Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, the mountain trails do not go as the crow flies. They zigzag, they turn, that makes the search area much bigger. Second, we don't know if she did her route as planned. She might get off the trail in the darkness, either unaware, or purposefully, trying to get faster to the refuge. She might fall off and wander away in confusion. It's not that simple. It's not that easy.

She knew the area well enough that she recognised landmarks, features and directions. I think it’s unlikely she got lost and it’s a well worn loop that she was following. She’d have been able to see where she was heading towards, she had a plan.

The SAR seem very sure they have covered every area that she could have fallen, and she’s not there. Dan seems to accept this too - he’s covered the trail multiple times and would know what risks she would or wouldn’t have taken.

An accident does still seem the most likely explanation, and yes, she could be hidden in a crevice or whatever, but those SAR guys know the area like the back of their hand and they’ve searched it very thoroughly.

As time goes on we have to look for other explanations.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The other option I am now considering is that she might not have continued heading uphill, but perhaps she waited a while and headed downhill (there were no more witnesses uphill we have been told). I don’t think we can dismiss the notion that she went uphill for a little longer, or even stayed in the area, but then turned back. That still doesn’t give anymore clues as to where she is now though unfortunately.

I also think perhaps she didn’t go to the top that day for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
She knew the area well enough that she recognised landmarks, features and directions. I think it’s unlikely she got lost and it’s a well worn loop that she was following. She’d have been able to see where she was heading towards, she had a plan.

Ah yes. Especially in the darkness. HINT: there are no street lamps in the mountains, so when it's dark, it's pitch black and the knowledge of landmarks suddenly isn't very helpful. Also, we do not know what condition was she in, if her mind worked properly when she started to descend. I don't mean any mental condition, just banalities, like cold, exhaustion, fatigue, dehydration, physical ilness setting in, or electrolyte imbalance (she asked for fruit while going up), that can cause confusion.

The SAR seem very sure they have covered every area that she could have fallen, and she’s not there. Dan seems to accept this too - he’s covered the trail multiple times and would know what risks she would or wouldn’t have taken.

He can't know it for sure, as he isn't her. How many cases there were when the friends and family swore up and down that their missing dear ones wouldn't do something, yet after all it appeared they did just that?

Anyway, the fact SAR did not find Esther, it doesn't mean she is not there. Her black&grey clothes blend in with the surroundings, and it's impossible to check every nook and cranny in the terrain like this. Seriously. Ask any SAR person about how easy it is to find a body in the mountains.

I also think perhaps she didn’t go to the top that day for whatever reason.

I still wonder why she was late when she needn't have been. Unless, of course, she walked all the way up from Benasque. Would that make sense? Hardly IMO.

Perhaps she was tired and pushing it too hard. From her past (?) with chronic fatigue, she should have been able to detect the symptoms at some point and take a break. Sit down, rest a while and call for help. If she had a connection.

I'd say she disappeared somewhere between the top of the Salvaguardia and her campervan in Benasque and I would look for her among trees.

Ah yes. Especially in the darkness. HINT: there are no street lamps in the mountains, so when it's dark, it's pitch black and the knowledge of landmarks suddenly isn't very helpful. Also, we do not know what condition was she in, if her mind worked properly when she started to descend. I don't mean any mental condition, just banalities, like cold, exhaustion, fatigue, dehydration, physical ilness setting in, or electrolyte imbalance (she asked for fruit while going up), that can cause confusion.

He can't know it for sure, as he isn't her. How many cases there were when the friends and family swore up and down that their missing dear ones wouldn't do something, yet after all it appeared they did just that?

Anyway, the fact SAR did not find Esther, it doesn't mean she is not there. Her black&grey clothes blend in with the surroundings, and it's impossible to check every nook and cranny in the terrain like this. Seriously. Ask any SAR person about how easy it is to find a body in the mountains.
Yes I think this is the most likely option unfortunately.

The top picture in this article is one I hadn't seen before - Cops probing Esther Dingley disappearance examine reflection in her sunglasses

Looking at that in comparison with the third one down in that same article (the one stated as being the last one to be sent) , I can see now why there is talk of two different visits. The shadows in the valley in the background show a noticeable difference in the height of the sun - it's quite a bit lower in the one third down.

