State files motion to proceed with check fraudUPDATE CASE TO BE SCHEDULED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, KC has a different atty for the check charges. JB is not directly involved (though I don't doubt he'll stick his nose in anyhow). Anyone know for sure?

I thought she had a different attorney for the ZG Civil Case, but not for the check fraud. IIRC, the reason she spent so many hours in Baez's office (before the murder case was filed), was to work on the check fraud and child neglect charges.

I can't imagine what their defense to this will be.
"KC is not guilty. AH lent her the money because KC paid for AH's plane ticket to PR with CA's credit card...this was AH's way of paying her back...?"
Naw...see my signature below. JB can whine and complain all he wants. It is not the public's fault that KC is so obviously guilty. She is not getting off on this charge nor the murder of her daughter. She is going to sit in the slammer for life or she is going to death row. The smart, logical thing to do would be to contact the state and try to plead her guilty...make a deal with the state. But that doesn't appear to be the way JB or KC wants to play this.
Nope..that would make the movie too short...

Quick question...Who gets to hear the arguments for the SA's motion? Judge S or Judge R. I would think Judge S could have a say on whether this would affect the murder trial. Anyone know?

Some news coverage from back on August 29, 2008 when Casey was arrested.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2588122&postcount=30"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Show Transcripts and Show Videos - NO DISCUSSION![/ame]

August 30, 2008 new coverage includes Cindy on the Today Show

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2587833&postcount=28"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Show Transcripts and Show Videos - NO DISCUSSION![/ame]

Thank you! :) Am I recalling correctly that she signed her own name to the stolen check at Target?

~Jai Yen

Yes you are. On at least one check anyway.

I'm not sure I see the point. Check fraud for such a minimal amount would be a misdemeanor at most and it's not like she would get time. She has no previous criminal record. If that was the only charge, she'd probably get a fine and probation.

Anyone out there have access to the Florida penal code?

~Jai Yen
I'm pretty sure I remember someone being interviewed on NG when these charges 1st came about that said FL takes check fraud pretty seriously (and any other form of ID fraud since 911) and that she can receive up to 5 years per check. Can't remember who said it but pretty sure it was a male and it was back in Sept or Oct - also I think but am not sure that he said this would be a felony in FL not a misdemeanor.

I thought she had a different attorney for the ZG Civil Case, but not for the check fraud. IIRC, the reason she spent so many hours in Baez's office (before the murder case was filed), was to work on the check fraud and child neglect charges.

Thanks...you are right. I got confused because I was reading an old thread where one of Baez's associates had visited her in jail right after she was arrested on the initial check charges. Too many players!!:crazy:

ssshhhh, don't do the work for the lazy one! lol but IF this was the case, KC would have to prove she had a checking account. Has this ever been verified?

IMO, since she used Amscot so many times I would guess that she didn't have her own checking account.

I don't think the SA will even bring up Caylee first. Let JB state why KC committed fraud.

JB or KC will state the fraud was committed to help search for Caylee. Opens the door for the SA to ask questions.

Maybe KC should add her "universal" paycheck stubs to the money pool. She as after all working. lol She needed to look good while searching for her missing baby so that is where the shopping spree at Target came into play. Do not think I have loathed and despised someone I have never met in my life, as much as I do this lying sack of .

IMHO, I think Baez should cut a deal with the State on these charges. I recall reading early on that she could end up with a light sentence as a first time offender.

That way, she could finish her sentence while awaiting trial for murder.

Do I think that will happen? Nah!

The State must have a strategy hidden in this latest Motion, I just don't know what they hope to accomplish by having the Check Fraud Trial first. If she's convicted, I don't think they can use that info in the murder trial, can they?

Actually, I think that the state wanted to proceed with these charges before the murder trial originally and that it was a JB motion that was granted to hear the murder case 1st. Maybe, the state doesn't like the idea of KC continuing to sit in the county jail waiting trial by herself while her defense team continues to delay the start of the murder trial. Maybe, they think she should await the murder trial in general population in prison instead. Maybe there is some advantage for the murder trial in having her convicted of these charges 1st - though I agree with you that I don't think this conviction could actually be used in the guilt phase of a murder trial but it might make some difference in the penalty phase. I'm just not familiar enough with FL law to say what that difference might be.

Hello Everyone,
I am fairly new here....I mostly lurk. I was just sitting here wondering if the posibility of this timing to go forward with the check charges has anything to do with the fight CA and KC had about the money she stole from SP which could be motive for Caylee's death.
Starting this way could lead up to why Caylee was murdered. I don't know....just thinking out loud I guess....lol

Hi! I am thinking the same thing.

Yes you are. On at least one check anyway.

IIRC, Casey signed her own name to the first Target check (and was probably blathering at the speed of light so that the poor checkout girl was too confused to check the ID shown with the name on the account), but all of the checks she signed afterward were AH I belive. I think the total dollar amount is less than $1K which puts it just under grand theft, but the forgery is a whole separate crime.

She certainly couldn't have claimed to have "forgotten" whose checkbook it was once she started forging the account owner's signature.

That first check she signed her own name to may have been a mistake. Do we know if she may have used her ZG22 ID to cash the BoA check she made out to cash? I can't remember if we have the cancelled check on that with a signature or not, and if it was KC's or ZG22. If she cashed any of Amy's checks with a ZG22 sig and ID, she may have also intended on blaming Zanny the Nanny for carjacking and stealing AH's checkbook as well.

Now THAT would be a slam dunkeroonie!

Please forgive me if I'm foggy on the details, I had no idea I'd need to create files with cross-references and flags (all red of course) to track down some of these details later. I wish I had a spare space in my house I could turn into a "war room" with a calendar on each wall, complete with google earth maps, push pins and video on demand (and thank God WS is the closest thing we have to one). My family is already looking at me the way people do when they humor a nutball. TIA for anyone who can set me straight on this.

Maybe, the state doesn't like the idea of KC continuing to sit in the county jail waiting trial by herself while her defense team continues to delay the start of the murder trial. Maybe, they think she should await the murder trial in general population in prison instead.

My thoughts exactly. Having the charges of check fraud etc., heard before the murder trial just might give Casey perhaps 5 years (maybe more) in prison. This way it would get Casey out of jail and get her use to what LIFE would be like in prison.

Is there a time limit involved as to the check charges? In other words, if the check charges are not prosecuted within a certain time period, the charges have to be dropped?

This all sounds like a sticky wicket! Would there be any 'credit for time served' in that so much time has passed since she was charged and she was indeed incarcerated?

IDK much about the legal aspect, but I would surely love to see Casey have to go to trial on these charges and be convicted. There is enough evidence for a sure felony conviction, IMO.

Can this case get any more convoluted?

JB would argue that he would not have the access he needed to Casey to prepare for the murder trial if she were in prison on the check conviction, IMO.

Nothing would change as far as Casey's location if the Orange County jail has any DOC inmates. She would just have a different color jail uniform and listed on a different 'count'.

Casey just might would have to change jail cells, IMO, to a different location in the jail, but would still be in protective custody.

IIRC, Casey signed her own name to the first Target check (and was probably blathering at the speed of light so that the poor checkout girl was too confused to check the ID shown with the name on the account), but all of the checks she signed afterward were AH I belive. I think the total dollar amount is less than $1K which puts it just under grand theft, but the forgery is a whole separate crime.

She certainly couldn't have claimed to have "forgotten" whose checkbook it was once she started forging the account owner's signature.

That first check she signed her own name to may have been a mistake. Do we know if she may have used her ZG22 ID to cash the BoA check she made out to cash? I can't remember if we have the cancelled check on that with a signature or not, and if it was KC's or ZG22. If she cashed any of Amy's checks with a ZG22 sig and ID, she may have also intended on blaming Zanny the Nanny for carjacking and stealing AH's checkbook as well.

Now THAT would be a slam dunkeroonie!

Please forgive me if I'm foggy on the details, I had no idea I'd need to create files with cross-references and flags (all red of course) to track down some of these details later. I wish I had a spare space in my house I could turn into a "war room" with a calendar on each wall, complete with google earth maps, push pins and video on demand (and thank God WS is the closest thing we have to one). My family is already looking at me the way people do when they humor a nutball. TIA for anyone who can set me straight on this.

bbm:

Going off memory, KC used her own id to cash the checks. I vaguely remember reading that LE verified this with the stores/bank she cashed these checks at.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurlyClue
Back