Found Deceased Spain - Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The body of the 19-year-old is expected to be brought back to the UK by early next week, according to a spokesperson. In an emotional scene this week, Jay's relatives laid heartfelt tributes along the dusty path close to the perilous gorge where he was found.
A teddy bear left by Jay Slater's family

Family tributes to Jay Slater
  • Debbie left a tear-jerking message with the flowers: "To my beautiful boy, I am so sorry we never found you. I miss you so much. You will be forever young and forever missed. Mum *advertiser censored*."
  • Zak, Jay's elder brother, penned a moving tribute: "Love you little bro, never in a million years did I think I would be saying this."
  • "I will look after mum and dad, hope you are partying up there with grandad, hope to see you again some day, rest easy bro I love you Zak."
  • Warren, his father, simply wrote: "To my boy, love dad."

I fail to see how littering an area of exceptional national beauty is supposed to be a good thing but that's just me.

Ditto the mountains of cut flowers in plastic wrappers that get piled up at the scene of accidents. Surely there's got to be a nicer way to mark the scene of a fatality and someone's life / passing, generally speaking, than cheap tatt, plastic, littering, and fire hazards?

“We want to give our boy the send-off he deserves so please do continue to share and support our fundraiser however you can.”
good lord, I'm speechless (which doesn't happen often). i understand Jay's repatriation needs to be covered, but my goodness please just have the loving family funeral you can afford. This really doesn't show the family in a good light.

I fail to see how littering an area of exceptional national beauty is supposed to be a good thing but that's just me.

Ditto the mountains of cut flowers in plastic wrappers that get piled up at the scene of accidents. Surely there's got to be a nicer way to mark the scene of a fatality and someone's life / passing, generally speaking, than cheap tatt, plastic, littering, and fire hazards?
I understand what you’re saying but if his family have laid these in memory of Jay, please just let them. If this is part of their grieving process, then that’s for them to do. They’re going through an incredibly hard time and the least of their worries should be about “leaving tatt”. They want to remember their boy.

good lord, I'm speechless (which doesn't happen often). i understand Jay's repatriation needs to be covered, but my goodness please just have the loving family funeral you can afford. This really doesn't show the family in a good light.
I agree and doesn't travel insurance help with repatriation costs?

Whilst it's not something I'd do I can't bring myself to criticise a family who've been through an horrendous month and are expressing their grief as they know how

But, as you say, that's just me

JMO

“We want to give our boy the send-off he deserves so please do continue to share and support our fundraiser however you can.”

I've mostly refrained from commenting because I don't enjoy the way this has basically become a soap opera for some people but having the mother asking for further funds to give Jay 'the send off he deserves' is an absolute insult to anyone who has lost (or like me, is expecting to lose) their much loved child quietly and without the benfit of headlines and crowdfunding.
Are our beloved children somehow less deserving?

I've mostly refrained from commenting because I don't enjoy the way this has basically become a soap opera for some people but having the mother asking for further funds to give Jay 'the send off he deserves' is an absolute insult to anyone who has lost (or like me, is expecting to lose) their much loved child quietly and without the benfit of headlines and crowdfunding.
I'm sorry for what you're going through but I don't think she's implying any kind of insult to anyone else, in fact I'd be surprised if she gives a thought to or cares what anyone else does. Her thinking that Jay deserves an over the top funeral doesn't mean that she thinks others don't, every parent in that situation would think their child deserving wouldn't they?

I think it's going to be a circus. Who knows what Jay would have wanted - perhaps he'd have enjoyed it. I don't think his mother is thinking straight - and perhaps she'll have time to reflect over the next few days and during repatriation and donate the additional funds to the missing persons charity for help for future bereft families. Let's hope so. More is not always more.

Last edited:

Completely agree.
I also hate it when people release balloons. There's ways of remembering someone without ruining the environment and harming animals.

Have to say I assumed the money was for the search, and possibly repatriation - not this.

I think it's going to be a circus. Who knows what Jay would have wanted - perhaps he'd have enjoyed it. I don't think his mother is thinking straight - and perhaps she'll have time to reflect over the next few days and during repatriation and donate the additional funds to the missing persons charity for help for future bereft families. Let's hope so. More is not always more.
wise words @thinker47 I hope a balance can be struck between honouring her son and leaving a legacy for those needing to be found.

In the moments ,days and weeks that follow a death and one where a life is cut so short in such tragedy, the mind is not thinking of being environmentally friendly .we are not present ,our mind is in a dark place ,full of sadness and pain ,we can barely function with day to day tasks a token of compassion is normally afforded to families going through such hard emotional grief by grounds keepers and people who help preserve the land , while I would in normal circumstances abhor littering ,this can be cleaned up discretely later and to describe a grieving families tokens of love to their son as tatt on a public forum is slightly insensitive tbh

And I'd like to ask what exactly did Jay do to deserve a special crowd-funded funeral? I feel for the people of Oswaldtwistle who have to tolerate this going on around them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho
Back