Teen Student Jumps to Her Death After Caught Cheating on Test

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I dont think teachers should be snatching anything from anyones hands,nor yelling at anyone in class . I however have a long list of things I dont think teachers should be doing.

I have a child who cannot handle being yelled at or in trouble at all. She freaks out and it leads to acts of weird reacting the isnt normal. I dont yell at her because of this so If her teachers did it ,knowing her "issues" . I would be a little upset. This teacher would be aware of some issues ,maybe not the full extent but she had to know everything was not all good.

I have seen some teachers target children , bait them for bad reactions, and say things to them that is way beyond the scope of teaching. Thankfully my sons teacher this year is great .I am not blaming the teacher for her students death,just for the timing of it.

I dont think teachers should be snatching anything from anyones hands,nor yelling at anyone in class . I however have a long list of things I dont think teachers should be doing.

I have a child who cannot handle being yelled at or in trouble at all. She freaks out and it leads to acts of weird reacting the isnt normal. I dont yell at her because of this so If her teachers did it ,knowing her "issues" . I would be a little upset. This teacher would be aware of some issues ,maybe not the full extent but she had to know everything was not all good.

I have seen some teachers target children , bait them for bad reactions, and say things to them that is way beyond the scope of teaching. Thankfully my sons teacher this year is great .I am not blaming the teacher for her students death,just for the timing of it.

so, would your daughter who's hypersensitive to being yelled at or being in trouble at all, cheat on a test with her cell phone? Even my daughter, who doesn't care much about being in trouble, wouldn't do that. Imo, a teacher who's doing her job calls out a cheater in front of the class. The cheater knows it's wrong and the class gets affirmation of appropriate social behavior. This girl was beyond the impact of that. But that's not the teacher's fault. jmo

so, would your daughter who's hypersensitive to being yelled at or being in trouble at all, cheat on a test with her cell phone? Even my daughter, who doesn't care much about being in trouble, wouldn't do that. Imo, a teacher who's doing her job calls out a cheater in front of the class. The cheater knows it's wrong and the class gets affirmation of appropriate social behavior. This girl was beyond the impact of that. But that's not the teacher's fault. jmo

She might, Kids are unpredictable. And even more so when they have mental health issues.. glad yours doesnt but she has to go to school with a bunch of diverse students ,as does the teacher ,and society demands..(right or wrong ) that everyone be treated the same, however the mental health of certain people says that cannot workout..

Therefore the teacher should not be calling out anyone in front of a class,and should not be snatching a cell phone away from a person . JMO.

She might, Kids are unpredictable. And even more so when they have mental health issues.. glad yours doesnt but she has to go to school with a bunch of diverse students ,as does the teacher ,and society demands..(right or wrong ) that everyone be treated the same, however the mental health of certain people says that cannot workout..

Therefore the teacher should not be calling out anyone in front of a class,and should not be snatching a cell phone away from a person . JMO.

not sure I'm following what you're saying, but it sounds like the public school teacher needs to assume that her student is potentially suicidal?

Was thirteen simply too hard on herself?
Or did others make her feel she HAD to make great grades?

After my last post where I mentioned my daughter's hatred for academia, I thought I'd share this surprise update, because it knocked my socks off.

She sidles up to me last night (like teens do when they think you're going to disapprove of something) with this incredibly well-thought out career plan. Including courses whereby she can learn appropriate skills, research on average wages according to skill set, plans on how to earn enough to afford necessary materials while still in the apprenticeship stage, and ideas about how she might approach employers for said apprenticeship opportunities. As well as a few sensible "rules" she plans to adhere to, that would allay any panic attacks I might have about all this. Oh, and a sketchbook folio of related work she's done, showing me how she's been working toward this goal for about a year now, a little practise every day.

Her chosen career? She wants to be a tattoo artist.

:scared:

Not the 'ideal' career I had in mind for my child (and the part of me that loves academia cried on the inside). But she's thought it all through for a long time, done her research, thought about my feelings in the process. I said I'd support it, if she continues art courses until she's at least 18, and doesn't get her own first tattoo until she's 21. And she doesn't tell her grandparents until she's got a job in the field, because I truly think they'd just keel over in outrage.

Anyway. Just was funny this should happen right after making that post. I can't imagine how she'd cope in a family that made her feel worthless for not getting A in math.

not sure I'm following what you're saying, but it sounds like the public school teacher needs to assume that her student is potentially suicidal?

The teacher did have to assume anything,the girl had a history ,which included mental health treatment .

The teacher just needed to act like she would like to be treated ,and I am sure she would not like it if someone jerked her phone out of her hand and yelled at her in front of her class ,if the teacher was facebooking or something during school and her boss or any taxpayer caught her and treated her the same way. Would that be acceptable?

