home and killed her 10-year-old girl, and police say the convicted man's associates may have set it.
Investigators found evidence suggesting arson in the blaze that killed Qua-Daishia Hopkins on Sunday, and Trenton Police Director Joseph Santiago said the case was being investigated as possible witness retaliation homicide. If that proves true, it would be the third such death in the city this year.

Apples and oranges...you cannot compare this case to that one. I do know and understand completely what retaliation is, but this one does not add up to that. Unless a child/children have witnessed a murder, then I have seen, read, heard of their murder to shut them up. That said, if that were the case here, someone would of had to stake out those homes, those girls, and even phones to know exactly where they were going to be. In rural Weleekta, OK.

I do not buy into this scenerio of murder to get even. I guess we can agree to disagree.

morningsun.net archives chronicles the richardson murder story

I dont know if the family had anything to do with the murders. I just have questions about why they did things the way they did them. I would not surpise me one bit if they were killed just cause some one could. I am still leaning towards drugs having something to do with it. I have not ideal how, why, or what.

But why would they choose Skyla when other (more closely related) family members are right there - or nearby? And did somebody drive from KS to kill Skyla as a message, and then do it at her friend's house and also kill her unrelated friend? Not much of a message in that? And Skyla did have a younger sister who was at HOME, probably all weekend - why not kill HER? At least THAT would make sense as a clear message. As this stands, I don't think Skyla's parents OR more importantly, Edward, would even get that Skyla's murder was a message from Edward's co-defendants. The way this went down, there isn't any connection at all to Skyla, Edward or anyone in Skyla's family.

And finally OSBI said they have more than ONE witness - if these folks saw the POI and saw Skyla and Taylor walking then why didn't they see an out of state vehicle driving slowly on the same road?

Yep, these guys were bad news, but not very smart and certainly not rich. I don't get the idea that they were smart enough or rich enough to put out a hit (especially one on a child that lived so far away) - and I doubt their family members or friends did it for them either. Killing Skyla this way didn't send a message to ANYONE, least of all, her (possible) brother in Prison (in KS).

It always pays to check out EVERY POSSIBILITY but I think this one will be a quick dead end.
My Opinion

I am interested in what you think happened. I know I have read it before but through all the different theories I have forgotten what you have stated.

I am okie too. When we go 4-wheeler riding (atv) we carry a 380 pistol to shoot snakes with. It easier to carry a pistol than a rifle on 4-wheeler. As far as I know all gun have shell cassings except for bb/ plette guns and muzzle loaders.

I have thought about that I keep coming up with him thinkink something was wrong, but his actions does not seem like there was. If I see people messing around in my yard or at the end of my drive I grab my pistol and cell phone and go see what going on. Maybe he does not own a gun or a cell phone so he could not take them. If it had been me that got the call I would done almost the same as you. I would have called the mom back and said they went walking t must have left the ringer off on the phone they are not answering would you mind picking them up on your way here. The only reason I would have went out looking for them if I thought they were not where they said they were going or I thought something was wrong. Why did Skyla's mom not just call the cell phone to talk to her.

Maybe I missed it, but do we know for a fact that Skyla had a cell? If she did, maybe her mom did call it but she didn't answer. That would make her mom call the grandpa.

Maybe I missed it, but do we know for a fact that Skyla had a cell? If she did, maybe her mom did call it but she didn't answer. That would make her mom call the grandpa.

IIIC, Taylor had the cell phone. I don't believe any mention has ever been made to Skyla having one.

Good Morning Guy's :blowkiss:

This is a little off track from the sleuthing that is going on in these threads but I thought a little something to lighten your hearts as it did mine might be in order this morning.

This tragedy has weighed heavily on my mind and heart since the beginning my therapy is my flower garden so to the garden I went. As I was pulling weeds I stepped back and noticed that two of my daisy plants had come back strong this year and very large the front on being a Black-eyed Susan and the back one being a very large very bright yellow both getting ready for full bloom. Then all of the sudden into my mind popped the diagram of the angels and how they fell on the side of the road (sorry I don't know who posted it to give credit) and I realized my daisy's were in almost the exact same position in my garden, a wave of sadness took over. I shook my head and decided I had to get away so to the garden shop I went, there I found the cutest large ceramic turtle with two girl angels sitting on his back. Well for one I began to cry then I picked it up and payed and made my way back home. I put it in my garden in between the two daisy's. I said a prayer for the angels and their families and vowed I would never forget EVER. I went back to pulling weeds as I stood up I looked to the turtle and two very large and very beautiful butterflies one was blue and gold the other bright yellow were sitting on the tops of the angels on the turtle. I stood and stared and the feeling came over me that those two angels are with us and will stay with us till the end and their murderous animals are brought to justice. The feeling of joy and happiness filled me in a time were I have felt alot of sadness. Ever since that day whenever I come and go from my home I say good morning and good night to the memory of those little angels that live on in my garden.

I hope that I could give you all a little smile this morning maybe lighten your hearts a little as it did mine.

A very touching and beautiful story! :)

But they did not just move recently. One of Taylors school photo says 2006 so that can't be recently. or at least I would not consider that recently.

If I remember correctly, I think it was mentioned in one of the earlier reports that the Plackers moved from Oklahoma City to Weleetka in 2005. I remember reading that, and their reason for moving was to escape the violence.

But concern equals worry which equals urgency which does not equal walking.

The oldest was 13. You just don't panic and freak out when you're dealing with a kid that age. Believe me, I've done it. I get the "I'm not a baby any more mom" all the time. You have to give kids a little space. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY would think that something even close to this would happen to those little girls. If we did, we wouldn't have 5 or 6 threads on this already.

I think it's possible that Skyla's mom called and said, "I'm on my way, could you please tell Skyla to be ready to go because we have such and such to do and I'm going to be in a hurry".

Just maybe.

I think it's possible that Skyla's mom called and said, "I'm on my way, could you please tell Skyla to be ready to go because we have such and such to do and I'm going to be in a hurry".

Just maybe.

Yes, they could have been going to attend church that Sunday afternoon.

I would have done exactly the same thing that Taylor's mom and dad did.

imo

What keeps me wondering and thinking is that both girls were executed..not one or the other. Since they were together that makes some sense..but if this was a hit..then normally that would not be the case. If they were after one or the other of the girls to make a point, then they would have waited for a time when they were alone. Taylor walked that road everyday. If they were after just her, then why not wait a day or until later that evening when she would have been alone. If they were after Skyla ..why do this on a weekend day when she was not at home..they would have known the schedules and habits of these girls if this was a hit.

I think something else is at work here..but I am not sure what..except I don't think either family is involved. I just think they unknowingly witnessed something that day ,or the day before possibly they walked the same path, and someone came back to take care of it.

Any matching relatives or addresses for Gordon on a people search?

I'm trying to catch up with the thread today, and I don't know if this has been posted yet. This is the funeral notice for Skyla Whitaker, listing her survivors.

Funeral Notice: Skyla Whitaker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ][ Obituaries for Henryetta and Surrounding Areas ] Posted by RogersFH on June 11, 2008 at 13:27:52:
[SIZE=-1]IP:75.110.172.28

[/SIZE] Skyla Jade Whitaker a resident of Rural Henryetta (Salem) passed this life on June 8, 2008 at the age of 11. Born April 5, 1997 in Joplin, Missouri to William and Rose (Farrow) Whitaker. Skyla attended Graham School. She is preceded in death by a Grandmother “Sam” Getman

Survived by her parents; William and Rose Whitaker of the home
3 Sisters: Rosita Gordon of Tulsa,Ok
Christina Whitaker of Popular Bluff, Missouri
Jayme Whitaker of the home.
Brother: Edward Gordon of Columbus, Kansas
Maternal Grandparents: Jim and Claudia Farrow of rural Graham,OK
Paternal Grandparents: Bill and Sharron Whitaker of Baxter Springs, KS
Linda Pritchard of Henryettta
“Granny”- Hester Gregg of Wagnor
“Grandpa”- Harold Getman of Baxter Springs, KS
Great Grandmother- Mary Pritchard of Miller, Missouri

Services will be 2:00pm, Friday, June 13, 2008 at the Henryetta First Baptist Church with Rev. Jim Paslay, officiating. Services are under the direction of the Rogers Funeral Home.

Editing to add link:
http://www.eboards4all.com/728165/messages/1247.html

Apples and oranges...you cannot compare this case to that one. I do know and understand completely what retaliation is, but this one does not add up to that. Unless a child/children have witnessed a murder, then I have seen, read, heard of their murder to shut them up. That said, if that were the case here, someone would of had to stake out those homes, those girls, and even phones to know exactly where they were going to be. In rural Weleekta, OK.

I do not buy into this scenario of murder to get even. I guess we can agree to disagree.

I respect your opinion, Data, but on this one I must disagree.

Money had nothing to do with it imo. The co-defendant in these horrible crimes had already been convicted and sentenced to life plus 68 years.

Graham, the other main co-defendent, knew his time was nearing next and Ed Gordon most likely was going to be the key witness in his case. What better message is there to give to shut them up than taking the life of a person's younger sister and friend? The thoughts of doing life can make someone very angry against the one they think snitched them out and is going to help put them there. Lack of freedom for life can be a powerful motivating factor imo.

These guys including Gordon hung around together. Maybe they knew Skyla was the apple of his eye. Maybe they had even gone with him when he went home to his mom and sister's in Weeleeta for a visit. They may have even met Taylor before if she was over there.

I am sure Graham has others on the outside that are also in his "group" of hanger-ons and family members who may not be the most logical in the world and may fully blame Gordon for their family members woes in the justice system.

We do not know if this person may have prior knowledge that Taylor and Skyla were best friends and knew where both of their homes were already located. We do not know if he may have followed Skyla's mom over there if she took her daughter to Taylor's to spend the night that Saturday.

But I do think it was doable for someone with a preconceived vendetta to harm.

Now there certainly are other viable motives and theories but I don't discount this one though.

imoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member