Found Deceased State v Bradley Cooper - 3/23/11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live out in the middle of nowhere with the cows and cornfields. I love it! Would never, ever want to move back into a gossipy, nosy neighborhood where the houses are not 15 feet from one another.
My middle child and his wife live in a very upscale neighborhood in the Raleigh area--much like Lochmere-- and the social aspects are very much like the Coopers. I just bite my tongue.[/QUOTE

Well, I am "stuck" in Lochmere. We moved here over 20 yrs. ago b/c our children needed to be in a better school district. That's the only reason, and when we bought, there weren't many houses on the market! We had sold, and were in a hurry to find a house. I tried to pick one that at least had a private, wooded area.

I do not want to know my neighbors, most of them. We are retirement aged. If people with young kids happen to move here, they don't stay long. They do seem to like the close neighbor/socializing thing. We do not live in Nancy's subdivision of Lochmere. I would die.

If my health were normal, we'd already be out of here so fast. Our kids are long out of college. I do not need neighbors! I have family and real friends if and when I want them.

Everyone is different. However, I notice that people who aren't that happy with one another's company (married ones) seem to reach out to others like themselves to get together and have "something " to do. Imagine that. When we want something to do, we plan trips together, for either a day, days, or whatever. We get our bikes and head out to the American Tobacco Trail. In other words, our 37 years of marriage means something to us. We actually enjoy our lives. We have lots of space apart or however. He does his thing, I do mine, or we do things together.

I guess some people have to invent a social life.

Great insight and my thoughts exactly.
And!! So happy you received good news this week. I have enjoyed 'meeting' you on this forum. Your memory of past facts and people are very much welcomed by me because this is one case that I didn't follow in it's very earliest days.

I guess I'm sitting on the positive bench by myself, lol. I see the prosecution as being methodical and thorough.

I agree. The State has to show what was tested along with the results. I was glad to see the cig butts were tested since, IIRC, someone on here or the defense (no matter now, really) said that they were not tested -- so at least the LEOs or other state agents were that thorough.

At least there was no sexual assault involving semen, and neither did the ME find signs of sexual trauma -- as was found with Kathy Taft, for example... And th-th-th-at's all so far, f-f-f-folks.

With all of this evidence the prosecution is presenting (and I understand why) it does seem that the other two ADAs could have been given the authority to handle some of the evidence and the corresponding witnesses. At least it may have broken up the drone a bit even if the results/replies of the witness were the same. I think Cummings is simply overwhelmed and that's why it appears he is doing so poorly.

Nancy was pretty much trapped where she was, IMO. Wanted to leave, but couldn't go home to Canada with no passports, couldn't get a job with no green card, Brad limiting her cashflow. I would need interaction with other people, instead of the "hate mode " guy.

ETA: I imagine Brad was alot more sociable when others were around, as well.

Yes, Brad showed how much of a smiling, socializing dude he could be around others. Take the photos of him on his trip to France with his classmates from NCSU. Remember Miss Fun Bags, the French schoolmate he chummed up with to climb mountains, cook meals, etc.! He could get all sociable around young women who didn't really know him, and even prolong his stays for more socializing. This is the young lady Brad was seen by his NCSU classmates, taking off his wedding band for.

Lord, I hope she is called to the stand, just to hear what she has to say.

[QUOTEWell, I am "stuck" in Lochmere. We moved here over 20 yrs. ago b/c our children needed to be in a better school district. That's the only reason, and when we bought, there weren't many houses on the market! We had sold, and were in a hurry to find a house. I tried to pick one that at least had a private, wooded area.

I do not want to know my neighbors, most of them. We are retirement aged. If people with young kids happen to move here, they don't stay long. They do seem to like the close neighbor/socializing thing. We do not live in Nancy's subdivision of Lochmere. I would die.

.[/QUOTE]

I hope I snipped this properly, retaining content. We are retired now, married over 40 years. When our children were young we lived in an up and coming North Raleigh neighborhood, probably in many ways similar to the Cooper neighborhood. Mom's were home with kids, socialized a lot throughout the day so young children could gather and play together. Most of us were job transfers to Raleigh, accompanying our husbands, much like Nancy. We had to depend upon each other for friendship and help when necessary. Our husbands took business trips, and often time one of us had an emergency, health or home, and needed each other. I accompanied more than one mom to the ER with sick or injured kids. Did grocery or drug store shopping for friends who were stuck inside with a sick kid, etc. We had neighborhood cook-outs, yard sales, took our kids to Pullen Park together, etc. So I can see and understand Nancy's close friendship to her neighbors. Many of my own neighbors became my *sister* because my own sister lived 1500 miles away. I don't find all this to be that strange when one is plucked from ones lifelong friends/family, and plopped down in a completely new environment, knowing no one.

I just wanted to say that I am not 100% convinced, but I am leaning that way. I have been here since it happened, and there was a lot of discussion that lead me to believe that he most likely did it. Yet, I am unconvinced, and am confident that I could in clear consious serve on the jury and render a fair verdict.

