GUILTY Spain - Denise Thiem, 40, U.S. traveler, Astorga, 4 April 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Catedral de Santiago ‏@CatedralStgo

Miércoles 16 sept, 19:30h, Misa por el eterno descanso de la peregrina Denise Thiem en la @CatedralStgo http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/es/node/608

Wednesday sept 16, 19.30 hrs, Mass for the eternal rest of the pilgrim Denise Thiem in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

The Council of Canons of the Cathedral of Santiago announces that the Mass of the Pilgrim of 19: 30h next Wednesday September 16 will be dedicated to the repose of the pilgrim Denise Thiem. At the same time they wish to transfer their condolences and closeness to the family and relatives of the deceased as well as the entire community of American pilgrims.

BBM

POLICE INVESTIGATES OTHER DISTURBING CASES OF FEMALE PILGRIMS ON THE CAMINO TO SANTIAGO

El Pais
http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2015/09/12/actualidad/1442048861_529898.html

Police have declared solved the case of the murder on the Camino de Santiago: The American pilgrim Denise Pikka Thiem, 41, died at the hands of Miguel Angel Muñoz Blas, 39, on whose piece of land remains of the woman missing since April were found in an advanced state of decomposition (The confirmation on basis of DNA will be known this weekend.) But now investigators are still focusing on the property located between the towns of Santa Catalina Leon Somoza and San Martin de Agostedo (at a stone's throw from Castrillo de los Polvazares) for clues that may help clarify "other disturbing cases" of pilgrims precisely on that stretch of road. Especially alleged attacks on female pilgrims of various nationalities.

Friday police found buried in the grounds of the main suspect in the disappearance the body of - as it is believed to almost a certainty - the American pilgrim Denise Pikka Thiem. The condition of the body was in an advanced state of decomposition - buried since April and with soaring temperatures - which did not allow an identification with the naked eye or even determine the gender. But other evidence suggests that it is her.

On the farm a saw was found on which, according to the primary hypothesis, biological remains are present. There is also evidence that the arrested man changed $ 1,200 euros four days after the disappearance of Denise Pikka Thiem. Some police sources suggest that the man now in custody had a lot of money hidden on the farm. And finally, the very flight of Blas Muñoz, who when arrested offered no resistance and even showed resignation after he was captured.

The investigators, however, are seeking clues to solve other unclear issues that have been occurring in that stretch of the Camino, in this region of red earth. For example, the issue of several female pilgrims who, precisely between May and June of this year, reported they had been harassed. In fact, the investigators try to clarify whether the man now arrested is, as suspected, "the so-called Miguel" who attacked two pilgrims, one Dutch and one American. Sources of the Guardia Civíl explained at the time: "The man was driving, got out to talk to them and came to tell them his alleged name, then grabbed one and tried to get her into the car. They fought him off as hard they could, with the poles they use for walking. "

Blas Muñoz was suspect number 1 on the list of the police and had been investigated at the start of the case. On Friday afternoon he was arrested by officers in a bar in Grandas de Salime (Asturias), 162 kilometers from the village of Castrillo de los Polvazares, Astorga (León), where he lived in a remote prefabricated house village and from which he fled without a trace last week.

The Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz, will travel Saturday to the town of Astorga in Leon to meet with police officials and monitor the investigation of the incident that killed the American pilgrim. After the meeting, the minister will meet with the media to report on the situation and the details of the discovery of the remains of the woman.

BBM

Earlier it was said that the man now arrested does not have a driver's licence and therefore rides a bike. Some sources even mention that he has three bikes, one of them a transport bike with a box if I remember well. (I don't post everything that I find or read, obviously.)
The man named 'Miguel' was driving a car. So did he have access to a car after all and how could that be?