In fact in the top one the sun might even be overhead, as there seems to be hardly any shadow cast by the mast, so maybe taken around the middle of the day?

She's also wearing an extra layer in the top photo and has taken her rucsac off, but as others have said it's quite common to add and remove layers on the go.

Edited: in the comments in the above article someone has spotted what look like other people in the reflection, and on closer viewing it does look possibly like two figures standing on a flat rock.

Last edited:

No street lamps in the mountains? Who knew!

Much as I value your input, I feel ever so slightly swayed by the expert local SAR from both countries saying they don’t think she’s still up there. And then the fact that the case has been passed to police to explore other options. So, that’s what I’m doing too, looking at alternatives, like we do here.

That said, I really hope she is in the mountains. I hope - if she’s dead - she died doing something she loved. Maybe we’ll have to wait until spring after all.

And the police have ruled out an accident as they couldn't find her in that vicinity.

The police have NOT, as far as I can see, ruled out an accident. They have been quoted as saying they are “considering” or “haven’t ruled out” other possibilities, which is standard procedure IMO.

ETA: what I’m getting from the SAR & LE quotes is that they’re (fairly?) confident she *may* not be in the areas they’ve searched extensively. There are many cases even just on WS, where people have eventually been found very close to areas thoroughly searched, with no foul play involved.

Last edited:
No street lamps in the mountains? Who knew!

Much as I value your input, I feel ever so slightly swayed by the expert local SAR from both countries saying they don’t think she’s still up there. And then the fact that the case has been passed to police to explore other options. So, that’s what I’m doing too, looking at alternatives, like we do here.

That said, I really hope she is in the mountains. I hope - if she’s dead - she died doing something she loved. Maybe we’ll have to wait until spring after all.
I'm also inclined to listen to the SARs experts. They know that terrain well. Also, its not Mt Everest. Its basically a hike. I cant see her suffering confusion or dehydration or in dire need of food after a couple of hours. I suspect asking for fruit has become a "thing" for her. Affirms kindness and provides interraction.

She may still be up there but its interesting to me that LE are exploring other options already.

No mystery about streetlights here, Esther knew how to hike in the dark.

59b6e7aa45e2381f008b6a19

Best Headlamps For Hiking – Expert Review (2021) | Mountain IQ

Interesting option...surely cannot be totally discounted either

The third photo from the set that includes photos taken by this man, there is a photo of him or at least someone else,, taken at a distance. Not much detail due to the distance, but he appears to be wearing a reddish jacket.

Login • Instagram

I'm also inclined to listen to the SARs experts. They know that terrain well. Also, its not Mt Everest. Its basically a hike. I cant see her suffering confusion or dehydration or in dire need of food after a couple of hours.

Don't assume, though, she nourished herself properly before that hike. She might have, but she also might have not. We don't know.

Following this with interest from the UK. I see that there seems to be no evidence that ED made it it to the refuge but is it possible that she did but just left no sign that she had been there? I presume the hut is closed and she would camp, probably no one else there. Could she have continued on from the hut and an accident happened further along her planned route?
I still hope for a good outcome, fingers crossed.

If Esther did make a friend on the day she disappeared, after passing the hiker she asked for fruit, it might be confusing to other hikers trying to think back to whether they saw a lone woman, and perhaps dismissing seeing a 'couple' hiking.

Following this with interest from the UK. I see that there seems to be no evidence that ED made it it to the refuge but is it possible that she did but just left no sign that she had been there? I presume the hut is closed and she would camp, probably no one else there. Could she have continued on from the hut and an accident happened further along her planned route?
I still hope for a good outcome, fingers crossed.

That's a fair point, she may have left it as she found it and gone on. I think the refuges are open, as she'd used others recently and stayed inside.

As Dan had reported though, phone signal was good in the area (guessing they were with the same provider) and yet she made no contact after the Sauvegarde summit which no doubt raised his concerns.

If Esther did make a friend on the day she disappeared, after passing the hiker she asked for fruit, it might be confusing to other hikers trying to think back to whether they saw a lone woman, and perhaps dismissing seeing a 'couple' hiking.

The hikers that saw her last claimed nobody else was going up the mountain. Only Esther.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louiwebb