Taking Christ out of Christmas

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What does any of that have to do with being merry?
Considering that the fact that Mom isn't alive and here in person this year has hit me? I'm being as merry as I can be, inbetween crying jags which started just after noon today.

May I humbly attempt to distill Nova's post into a single sentence?

If it will make non-Christians feel anything other than "merry", why on earth would you want to say Merry Christmas to them?

Considering that the fact that Mom isn't alive and here in person this year has hit me? I'm being as merry as I can be, inbetween crying jags which started just after noon today.

I'm so sorry, KatK. I hope your week gets better...

If it will make non-Christians feel anything other than "merry", why on earth would you want to say Merry Christmas to them?

No humility necessary. That's exactly the point, I think.

Happy Holidays, absinthe (and everyone else)!

My condolences KatK.

I've asked this before but no one answered it.
Why would someone want to wish me a Merry Christmas knowing that I don't believe the same thing.
Doesn't that somehow diminish the sentiment?

I'm sorry. I guess I didn't realize that there are idiots out there who try to hurt people's feelings by wishing them a Merry Christmas. Let's not lump the well-intentioned well-wishers in with the...lumps. ;)

Let me preface by saying in no way am I directing this at Paladin.

I think the whole Merry Christmas thing is more about pleasing the wisher, rather than the wishee.

Happy holidays back to you! And a very merry Christmas Eve to all those who observe it. I like Christmas Eve even better than Christmas day, I think.

Let me preface by saying in no way am I directing this at Paladin.

I think the whole Merry Christmas thing is more about pleasing the wisher, rather than the wishee.

Hehe, it's okay if you are directing it at me. I don't mind. Discussions and the occasional argument are good for the soul. It's good to realize that there are other viewpoints than my own and that often times I am wrong in my beliefs.

That being said, what you said is very interesting, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to believe that is the case for all people wishing someone a merry Christmas.

Also, do you believe that was always the case, or do you feel that this is a recent thing?

Hehe, it's okay if you are directing it at me. I don't mind. Discussions and the occasional argument are good for the soul. It's good to realize that there are other viewpoints than my own and that often times I am wrong in my beliefs.

That being said, what you said is very interesting, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to believe that is the case for all people wishing someone a merry Christmas.

Also, do you believe that was always the case, or do you feel that this is a recent thing?

Oh, definitely a this is an extension of a diverse society. I mean, we have no such compunctions about wishing people a Happy Thanksgiving, do we? No, because we know pretty much everyone in the U.S. celebrates Thanksgiving in some way, or at the very least has no religious objections to the holiday.

Great, now that I really think about it, I'm sure many American Indians have problems with Thanksgiving. Bad example.

Great, now that I really think about it, I'm sure many American Indians have problems with Thanksgiving. Bad example.

You may also offend those who feel they have nothing to give thanks for. :D

I think what it boils down is, you can't please all the people all the time. I think this topic is much ado about nothing.

But anyways, have a wonderful holidays (past and present), and a very very Happy New Years.

You may also offend those who feel they have nothing to give thanks for. :D

I think what it boils down is, you can please all the people all the time. I think this topic is much ado about nothing.

But anyways, have a wonderful holidays (past and present), and a very very Happy New Years.

Lolz! All those years of college have really primed me for arguing meaningless points. At least it keeps us thinking! Merry Christmas, Paladin.

<snip>
Not really, many cultures have harvest festivals, in which Thanks are given for good harvests, or Blessings counted in spite of a poor one. ;)

I've asked this before but no one answered it.
Why would someone want to wish me a Merry Christmas knowing that I don't believe the same thing.
Doesn't that somehow diminish the sentiment?
I think it does reading here. Never thought about it before. I have now tried to say happy holidays, all my myspace friends got that besides merry christmas.

((())))

Big Hugs to you, KatK. There is nothing I can say that will make this better, but as a mom, I know that I would want my own children to miss me, but be happy as much as possible. That's what mothers want, after all, more than anything--the well-being of their children. I know your mom would want that for you.

Hugs again, and it is okay if you are not feeling so merry, bright, or jingly this year...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back