South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi Van Breda, 22, Murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM
https://twitter.com/Traceyams

Adv B: the swabbing under Henri's finger nails was dna- not blood dna, we dont know what dna- not unusual to find dna of family members on each other because daily family activities they transfer dna

It may not be unusual to find family members' DNA on each other which could be transferred from normal household items, e.g. glasses, cutlery etc., but how would their DNA get underneath HvB’s nails? It may be possible but is it probable given the murder scene and the suggestion that Rudi had been moved?

Yes and he was using a cordless phone so he could have checked on them. Also why did the father throw himself in front of the attacker and didnt try to grab him from behind? Why did the mother go towards the danger shouting "what is going on here?" Instead of calling police? Who is the owner of the bloodied t-shirt found under Rudi's bed? Why did Henri try to call his girlfriend a few times but not security or ran out to call a neighbour? And he was sitting outside with the dog when police arrived-still didn't check or try to reassure Marli that help was on the way.

Agreed, the defence didn't provide proof of any intruders/foreign dna. Guess we will have to wait for the verdict on 23 April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffhq1sKvguc

Henry Van Breda axe-murder trial - The State's case
By Tracey Stewart (Traceyams on twitter)

“In a three part series, Cape Town's Etc's legal expert Tracey Stewart, will breakdown the Henri Van Breda Axe Murder trial and give our viewers an expert's insight into the States Case, the Defense's case and what is expected to happen next.”

No problem with her views here BUT I wait to hear her Defense case and her final comments.

The following are the points outlined by Tracey Stewart in her YouTube videos which she believes support the arguments made by the State and the Defence.

The State’s Case

1. Henri found alone on the scene
2. Self-inflicted wounds (she thinks this is the strongest point for the State)
3. Security of the estate
4. No evidence of intruders:
No foreign DNA
Only family members’ fingerprints
No unidentified shoeprints
No prints on boundary wall
No signs of break-in
No signs of attackers fleeing
No valuables taken
Location and severity (of the attacks)
5. 2 hr 40 min
6. Axe and knife came from within the house
7. Phone call – rational, calm, logical and strategical
8. Contrasting wounds of family
9. Henri’s statement – (he has altered or added detail where evidence was incriminating)
10. Seeking help
11. Aiding family
12. Blood in the shower
13. The argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffhq1sKvguc

The Defence’s Case

1. Henri took the stand
2. DNA evidence:
Forensic Labs not accredited
Analyst not proficient
SOP not followed
Exclude DNA evidence

Even if evidence is accepted:
DNA supports Henri’s version
Henri’s DNA not on family
Marli’s DNA not on axe (was there a second intruder who also had an axe) – see Point 4 of the State’s case
3. Perimeter alarm triggered to 03 hr 37 min
4. Epilepsy
5. Not all of the shoe prints were tested
6. Foreign hair on scene
7. Statement to police
8. No motive – close family
9. Toilet bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKanB646nA

Thanks JJ. What do you think of her comments? I think a lot of the points can be shot down quite easily (and she does this herself) but do you think there is much there that could sway Judge Desai on the legal side of the argument?

I don't recall Otto being found to not be proficient. I must have missed this during the long arguments about the lab not being accredited which did get incredibly boring over several days.

Could judge Desai order the samples be retested at an accredited lab? As TM pointed out, if he accepts lack of accreditation of Otto's lab being important then all forensic evidence in SA will be valueless. I don't see him going there but there seems some sort of legal precedence which could throw out the lab tests.

IB, I think Tracey omitted some important points from the State’s argument, but two are critical.

Galloway said that there was no DVD of Star Trek and that this was not reflected on WhatsApps. Why this wasn’t repeated over and over by Galloway is amazing. If there is no DVD, then that is absolute proof that HvB lied about them watching the movie and confirms that the neighbour Opt’ Hof did hear the argument. If you recall, the argument was the reason why he changed his timeline.

Then there’s another huge lie. HvB said he and Rudi were both on their laptops after they got into bed, and yet Rudi’s laptop was not in the bedroom, it was downstairs.

How Tracey could have omitted both of these points is appalling. She hasn’t gone through the videos of the closing arguments, only her tweets.

Re the proficiency test:

To confirm her proficiency, Otto said she undergoes a test once a year, either internal (national) or external (international).
Combrink went through a past proficiency test she took and said her result in the test was wrong.
Otto was at pains to explain that her outcome was according to the SOPS and evidential value.
Combrink said if Otto was given a case like this Q in her test, she would have failed.
Otto replied, “I was following SOP, not for me to change it”.

