Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Five other people remain missing in the same area....

Esther Dingley is the last name on the list of missing hikers in the Pyrenees and the Sierra de Guara. The trail of this 37 year old British woman vanished on the 22nd of November in Benasque and less than a month later (on the 19th of December), on the other side of the mountain range the same thing happened to the Aragonese lawyer Andrés Funes, 61 years of age and resident of Huesca. Since then there has been no news of either of them, and the search operations had to be interrupted by the arrival of winter and heavy snowfall.

The cases of Esther and Andrés are not exceptional. In total, five hikers remain missing in the province of Huesca (Funes disappeared in the French valley of Aspe and it is the Gendarmerie that is handling the case), some of them since 2006. The police archives hold the files of German Reinhard Kulosa, Belgian François Dasnois, Danish Michel Nielsen and Spanish Ferrán Camps, who have never been heard of again, and now those of Dingley. The profile is that of a foreign hiker who was going alone, hence the difficulty in tracking them.

Their names appear in European police databases, from where they will not be released until they are found, "even if many years go by", the Guardia Civíl says. Those who have recently disappeared will be searched again in the spring, after the snow has melted, from where their trail has been lost, but other cases will not be pursued unless new clues are found. "No hypothesis is ever ruled out, but if someone has gone into the mountains alone and disappeared, as long as there is no other information, an accident is assumed," according to the Guardia Civíl.

The search for Dingley ceased with the snowfalls of early December and that of Funes is also suspended, according to his family on Saturday, for the same reasons.

The oldest file, from 2006, is that of the German national Kulosa, a 44-year-old mountaineer. His last trace places him at the Marboré Lake (Ordesa and Monte Perdido National Park), from where he made a phone call reporting a strong storm.

The disappearance of Françoise Dasnois, 48 years of age, in 2009, was widely publicized. Searches took weeks with ample deployments. She was hiking with her husband and son, turned around to go back to the village of Colungo alone, where they were staying, because she was tired, but did not arrive.

Another foreigner, the Dane Michel Nielsen, 65, was staying in a hotel in Benasque in 2010. He went on an excursion and left his belongings and his plane ticket there.

The only Spaniard is Ferrán Camps, 23, who camped in the Plan ibón and whose family reported him missing, also in 2010.

It can take months, years and even decades, but experience says that in the end the entrails of the mountain always end up returning the bodies. The body of Catherine Veron, a French university student, was found 18 years after she fell into a crevasse on the Aneto glacier. Another glacier, the Tempestades, kept the remains of 29-year-old mountaineer Joaquín López Valls for 47 years, between 1954 and 2001. He was trying to open a path on the Margalida peak when a whole block of rock gave way and dragged him to a rimaya (a gap between the rock and the ice). This is the longest known disappearance, which ended when some hikers found some remains (bones, a glove and a bag).

After three years, the same circumstances made it possible to find José Joaquín Ayete, a 14-year-old man from Zaragoza with physiological and communication problems, thanks to some clothes and some bones. He was 8 kilometres found from where he got lost.

When the ice melted, José María García Fernández, a 36 year old hiker from Zaragoza, was found dead, lost in the Bujaruelo valley in 2016 and discovered by a shepherd five months and 11 days later in an area outside the main tracking perimeter, far from the path.

Some disappearances also have a happy ending, such as that of the Frenchwoman Teresa Bordais, against all odds, as she survived after 11 days drinking water from a ravine and eating leaves and herbs. Time makes all the difference. It was June, winter did not impose its rules.

Cinco montañeros permanecen en la lista de desaparecidos de los últimos 15 años

That story about Teresa Bordais, is quite amazing. Teresa Bordeais sigue ingresada y evoluciona favorablemente
She fell into a ravine, while out with a party of 13, so they knew where she was last seen. This was in the popular Cañón de Añisclo at the end of June, and no-one found her. After 11 days a helicopter spotted a red t-shirt she had placed on the rocks and she was rescued. The area around Port de Venasque is a lot more open, however it does go to show, even in very favourable conditions it's easy to miss someone.

Five other people remain missing in the same area....

Esther Dingley is the last name on the list of missing hikers in the Pyrenees and the Sierra de Guara. The trail of this 37 year old British woman vanished on the 22nd of November in Benasque and less than a month later (on the 19th of December), on the other side of the mountain range the same thing happened to the Aragonese lawyer Andrés Funes, 61 years of age and resident of Huesca. Since then there has been no news of either of them, and the search operations had to be interrupted by the arrival of winter and heavy snowfall.

The cases of Esther and Andrés are not exceptional. In total, five hikers remain missing in the province of Huesca (Funes disappeared in the French valley of Aspe and it is the Gendarmerie that is handling the case), some of them since 2006. The police archives hold the files of German Reinhard Kulosa, Belgian François Dasnois, Danish Michel Nielsen and Spanish Ferrán Camps, who have never been heard of again, and now those of Dingley. The profile is that of a foreign hiker who was going alone, hence the difficulty in tracking them.

Their names appear in European police databases, from where they will not be released until they are found, "even if many years go by", the Guardia Civíl says. Those who have recently disappeared will be searched again in the spring, after the snow has melted, from where their trail has been lost, but other cases will not be pursued unless new clues are found. "No hypothesis is ever ruled out, but if someone has gone into the mountains alone and disappeared, as long as there is no other information, an accident is assumed," according to the Guardia Civíl.

The search for Dingley ceased with the snowfalls of early December and that of Funes is also suspended, according to his family on Saturday, for the same reasons.

The oldest file, from 2006, is that of the German national Kulosa, a 44-year-old mountaineer. His last trace places him at the Marboré Lake (Ordesa and Monte Perdido National Park), from where he made a phone call reporting a strong storm.

The disappearance of Françoise Dasnois, 48 years of age, in 2009, was widely publicized. Searches took weeks with ample deployments. She was hiking with her husband and son, turned around to go back to the village of Colungo alone, where they were staying, because she was tired, but did not arrive.

Another foreigner, the Dane Michel Nielsen, 65, was staying in a hotel in Benasque in 2010. He went on an excursion and left his belongings and his plane ticket there.

The only Spaniard is Ferrán Camps, 23, who camped in the Plan ibón and whose family reported him missing, also in 2010.

It can take months, years and even decades, but experience says that in the end the entrails of the mountain always end up returning the bodies. The body of Catherine Veron, a French university student, was found 18 years after she fell into a crevasse on the Aneto glacier. Another glacier, the Tempestades, kept the remains of 29-year-old mountaineer Joaquín López Valls for 47 years, between 1954 and 2001. He was trying to open a path on the Margalida peak when a whole block of rock gave way and dragged him to a rimaya (a gap between the rock and the ice). This is the longest known disappearance, which ended when some hikers found some remains (bones, a glove and a bag).

After three years, the same circumstances made it possible to find José Joaquín Ayete, a 14-year-old man from Zaragoza with physiological and communication problems, thanks to some clothes and some bones. He was 8 kilometres found from where he got lost.

When the ice melted, José María García Fernández, a 36 year old hiker from Zaragoza, was found dead, lost in the Bujaruelo valley in 2016 and discovered by a shepherd five months and 11 days later in an area outside the main tracking perimeter, far from the path.

Some disappearances also have a happy ending, such as that of the Frenchwoman Teresa Bordais, against all odds, as she survived after 11 days drinking water from a ravine and eating leaves and herbs. Time makes all the difference. It was June, winter did not impose its rules.

Cinco montañeros permanecen en la lista de desaparecidos de los últimos 15 años

This article brought me a sense of final hopelessness for Esther being found alive. We've sought to find possible routes she took, and considered varying theories about what may have become of her. Sometimes, quite often really, I've been so involved with our ideas I've forgotten about the relentless agony felt by ED's loved ones, as they struggle with the same questions we've discussed.
When I read the above post about other missing hikers not found for a long time, or not found at all, a rush of pain grabbed me – pain for all those who wait, in vain, to bring their loved ones home. May the Great Spirit comfort them.

