State rests rebuttal case - thread #167

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel really bad for Jodi's grandmother. While Travis was the victim and I wish to take nothing from that, there are so many more victims than the person killed. All of Travis' family, Jodi's grandmother. Such a waste...all because she couldn't have what she wanted. SMH

I don't want to seem mean here, but I don't feel for the grandmother. I do feel bad that JA did this to her whole family though and the shame she has caused. They only bring grandma in the last few moments of trial to garner sympathy from the jury to eliminate DP. Then the grandmother covering her face in hopes the jury will feel sorry for their family and JA. I don't buy it. Too little too late.

What did Dr. G say right after he was sworn in, I followed him up to that point, then he lost me from there.

stop saying...us and we.... wilmott...innocent phase of the trial??? seriously??

She looks bored to me. I think she's been told no playing with pencils

Attachments

• bored.gif
    bored.gif
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
:waiting: can't wait until Juan is up against this fellow.....i think Juan will make me feel better like....:therethere::therethere:

Dr. G is schooling us on what it takes to be a properly qualified expert witness. from what I have read of his testimony in other cases he thinks quite highly of his qualifications and quite lowly of that of others MOO

Hopefully the jury will find him as puffed up and pompous as I personally do.

Nurmi and Willmott would do themselves a favor to watch the jury. Credentials are boring.

Is the DT just killing time, trying to delay, in the hopes that the U.S. Supreme Court will find the DP unconstitutional again before their client receives her sentence?

Because I don't see any other reason for this interminable direct on this witness's background. Every. single. witness. they. have. called. has. been. questioned. for. far. too. long. to. make. any. sense. as. a. trial. strategy.

Doesn't the jury get turned off to this?

JMO

Okay, every time I refresh, the 'thanks' I clicked on other posts are gone. Just wanted to thank you all out loud!!! I'm not rude, I swear!

That shouldn't be happening. Another way to refresh your page without losing the "thanks" on the post you have already thanked is by using your "History" at the top of your page above your browser.

I forgot to mention this same thing in my post about using the blue button in a quoted post (the #3 tutorial post), but if you use the History button (above your browser) to get back to previous page you will not lose your "thanked posts" in that way also.

By using the "back button" to get back to original page (after using the blue button in quoted post) you will lose your "thanked posts" in that way also.

I prefer the History button. After getting acquainted with using the History it will be your best friend when using the message forum.

Does this make any sense? If not I'll try to explain in a different way.

:seeya:

:waitasec: Who is this "WE" you speak of mister witness???

He keeps answering the questions as to what he has done with "we" did this or that.

Why would JW ask him about any complaints or reprimands against him? If she was so concerned about this why didn't she use this guy instead of DS? This just makes the DT look bad imo.

This might have already been posted. I know I've seen some of it. What I'll do is paste a post I just came across:

April 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Look what Jose Mc scoped out! ALV & Geffner know each other well. He also has been impeached in at least two court cases, big time...I think he’s persona non gratis! Geffner has edited her book and see the following:

Faculty Include:
Robert Geffner, Ph.D.
Geraldine Butts Stahly, Ph.D.
Alice LaViolette, M.S.
and
Other Invited Speakers

Robert Geffner, Ph.D., ABPN is the President and Founder of the
Family Violence & Sexual Assault Institute, in CA and TX, and is a Clinical
Research Professor of Psychology at the California School of
Professional Psychology in San Diego. He is the Executive Editor of the
Family Violence & Sexual Assault Bulletin, and Editor-in-Chief of the
Haworth Maltreatment & Trauma Press. He is a licensed Psychologist and a
licensed Marriage & Family Therapist. He has authored and edited
numerous books, chapters, and articles concerning family violence, child
maltreatment, forensic psychology, child custody, and neuropsychology,
He has a Diplomate in Clinical Neuropsychology, and has been an adjunct
faculty member for the National Judicial College for over 10 years.

Geraldine Butts Stahly, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of
Psychology at California State University, San Bernardino. She has
conducted research, authored articles and chapters, and served on
several task forces and committees dealing with child custody and
domestic violence issues. She conducted one of the original research studies concerning domestic violence in custody cases in California.

Alyce LaViolette, M.S. is the Co-Director of Alternatives
Counseling Associates and Founder of Alternatives to Violence in Long
Beach & west Los Angeles. She is Co-Chair of the California Association of
Batterer Intervention Programs (CABIP), and is the co-author of It Could
Happen to Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay. She a licensed Marriage & Family
Therapist. She does training nationally and internationally. Info: @************

April 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

This is what I found on another site about Dr. Geffner. Juan Martinez will have a great day with him.
What’s Wrong With Dr. Geffner?
23 Replies
Though Dr. Geffner has some pretty hefty credentials he also has some serious issues having been impeached in some court cases. Check it out:

1. His background is impressive, he is the Founder and President of the Family Violence and Sexual Assault Institute in San Diego, California. He has been a researcher and consultant for 28 years and has presented over 450 key note speeches.

2. Now the bad news- for him: Regarding the Case of Cyndie O’Rourke v. James O’Rourke the court found Dr. Geffner to be nothing more than a ‘hired gun’ for the Mother in this case. This was a divorce/custody case where the Father prevailed. Apparently the MMPI test found ‘maladaptive personality traits’ in the Mother and Dr. Geffner challenged the use of the MMPI test and even went on to recommend that the Mother file ethics complaints against the other mental health professionals in the case.

He felt he was the expert and the others were out of their expertise. (Nancy B. shares a link for info. on the ‘My Crime Time’ blog). This indicates to me he will most likely imply the MMPI test is not valid in this case and Dr. Demarte doesn’t have the credentials that he does and her opinion is therefore inadequate.

3. Dr. Geffner testified that he no longer treats patients but devotes all his time to consulting work related to his specialty. He has been an expert witness in a number of cases in different jurisdictions. Though he has testified in a great number of cases he stated that he did not remember very much about the facts of those cases.

4. In a Texas case; Clark v. Collins, 956 F.2d 68 (5th Circuit 1992) the court found that Dr. Geffner’s affidavit lacked credibility, in part because it was based on hearsay information supplied by the defendant’s attorney with no independent verification. (Sound like any defense attorneys we know who believe everything their client says?)

5. The court also excluded the Dr.’s testimony in Hawaii v. French, 129 P.3d 581 (Hawaii 2006) involving allegations of child sexual abuse.

6. In State v. Supulvado, 655 So.2d 623 (La. App. 1995) the court limited most of his testimony as he relied mostly on the information supplied by the defendant and he testified about effects of brain damage on emotional functioning though he is not a medical doctor.

7. So I dug a little more and found this:

Strickland v. Washington, 466 U.S. 668, 687, 104 S.Ct. 2052, 2064, 80 L.Ed.2d 674 (1984). “[C]ounsel is strongly presumed to have rendered adequate assistance and made all significant decisions in the exercise of reasonable professional judgment. Id. at 690, 104 S.Ct. at 2066.

22 The state trial court found that Dr. Geffner’s affidavit lacked credibility for three reasons:

(1) the evaluation, which makes conclusions as to Clark’s conduct in 1987, was conducted five years later, in 1992;

(2) Dr. Geffner did not review the court records or a transcript of the trial testimony; and

(3) Dr. Geffner relied upon records from Clark’s childhood in Pennsylvania, with no records since 1976, and upon hearsay information supplied by Clark’s attorneys, with no independent verification of the information, and interviews with Clark. The state court further found that, even if credible, Dr. Geffner’s affidavit does not support a conclusion that Clark was either incompetent or insane at the time of the murders, or that he did not act deliberately within the meaning of the first special issue.

8. Oh, and did I mention he was an editor for Alyce LaViolette?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged cases, credibility, Dr. Geffner, hired gun., jodi arias, Martinez, murder., Travis Alexander, trial on April 26, 2013.

Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 1m

Some jurors are taking notes trying to make up for the lack of note taking by The Note Taker aka DUI. #JodiArias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor