Susan Powell: Odd discovery in West Utah Desert

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...t-is-worthy-of-police-investigation-Slideshow

Linda says:
I don't currently believe this is Susan. I came across it while searching for her and thought it was a possibility at first, thus the report to WVPD, but upon returning and looking at size to layout of what might be a body, I think if this is a body, the hips would have to be less than about 32" around. It looks too small in the hip area, but could, of course, be someone else. I wouldn't be suspicious if I knew cement trucks dumped on other people's property all the time and saw more of these strips of concrete in the desert or elsewhere. This is the only one cement strip poured out there and I've never seen another anywhere in the county. I hope it is not a body, and it probably isn't, but would very easy to check while a deputy happens to be driving by there anyway.
I have heard about putting hands in concrete and the windburn like effect. I head from someone who did that it is extremely painful afterwards, not like just sunburn or windburn.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...t-is-worthy-of-police-investigation-Slideshow

Linda says:
I don't currently believe this is Susan. I came across it while searching for her and thought it was a possibility at first, thus the report to WVPD, but upon returning and looking at size to layout of what might be a body, I think if this is a body, the hips would have to be less than about 32" around. It looks too small in the hip area, but could, of course, be someone else. I wouldn't be suspicious if I knew cement trucks dumped on other people's property all the time and saw more of these strips of concrete in the desert or elsewhere. This is the only one cement strip poured out there and I've never seen another anywhere in the county. I hope it is not a body, and it probably isn't, but would very easy to check while a deputy happens to be driving by there anyway.
I have heard about putting hands in concrete and the windburn like effect. I head from someone who did that it is extremely painful afterwards, not like just sunburn or windburn.

The person she is referring to was me as I was involved in a lengthy discussion about Josh's hands with her. And, the intensity or severity of the burns would depend on how long your skin was exposed and how soon thereafter the concrete was washed off.

Linda says:

The point is, if she doesn't think it is Susan's body at all, why the big article in the Seattle Examiner?

If she really thought it was Susan, why not take people out there to dig it up?

It's been a month and nothing has been done? Obviously she didn't think it is Susan or she would have gone to the Salt Lake Tribune and told them about it a long time ago.

Clearly this is something that was picked up on from a discussion on Facebook which has been made into a big deal by this reporter.

Are we really supposed to believe law enforcement didn't check it out?

Of course they checked it out! Perhaps they have knowledge of it being there prior to Susan Powell going missing.

Also, it is in such a location that it would be discovered quite easily and I doubt Josh would bury Susan in such a place much less leave a rounded mound like that which is so easily spotted.

Yes, I agree it is suspicious and I am certain law enforcement thoroughly investigated the report.

(In my opinion!)

The person she is referring to was me as I was involved in a lengthy discussion about Josh's hands with her. And, the intensity or severity of the burns would depend on how long your skin was exposed and how soon thereafter the concrete was washed off.

There was 1/2 jars of vaseline found as well:waitasec:

There was 1/2 jars of vaseline found as well:waitasec:

floorlaugh.gif
Apparently some people were already out there poking and sniffing!
floorlaugh.gif

Snipped from article linked above: Sheriff Parks said he personally had not seen the email that Osborne sent in February with photos, a map, and description of what she found. Once he learned about the cement strip from Examiner.com he immediately sent a deputy to investigate.

CYA?

A deputy is going to check it out NOW? WT? If it turns out that this is Susan, it would have to be one of the most legendary LE screw-ups of modern times.

That's good, at least they'll check it out. It may be nothing. I know what she is saying about the strip perhaps being too narrow for hips, but in the Land of Make Believe, if it is 'somebody' they could be shallow buried dumped on their side, with the concrete over that.

I know, I know - I'm reaching. Maybe it's just a pet. Or nothing.

Linda says:
(Snipped)

Having had "cement poisoning" on my hands (I was making a stone fireplace), I can tell you it is very painful. I had to go to the doctor for it. Little bits of the cement mixture actually got under the skin on the palms of my hands and became red and swollen. It was most painful in the joints of my fingers. The little pieces eventually worked their way out. I don't remember it as feeling like windburn.

Sheriff Deputy on his way to West Desert

"We've got a deputy on his way out there right now to see if he can locate it."

Sheriff Parks said he personally had not seen the email that Osborne sent in February with photos, a map, and description of what she found. Once he learned about the cement strip from Examiner.com he immediately sent a deputy to investigate.[/QUOTE

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...oele-Sheriff-Deputy-on-his-way-to-West-Desert

Sheriff, take the map that was sent. LOL LOL LOL

(Snipped)

Having had "cement poisoning" on my hands (I was making a stone fireplace), I can tell you it is very painful. I had to go to the doctor for it. Little bits of the cement mixture actually got under the skin on the palms of my hands and became red and swollen. It was most painful in the joints of my fingers. The little pieces eventually worked their way out. I don't remember it as feeling like windburn.

Exactly what the most severe case of windburn Tim Peterson has ever seen looks like is in question here also. That was just what he figured it was. And, like I pointed out, the severity of the burns depends on how long the skin was exposed. The longer the Portland cement is on your skin, the deeper in it burns.

His hands were red to a degree where TV reporters noted that it could be seen in the news footage.

(I don't feel like looking for the YouTube videos at the moment.)

These are two different jurisdictions. I thought Linda contacted WVCPD, not Tooele County. They probably didn't get the memo. :croc:

Linda is VERY thorough and there is no doubt in my mind she contacted both the Tooele County Sheriff's Department and the West Valley City Police Department. Unless she deleted the e-mail, she should have proof that she did in fact send an e-mail which was obviously ignored.

Linda is VERY thorough and there is no doubt in my mind she contacted both the Tooele County Sheriff's Department and the West Valley City Police Department. Unless she deleted the e-mail, she should have proof that she did in fact send an e-mail which was obviously ignored.

Wow, Pickie! You know everybody. How do you know Linda? Does she post here?

What if it did turn out to be Susan under there? It would explain Josh's hands.

There was a case here a few years back of a man, Ward Weaver, who killed a couple middle school girlfriends of his daughter. He buried them under cement slabs in his backyard. It was many months of waiting until the police finally dug them up. Reporters even walked on the cement walkways while they interviewed Ward Weaver.

I guess it is possible Josh thought it would be a good way to keep animals from digging her up and maybe keep cadaver dogs from smelling her.

Wow, Pickie! You know everybody. How do you know Linda? Does she post here?

What if it did turn out to be Susan under there? It would explain Josh's hands.

There was a case here a few years back of a man, Ward Weaver, who killed a couple middle school girlfriends of his daughter. He buried them under cement slabs in his backyard. It was many months of waiting until the police finally dug them up. Reporters even walked on the cement walkways while they interviewed Ward Weaver.

I guess it is possible Josh thought it would be a good way to keep animals from digging her up and maybe keep cadaver dogs from smelling her.

I know her from Facebook. She has been involved with the Susan Powell matter since the beginning. She goes out almost every weekend to search for Susan. She has a horse and is very dedicated to finding Susan. She has posted a lot on Facebook in the discussions regarding searches.

It would be something if it was Susan and would definatly make the WVCPD and the Tooele County Sheriff's Department look pretty bad, especially since this case has received extensive national media coverage.

Like I pointed out, I couldn't see him burying Susan there unless he was unaware of how close he was to an area that would get a lot of travel during the summer months. He very well could have gone back to this spot and when he realized he realized he'd picked a bad one, tried to cover up the grave with concrete. But, that would have meant purchasing or obtaining a large amount of concrete and I know for a fact that rental car couldn't have carried more than 10 one hundred pound bags because I have transported some in my car. Plus, someone would surely remember him buying some!

Cement___Abandoned_Gas_Station_from_Linda_Osborne.jpg

When I learned Tim Peterson reported Josh Powell having "the worst case of windburned hands he'd ever seen and that he kept putting lotion on them", it didn't dawn on me, until a few weeks later, that the irritation/burn could be from mixing cement with his hands.

Many years ago, I wanted to cement just a few rocks together and poured some concrete into a coffee can and added water then quickly mixed it with my bare hands then poured out the mixture.

Just that brief contact with the cement burned my hands so badly I was in total pain for about 1 1/2 weeks.

My hands were bright red and the burn was so painful I can't begin to describe it. I was constantly applying lotion to my hands.

I am not saying this is where Josh Powell buried Susan. But, it would surely explain the red hands and the trip with the rental car if Josh Powell returned to this site then proceeded to mix up concrete to cover the burial site.

He could have mixed the concrete with a stick, granted, but may have used his bare hands at some point to pat down the concrete. He may have simply poured out the bags of concrete over the area then poured water on it then tried to mix it with something and finally resorted to using his hands. If he wasn't wearing the proper gloves and they became thoroughly wet, the Portland Cement could have seeped through the gloves and made contact with his skin.

If he used his bare hands we would have an excellent chance of some prints. I'm not in masonry, but find it hard to believe concrete/cement would set in below freezing weather. It still needs to checked out. If LE was out there earlier a couple times searching, wonder why they did not say they knew about it? Can someone give me a guesstimate how many square mile the west dessert is? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill
Back