South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wonder why the crew was told to abandon ship? Their job is one of service, to help people, not leave them. And why did the captain leave? Saw where he was arrested as he should be for abandoning ship, IMO!

I am praying for miracles! This is the time of year for miracles.

I am sorry to say Isabelle that even if there is an air pocket they can't overcome hypothermia.
I read somewhere (sorry dont recall where) that the captain was in his room for a few minutes when this occured.Wonder what he was doing while the ship was making a turn?

I'm not sure exactly what S. Korea's laws are, but the below statement by their coast guard said the captain faces negligence and violating a law that governs the conduct of shipping. I read another article that said the captain should not abandon ship UNTIL all passengers are safe. I know sometimes it would be impossible to be sure ALL passengers are taken care of, but heck, this guy was one of the first off the ship and more than 1/2 the passengers never got off!

This is the second captain we've seen with hundreds or thousands of lives in their care, turn out to be cowards and causing unnecessary loss of life. I believe they said there was only 1 life boat used. Why?

It's heartbreaking to see the parents on the shore, wreathing in anguish. :(

JMHO
fran

RSBM and BBM Just my opinion, but I'm thinking with the captain and crew taking off in the first lifeboat the remaining passengers had no idea how to deploy any remaining lifeboats. They also were told to stay in their cabins, so they didn't even try.

It's eerie to watch the rescue videos with only a handful of people being rescued. There should have been hundreds more trying to leave the ship, but they were obediently doing what they were told to do, stay put.

What?!? :what:

The captain, Lee, still takes no responsibility per link above...

:furious:

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Once again he's thinking only about himself. He's probably talked to a lawyer and was told not to admit to anything.

The captain had been criticized after he was seen drying wet banknotes on his bed while being interviewed by journalists.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/south-korea-disaster-captain-crew-abandoning-passengers

From your link; sounds like they're going to find most trying to get out :( Praying they didn't suffer

An 18-year-old female pupil identified only as Shin texted her father to tell him not to worry. "I'm wearing a life vest and am with other girls. We're inside the ship, still in the hallway," she told him. Her father's response, urging her to get out, arrived too late.

"Dad, I can't," she said in her final message. "The ship is too tilted. The hallway is crowded with so many people."

school-1-522x293.jpg

Students left messages for missing classmates at Danwon High School

"Friends and family have been staying at the school awaiting news as they watch live coverage of the accident on a projector. The school itself is closed until April 23.

Fellow students have left messages for classmates on desks, blackboards and windows."

rtr3lnjw-1-522x293.jpg

Relatives and survivors are staying at a gym on Jindo island

http://news.sky.com/story/1244923/vice-principal-rescued-from-ferry-found-hanged

Mate steering doomed ferry navigating waters for first time, prosecutor says

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/04/19/transcript-shows-ferry-captain-delayed-evacuation/

Lots at this article. Thanks for link.

"Senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin told reporters that the 25-year-old mate was steering the ship as it passed through an area with lots of islands clustered close together and fast currents. The mate has six months of experience and hadn't steered before because another mate usually handles those duties."

"South Korean police officers have been standing guard in order to prevent suicides of relatives of the missing passengers. The relatives are trying to commit suicide out of desperation saying that they will swim to the ship wreck site and find their missing family members by themselves"

"I am sorry to the people of South Korea for causing a disturbance and I bow my head in apology to the families of the victims," Lee told reporters Saturday morning as he left the Mokpo Branch of Gwangju District Court to be jailed. But he defended his much-criticized decision to wait about 30 minutes before ordering an evacuation.

"At the time, the current was very strong, the temperature of the ocean water was cold, and I thought that if people left the ferry without (proper) judgment, if they were not wearing a life jacket, and even if they were, they would drift away and face many other difficulties," Lee said. "The rescue boats had not arrived yet, nor were there any civilian fishing ships or other boats nearby at that time."

I read somewhere that he also said he is the one who "pushed ahead with the trip", so he blamed himself. It wasn't his fault. jmo

I also thought that by him being one of the few rescued, he realized immediately that he should have stayed onboard to help his students. Somewhere I read it was thought the captain was having breakfast with him - no proof yet. That could be the reason both these men were able to get off as they were together and the captain told him to just follow me. JMO

10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers

MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Divers recovered 13 bodies from inside a ferry that sank off South Korea, pushing the confirmed death toll to 46, officials said Sunday. The discovery came after rescuers finally gained access to the inside of the ship following three days of failure and frustration caused by strong currents and bad visibility due to inclement weather.

more at link ........ http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/25288178/10-more-bodies-found-inside-south-korean-ferry

I also thought that by him being one of the few rescued, he realized immediately that he should have stayed onboard to help his students. Somewhere I read it was thought the captain was having breakfast with him - no proof yet. That could be the reason both these men were able to get off as they were together and the captain told him to just follow me. JMO

I've heard on CNN and read reports that the captain was mysteriously "tending to something." I did a search for captain and breakfast and couldn't find anything to confirm that he was having breakfast with anyone, but of course it's possible.

The captain says he ordered passengers to stay in their cabins until rescue boats arrived, adding that he left control of the boat to his third mate while he "tended to something" in his room.

http://www.wafb.com/story/25286668/south-korea-sunken-ferry-captain-charged

‘I thought the water would be too cold for the children’: Arrested captain of South Korean ferry defends decision to delay evacuation as divers pull out more bodies

Police arrested Captain Lee Joon-Seok and two of his crew early this morning and they were arraigned in court

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tricken-vessel-spot-bodies.html#ixzz2zLXEKZXW

BBM Holy mother of.....

So if the water was too cold for the children, why didn't you and the crew instruct them in how to deploy the lifeboats, so they didn't have to go in the water? Like you did?

So you thought they'd have a better chance of survival staying in their cabins as the ship turned upside down, Captain?

Sorry y'all, I'm just venting. This makes me so angry!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AgentA
Back