This article brought me a sense of final hopelessness for Esther being found alive. We've sought to find possible routes she took, and considered varying theories about what may have become of her. Sometimes, quite often really, I've been so involved with our ideas I've forgotten about the relentless agony felt by ED's loved ones, as they struggle with the same questions we've discussed.
When I read the above post about other missing hikers not found for a long time, or not found at all, a rush of pain grabbed me – pain for all those who wait, in vain, to bring their loved ones home. May the Great Spirit comfort them.

In the article above you posted by ZaZara, the 5 hikers lost since 2006 seem to have been alone. Francoise Dasnois who was with her husband and son, had left them to return alone to where they were staying but never arrived. The French woman Teresa Bordais who was found alive was with a group. So they were able to identify exactly where she disappeared. It still took 11 days to find her still alive, mainly because she was uninjured and had access to water.
Whilst it may not be realistic to never hike alone, when doing potentially fatal accident prone activities there is a lesson in there. I'm not sure to what extent GPS is a possible solution. ED was conscientious about letting people know her routes but we see that when lost in big complex areas, like mountains, sadly a person may not always be found until it's too late, if at all.

Last edited:
In the article above you posted by ZaZara, the 5 hikers lost since 2006 seem to have been alone. Francoise Dasnois who was with her husband and son, had left them to return alone to where they were staying but never arrived. The French woman Teresa Bordais who was found alive was with a group. So they were able to identify exactly where she disappeared. It still took 11 days to find her still alive, mainly because she was uninjured and had access to water.
Whilst it may not be realistic to never hike alone, when doing potentially fatal accident prone activities there is a lesson in there. I'm not sure to what extent GPS is a possible solution. ED was conscientious about letting people know her routes but we see that when lost in big complex areas, like mountains, sadly a person may not always be found until it's too late, if at all.

She was clear about her intentions, but vague on details. From the summit she was heading to the refuge - hoping for a Winter room. The next day, she planned to hike to Port de Glere. There are two possible routes to that location. Next, she states that she might "dip into France." She's already in France when she's at the refuge, but perhaps she means she'll hike to the Hospice de France.

Although she mentioned her plans, no one knew what exactly she planned to do between Nov 22 -25.

Not sure about GPS as a solution. I've found on the various phones I have owned that having GPS turned on uses quite a lot of battery, and I have on occasion had to turn it off on a hike to preserve battery, despite it's usefulness for navigation. Also, unless I'm wrong, as a means of tracking a device I think it's just a signal bouncing between the GPS chip on the device and the GPS satellites isn't it? Not sure if it is traceable by the Telcos like a phone call?

Last edited:
She was clear about her intentions, but vague on details. From the summit she was heading to the refuge - hoping for a Winter room. The next day, she planned to hike to Port de Glere. There are two possible routes to that location. Next, she states that she might "dip into France." She's already in France when she's at the refuge, but perhaps she means she'll hike to the Hospice de France.

Although she mentioned her plans, no one knew what exactly she planned to do between Nov 22 -25.
On the DC info pack it says when she contacted DC on the 22nd she shared her onward plan. Wasn't there something about doing the loop. I understand your point though about possible different routes to specific places. The routes and maps are not my strong point to be honest.
https://42cc80b7-be3b-41e3-a85b-18b...d/4addd9_d8c55b489c6f445b96d6324dd882f5a1.pdf

On the DC info pack it says when she contacted DC on the 22nd she shared her onward plan. Wasn't there something about doing the loop. I understand your point though about possible different routes to specific places. The routes and maps are not my strong point to be honest.
https://42cc80b7-be3b-41e3-a85b-18b...d/4addd9_d8c55b489c6f445b96d6324dd882f5a1.pdf

I'm not sure what to make of the "loop" discussion. That document mentions "loop" once, but without a reference it's meaningless:

"She might not have checked for signal all the time, but she would definitely have checked during her proposed loop through France"
What loop, where does it start, where does it end, what is the path ??? Loop from the parking lot to the refuge, then Port de Glere, then maybe dip into France? That makes no sense.

Where did the pdf come from?

I can't find it on the website lbt.global. The document has numerous photos taken from one person's hike in the area. Something about it seems off. Was it created by an organization, or someone curious about her disappearance? Is the email at the lbt.global website added to make it look authentic?

Contact information for the document is this website: https://www.lbt.global/

https://www.lbt.global/post/esther-dingley

The linked pdf is not at the referenced website.

Where did this "Dan Colgate Info Pack" come from?
Who is the photographer of all the photos in the "Info Pack?"

Where did this "Dan Colgate Info Pack" come from?
Who is the photographer of all the photos in the "Info Pack?"

otto, not sure if this helps with your inquiry, but here is the press release @Sjm_qc posted here in which the pdf is linked (see orange link)....
https://www.lbt.global/media-releas...PluTrEsGNeO-YUQ2D3R8LZXUGw2lvFyngkWLenB-1gl-s

... but the start of the press release cites the document as DC's dossier... so perhaps he was the primary or only author.

That press release link seems authentic in that its root address goes to the ED press release and has a menu with missing person cases LBT is involved with, I presume.
https://www.lbt.global/media-releases
https://www.lbt.global/blog

otto, not sure if this helps with your inquiry, but here is the press release @Sjm_qc posted here in which the pdf is linked (see orange link)....
https://www.lbt.global/media-releas...PluTrEsGNeO-YUQ2D3R8LZXUGw2lvFyngkWLenB-1gl-s

... but the start of the press release cites the document as DC's dossier... so perhaps he was the primary or only author.

That press release link seems authentic in that its root address goes to the ED press release and has a menu with missing person cases LBT is involved with, I presume.
https://www.lbt.global/media-releases
https://www.lbt.global/blog

Thank you! That document is not easy to find when searching the website.

Perhaps her partner did write it. It's nicely formatted and so on, but to reference a "loop" without defining the loop seems like an odd mistake for an Oxford educated author.

Perhaps he thinks he's described a "loop" with this image?

upload_2021-1-12_20-31-54.png
p. 13

If that is the "loop", he says that she would have occasionally checked her wifi signal during her "loop". That's the only "loop" reference.

Why does the "loop" start at the Refuge rather than the Hospice de Benasque or the summit? The trail implies that the disappearance area is between the refuge and the Port de Glere.

SAR said there's no evidence she was at the refuge. Is this one of those situations where absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence?

Thank you! That document is not easy to find when searching the website.

Perhaps her partner did write it. It's nicely formatted and so on, but to reference a "loop" without defining the loop seems like an odd mistake for an Oxford educated author. Perhaps he thinks he's described a "loop" with this image? View attachment 279183 p. 13 If that is the "loop", he says that she would have occasionally checked her wifi signal during her "loop". That's the only "loop" reference. Why does the "loop" start at the Refuge rather than the Hospice de Benasque or the summit? The trail implies that the disappearance area is between the refuge and the Port de Glere. SAR said there's no evidence she was at the refuge. Is this one of those situations where absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence?

Agree.... it is strange to me that this press release is the only press release under LBT's media-releases. But perhaps that is only because ED is their only active case.

I think you are asking good questions - I just don't think we have the answers. But it is worth exploring these questions and others we have (up thread).

As for the loop concept, I agree, as I think a fellow WS'er called it, the route described and depicted on page 13 (your pic) in the dossier is a "horseshoe", not a loop. And like you pointed out, why not start at the summit of Pic de Sauvegarde since that was a particularly important (and perhaps vulnerable) part of ED's route on 22/11.

Further, it seems odd that her entire route for the period of 22-25/11 is not described or drawn in the dossier. As I mentioned up thread, from what is described, it appears we can only account for what ED might have done the night of 22/11 and the day of 23/11. What was ED intending to do for two more nights and one more day?

And perhaps that doesn't matter, because ED had a pattern of communicating her plans in real time, relying on frequent communication to do so. Perhaps she never told DC any more than what she planned to do that night (22/11) and the following day. But that route he describes dumps her at the Hotel Hospital du Banasque. And if our hiking time calculations are correct, that could have been the evening of 23/11 if ED got an early start to her route for that day. But who knows where she actually went?

Anyhow, the other thing you've opined on is the description in the dossier of ED's plans to 'dip into France'. I discount that as meaning a whole lot other than perhaps DC was just trying to downplay ED's intent to spend a couple days in France with the Covid lockdown underway. Trying to take it literally could drive us in circles.

It’s really creepy to think hunters could have been in that area during lockdown when the trails are so quiet.
To me, hunting just seems a very unlikely scenario. I think we'd need evidence that there was a history of hunting misfires in that area. And, has been noted, the trails were very open and visible: they are not in forested land or forest verges where it's easy to make a shooting mistake.

Also, the French have had to be VERY serious about their COVID obligations: no messing around. We know that because the gendarmerie heard from incensed french folks when they announced ED was missing and they were looking for her.

I feel sure we've encountered that press release verbatim before. I can't think where, but the wording seems identical or close. Maybe someone else remembers?

Agree.... it is strange to me that this press release is the only press release under LBT's media-releases. But perhaps that is only because ED is their only active case.

I think you are asking good questions - I just don't think we have the answers. But it is worth exploring these questions and others we have (up thread).

As for the loop concept, I agree, as I think a fellow WS'er called it, the route described and depicted on page 13 (your pic) in the dossier is a "horseshoe", not a loop. And like you pointed out, why not start at the summit of Pic de Sauvegarde since that was a particularly important (and perhaps vulnerable) part of ED's route on 22/11.

Further, it seems odd that her entire route for the period of 22-25/11 is not described or drawn in the dossier. As I mentioned up thread, from what is described, it appears we can only account for what ED might have done the night of 22/11 and the day of 23/11. What was ED intending to do for two more nights and one more day?

And perhaps that doesn't matter, because ED had a pattern of communicating her plans in real time, relying on frequent communication to do so. Perhaps she never told DC any more than what she planned to do that night (22/11) and the following day. But that route he describes dumps her at the Hotel Hospital du Banasque. And if our hiking time calculations are correct, that could have been the evening of 23/11 if ED got an early start to her route for that day. But who knows where she actually went?

Anyhow, the other thing you've opined on is the description in the dossier of ED's plans to 'dip into France'. I discount that as meaning a whole lot other than perhaps DC was just trying to downplay ED's intent to spend a couple days in France with the Covid lockdown underway. Trying to take it literally could drive us in circles.

Thank you - the document makes a strong argument for her ability as a mountain climber, but when it comes to trip plan maps, it lacks clarity.

The loop was probably from:
Nov 22 Hospice de Benasque to Pic de Sauvegarde to Refuge de Venasque
Nov 23 Refuge de Venasque to Port de Glere
Nov 24 Port de Glere to Hospice de Benasque
Nov 25 Benasque to meet partner
The first part of the trail from the refuge towards the Port de Glere looks somewhat treacherous. Early on in the discussion - Rickshaw I think - discussed shade, time of day, precipitation as factors that could result in a slip.

Agreed, "dip into France" convolutes the information.
There should be a link on her profile page that takes people to the dossier file:
https://www.lbt.global/post/esther-dingley
Should someone contact them and make the request?

Most of the photos are from the blog you posted in Thread #2! You even posted some of them back then!

I know. Posting an image from a public site to a forum is within copyright, but including photos from a trail website in a rather formal looking "dossier" typically requires author/photographer permission - which Oxford scholars know. The name of the photographer and year the photographs were taken should be included because that person would have given permission to use his/her photos in a publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid