Supporters of smoking bans

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
tybee204 said:
I have a question. My neighbor has severe asthema and woodsmoke can send her into a full attack. We apparantly have several people in the neighborhood that suffer from asthema and other pulmanary related diseases. Last year they sent letters to everyone in the neighborhood requesting that we do not use our fireplaces because of their health issues and it causes everything in their house to smell like smoke.

Whose rights are being infringed on and should wood burning fireplaces be banned?

This has caused alot of arguments in neighborhoods all over the Country.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but if your health problems are so extreme that you can't function outside, then you need to stay inside, live in a plastic bubble, buy a personal air filter (they do exist), or do whatever it takes to solve the problem yourself. Demanding that an entire neighborhood refrain from using wood fireplaces is outrageous!

(As a smoker myself, I have no problem with bans on smoking indoors in public places. I don't smoke in my own house; I certainly don't need to smoke in somebody's office.

That being said, I think there should be places where it is understood that some risky behaviors (i.e., smoking and drinking and, for all I care, shooting heroin) will take place. A mentally healthy society needs that outlet.)

Taximom said:
We enjoyed our first totally non-smoking meal at Denny's the other day. It was really nice.

As a smoker, I can certainly understand why smoking is not compatible with other people eating. I see no reason why we smokers shouldn't abstain in restaurants.

Details, I don't want to seem as if I'm ignoring you, so that's why I'm replying without having anything to say.... LOL.... except I could repeat what I have already said over and over in this thread... for to happen what you say one doesn't need to ban smoking in public places. There are choices people were able to make and not anymore now, plus there's the hypocrisy factor.

I agree with the second part you said though - it is amazing how many people don't know -for real- that second hand smoke is damaging to others etc.... or even that it's bad for their own health (older men especially). But of course I have to be a critical bum again.... an awareness campaign would do that more good than a smoking ban.

Nova said:
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but if your health problems are so extreme that you can't function outside, then you need to stay inside, live in a plastic bubble, buy a personal air filter (they do exist), or do whatever it takes to solve the problem yourself. Demanding that an entire neighborhood refrain from using wood fireplaces is outrageous!

(As a smoker myself, I have no problem with bans on smoking indoors in public places. I don't smoke in my own house; I certainly don't need to smoke in somebody's office.

That being said, I think there should be places where it is understood that some risky behaviors (i.e., smoking and drinking and, for all I care, shooting heroin) will take place. A mentally healthy society needs that outlet.)
Nova, great comment.

Strong perfume on others also made my daughter go into fits. Now there's a ban I could vote for! :D

reb said:
<Still, I find myself wondering to what we could all eventually become accustomed.>

i sure could find myself becoming accustomed to going (or working in- as i have in the past) a bar or restaurant without having to subject myself to lung cancer.

sometimes.. the government has to set limits for people because they can't do it for themselves. if something gets to the point where it's hurting other people- and it gets bad enough- then the government has to step in and do something.
i'm sure lots of drunk drivers also complained about their 'rights' being taken away when those laws were passed too.

unchecked 'freedom' is one of the world's biggest myths. the fact is.. that people cannot HANDLE too much freedom- they need control and limits just like children.... ESPECIALLY when it comes to addiction. and the cigarette companies have become so powerful and influential for several decades now.. and the health statistics speak for themselves-- i think we have enough evidence now, that the govt (i.e. the people)-- had to step in and do something. as i said, if you want to be addicted, fine. but DON'T make me suffer for your addiction! and it's about damn time.

and for those who say-- 'if you don't like smoking, then do go to bars'... well, WHY should i have to not go to a bar or a club because of other peoples' stupid addictions??? sorry--- but MY right to breathe is more important that YOUR right to be an addict!

As long as it is a legal vice, I don't see why some bars (not restaurants) can't cater to smokers. If the owners want it, and if it is clearly marked on the outside as a smoking establishment, I don't see the problem. Go there or work there if you are a smoker or don't mind being around smoke. Stay away if you aren't.

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. Some bars can be non-smoking and others can allow it. What's the big deal?

Pepper said:
As long as it is a legal vice, I don't see why some bars (not restaurants) can't cater to smokers. If the owners want it, and if it is clearly marked on the outside as a smoking establishment, I don't see the problem. Go there or work there if you are a smoker or don't mind being around smoke. Stay away if you aren't.

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. Some bars can be non-smoking and others can allow it. What's the big deal?
Hey we have smoking clubs for marijuana lol.

Taximom said:
Strong perfume on others also made my daughter go into fits. Now there's a ban I could vote for! :D

LOL I took an elderly neighbor to a bingo game at the American Legion one night. LOL 200 elderly women wearing Lavender, Violet and Rose perfume about killed me.

JanetElaine said:
Details, I don't want to seem as if I'm ignoring you, so that's why I'm replying without having anything to say.... LOL.... except I could repeat what I have already said over and over in this thread... for to happen what you say one doesn't need to ban smoking in public places. There are choices people were able to make and not anymore now, plus there's the hypocrisy factor.

I agree with the second part you said though - it is amazing how many people don't know -for real- that second hand smoke is damaging to others etc.... or even that it's bad for their own health (older men especially). But of course I have to be a critical bum again.... an awareness campaign would do that more good than a smoking ban.

Talk about posting without anything to say! Here goes:

Janet, I have read a number of your posts today, here and in the PP.

Just want to say WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS! I hope you'll like it here and stick around, because I really enjoy the clear and concise way you express your thoughts. (It's all about me, of course.)

Taximom said:

I have attended college classes where in the first few minutes, somebody stood up and said to several hundred people: "Nobody can wear perfume or cologne in this class because I'm allergic."

At the time, I reacted as I just did to the fireplace ban, but I realize this may be different. What do you think?

tybee204 said:
LOL I took an elderly neighbor to a bingo game at the American Legion one night. LOL 200 elderly women wearing Lavender, Violet and Rose perfume about killed me.
LOL I think that would be worse than smoke. UGH.

I agree with others though about having specific places for smoking etc. I wouldn't mind that and would refrain from going. I used to smoke and needed that cigarette with my drink!

Nova said:
I have attended college classes where in the first few minutes, somebody stood up and said to several hundred people: "Nobody can wear perfume or cologne in this class because I'm allergic."

At the time, I reacted as I just did to the fireplace ban, but I realize this may be different. What do you think?
Do we treat this the same as a peanut allergy on airplanes and in schools? Interesting. Strong perfume caused my daughter to go right into attacks, but she always had her inhaler with her.

Maybe the difference is that a peanut allergy has been proven to be life-threatening, and there are opposing facts about second-hand smoke since it doesn't close up your airway and kill you in a matter of minutes (although I personally think it's bad for you in the long run).

I totally agree that smoking and food dont mix. There should be no smoking in eating establishments. Also Hosiptals, stores, offices etc etc etc. But I dont agree that all bars that do not serve food should have smoking bans. It gives consumers a choice. Employee's have the choice to work in a smoking or non smoking establishment if there are options. Choice is a great thing. No one is forced to belly up to a smoking bar.

tybee204 said:
LOL! Now see that should be outlawed.... :D

Nova said:
Do I have to get sick or can you get me in?
Nova, you don't look so good. this would fix you right up.

Nova said:

Just want to say WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS! I hope you'll like it here and stick around, because I really enjoy the clear and concise way you express your thoughts. (It's all about me, of course.)
Aw, shucks, Nova! Thanks.....

Nova said:

well I think it is all about me and I agree with Nova!

Nova said:

I agree that perfume and cologne should be worn sparingly if at all, especially in a closed environment. People do actually have allergies. Plus, have you ever gotten nauseated from smelling a person who totally reaks of perfume? The thought of it almost makes me puke! :sick:

I believe that many workplaces have banned perfume--with good reason. Once again, it is because people do not know how to regulate themselves and not infringe on the rights of others.

but taximom-- you don't understand. cigarette smoke gets EVERYWHERE. you cannot contain it!! it has an obnoxius way of leeching through walls and floors and things.

i have a friend who lives in an apt., and she was living above a serious nicotine junkie. she could hear her hacking, coughing and retching day and night.. it was disgusting. my friend was miserable there because ALL her clothes, belongings.. and just the air-- reeked of stale smoke, it literally got into EVERYTHING-- even clothing she had packed away! she was constantly apologizing to guests who came over for the smell. she would even pull things out of her backpack in someone else's house and be digusted by that stale stench-- and have to explain to people, 'it's not me, it's my neighbor!' THAT is an example of how invasive it is-- and why those 'smoking/non smoking sections' do NOT work. it's not about blowing smoke in someone's face or not,, it's about smoking ANYWHERE in the same building!

then again, most smokers have destroyed their sense of smell & taste, so what would they know??

btw.. she complained to the apt management who of course did nothing. eventually you could see the woman's blinds (always closed) turning orange, then brown. they replaced her blinds and in a few months they became brown again. why this woman is still even alive i don't know.. but surely she has lung cancer by now. eventually my friend just left that apartment and got another one. why should she have had to do this?? why does the cigarette addict's rights take precedence over a non-smoker's?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back