Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While it's not a Supreme Court decision or anything, this news made me smile:

Archie Comics has a new gay character!

http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebrities-tv/archie-comics-new-character-486770.html

I read that in AJC & thought about posting on news that makes you smile but didn't get around to it.

Very progressive of the comic publishers! Too bad most of the comments about that item were not so open-minded.

I miss by best bud Jim, who passed away in September; he had an extraordinary sense of humor. We would have picked apart every one of those posters.

PORTUGAL!!!!!! :woohoo:

Reluctant or not, way to go Portugal!

Portugal’s president ratifies gay marriage law

Portugal’s conservative president announced Monday he is reluctantly ratifying a law allowing gay marriage, making the predominantly Catholic country the sixth in Europe to let same-sex couples wed.

[snip]

Elsewhere in Europe, gay marriage is permitted in Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Norway. As well, five U.S. states and Washington, D.C., have legalized same-sex marriage, as have Canada and South Africa.

[snip]

Gay rights advocates have said they will continue to fight for gay couples’ parental rights, including adoption, which are not included in the law.

Portugal lifted a prohibition on homosexuality in the early 1980s. In 2001, it passed a law allowing "civil unions" between same-sex couples, which granted couples certain legal, tax and property rights. However, it did not allow couples to take a partner’s name, nor inherit his or her possessions or state pension.

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?105804

Both houses in Hawaii passed a civil unions bill for the state, but they are waiting to see if Linda Lingle places it on her veto list. I hope that she does not veto it.

mydesert.com is reporting that the IRS has decided to recognize that California domestic partners have community property rights under existing law. (Most of us (including my husband and I) who remain gay-married here also maintain domestic partnerships because some states recognize one union but not the other. I don't know how many, if any, gay couples are married but not in d.p.s, and the article doesn't address the affect of this ruling on such couples.)

Of course, the IRS still requires us to file separately, but apparently we are now to average our incomes and then each file a separate, but basically identical, federal return. (We are already required to file jointly for state taxes.)

This is being hailed by gay rights advocates as an important step forward. It will certainly be a major help to gay couples where one works while the other stays home to care for children.

Please let me add a shout-out to our accountant, who figures all this stuff out of us!

mydesert.com is reporting that the IRS has decided to recognize that California domestic partners have community property rights under existing law. (Most of us (including my husband and I) who remain gay-married here also maintain domestic partnerships because some states recognize one union but not the other. I don't know how many, if any, gay couples are married but not in d.p.s, and the article doesn't address the affect of this ruling on such couples.)

Of course, the IRS still requires us to file separately, but apparently we are now to average our incomes and then each file a separate, but basically identical, federal return. (We are already required to file jointly for state taxes.)

This is being hailed by gay rights advocates as an important step forward. It will certainly be a major help to gay couples where one works while the other stays home to care for children.

Please let me add a shout-out to our accountant, who figures all this stuff out of us!

Hey friend! I hope you are well - thanks for sharing this interesting information!

Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Washington D.C. have all taken a very good step thus far. Hopefully Hawaii follows suit and does not veto it.

Hey friend! I hope you are well - thanks for sharing this interesting information!

Hey, SCM! I wish I could better explain this new ruling, but there's a very good reason I pay someone to figure my taxes.

Too bad we gay guys got the "good taste" gene, when it appears what we really need are special math skills. ;)

Linda Lingle placed the Hawaii House Bill 444 on her "potential" veto list along with 38 other bills. It will be possibly vetoed, but it is not guarenteed that she will veto it. She has until July 6 to veto it, sign it into law, OR let it become law without her signature. I am waiting to see what happens with it.

Linda Lingle placed the Hawaii House Bill 444 on her "potential" veto list along with 38 other bills. It will be possibly vetoed, but it is not guarenteed that she will veto it. She has until July 6 to veto it, sign it into law, OR let it become law without her signature. I am waiting to see what happens with it.

Hopefully she "forgets" about it and it passes!

Our local paper (I live in a town with one of the highest per capita gay populations in the country) has also been discussing the very high estate tax burden incurred by gay couples when one partner dies. (And, of course, a surviving member of such a union has no rights to his partner's social security benefits or, depending on the plan, pension benefits.)

It appears that some of the tax burdens may be avoided by filing complicated trust documents, but doing so costs $3,000 to $5,000 per couple.

Since the only objection to gay marriage seems to be the religious one, I wonder why I have to subsidize other people's magical thinking? (To be clear and fair, I have my own beliefs in the supernatural, i.e., I engage in my own magical thinking. But not only do I not demand that others agree with me, I don't expect them to pay financial penalties based on my beliefs.)

Hi Nova. Haven't seen your posts in a while so it's nice to see you! I know you know alot about the theater and my cousin was a silent screen star in the 20's..before your time, of course!! (Ramon Navarro) We are a Spanish family and he stood up to the exec's and family who wanted him to marry a female star so his homosexuality would not be exposed. There were many in Hollywood that gave in to the pressure but he stayed single. I wish marriage would have been an option for him back then..Maybe then he wouldnt have suffered such a brutal death at the hands of 2 hustlers who took advantage of his sensitivity and generosity.

I just looked your cousin up; I wasn't familiar with him. What a handsome man!

I just looked your cousin up; I wasn't familiar with him. What a handsome man!

Navarro has long been very well-known in gay culture. (I hesitate to use the word "icon" only because I'm not sure how that word should be applied to a culture that was forced underground for nearly half-a-century.) Even when the very subject of homosexuality was unmentionable, Navarro's story, and its implications, remained part of gay lore. And sadly, his tragic demise was perfect tabloid-type material.

Of course the murder was horrendous to him and his family, but it's also sad in that it has tended to overshadow his work, which was excellent, according to those who appreciate films of that era.

Argentina legalizes gay marriage in historic vote

Argentina legalized same-sex marriage Thursday, becoming the first country in Latin America to declare that gays and lesbians have all the legal rights, responsibilities and protections that marriage brings to heterosexual couples.

After a marathon debate in Argentina's senate, 33 lawmakers voted in favor, 27 against and 3 abstained in a vote that ended after 4 a.m. Since the lower house already approved it and President Cristina Fernandez is a strong supporter, it becomes law as soon as it is published in the official bulletin, which should happen within days.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-07-15-10-53-14

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

BREAKING: DC Court Rules Against Foes of Marriage Equality

Big victory for marriage equality in DC! Today the DC Court of Appeals ruled against foes of DC marriage equality who had wanted to put an initiative on the ballot to invalidate same-sex marriages entered into in the District.

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2010/07...marriage-title&utm_campaign=HRCnews-July-2010

Another :woohoo:!!!

It's a house of cards falling in favor of all that is good and true!

And you, too, scm.

BTW, in my post #185 I typed "affect" when I should have typed "effect." I do know the difference and, needless to say, deeply regret the error.

At the beginning of this month Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle vetoed a bill for same sex civil unions.

Quite a bit of unrest here because it wasn't popular with the residents of the state. The majority were in favor for this bill.

I noticed this law suit today. The ACLU is a part of the suit as well.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12892124

The couple is also together in a lawsuit filed by six gay and lesbian couples against Governor Linda Lingle over her decision to veto the civil unions bill.

The lawsuit by Lambda and the American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii wants to reverse the governor's action.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back