INVESTIGATION IS STILL OPEN AND ALL CLUES POINT TO THE REMAINS BEING THOSE OF DENISE

LeonNoticias
http://www.leonoticias.com/frontend...-Que-A-Falta-Del-Cotejo-Del-A-vn184028-vst469

The minister of Interior Jorge Fernandez Diaz confirmed that in the absence of autopsy results and comparison of DNA samples with relatives, "all indications" suggest that the body found in the grounds of arrested man corresponds to the nortamerican pilgrim Denise Pikka Thiem.

A statement that the Head of the Ministry of Interior has made from the police station of Astorga where he met with the principal investigators of the case, and afterwards informed the media about the status of the investigation.

Diaz Fernandez has avoided making statements about the motive for the murder and the cause of death "for the success of the investigations" and has said that it is a "complex and difficult" investigation in which more than "200 people over 20 nationalities " were contacted who had been in contact with Denise before her disappearance.

During his press conference the Interior Minister congratulated the security forces who participated in the case and highlighted the international cooperation which always has been "intense" since last April 20 when the brother of the victim reported Denise missing since 5 April.

On Monday the DNA samples from the family of the American pilgrim will arrive in Spain for comparison with human remains found in the estate of the detainee "in an advanced state of decomposition," to officially confirm that they belong to Denise Thiem.

Finally Interior Minister confirmed that the main suspect who has a criminal record, "still it has not been questioned by police" and will be brought before a court [for further detention] on Monday.

BBM

FAMILY MEMBERS OF DENISE ARE ON THEIR WAY TO SPAIN

LeonNoticias
http://leonoticias.com/frontend/leonoticias/La-Familia-De-Denise-Thiem-Viaja-A-Leon-vn184036-vst469

It will be on Monday when DNA samples from the family of Denise Thiem arrive Spain to be compared with the body located Friday by the National Police. Yet the numerous indications that suggest that it is the body of the American pilgrim, have been sufficient for the family of the victim to decide to travel to Spain.

While the alleged corpse of Denise Thiem is in the Forensic Anatomical in Ponferrada, where the autposy is being performed, family members are on the way to León, as confirmed by Antena 3 Noticias.

BBM

THE LOST CAMINO OF DENISE

El Norte de Castilla
http://www.elnortedecastilla.es/leon/201509/12/camino-perdido-denise-20150912112354.html

Every 48 hours Denise narrated to her nearest and dearest her experiences on the Camino, people she met, the singularities of the locations that she passed through, the experiences. But in Astorga, one of the most emblematic points of this route there was silence. A silence so suspicious that one of her friends, to whom she was writing now and then, decided to flood the maragata capital with emails in search of clues.

That was the trigger because bottom-up began a search movement that was joined by the police with the 'missing' report in hand. "Between the disappearance and the report perhaps too long a time passed and that's one of the key issues in this case," according to the investigation.

That period of time, the long week between her absence and the report is the window of advantage that the main accused in this case had to remove the body of the pilgrim, whom he met somewhere between the towns of Castrillo de los Polvazares and Santa Catalina.

Nothing is known so far of what may have happened. Only that the body of the woman has appeared in the town of San Martin de Agostedo, at a distance of three kilometers from the route of the Camino de Santiago, on the northern slope of the LE-142, too far away for the search activities of the police that have been undertaken for five months to reach that spot.

Among branches on a farm of the principal accused in this case and according to some sources dismembered, Denise's body was found with the help of her alleged killer. On Saturday he will be brought to justice and shall be ordered to remain in prison.

BBM

http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2015/09/12/55f40cdeca4741956d8b4577.html

One of the pilgrims who believed to have been the victim of the author of Denise death is Josie. This is what she wrote to the Thiem family, if it served for help: "On the road between Astorga and El Ganso-just the stage the deceased wanted to walk before disappearing, as she told a friend via email -.. I find in my guide an alternative route that diverted me to Castrillo of Polvazares. I was alone and there was a 'false' arrow on the road that made me go the wrong way. In that stretch, a man wearing a balaclava tried to attack me with something he had in his hand, but I managed to escape. "

One of the pilgrims who believed to have been the victim of the author of Denise death is Josie. This is what she wrote to the Thiem family, if it served for help: "On the road between Astorga and El Ganso-just the stage the deceased wanted to walk before disappearing, as she told a friend via email -.. I find in my guide an alternative route that diverted me to Castrillo of Polvazares. I was alone and there was a 'false' arrow on the road that made me go the wrong way. In that stretch, a man wearing a balaclava tried to attack me with something he had in his hand, but I managed to escape. "

Beh, they cheat!
The reporter "borrowed" that message from the Camino Forum and made it look like they have contact either with Josie or the Thiem family. Probably NOT!

This is what Josie writes on April 27 2015 about her Camino in 2014:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-missing-please-help.32874/page-2#post-297077

Hello. My name is Josie and I'm from Germany.
In September 2014 I walked the Camino and a friend from Canada told me about your search because I might help you. On the road between Astorga and El Ganso my guide has an alternative route appears to me, that runs over Castrillo de los Polvozares. This route I went alone and ran off with a "fake" arrow from the path. On the wrong path, a masked man attacked me with a stun gun. However, I was able to free myself and run away.

After the incident, I called the police in the next town. I gave up a complaint with the police in Astorga and was with the police on the spot where the attack happened. I want to make thee no fear and hope you'll find your sister soon, but perhaps the report could help you in your search. If you have any further questions, I offer my help. best wishes

THE BACKGROUND OF THE ARRESTED MAN MADE HIM A SUSPECT FROM THE BEGINNING

España.servidornoticias
http://espana.servidornoticias.com/...guir-la-investigacion-sobre-la-peregrina.html

The detainee "had some [criminal] background and pending his statement to the police I must not be more explicit," the Minister of Interior explained.

"We were following very intensely this investigation from Madrid and in July I affirmed in Leon that it was not only not closed, but indeed very active, and now I can say that this line of investigation to which I referred was the one that led to this arrest," he explained.

According to the minister, this suspect was being followed by police and "if he was stopped yesterday in Asturias that was because the operations were widely spread and the collaboration was working."

Finally, he announced that next Monday DNA samples from relatives of the pilgrim will arrive in Spain for the final identification of the body.

Sources from the investigation consulted by Efe have confirmed that the fact that the detainee changed an amount slightly exceeding one thousand dollars in a bank in the area put the investigators on his tracks as it was publicly known that he lacked a stable income and that he used to resort to municipal social services in order to survive.

Since then, the suspect was under surveillance, waiting for the moment that he would take a wrong step that could enable the discovery of the remains.

The man lived in a prefabricated wooden house quite far away on the farm that he owns where he allegedly hid the body. He hardly kept contacts with his neighbors, who consider him an unsociable man and hard to get along.

In addition, the police had knowledge that there he had harassed women hiking the Camino de Santiago as it passes through the area.

The minister explained that the FBI "has been informed at all times of the investigation that has been carried out brilliantly by the National Police" to solve the case.

BBM

Thanks for the link, hmmm interesting- had not considered the possibility of a false arrow ( whether accurate or not ) no matter the source, it is an idea that could/should? be considered in other cases of missing persons. imo.

The flight to Spain will no doubt be the longest and hardest for the family, my goodness they tried so hard for Denise - much respect and sympathy for Denise's loved ones.imo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34234135

"Earlier this week, Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy wrote to her parents in Phoenix, Arizona, saying he "understands the pain of a family that does not know where their daughter is".

_85511260_85511259.jpg

DNA OF DENISE FOUND ON TOOLS OF SUSPECT

El Pais
http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2015/09/12/actualidad/1442048861_529898.html

Police have declared solved the case of murder on the Camino de Santiago: the American pilgrim Denise Pikka Thiem, 41, died at the hands of Miguel Angel Muñoz Blas, 39, on whose plot remains of the woman missing since April were found in an advanced state of decomposition.

Investigators also have found DNA of the pilgrim on tools owned by suspect in the disappearance and death of the traveler.

Investigators continue to focus on the property located between the Leonese villages of Santa Catalina Somoza and San Martin de Agostedo (at a stone's throw from Castrillo de los Polvazares) for clues that may help clarify "other disturbing cases" of pilgrims precisely on that stretch of the Camino. Above all alleged attacks on pilgrims of various nationalities.

BBM

Technically speaking, they are still waiting for DNA from her family for the final identification.
What they have found now is DNA on the tools that is the same as the DNA of the remains.

:rose:

I wonder about something the Minister of Interior has said today.

The man now arrested was a suspect from the beginning. He was under close surveillance.

Yet at the same time, or later in June and July, at the same stretch, other cases of harassment of pilgrims took place.
The Police are now trying to solve these.

If this was not done by the same man, the one now arrested, then who was it?
And how come the police did not happen to notice anything while they were on the road in plain clothes?

And if indeed it was him, how did he manage to do that if he was under surveillance?

I am reading messages of locals who are not happy at all that it took the Government 5 months to solve the case and all the time they let a known murderer on the loose among them.
And they gave the family false hope.

If he was a suspect from the beginning, I wonder what took so long before they arrested him? The fact that he fled...? What was the reason that they waited 5 months? It does not add up at all.

:notgood:

There are still many contradictory reports about since when he was a suspect, when he left the area, and his interaction with pilgrims. I do not think he was being followed, I think he was simply listed and police were controlling his movements of money, cards, etc.

There is also considerable confusion about whether the money ($ 1,000) belonged Denise or not. According to some, detectives could identify the serial numbers already in April, but it would seem very strange to me.

http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2015/09/13/55f4b7e6ca4741a16d8b4585.html

"He is a man who performed thefts by neglect, not holdup, but stole the backpacks of pilgrims and also tried to flirt with many women who plied the landscape alone. They were accompanied by him a stretch of the way, he was their guide and invited them to stay at his home, where he promised that they would rest better ", have said members of the investigation.

There are still many contradictory reports about since when he was a suspect, when he left the area, and his interaction with pilgrims. I do not think he was being followed, I think he was simply listed and police were controlling his movements of money, cards, etc.

There is also considerable confusion about whether the money ($ 1,000) belonged Denise or not. According to some, detectives could identify the serial numbers already in April, but it would seem very strange to me.

http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2015/09/13/55f4b7e6ca4741a16d8b4585.html

"He is a man who performed thefts by neglect, not holdup, but stole the backpacks of pilgrims and also tried to flirt with many women who plied the landscape alone. They were accompanied by him a stretch of the way, he was their guide and invited them to stay at his home, where he promised that they would rest better ", have said members of the investigation.

FLIRT ?? Like the person with the balaclava and the stun gun that Josie allegedly met? Some huge gap in the perception of either IMHO.

Here are two other gems of cognitive dissonance (in the same report). I suppose this is the definition of SAFE as used by some who insist that THE CAMINO IS SAFE, SAFE, SAFE:

After having questioned about "200 people from 20 different nationalities", the minister said, police narrowed the list of suspects to about 30, mainly composed of men who were engaged in robbing the female pilgrims in various parts of the Camino de Santiago. On that list figured Miguel Angel M. B. At first he was not the target because, according to sources of the case, "although he was robbing and harassing the female pilgrims, he was not aggressive and did not fit the profile of a potential murderer."

Robbing women, harassing women apparently is NOT aggression in the eyes of the Spanish Police. I do hope this attitude is not too common among officials of the State.

:stormingmad:

Miguel Angel M. B.:

"It was me. I killed her. I did not want to kill her, but I hit her... and then I hit her again. I will take you to where she is."

A CLERK IN A BANK OF ASTORGA HAD HER SUSPICIONS AND PUT THE POLICE ON THE RIGHT TRACK

Diario de León
http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias...echoso-posibilito-identificacion_1007879.html

The cashier was surprised that Miguel Ángel appeared with $ 1,000 in hand and that he wanted to exchange these for euros. It was a spring morning in the branch office of Cajamar that is located on the Plaza de Santocildes of Astorga. Not many days had passed after the disappearance of Denise, but the widespread concern about her absence had not yet been fully unleashed.

Between the references that were available about the suspect, known for some minor incidents in the region and the way he presented himself at the bank, somewhat lost in thought, the assistant decided to take precautions. She asked him to wait a few seconds and under the pretext of complying with the law, made photocopies of the banknotes. She gave him just under 900 euros as change and watched him leave. She kept the papers and presented herself at the police station of the National Police of Astorga to submit the matter to the attention of the agents.

That was how already in April, after the necessary checks, the investigation had the certainty that the suspect in the death of Denise Pikka Thiem, MAMB .. had access to the money that the pilgrim carried on her at the time of her disappearance. Enough to arrest him? The CNP decided to let the man do the talking and set out to follow his steps. A laborious bureaucratic investigation had confirmed that the serial numbers of the bills matched those that Denise had withdrawn at her departure in North America.

But the police did not want to risk making an arrest in vain, given that this intervention would have no legal support. Even with the pressure of time, the tracings were methodical. There was nothing unusual in his unusual life. No new track. He did not make mistakes that would have allowed to close the circle.

No sooner the investigation had been scaled up than the alleged perpetrator took off. He took a bus at the station of Astorga earlier this week and got off in Asturias. The reason for his predilection for hostels in Camino de Santiago has not yet been clarified. He knows them with finesse, knows their surroundings and has references of many of them. Like any other pilgrim, he appeared in Grandas de Salime. And there, in the environment of the region of Los Oscos, almost on the border with the province of Lugo, he was arrested. He miscalculated his movements and took money from an ATM with hiscredit card. Immediately the alarms went off and the National Police of Luarca and Oviedo arrested him.

With the point of a gun in his neck and with a baton to his throat but without resistance, the alleged perpetrator of the pilgrim assumed that the flight was over. He was sitting on a terrace of a cafe. He was drinking coffee in the company of other people, mostly pilgrims. The emboldened character that defined him when he roamed through Valdemanzanas shifted into the background. He assumed that there was nothing he could do and within hours confessed to the crime and offered to take the officers to the area where the body was found.

BBM

Pilgrims on the Camino Primitivo may have spent the night in the bed next to the murderer of Denise Thiem. Or so it seems. One wonders how many people he robbed while posing as a pilgrim.

Already in April the Police knew with certainty about this suspect and left the family & friends in total limbo.....

So glad they found her though was still holding out hope that she was alive. Well done Spanish LE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems so speedy that they'd have removed her remains after barely an hour! In the Susan McLean case, which was quite apparently suicide, they left the body in place for 25 hours while documenting everything at the location in case there may have been foul play.

MIGUEL ÁNGEL MUÑOZ BLAS RETRACTS HIS WORDS AND NOW DENIES BEING THE MURDERER OF DENISE PIKKA THIEM

LeonNoticias
http://www.leonoticias.com/frontend...-Matado-A-Denise-Y-Senala-Que-vn184148-vst469

Miguel Ángel Muñoz Blas retracts his words and now denies being the murderer of Denise Pikka Thiem.

Just hours after confessing that he beat to death the pilgrim, the alleged perpetrator ensures that he only happened to find the woman's body.

A practice that is repeatedly used in similar cases as the detainee, according to police sources, admits the facts initially when subjected to significant levels of pressure and the feeling of being cornered by agents. After being arrested, Miguel Angel broke down and confessed that he had not wanted to kill Denise but ended her life after several blows, and later lead the agents to where the body was found.

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back