State files motion to proceed with check fraudUPDATE CASE TO BE SCHEDULED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My question is "why now?" Why,almost a whole year later, do they want to repay the $$? The date the MO was received was July 10, 2009...
Because the SA filed a motion to allow them to proceed with a trial on the fraud charges.Jose' fired back with a motion to stop the case from proceeding and included the "repayment" to the bank as part of his reason to not proceed.Guess he thought Judge Strickland would get a warm fuzzy if he knew the money was repaid :rolleyes:

HMMMMM...guess since the money order came from his office, isn't that just a nice way of admitting guilt? :clap: Just when I thought I had seen it all.

Wonder if she paid it from her commesary account. Nahhhh I doubt it.

Wonder if she paid it from her commesary account. Nahhhh I doubt it.

She's not allowed to have more than $500.00 in the commissary account right? So I doubt she was able to fully fund this check.

She's not allowed to have more than $500.00 in the commissary account right? So I doubt she was able to fully fund this check.

I thought that was the case too, but saw a media video report 2-3 months ago where they stated how much she had in there, and it was more like $7-800 or something. Remember thinking WTH?

Because the SA filed a motion to allow them to proceed with a trial on the fraud charges.Jose' fired back with a motion to stop the case from proceeding and included the "repayment" to the bank as part of his reason to not proceed.Guess he thought Judge Strickland would get a warm fuzzy if he knew the money was repaid :rolleyes:

I agree. Plus if the SA insists on going on with the trial, think how much better it will look to the jury. She took it yeah, but she paid it back. Makes it sound like less of a crime and more like she borrowed it, even though it is still a crime. Tricks like that has convinced judges and juries to convict on lesser charges. JB is probably hoping to get a reduction to a misdemeanor.

They don't seem to be denying it was mailed from the Baez office, only that Baez didn't "cut a check." I'm guessing that a money order is able to appear as if it came from KC, not Baez, thus no impropriety, ie. him paying her debts. Just a guess. I believe it may be illegal for him to pay her debts, but maybe one of our legal eagles can confirm that.

I'm not a legal eagle, but I would guess that JB most likely had KC to sign something like a power of attorney allowing him to conduct her business for her. My guess is that the money came from CA and GA.

Baez never ceases to amaze me! Holy freaking ginger snaps! The way that guy's mind works - ugh....there are no words! NO WORDS! I'll be forever sitting in band camp if I really speak my mind.

Geez....he thinks repaying the bank erases the need for this to go to trial? O. M. G.

I would think that commissary account money is not like some checking account but more like a "gift card" that can only be used at the commissary itself. I imagine that's why it's called a commissary account because that's the only place the money is good. Maybe they give them plastic debit cards or something to keep track of their purchases.

I'm not a legal eagle, but I would guess that JB most likely had KC to sign something like a power of attorney allowing him to conduct her business for her. My guess is that the money came from CA and GA.
It might have been nice if they had taken care of it themselves a whole lot sooner then. Baez isn't their attorney. I think it's strange that it comes from his office.

Baez never ceases to amaze me! Holy freaking ginger snaps! The way that guy's mind works - ugh....there are no words! NO WORDS! I'll be forever sitting in band camp if I really speak my mind.

Geez....he thinks repaying the bank erases the need for this to go to trial? O. M. G.

I amazed at some lawyers. I really wanted to change careers and be a paralegal, but I think I am too honest and a straight shooter. I hate these games. I guess I'll have to stay in my current biz...(but sad to say nowadays it's one viewed by many as worse than a defense lawyer or used car sales person).

It might have been nice if they had taken care of it themselves a whole lot sooner then. Baez isn't their attorney. I think it's strange that it comes from his office.

If CA/GA are the fix-all parents, why didn't they pay this a year ago?

Oh it is probably a legal strategy that JB came up with and has nothing to do with her getting her money back. He wouldn't have done it sooner because he needed time to develop his strategy. Was he going to plead innocent and make the state prove their case? Was he going to have her plead guilty and hope for some leniency from the court? In that case, he would want that money repaid showing that she was making an effort to be cooperative. Was there a chance that the state would drop the charges? Or would he take the Alford plea, where she doesn't plead guilty but only admits that she acknowleges that the state has enough evidence to convict and she throws herself on the court. I think that might be what he is planning to do with the fraud charges. In the case of the Alford plea, repaying the money would make sense, as they would want the court to look at them generously.

But whatever strategy he chooses, his goal will be to try to get the charges reduced, hopefully to a misdemeanor.

I don't think they paid the bank. I don't think CA/GA seem to be fix-it-all type parents. They seem to be very uninvolved, unless it comes to denying that Casey does any wrong. They seem to both deny that she steals any money, so I can't see them paying for her crime.

That would seem to be admitting that Casey took it in the first place.

To paraphrase countzero, sometimes it's not it's in the way it's written....

Sorry I don't know how to do the link, but on WFTV the letter from BOA in part says "This letter is to acknowledge delivery of a money order received from your office on Friday, July 10, 2009......the Bank of America does not require any other condition of any suspect identified in this case other than the payment received above."

BBM
Could this mean that the money order was delivered by a runner from JB's office rather than in the mail?

Also, did a conversation occur with JB or office and BOA where the condition was mentioned? The fraud case is by AH, not BOA, right?

Could this have been the handiwork of the new DP attorney trying to close off JB's loose ends?

I agree. Plus if the SA insists on going on with the trial, think how much better it will look to the jury. She took it yeah, but she paid it back. Makes it sound like less of a crime and more like she borrowed it, even though it is still a crime. Tricks like that has convinced judges and juries to convict on lesser charges. JB is probably hoping to get a reduction to a misdemeanor.

Does he want to also pay her back her legal fees, too? Someone waiting tables can scarcely afford a lawyer, especially for a protracted amount of time! For heaven's sake, she probably could barely afford the tow money and gas can money she loaned Casey, let alone thousands of dollars for legal counsel. Baez being a novice used to be entertaining, now this is just lunacy what he is doing! He insults the judge with these stunts of his, I am shocked he is still at it, I thought Andrea Lyons would have put him in his corner by now.

We don't know that CA and GA had anything to do with the money.If it came from them or from KC ,we can suspect that it was paid with funds from selling Caylee's pictures or videos.Maybe someone is backing KC.Who knows.
It appears that the SA's motion to proceed with the fraud trial prompted the action.That's why it wasn't paid back sooner IMO. The SA backed off for awhile.Out of sight, out of mind. Well,she's baaaack!

Sorry I don't know how to do the link, but on WFTV the letter from BOA in part says "This letter is to acknowledge delivery of a money order received from your office on Friday, July 10, 2009......the Bank of America does not require any other condition of any suspect identified in this case other than the payment received above."

BBM

Could this mean that the money order was delivered by a runner from JB's office rather than in the mail?

Also, did a conversation occur with JB or office and BOA where the condition was mentioned? The fraud case is by AH, not BOA, right?

Could this have been the handiwork of the new DP attorney trying to close off JB's loose ends?

I believe that both AH AND BA have the right to file fraud charges. So far, only AH has done so...But BA reserves the right to do so as well. That is what I think they are saying in their letter. I have NO IDEA why on earth JB would pay off the amount owing but am very interested to find out why he did...Without question, it's a bureaucratic legal bullchit strategy...

MOO

BBM

How the money order was delivered doesn't bother me as much as your second question does. And no, we have no knowledge of a conversation between BOA and JB if any exists. Based on BOA's response and acknowledgement of the MO, I seriously doubt if there was any conversation. They no doubt were as surprised as we were JBs crew sent it to them.

Third question ...... if it is, then she has a lot of ends to tie up. :bang: and lips. Favorite saying of mine is loose lips sinks ships ..... so keep on talking up a storm JB and the A clan. :)

How the money order was delivered doesn't bother me as much as your second question does. And no, we have no knowledge of a conversation between BOA and JB if any exists. Based on BOA's response and acknowledgement of the MO, I seriously doubt if there was any conversation. They no doubt were as surprised as we were JBs crew sent it to them.

Third question ...... if it is, then she has a lot of ends to tie up. :bang: and lips. Favorite saying of mine is loose lips sinks ships ..... so keep on talking up a storm JB and the A clan. :)
Well, the As musta taken out an entire FLEET!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jstuff
Back