Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to observe that in some of my investigations I have have been challenged on the reliability of time stamps. I'm not an expert in this area but I understand it could have to do with different time zones, websites that go down, site administrators that change things, and a whole host of other things.

Just imo from experience

I can see the point. In my current occupation, I deal with SOX compliance, which requires to to pinpoint which login was used, from which machine, and at what time. When we provide how many login credentials are presently set up for a specific app to our auditors, we provide before and after data for specific time frames. They require screenshots of the login roster itself, and the ticket IDs for adding and removing individuals. Lacking this information results in hefty fines.

Now, not every company has to follow SOX, but in their own best interest, most have security set in place, especially an ISP.

Additionally, a computer login/logoff is kept in the computer's event log, which is timestamped with the computer system's time clock. Any time it is changed, it will appear in the event log. Computers are essentially a gold mine of information.

So is it good until 6May 2013? :sick:

The domain name, yes. That means he will own that name until May 6, 2013, at which point he will either renew it or let it lapse. Then someone else can own the name.

Now, whether he paid up front for that much domain hosting is another story. If he goes month to month, it could be auto debited, or he makes a manual payment monthly. When the domain hosting company isn't being paid, the site will show a generic screen with an error message.

The domain name, yes. That means he will own that name until May 6, 2013, at which point he will either renew it or let it lapse. Then someone else can own the name.

Now, whether he paid up front for that much domain hosting is another story. If he goes month to month, it could be auto debited, or he makes a manual payment monthly. When the domain hosting company isn't being paid, the site will show a generic screen with an error message.

Respectfully BBM:

Ya know, seems like the boys were pretty confident she'd still be missing (and that they'd still need the domain name) 'til 2013. Wonder what gives someone that kind of confidence... :innocent:

Respectfully BBM:

Ya know, seems like the boys were pretty confident she'd still be missing (and that they'd still need the domain name) 'til 2013. Wonder what gives someone that kind of confidence... :innocent:

I think we are talking about the Steve Chantrey website here. But now that you mention it, I wonder if our friend LavaJava could look into the SusanPowell.org site and tell us what she can find? Hmm? Yes? I knew you could! :crazy:

I can see the point. In my current occupation, I deal with SOX compliance, which requires to to pinpoint which login was used, from which machine, and at what time. When we provide how many login credentials are presently set up for a specific app to our auditors, we provide before and after data for specific time frames. They require screenshots of the login roster itself, and the ticket IDs for adding and removing individuals. Lacking this information results in hefty fines.

Now, not every company has to follow SOX, but in their own best interest, most have security set in place, especially an ISP.

Additionally, a computer login/logoff is kept in the computer's event log, which is timestamped with the computer system's time clock. Any time it is changed, it will appear in the event log. Computers are essentially a gold mine of information.

Got it. I'm in SOX compliance, too, in addition to corporate investigations. I'm an auditor.

:innocent:

IMO

I'm a lurker to this case (not WS) so I thank cocomd profusely for the detailed timeline. I feel like i've been here forever now! I took a look at the susanpowell.org website and those pictures ARE horrible. They look nothing like all the other pictures I have seen of her. I started reading some of the posts and it's just bizarre and crazy. Definitely not what one would expect from an innocent family if their loved one was missing.

Finishing up undergrad right now, then onto an MS in Computer Engineering. End goal is computer forensics.

Great to have your expertise on Websleuths. Isn't this site amazing with all the different types of talent and expertise we have?
Very impressive.

I'm a lurker to this case (not WS) so I thank cocomd profusely for the detailed timeline. I feel like i've been here forever now! I took a look at the susanpowell.org website and those pictures ARE horrible. They look nothing like all the other pictures I have seen of her. I started reading some of the posts and it's just bizarre and crazy. Definitely not what one would expect from an innocent family if their loved one was missing.

Absolutely! They purposely picked the worst pictures of her when she was in her last days of pregnancy and looking a little bloated, which is normal. They purposely omitted the fact that she was a stock broker. They belittle her and try to make JP out to be some great guy, which we all know is a big lie. I think that website will go a long way toward convicting them.

Thank you. Very helpful.

I do have a question ,though. It's stated the babysitter called Josh until he finally answered . Did she also attempt to call Susan (cell phone ,I assume) or just Josh? I'm wondering if the babysitter immediately suspected Josh did something.

The babysitter called Josh's sister Jennifer when Susan didn't drop off the boys or call.
Susan's phone was found in the house fairly quickly when they broke in.
Jennifer is the one who called Josh until he answered.
So if anyone tried to call her, it stopped once they found her phone.
It's even possible they could hear it ringing before they broke in... depending on the ring on it.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20389954,00.html

Thank you. Very helpful.

I do have a question ,though. It's stated the babysitter called Josh until he finally answered . Did she also attempt to call Susan (cell phone ,I assume) or just Josh? I'm wondering if the babysitter immediately suspected Josh did something.

IIRC, the babysitter tried to call both Josh & Susan. She also tried to call them at work and found they did not show up that day. Then she called Josh's sister who called the police.

I do not recall hearing that the childcare provider actually talked to Josh at any time. Maybe I missed that detail, IDK.

IMO

I think we are talking about the Steve Chantrey website here. But now that you mention it, I wonder if our friend LavaJava could look into the SusanPowell.org site and tell us what she can find? Hmm? Yes? I knew you could! :crazy:

I aim to please. I threw in a bonus...Joshpowell.org. Quite obviously belongs to him. Okay, okay...another bonus. Joshpowell.com.

Susanpowell.org

O4pGu.png

Joshpowell.org

YITJi.png

Joshpowell.com

xBfD6.png

I was thinking about what Chuck Cox said about Susan opening a savings account and transferring money in to it. He said Josh never noticed.

If someone knows; Did Susan literally hand over her paycheck to Josh for deposit? Were the secret transfer's something that occurred more than once? Do we have any idea how much money Susan was earning?

I think it was an automatic payroll deduction to her savings a/c.....that JP didn't know about. Maybe Susan kept the hard copy of her PR check at her work. The remainder prolly went into their joint account. jmo

Got it. I'm in SOX compliance, too, in addition to corporate investigations. I'm an auditor.

:innocent:

IMO

Oh good! So then you know why they're only 5% through all the media...I imagine it is a gold mine of scary.

OK, this is strange. SusanPowell.org was created on July 19, 2006 -- more than three years before her disappearance. Did Susan have her own website (or at least domain name), and later they used it to set up the "Missing" site?

The domain registration is good through 2019. That's not that big of a deal -- it only costs a few bucks a year to keep a domain registered, and you can prepay several years in advance.

Domain ID:D126104342-LROR
Domain Name:SUSANPOWELL.ORG
Created On:19-Jul-2006 21:39:57 UTC
Last Updated On:17-Jul-2010 22:44:56 UTC
Expiration Date:19-Jul-2019 21:39:57 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Wild West Domains, Inc. (R120-LROR)
Registrant ID:CR40436386
Registrant Name:Registration Private
Registrant Organization:Domains by Proxy, Inc.
Registrant Street1:DomainsByProxy.com

Powell's neighbors are just waiting for him to come back....NOT.

"Powell, whose son is the only person of interest in the disappearance of a Utah woman nearly two years ago, is accused of photographing daughters of a former neighbor as the girls bathed, changed clothes and used the toilet.

"If you want to see a show, see what happens if he comes back here," said Jason Wells, who lives across the street from Powell's home...."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016295279_powell24m.html

As if he believes he is beyond reproach and LE would never investigate him or find it............

MOO

Kind of like his son... who just assumes you are going to stop if he walks out in front of your truck in a parking lot? :waitasec:

They just assume they are invincible... and that the world revolves around them.

I so fear this might come across as defending Steve Powell... :sick: but it did cross my mind...
I wonder if some of Steve's pictures were not taken specifically for profit?

The majority of my photography is my kids, animals, or things for friends/family. Weddings, babies, family portraits... etc.
I generally photograph things I have an interest in or things that other people have asked me to photograph.

However... sometimes I will be out and will see something that I don't personally have much interest in... but I know that other people will.

And I think "I have to get that shot... that is a money shot."

I wonder... if it's possible that the majority of Steve's sick pictures contain his REAL interest...
Then he might have others which are "money shots."

If he mostly took pictures of adult women, yet knew there was a market for those girls living behind him...
He could have photographed the girls for profit, even if they were not his primary interest.

Make sense? :waitasec:

Obviously, if the majority of the pictures are of young girls... then that is likely his primary interest. Or, they are just easier to photograph.

I think it is definitely worth looking into the possibility that he profited from this however.
Which would open up the possibility that he looked for the most profitable things to photograph. :twocents:

IIRC, the babysitter tried to call both Josh & Susan. She also tried to call them at work and found they did not show up that day. Then she called Josh's sister who called the police.

I do not recall hearing that the childcare provider actually talked to Josh at any time. Maybe I missed that detail, IDK.

IMO

Isabele 's timeline on Susan's case:http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in-seattle/susan-cox-powell-detailed-timeline-of-days-surrounding-susan-s-disappearance

I wwnder if this was done by the police so that the site would be intact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay