'Suicide Town'

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
you know i remember back in high school there was a family. the son was a friend of mine. his older sister was killed. two years later he shot himself. not long after his little sister overdosed on pills.

i can't imagine the psychology of this family. we always wondered, were they mentally ill? was the pain too much to handle? did they want the same attention as their dead sibling?

these were teens. i don't think alot of younger people realize the impact of death. the fact that it's over done kaput.

oh this is so sad :(

when my group of friends died back in april & may...i would have been successful at committing suicide if my roomie didnt come home from work early and call 911....I made myself believe it was the only way for me to seem them again.

KC, it's so difficult when death is around, no matter what the cause is, isn't it? I'm sure glad your roomie was there early! ((hugs)) You will see them again, but just not yet. Hang on.

KC, it's so difficult when death is around, no matter what the cause is, isn't it? I'm sure glad your roomie was there early! ((hugs)) You will see them again, but just not yet. Hang on.

Thanks. Yeah definitely...i didnt think i could ever be someone that even thought about suicide until all that happened!

When this story first made headlines, there was a lot of talk about a suicide pact. (I'm 99% sure the thread is on here somewhere).

SeekingJana - I don't agree with your assessment that roadside memorials are causing kids to kill themselves. When I was in high school, one of my best friends was in an accident with two other kids. One got killed, one had a broken neck and back and my friend had a broken arm. Going to the funeral was one of the most horrific experiences in my life. Of course there was a memorial where the accident happened, but it certainly didn't cause anyone else to have an accident. If anything, for the first time my peers realized that death could happen to them and it changed a lot of attitudes. If you can show me data proving me wrong, I'll accept it, but it is my personal experience that it is not the case.

I understand what you mean about being profoundly affected by deaths and other events as a teenager. You and your peers responded with grief for your friends and you moved forward with your lives. I am sorry for your loss.

However, I know that some teenagers feel so isolated and alone in their lives that the idea of a memorial placed by a family member or friend to honor the life and remember the death on the side of the road where the accident occurred is attractive to them at that particular time, and some are compelled to follow the probably unknown memorialized accident victim to their own death. There is empirical evidence that teens have chosen places with roadside memorials already in place to commit vehicular suicide. Usually, there was no suicidal ideation prior to the event, and in most cases, alcohol or drugs or both were involved, adding to the impulsivity of the act.
It is gruesome and it is hard to understand, but it does happen. I know this is true due to the nature of my profession, and will look for links to professional literature online. My direct knowledge of this extremely distorted and impulsive thought process cannot be documented online except as I relate it with names and locations omitted.

A closely related example of distorted thinking and the youthful idea of immortal memoralization is the teenager who decides to harm another person in a grandiose manner in order to gain fame or infamy. When shootings or other killings are carried out by teens, the officials in charge of the physical locations have to be quite careful in the planning and erecting of any memorial to the victims so as not to immortalize or glorify the killer or killers.

I am very sorry if I have upset you in any way. I respect your teenage experience and memories and wish that all teenagers had the same amount of healthy coping mechanisms and self- esteem. Sadly, not all do, especially when judgment is impaired by alcohol and drugs or pre-existing serious emotional problems.

:blowkiss:
My best to you.

Maria

when my group of friends died back in april & may...i would have been successful at committing suicide if my roomie didnt come home from work early and call 911....I made myself believe it was the only way for me to seem them again.

Kansas Cutie,
Hugs!! :blowkiss:

I'm so glad you stuck around, and hope that every day is a healing day for you.

Maria

I come from a family plagued by suicide... she wasn't the first, but my granny was her family generation's suicide... my aunt (her daughter) was that generations family suicide (we lost her last year... the hurt from it is still very strong). But I've vowed: no way in hell will I follow in family footsteps, I will fight it and try to make a difference. Mental health problems have haunted our family for years... and knowing this, keeps me very aware of how I am handling my feelings and such. As well, it has given me the advantage of understanding when someone is in that zone.

KC: I am so glad your roomie found you... those beautiful smile and eyes of yours (as seen in your pictures) speaks of a lady that has a lot of good to offer this world. If you ever find yourself in that darkness, again, I'll gladly offer my time, ear and shoulder. Sometimes talking it out really helps...

I come from a family plagued by suicide... she wasn't the first, but my granny was her family generation's suicide... my aunt (her daughter) was that generations family suicide (we lost her last year... the hurt from it is still very strong). But I've vowed: no way in hell will I follow in family footsteps, I will fight it and try to make a difference. Mental health problems have haunted our family for years... and knowing this, keeps me very aware of how I am handling my feelings and such. As well, it has given me the advantage of understanding when someone is in that zone.

KC: I am so glad your roomie found you... those beautiful smile and eyes of yours (as seen in your pictures) speaks of a lady that has a lot of good to offer this world. If you ever find yourself in that darkness, again, I'll gladly offer my time, ear and shoulder. Sometimes talking it out really helps...

Aww, that was really sweet...thanks so much.

Hey Elphaba...
Glad you decided and/or have the strength to go against the tide...on my moms side of the family there are stories of molestation from one generation to the next, coming down to myself, and luckily (so far) none other...I let my 2 girls have NOTHING to do w/ the family...and so far they are blessed they know nothing of the sick family...my mom's own brother and her, the brothers son and I...etc...
NO we are not a suicidal family, but maybe we'd have been better off if we were instead of disgusting, incestuous child molesting family...ick....:sick:

(((KC))) :blowkiss:

I've heard of several towns in the U.S. that have experienced this. I think the smaller the town, the worse it probably is for the teens. :(

I think it's the same "phenomenom" (holy mackeral that's probably spelled wrong) as the increased rate of suicide in a FAMILY if a family member has already committed suicide. It's like a runaway train once it starts.

:( I can remember feeling so desperate.

Yes, I seem to remember Lubbock, TX had this unfortunate reputation in the 90's. Does anybody else remember hearing that back then? Lots of youth suicides there.

Taximom, I'm sorry you had to go through that - whatever happened in your family. I think we are stronger for it, ya know? :)
I grew up in a house where everyone (except me) would threaten to commit suicide - my parents and sibling. So sad, and makes me so angry.

Thanks, Laini. What's sad is that looking back, life was not that bad. It just seemed bad to my teenage girl-brain.

I'm so sorry suicide was threatened so much in your family. That would be very hard to get through alive, I would think, but you did it! :blowkiss:

Am I right in thinking that suicide is not as taboo to talk about as it was decades ago? It just seems like we know a little more about what to look for now, etc. and can talk about it a little easier. Now if we could only stop it.

When this story first made headlines, there was a lot of talk about a suicide pact. (I'm 99% sure the thread is on here somewhere).

SeekingJana - I don't agree with your assessment that roadside memorials are causing kids to kill themselves. When I was in high school, one of my best friends was in an accident with two other kids. One got killed, one had a broken neck and back and my friend had a broken arm. Going to the funeral was one of the most horrific experiences in my life. Of course there was a memorial where the accident happened, but it certainly didn't cause anyone else to have an accident. If anything, for the first time my peers realized that death could happen to them and it changed a lot of attitudes. If you can show me data proving me wrong, I'll accept it, but it is my personal experience that it is not the case.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I see a cross with flowers, etc on it by the side of a road I always think that the accident was no doubt caused by speeding and it really makes me aware to watch my lead foot. Makes me feel sad too for those lost and the families left behind.

I've heard of several towns in the U.S. that have experienced this. I think the smaller the town, the worse it probably is for the teens. :(

I think it's the same "phenomenom" (holy mackeral that's probably spelled wrong) as the increased rate of suicide in a FAMILY if a family member has already committed suicide. It's like a runaway train once it starts.

:( I can remember feeling so desperate.

Oh bless your dear heart, (((Taximom))) :blowkiss:

Yes, I seem to remember Lubbock, TX had this unfortunate reputation in the 90's. Does anybody else remember hearing that back then? Lots of youth suicides there.

Taximom, I'm sorry you had to go through that - whatever happened in your family. I think we are stronger for it, ya know? :)
I grew up in a house where everyone (except me) would threaten to commit suicide - my parents and sibling. So sad, and makes me so angry.

(((laini))) :blowkiss:

Thanks, Laini. What's sad is that looking back, life was not that bad. It just seemed bad to my teenage girl-brain.

I'm so sorry suicide was threatened so much in your family. That would be very hard to get through alive, I would think, but you did it! :blowkiss:

Am I right in thinking that suicide is not as taboo to talk about as it was decades ago? It just seems like we know a little more about what to look for now, etc. and can talk about it a little easier. Now if we could only stop it.

I believe it's not as taboo anymore to talk about it because more is known about depression and mental pressures upon people and it is less likely to treat suicide as a sin which would lead someone committing suicide not being allowed to be buried in consecrated ground. at least in the church of england and welsh methodist congregations it wasn't allowed and those are the religions i grew up with. it's a part of what i remember. i haven't been a true part of a congregation for many years.

Alot of areas in Wales are old and haunted.

Is there a history of suicides in the town in Wales where these are taking place? It would take some historical research.

Also in the town of Nantucket, are these suicides occurring in the winter times?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back