GUILTY South Africa - Gill Packham, 57, murdered, Cape Town, 22 February, 2018 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rob Packham steps out as state reads out that the matter is now schedule 5. Magistrate Bawa ordered media to not show the accused's face.

State does not oppose bail and has drafted bail conditions if Rob Packham, accused is released on bail. Proposes bail at R50 000

State: Witness number two is a family member.

Defense has just read out an affidavit written by the accused. Accused says he has no intention to evade trial. Accused intends to plead not guilty. Wants to be released on 50 000 bail.

Rob Packham is a CA. Owns an 4.5 million rand house in Constantia where he was arrested last week. Has been married to Gill Packham who also owned two of her own properties, for 30 years.

Accused, Rob Packham is a general manager of Twizza, a soft drink company and earns R80 000 after deduction. He and Gill Packham have two daughters, aged 25 and 27 years old. Rob says he still needs to look after the youngest who recently graduated from Stellenbosch University.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa says the court is satisfied that accused is not a flight risk and will not interfere with witnesses. Bail granted at R50 000 with conditions, under house arrest.

Gill Packham case postponed till 8 May 2018 for further investigation.

Gill Packham's daughters get emotional in court. Father, Rob Packham has been granted bail and will go back home and will go back to work.

https://twitter.com/Artii_M?ref_src...ham-murder-husband-rob-in-court-after-arrest/

How odd that the Magistrate ordered the media not to show his face as it's already been posted all over the internet.

I'm a bit surprised that he's been granted bail as the SAPs haven't found the murder weapon yet. I hope they keep a close eye on him.

A Constantia man accused of murdering his wife allegedly had an addiction that involved handcuffs and whips.

Die Burger reported on Wednesday that the victim’s friends had submitted statements to police alleging that Packham had received therapy for a sex addiction.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-had-addiction-involving-handcuffs-and-whips/

It's not surprising then that he and his wife were having marital problems.

RP will be allowed to go to work, attend his wife's funeral and consult his lawyer.

His lawyer said RP would continue to cooperate with the police as they continued with their investigation, which included an identity parade, cellphone analysis, and getting the final forensic report on Gill's death.

Due to the pending identity parade the media may only publish pics of him if his face is blurred.

RP said in his affidavit, "I have the full support of my family during this terrible time".

[url]https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/house-arrest-for-constantia-man-accused-of-wifes-murder-20180309[/URL]

When I first read I thought it was a case of another self entitled SA man murdering his partner rather than divorcing but with the mentions of sex addiction + handcuffs/whips, is this going to end up as a 'nonsense' gone too far?

Dreadful either way.

The State says it still has to conclude its investigation into the matter as several reports are outstanding. Notwithstanding this, it has already indicated that it has a strong case against RP.

I find it curious that Gill had sent WhatsApp messages to friends saying her husband had refused to stop his “nonsense”. I don't know whether she was referring to his sex addition and/or handcuffs/whips, but I'm surprised that she would discuss either with friends if she was on the receiving end of his attention.

Just two days before Gill Packham went missing on 22 February, she and her husband, Rob, were seen strolling hand in hand down the leafy street. “They looked so happy,” a neighbour said. The first sign that something was wrong was when the couple’s younger daughter posted on Facebook that her mother was missing. After trying to reach her mother all day and asking if anyone had seen her, she reported her missing to the police by 6pm.

RP ran a neighbourhood WhatsApp group so the community could keep in touch about safety matters and other issues, but on the day that Gill disappeared a neighbour said they hadn’t heard anything. There was no message that said “My wife’s missing, has someone in the street seen her?”

On the morning Gill disappeared, RP didn’t show up for work. At RP's first appearance in the Magistrate's Court, prosecutors alleged he'd called a colleague that morning and instructed the co-worker to say they'd been in a meeting at the time of the incident.

Police records show his cellphone signal had been picked up by towers in Constantia and the nearby suburb of Diep River that day.

A woman, Anna, who lived next to the Diep River railway station said her dogs barked incessantly that afternoon and she had asked her son, Peter, to quieten them down a few times.

Earlier in the day, Peter noticed a dark green BMW parked under the trees. When he went outside to quieten the dogs, he heard someone running away. That’s when he first saw the BMW parked under the trees. Later, the dogs started barking again and they were going crazy. When Anna and Peter went outside they saw the BMW’s bonnet was on fire and smoke was coming from underneath the car. While Anna went to ring the police, Peter ran towards the car and saw a man watching the burning car from another car a short distance away. He called out to the man and wanted to ask if he’d called the police but when the man saw Peter, he turned his car around and sped away. Moments later the BMW was engulfed in flames.

http://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/you-south-africa/20180322/283497911566659

I’m looking forward to seeing how the defence will deal with this case.

Rob Packham steps out as state reads out that the matter is now schedule 5. Magistrate Bawa ordered media to not show the accused's face.

State does not oppose bail and has drafted bail conditions if Rob Packham, accused is released on bail. Proposes bail at R50 000

State: Witness number two is a family member.

Defense has just read out an affidavit written by the accused. Accused says he has no intention to evade trial. Accused intends to plead not guilty. Wants to be released on 50 000 bail.

Rob Packham is a CA. Owns an 4.5 million rand house in Constantia where he was arrested last week. Has been married to Gill Packham who also owned two of her own properties, for 30 years.

Accused, Rob Packham is a general manager of Twizza, a soft drink company and earns R80 000 after deduction. He and Gill Packham have two daughters, aged 25 and 27 years old. Rob says he still needs to look after the youngest who recently graduated from Stellenbosch University.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa says the court is satisfied that accused is not a flight risk and will not interfere with witnesses. Bail granted at R50 000 with conditions, under house arrest.

Gill Packham case postponed till 8 May 2018 for further investigation.

Gill Packham'sdaughters get emotional in court. Father, Rob Packham has been granted bail and will go back home and will go back to work.

https://twitter.com/Artii_M?ref_src...ham-murder-husband-rob-in-court-after-arrest/

Only a few days to go, and we may hear more about this case. :thinking:

Rob Packham appeared at Wynberg Magistrate’s court on Tuesday, 8 May. He will have to surrender his Audi Q5 to the police for investigation. Prosecutor Benjamin said that investigators needed to obtain tyre imprints from the accused's motor vehicle.

Packham's lawyer, Ben Mathewson, told the court that his client was willing to cooperate with the police and would surrender his vehicle as soon as a date was set.

Mathewson notified the court of his intention to make a formal application to amend the accused's bail conditions, which prevent him from communicating with witnesses, including his sister. He said, "[They] should be amended to read that the accused may not communicate with his sister on the merits of the case".

Magistrate Bawa postponed the matter to July 10 to allow for further investigation, including the post-mortem report and DNA analysis results for the blood found in the accused's home.

[URL]https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/court-orders-constantia-man-accused-of-wifes-murder-to-hand-over-his-audi-to-investigators-20180508[/URL]

Team News24@TeamNews24 · May 8
A photo identity parade was conducted - media is thus allowed to publish pictures of the accused.

https://twitter.com/ChristinaPitt94

State prosecutor Brynmor Benjamin said a photo parade had resulted in a positive identification of the accused.

Benjamin said the car would be surrendered until the investigation was complete.

He said it was also agreed that the defence would give the State Packham’s bank statements. “I have told the investigating officer to do a Section 205 application to access the accused’s banking details if the defence does not provide these,” he said.

During the bail application, the court heard the couple had had marital problems, adding the accused had sent his wife a cellphone message saying “thinking of calling it a day”.

He has been restricted to house arrest at his home as part of the bail conditions.

The case has been postponed to July 2.

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/gillpackham-murder-accused-surrenders-car-statements-14854877

The adjournment date appears to have changed from 2 July to 10 July.

If this crime occurred in February 2018, it has proceeded to trial quite quickly nevertheless. I guess they cannot prove premeditation so it is Schedule 5. Let's hope they find the murder weapon in the meantime. IMO he may as well admit he is guilty. Another one for Pollsmoor Prison.

OK, I'm curious now about who wears the handcuffs, and gets whipped. In the name of equality I'm not assuming its Rob, his 'partner', or whether its a man or a woman.

Just thinking, with the limited info so far, about Rob's possible emotional needs. To begin making sense of his day to day life pressures and how they could lead to murder in this context.

BDSM: “Bondage, Discipline, and Sadomasochism.”

Dominant or Submissive? Paradox of Power in Sexual Relations

"What’s perhaps most interesting in all this is the psychological (rather than sexual) relief that many alpha males in socially dominant positions experience in identifying with the submissive role (think bankers, CEO’s, even university deans). Fantasizing themselves as “liberated” from all the responsibilities that go with functioning in dominant professional roles offers them a respite from always having to be in control. And, of course, since they get to choose the fantasy material that most turns them on, they haven’t really given up control in such a way that might produce anxiety. So it’s something like having their (erotically escapist) cake and eating it, too. It’s certainly significant that Ogas and Gaddam emphasize that BDSM play, unlike other sexually ritualistic practices, isn’t generally geared toward inducing orgasm. Instead, it’s about taking care of a (non-sexual) need—which, I would add, has been fervidly eroticized. You might even call the whole thing an “alpha holiday.”

The article also reports that submissive sites for males are more popular that those for women, though both are popular. Equally many women also like to take on the dominant role in seducing the man.

Last edited:
Do we know if this trial will be live streamed?

At the moment News24 only has the ability to do one livestream at a time. They said this in the Chat during HvB's judgment or sentence. I'm unaware of them giving advance notice of their intention to cover any trial but we will certainly know about it on the day. They are the only media outlet that having decided to live stream, will do so from beginning to end.

As this is yet another trial of a privileged white male accused of killing someone, it will probably have a large following in SA so I'm hopeful. Did you notice that over 95,000 viewed the full live stream of HvB's sentencing?

Stay tuned Apples.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back