I know many times if you are passionate about something, it is easy to feel that they are being obtuse if they do not think like you do about something. This goes both ways, but we need to remain civil in our discourse. I know of several historical cases where there were convictions, but I saw the evidence and I can say that I would not have convicted the obviously guilty person because the state did not meet the burden of proof. (Scarsdale Diet Doctor case comes to mind.)

I can say that regardless of how I feel now, if the state does not produce real evidence, I will agree that BC should walk, even if I personally still think he did it, they have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, not a shadow of a doubt.

Clearly there appears to be no DNA evidence in this case whatsoever. A combo of really good cleaning + not a bloody murder + decomp + degradation due to exposure to the elements = no detectable physical evidence (at least none thus far).

I'm ready for them to get to the computers and phone calls.

Do you think all the stops/starts/pauses & slow questioning style could be a delay tactic? Just wondering if the prosecution is trying to drag this out for some reason.

She continues to use 'degradation' and the reason nothing can be matched. I'm very disappointed thus far....

I read about human body decomp. last night (and worried about nightmares) -- Other than underwater, outside is the next quickest way for decomp to proceed. And we have July's heat and then rain/dew to thank for making that even faster. Why didn't he just stash her in the freezer like other folks have done? Heck. JMO.... :banghead:

I agree. The State has to show what was tested along with the results. I was glad to see the cig butts were tested since, IIRC, someone on here or the defense (no matter now, really) said that they were not tested -- so at least the LEOs or other state agents were that thorough.

At least there was no sexual assault involving semen, and neither did the ME find signs of sexual trauma -- as was found with Kathy Taft, for example... And th-th-th-at's all so far, f-f-f-folks.

They were tested against Brad and obviously didn't match. Did they run the results through a dna database to see if it matched anyone else? I took a call and didn't get to hear.

Is that what he bought at lowes?

I can't remember any discussion/details about the tarp as it has to do with the investigation.... Do we know for sure that it was not used?
icon5.gif

I read about human body decomp. last night (and worried about nightmares) -- Other than underwater, outside is the next quickest way for decomp to proceed. And we have July's heat and then rain/dew to thank for making that even faster. Why didn't he just stash her in the freezer like other folks have done? Heck. JMO.... :banghead:

I have read quite a bit about decomposition over the past few years, including some very detailed information about the "Body Farm" near University of Tennessee. They had researchers just sit and watch the body decompose over time, daily, hourly, making notes about what order the insect invasions happened. They have positioned bodies in nearly every conceivable place and monitored the decomposition. It is fascinating, but I, for one, would carry nose plugs.

They have placed bodies in the trunks of cars, buried in shallow graves, in concrete pipes, luggage, water and the list goes on. They were even doing research at one point about people properly buried in a casket, and if it was better to have an air tight casket or not.

This is one reason I was disappointed in the ME for not having a closer TOD. There might be testimony from others later, but with the stated insect activity, I think they should be able to get TOD down to a period of a couple of hours.

Yes, Brad showed how much of a smiling, socializing dude he could be around others. Take the photos of him on his trip to France with his classmates from NCSU. Remember Miss Fun Bags, the French schoolmate he chummed up with to climb mountains, cook meals, etc.! He could get all sociable around young women who didn't really know him, and even prolong his stays for more socializing. This is the young lady Brad was seen by his NCSU classmates, taking off his wedding band for.

Lord, I hope she is called to the stand, just to hear what she has to say.

Would it really matter? He had affairs (or at least 1)...she had affairs (or at least 1)...she stopped having sex with him after the first child was born (except an attempt to conceive the second).

I'm on the "he did it" side of the fence - have been since the very beginning (before they found her body even. Can't help it - everything seemed fishy to me at the outset). So looking at it with very biased eyes I'd have to say that no, I wouldn't convict on what has been presented thus far if I were seated on that jury at this very minute. But I still say this court case is far from over. I'm going to hold out hope that there is some very compelling evidence just waiting in the wings to come in up until I hear the prosecution say "The state rests, your Honor." I, too, am anxious to hear about the phone and computer evidence - searches, emails, phone calls - anything that tells the jury loud and clear that BC was on a mission to be rid of his wife for good without having to pay her one red cent.

I can't remember any discussion/details about the tarp as it has to do with the investigation.... Do we know for sure that it was not used?
icon5.gif

IIRC, Kurtz said in his opening we would see video of Brad purchasing the tarp, at NC's request, at Lowe's Home Improvement, July 11, 2008. And that we would see that same tarp unopened in the Cooper's garage.

Of course, Mr. Kurtz said a great many things in his opening.

I just had another remberance of a past Websleuth happening with M Hiller. (Is he the one who was supposed to be setting up to play tennis w/Brad, and Nancy handed MH her phone at the party to call Brad?)

All that scenario just doesn't make sense. Nancy was to paint the next morning, at 8. WHAT DECISIONS HAD BEEN MADE AS TO WHERE THE CHILDREN WOULD BE, esp. if Nancy knew that Brad was playing tennis in the morning too??

Someone had to figure this out: Brad and Nancy. Brad was already gone home from the party. So, that leaves the time Nancy got home from the party, until she and Brad had time to discuss it before Nancy was to leave prior to 8 AM to paint.

ETA: I get Hiller and Morwick mixed up about which one planned to play tennis, via phone at the party.

Brad must have rec'd the phone call from the tennis partner, since Nancy gave him the phone to call Brad. Brad must have known about the painting plans, either from reading her emails or she told him (I can't remember, as usual).

So there brews a storm, no matter what other storms were rumbling. There had to be a confrontation about "who is keeping the kids, b/c I'm playing tennis/you're painting".

That's a hard one to leave out in the open with so little time to work out the issue. I don't think previous plans were made for childcare. Maybe Nancy knew she could bring the kids to JA's to paint, if she had to?

In the end, no one had to worry about childcare. But I can picture a confrontation between Brad and Nancy sometime before she died, over this issue.

Hey, does anyone remember back when Hiller decided to become a WS poster, under a name that he thought we'd never know? But, being WS people, we found it easy to know it was him, since he didn't select the right privacy settings (vcard). That was funny.

None of us *know* what happened--and everything did seem fishy at the outset, as less0305 said--but we are only speculating based on testimony presented, documentation we have read, and other things we may have heard. I think this was a horrendous crime, and it breaks my heart to think the perpetrator(s) may not be brought to justice. I think we can all get behind that--we all want the person(s) who committed this terrible crime to pay for it. I don't know if that person is Brad, although I am not convinced anyone else had a strong motive. A random murder in that area seems very unlikely, though it isn't impossible. It's a shame her cell phone was wiped because I think it could have yielded some good information.

I lived in Lochmere for a number of years when the Coopers were there, although I lived in another area and did not know them or their friends. I worked full-time and didn't have an opportunity to build anything more than a casual friendship with my neighbors. Lochmere can clearly have a "clique-y" feel to it--if you want to play the game.

Although the circumstances of NC's death look really dodgy for BC, IMO, I am very concerned at this point with the prosecution's case. That said, they, presumably, are still far from presenting their entire case--especially the computer forensics. I think that is the big area of concern for the defense, if their opening was any indication.

I do think it is healthy to have discussion, to play "devil's advocate", so to speak, and to hear other opinions. It keeps our brains from turning to mush. ;)

I can say that regardless of how I feel now, if the state does not produce real evidence, I will agree that BC should walk, even if I personally still think he did it, they have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, not a shadow of a doubt.

I agree with this statement. Unless the state can somehow tie something together, I probably wouldn't be able to find guilty. Can't say I wouldn't *hang* the jury, though. I don't know that I could find 'not guilty', and the jury would most likely have to *hang*. So far, I continue to believe the state has to have something. Otherwise, why the heck didn't they arrest Jason Young for years? And Ann Miller? It's not like this DA's office 'rushes to judgement' normally. :maddening:

None of us *know* what happened--and everything did seem fishy at the outset, as less0305 said--but we are only speculating based on testimony presented, documentation we have read, and other things we may have heard. I think this was a horrendous crime, and it breaks my heart to think the perpetrator(s) may not be brought to justice. I think we can all get behind that--we all want the person(s) who committed this terrible crime to pay for it. I don't know if that person is Brad, although I am not convinced anyone else had a strong motive. A random murder in that area seems very unlikely, though it isn't impossible. It's a shame her cell phone was wiped because I think it could have yielded some good information.

I lived in Lochmere for a number of years when the Coopers were there, although I lived in another area and did not know them or their friends. I worked full-time and didn't have an opportunity to build anything more than a casual friendship with my neighbors. Lochmere can clearly have a "clique-y" feel to it--if you want to play the game.

Although the circumstances of NC's death look really dodgy for BC, IMO, I am very concerned at this point with the prosecution's case. That said, they, presumably, are still far from presenting their entire case--especially the computer forensics. I think that is the big area of concern for the defense, if their opening was any indication.

I do think it is healthy to have discussion, to play "devil's advocate", so to speak, and to hear other opinions. It keeps our brains from turning to mush. ;)

I absolutely agree with your last statement. Sometimes I find that I have not fully thought through something--whether it be this crime/trial or something in my 'real' life. I welcome others' differing opinions as they sometimes open my mind to aspects I have not considered or thought through.

I think everybody on this forum has been nice. Sometimes what shows in print doesn't come through the same as if we had said it out loud--with inflections and tones, or the lack of. That's one of the gray areas in communicating via the net that will never be resolved. I have truly enjoyed getting to know each of you on here and will follow you guys to whatever trial you land at next!

I refuse to believe that they don't contain any evidence until I sample, uh, I mean test them for myself.... PM a couple over.

I'd be happy too but first I need to get somebody to look at them to determine if they should be tested, then I need somebody to call somebody else to collect them for testing, then they can come to you for to taste. :-)

I think I now understand the chain of custody :great:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members