As I said at the time, DNA evidence alone never sends anyone to prison for life.

If the defence weren’t satisfied with the DNA testing, it was up to them to have had it done, not Desai. It’s part of the Defence’s case.

As we have some time on our hands, I've gone through all the tweets on the arguments of the State and Defence. I thought it might be useful to have the general content of the tweets all on one post. They are not necessarily verbatim. As several people were tweeting, I've taken the liberty of merging some rather than doubling up, and I've omitted others. I've also corrected them re spelling, grammar etc. The purpose of this exercise was to have a copy that we can look at and critique rather than having to go back searching for them. I can't believe anyone would want to do that. I'll start with the State. Let me know when you're ready for the Defence. It's ready to go but I thought it might be best to deal with one at a time. It will quickly become apparent that Desai hasn't criticised or disagreed with anything here other than the first tweet, and that's really just an observation. Galloway was excellent.

THE STATE’S ARGUMENT – ADV. GALLOWAY

G: Condition of the house after. The undisputed evidence is that the house looked as it generally would. Not consistent with house robbery or murder.
Desai: That is not your strongest point. One cannot conclude what the house would look like. I’m just saying it isn’t your strongest point .

G: The injuries were violent and the attacker clearly had the intent to kill. Attacker was drawn to the attack in the boys' room.
Desai: What do you make of the family members all having defensive wounds but not the father?
G: The evidence was that it was a surprise attack as it was on the back of his head.

Desai: Could the father have being trying to defend a family member rather than himself from the attacker?
G: He could have been protecting Rudi.

Desai: Nobody called for help?
G: Our inference is that the victims knew their attacker. There was no outside force that required outside help.

Desai: Of the victims, what do you make of the fact that the mother, Marli and Rudi had defence injuries?
G: Martin was a surprise attack. Rudi was asleep and at the last minute defended himself.

G: The fact that deceased were dressed in sleepwear and didn't call for help indicates that they were comfortable with the attacker.
Desai: Not only did the accused not call for help, but neither did the victims.

[Prime Suspect: When Galloway answered a question that none of victims hid in one of the many rooms, I could hear J Desai whisper, 'that's a good point.']

Desai: That means Martin must have seen the attacker?
G: With respect, perhaps, but not necessarily.

Desai: Is there any other motive? I accept no lead on bad business etc but is there an alternative motive?
G: No factual basis for a business dispute. Martin was an honest businessman. No evidence on record of anyone having a grudge against the family. Improbable that someone executing a hit on the family to come to scene without any weapons and use weapons of opportunity.

Desai: Assume it's a hired assassin, would they come with a gun? He asks why would a hitman take out an entire family?
G: There is no evidence of anyone having a motive, but the scene doesn’t fit that anyway - come with a pre-determined intent to execute but leave Henri.
Desai: There is no motive against the family.
G agrees. Asks why they would also not be killed in their beds.

G: Why would there be time for the family to gather in the boys room, and according to the accused, there was more than one perpetrator, but why did one only act?

Desai: When they entered the house, the house must have been dark?
G: Correct. Only the study lamp was on so they must have known the layout of the house.

Desai: Assuming that the court finds that the wounds were self- inflicted, what inference is there?
G: If court finds that some wounds were self inflicted, the totality of the accused version cannot be accepted.

Desai: The question that emerges is why did the accused inflict these wounds?
G: To show that somebody attacked the accused family.

Desai: It’s also possible that the police could have transferred it?
G: The evidence was that they put protective gear on. There were no transfer patterns in the shower. Henri said he often shaved in the shower. That would imply that both the accused and Rudi showered and shaved in the shower and cut themselves and blood landed together and wasn’t cleaned.

Desai: The police statement is substantially the same as the version he gave in court.
G: Agrees, and we are unclear in the manner in which the police were attacked about taking that statement.
G: Our view is that there are NB inconsistencies.

Desai: Evidence of the Star Wars movie is quite important, as if it is not accepted, then there was a fight.
G:
1. The timeline of what family did - omission that the accused, Martin and Rudi watched a movie. This was done to explain the arguing heard by the neighbour.
2. Opening the bathroom door- this was done to explain the blood on Henri's t-shirt.
3. Martin's attack - changed to explain why Martin was attacked from behind.

Desai: One would expect that if your brother is attacked, if he heard gurgling sounds, you would check on him to see if he is alive.

Desai: Churchill had a stutter which was the reason for him speaking softly and slowly.
G: It’s not just the speaking slowly but remaining calm and unemotional.

Desai raises a point on Winston Churchill smoking a cigarette and speaking slowly as he stuttered, when he did speeches.
G: Yes, but not to remain calm.

G: Defence witnesses were not objective as witnesses should be. They were merely trying to test the state’s case.
Desai says Olckers gave all the criticism she could but didn't test any of the blood. Can an expert do that? Is that tenable? He says the defence DNA forensic expert Dr Olckers, didn't do the most fundamental thing - test the DNA samples.

Desai: It's common sense that when someone witnesses your family being attacked you will wet your pants. There was evidence in a court case before where a witness wet his pants because he was tortured. Similar in this case to trauma experienced.

Desai: I have my reservations not to whether the evidence is relevant but whether it is practical
G: Dr Olckers evidence is of no value because she did not do her own tests, so it renders her testimony practically invalid.

Desai: Are there any hints in his case that there was contamination of the evidence?
G: There Is no indication of contamination.

Desai: What is the obstruction of justice? Was there any?
G: Defeating results in a guilty party going free or an innocent person convicted. Obstructing, when a person gives false information in attempt to mislead the investigation.

Great work, JJ! That is invaluable - thank you!

I may as well add the Defence's argument now.

THE DEFENCE’S ARGUMENT – ADV BOTHA

Desai: He never said at any stage that he went to help his sister. How does one reconcile that? Instinctively one would.
B: I will definitely address that in my heads.

Desai: Why was he wearing socks in summer?
B: Why would u deem that an important aspect?

B: Evidence about the security of the estate - its NB for the state. They say it is so secure, so impenetrable, not possible that there was an intruder. If those were the facts, then yes.
Desai: That’s not the point. The state’s point is that in order to get in and out and do what they did, it is so improbable. The argument is not that its impenetrable but very improbable, Ocean Elevens expertise would be required.

Desai: I did not understand that the case was this estate is Fort Knox, more that you can enter and some planning would be required.
B: But that wasn’t the evidence. In fact there were 2 breaches that night.

Botha refers to cameras only covering 35% of the fence. The remainder did not have coverage.
Desai: Assuming only 35% had cameras, then they must have known where the cameras are where the weaknesses are etc. That means the intruder came in through an area that wasn't covered by camera.

Desai: There is an affidavit that says who came in and out.
B: Only 3 vehicles.
Desai: Are you postulating that the access gate is a reasonable possibility of entry for the intruder into the estate that night?
B: Yes of course, and it is the state’s onus of proof, not the accused. I will present actual evidence that there was an intrusion into the estate that night.

Desai: Wyngaard testified that he checked the fence.
B: No. She said that she sent someone to check and nobody did. Cleared up and agreed he didn’t check the fence, he checked the video footage.

B: Wyngaard took 2 patrols. The second started at about 1 in the morning, each taking 1h30min to complete. There were no patrols at 01h40 for a few hours.
Desai: But then the intruder must have known when they patrolled.

Desai: How did he exit?
B: I don’t know, and I don’t bear the onus.

Desai: Postulating a tunnel under the fence, is that not unreasonable?
B: With respect, it is reasonably possible. Evidence before your lordship that it actually happened.

Desai: This was a very bloody scene, but beyond the stairs there was little blood. How do you explain this? The accused walked downstairs to the phone. There is no blood beyond that.
B: The two blood drops - one by the pantry door and one outside corroborate the possibility of an intruder.

B: Evidence of Op't Hoff neighbour - heard arguing for 2 hours between 10 till 12. The movie was Star Wars that my client says they were watching, was an action packed movie. The accused only said, ‘Well, if you heard something then it can only have been that movie’.
Desai: Whether Star Trek or Star Wars, it's different to that of noises coming from a fight.
Assuming that the neighbour is not mistaken, then the rest of the evidence falls into place. For the neighbour to come here, either she is mistaken or lying. Why do you run away from the inference of an objective witness who says she heard arguing for two hours? She was adamant what she heard, so then the only suggestion is that she was dishonest. Why would a total innocent bystander come and testify bias on a matter that does not concern her?

Desai: Why did your witness not simply take the DNA and test it?
B: Are you saying that in a criminal matter the defence must prove the state’s case?
Desai: I accept there was not compliance in certain aspects with procedure, but in every case Olckers comes on the scene and demands so many things, disrupts on procedure. As an expert she is required to enlighten the court. Why not do a DNA test.
B: My submissions are based on current case law.

B: If we do not have blood evidence, then the state’s case is gone.
Desai: There is a lot more than that in evidence.

Desai: Ok, they don't have accreditation. Now what must be done?
B: Good question, what must be done. Why haven't they managed to get accreditation for 16 years.
Desai: Dr Olckers got the raw data and did not disagree with Otto iro (in respect of) the mixture result.

Desai: How do you explain the lack of blood on his upper body?
B: I would have to speculate.

Desai also asks what about the lack of blood spatter on the wall behind Henri.
B: My client reminded me that it could have flaked off as it’s dry and he was far away, but also, if he was attacking Rudi, then surely he would have blood on his upper body. There was blood on the wall near his client.

Desai: Must the court accept DNA evidence to support the accused version?
B: This is my argument if the court does accept the DNA evidence.

B: With respect, the defence submit that the chances that the axe on the scene, exhibit 1, is the axe which was used to attack Marli are nil.
Desai says that there are other reasons for that, but on the Lockhard principle if there was an intruder then why do we not see the intruder’s DNA?
B: We will deal with that later, but Otto (the expert he has just told the court is biased, not proficient and trying to mislead the court) told the court that if the intruder’s face and hands were covered then they may leave without a trace.
Desai: the second axe issue is illogical.
B: I invite the state, in reply, to argue based on what evidence could there be any other inference made other than the one that Marli was attacked with a different axe. My version is that her DNA is absent despite her having been hit 8 times. It is absent on my client who was supposed to be the attacker.
Desai: I've been a Defence counsel for years. To base this on one witness who mistook the colour does not help your case. If you go to a braai, would you study the axe of your host unless you plan to murder them? You wouldn't remember such detail.

B: Don’t base your assumptions on what is not there, but if there is no blood stains, the person still could be the attacker. Shortly after the blood on the axe, he is already bleeding. We saw him later with blood still on him so he could not have washed himself.
Desai: But your client was there for 2hr40 min after the attacks. The second axe is such an improbable story.
B asks why he would say that given the absence of Marlis DNA on the axe.
Desai: It’s highly improbable that these two entered the premises carrying axes and then left with one of the axes. Why would someone enter a premises carrying an axe?

B: Just because we did not call Perumal, Galloway had conceded and confirmed the report so why would I call him? I never asked Perumal about self-inflicted wounds.
Desai: That is the second time that you are telling me that you have limited the ambit of your expert’s mandate. That could have helped your case tremendously. You have an expert pathologist who knows about injuries and you do not use him. Your answer is flabbergasting because you are saying that you did not ask him to give evidence on the self-inflicted wounds.
B: We called him on one aspect.
Desai: But he was hanging around the court here and you never discussed this with him.

Desai: This is the third time you are using finances.
B: It’s not a secret.
Desai: But you are using it as a defence. You had him brought here for 2 days from Durban and didn't consult with him on that aspect.

Desai: Security inspected the perimeter fence and found no breach or anything wrong. Listen to the tape. It is clear evidence that he inspected the entire fence the next day. Would this person be hell bent in finding a certain family member or just murdering the whole family?
B: I don't know but the onus is not on the Defence to prove this.
Desai: Let’s speculate. Either a killer that just wants to kill, or he hates the family, or carrying out a vendetta, or fortuitously there and looking for another house?
B: Ok, let’s look at it. People come on the estate. They don’t know about the estate. They find a house that’s easy to enter - van Breda house. The windows are open. You can see it from the street. Easy access. They go in. The drawers and cupboard was open, so they look through the drawers. One goes upstairs. He comes across the first bedroom, looks in and he sees Rudi in his bed. Maybe Rudi wakes up. He starts attacking him.

Desai: in this situation here, nobody makes a noise, or shouts or makes a scene?
B: Rudi would not shout for help because he was asleep. My client shouted for help. His mother made some noise - my client conceded that.

Desai: Why didn't the second attacker come to the help of the first one? They came to "soek n gelukkie" [translation – look for a lucky one] but left without it, killing everyone. It's unprecedented. So the unknown assailant was on a killing mission to kill everybody?
B: We don't know. On my client’s version he was on a mission to attack in the beginning.

Desai: Let’s speculate for a second. Here is a deranged killer on a mission or he dislikes the whole van Breda family. Tell me what are the probabilities? Why wouldn’t even the first attacker call for help from the second attacker? Is it probable assailant comes there, everyone is attacked, nobody calls for help? Your version postulates them searching the drawers but they don’t take anything from the house.
B: But they needed to get out?

B: It’s not our version there was no cry for help. He cried for help. He can't recall if mother cried for help. Thinks that she likely did.
Desai: In a family of 4, the first person who was attacked would shout, but this didn't happen.
B: He never said that. My client cried for help. That’s exactly what he did, but its not for the defence to prove that version. It is for the state to prove that version is not reasonably possibly true.
Desai: But if the version is not reasonably possibly true then that causes problems.

B: Butler did not inform him of his suspicions as a result of his bias. When monitoring him, he then saw a slight jerk of the thumb, and says its a myclonic seizure.
Desai: Myoclonic is a very fancy term. All we saw on the video is a slight twitch. That's a lot of weight attached to a slight twitch of the finger.

Botha then tells a story of an evening HvB drank a lot and didn’t sleep much and had a seizure.
Desai: What is the point?
B: If he had a seizure during that time, that explains the 2hr40 min my client cannot remember.
Desai: Mr Botha cut to the chase. What does he say about your client, assuming Butler is right?
B: It explains the time lapse of 2h40mins. Based on my client’s version and the blood smear on the steps, he was lying on he stairs during that period of time in a tonic clonic state.
Desai: He can only postulate it as a medical possibility and not a fact.

Botha: Butler listened to the emergency phone call, and his dull appearance is consistent with a post ictal state.
Desai: His evidence is that he spoke slowly so as to not stutter. So he did not say that he was in this post ictal state. His evidence is that he elected to speak slowly.
B: My client didn't know this.
Desai: But your client was coherent and able to reason. How do you explain his failure to react? He was thinking logically. Speaking on the phone he makes rational decisions.

Desai: The problem is that the Dr testified after the accused so the accused could not be cross- examined.
B: The state could have asked to recall him? They did not.

Desai: It's almost as if they were killed in a frenzy, in anger. What concerns me is the highly personalized nature of the attack. The person did so with definite intent.
B: Crimes in SA display gratuitous violence. Just because it was violent, it does not mean that it was my client. Andre van Breda, Andre Du Toit said there were no problems in the family.

Desai: In our law motive is not required.
B: But motive is important here. Everyone asking why would someone attack this family.

B: It is the state’s obligation to prove beyond reasonable doubt that his injuries were self- inflicted. It is not the defence's obligation to prove that they were.
Desai: What if the court finds they were self-inflicted? All we are saying is that only the cuts could be, and it would only be part of all the other circumstantial evidence.
B: We submit that Dr Tiemensma is not a neurologist and she was not prepared to concede. She had an inherent informational bias. She was asked to look at these photos - are they self- inflicted.
Desai: Her evidence was supported by Dr Dempers and she did make concessions. How do you explain that this was text book self-inflicted?
B: One must have regard that these experts normally deal with fatal self-inflicted wounds. They are pathologists.

Desai: Why can we not consider the probability that there was a struggle with one of the victims? If your client was involved in a massacre of this scale, would you not expect some injuries to be inflicted on the perpetrator?
B: Are you suggesting an injury by another family member? You may be correct.

GALLOWAY’S REPLY

G: It was evident that Dr Perumal had consulted with counsel on the self-inflicted wounds as Dr Perumal had referred counsel to the text book which Tiemensma had the updated version of.
Desai: In all my years I have never heard of limiting an expert’s mandate, especially in incriminating evidence.

Isn't it amazing when you compare the State v the Defence. This gives me more hope that Desai sees it as clearly as I/we do.

Thanks again, JJ! Certainly confidence raised re Desai's judgement in favour of the prosecution. In the meantime & awaiting a guilty verdict..... will take a look at your other link. Thank you again.

Hope you are fully recovered, JJ.

Thank you JJ for this new case info. Definitely interested. Hope you are recovering well and it’s certainly good to see you back on WS.

Thanks JJ. You've been busy! I hope shortly (time-permitting) I can get to properly digest what you've pulled together from all the tweets and also get along to follow the new thread/case, but just wanted to acknowledge your fantastic contribution here and say I hope you are on the mend too.

Thanks JJ. You've been busy! I hope shortly (time-permitting) I can get to properly digest what you've pulled together from all the tweets and also get along to follow the new thread/case, but just wanted to acknowledge your fantastic contribution here and say I hope you are on the mend too.

Thanks Tortoise. I've been busy because I'm not allowed to do much at home yet, not even making the bed! I now have a legitimate reason, at least for a few more weeks, to spend so much time here LOL.

Thanks Tortoise. I've been busy because I'm not allowed to do much at home yet, not even making the bed! I now have a legitimate reason, at least for a few more weeks, to spend so much time here LOL.

Thank you, JJ. You're a 'STAR'.
You have worked so hard, hours and hours, providing us all, with great information, compiled together.

I hope this is what Desai is thinking

attachment.php

Attachments

• Defence argument.jpg
    Defence argument.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online