Had a student jerked a phone from her hand ,that would be an assault charge on that student. Even jerking another students phone could lead to criminal charges. Why is it okay for the teacher to treat a student this way?

What is that teaching? Nothing personal to the teachers here. I have met some wonderful ones,but more and more the lines of acceptable get blurred and then the kids get blamed for watching TV and playing video games and nobody notices how the teachers are talking to your children.

I am not blaming the teacher for the death of this student . However the timing of her death is the teachers fault.

Here is my thoughts.
This all goes back to the whole stupid Bullying thing. We have now taught our children to call out bullies, To finger the bullies, to pay attention to the bullies instead of learning to be strong in themselves. We don't teach them they are more than what people say they are. To stand in their own power and not let people take that from them. WE teach them to call out bullies and blame them for their trouble.

We are teaching this entire generation to let other people decide who they are.

WE need to teach kids that they are strong and priceless. One of a kind and words are just words. WE have given all this power to words people speak over us and in turn give our power away.
You can not be happy and strong when everything you are depends on someone else's words, approval, and thoughts.

We need to teach kids that they need to do their best and be proud in their own skin. To live a life that is good and not let other people intrude in it. To know who they are and stand in that truth no matter what others say or think.

I think this girl killed herself because she had no self value. She was so tied up in how others would view her that she could not cope because she had nothing to stand on her own. Nothing that grounded her.

We need to teach our kids to take their power back. To stand in their truth and know who they are and their value. To guard their hearts and now worry about the arrows of enemies.

After my last post where I mentioned my daughter's hatred for academia, I thought I'd share this surprise update, because it knocked my socks off.

She sidles up to me last night (like teens do when they think you're going to disapprove of something) with this incredibly well-thought out career plan. Including courses whereby she can learn appropriate skills, research on average wages according to skill set, plans on how to earn enough to afford necessary materials while still in the apprenticeship stage, and ideas about how she might approach employers for said apprenticeship opportunities. As well as a few sensible "rules" she plans to adhere to, that would allay any panic attacks I might have about all this. Oh, and a sketchbook folio of related work she's done, showing me how she's been working toward this goal for about a year now, a little practise every day.

Not the 'ideal' career I had in mind for my child (and the part of me that loves academia cried on the inside). But she's thought it all through for a long time, done her research, thought about my feelings in the process. I said I'd support it, if she continues art courses until she's at least 18, and doesn't get her own first tattoo until she's 21. And she doesn't tell her grandparents until she's got a job in the field, because I truly think they'd just keel over in outrage.

Anyway. Just was funny this should happen right after making that post. I can't imagine how she'd cope in a family that made her feel worthless for not getting A in math.

The best thing we can give our kids is the desire to do their best and to let them achieve that. It may not be A's in classes. It may be the best dang Tattoo artist in your city.

I think that we all want the best for our kids but we have to know our kids and celebrate who they are, not what we want them to be.

From what was reported, the girl was depressed. Which is a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Any little thing could have presumably pushed her off.

Good for her! She may have found her true calling, or not, who knows? At least she has a plan!

Blaming the teacher for this is horrible. MUCH worse things happen in life than getting caught cheating on a test and being called out on it in front of your peers. This was not the teacher's fault in ANY way.

Yes, it was apparently very serious for the girl, which indicates to me that there were much deeper issues going on that likely nobody but the girl knew about. We can't expect teachers to be mind readers, and know that the girl's reaction to being caught breaking rules would be this extreme. JMO

ITA. It's tragic, but to blame the teacher is ridiculous. Like it or not, the girl had problems long before this event.

I have a problem with the teachers reaction. snatching the phone out of her hand and screaming at her. It's totally uncalled for.

Some children are placed under huge amounts of pressure to get all A's by their parents. (Tiger Mom) I suspect that in this case.

We need to teach our kids that their very best is good enough. If that means getting a "c" or even an "f" so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheating is like stealing. If you found someone stealing from you, I bet your reaction wouldn't be polite.

I was in primary (grade) school when teachers could still haul cheating students off - by the ear- to the principal's office, where they'd have their palms smacked with a leather strap. My school was progressive, having done away with bum-spanking a few years before I got there.

The cheaters were also called out at the Monday general assemblies.

I am NOT saying hitting kids is okay. But what I am pointing out that we ALL knew what a shameful, terrible thing is was to cheat, and were aware there were consequences (which we actually cared about).

Result? We never did have much in the way of cheating going on. And even today, I am disinclined to cheat at -anything- for fear of being shamed.

I think direct, swift and vocal disapproval and the removal of devices used to cheat is a good thing.

Maybe I view academic dishonesty differently than some, due to my background as both clinician and faculty. But here's my take on this.

This young girl was apparently plagued with some serious mental health issues of several years duration. She attended a prestigious school that has a special emphasis on science, technology, and engineering, and by media reports, she was particularly talented in this area. She had prospects for a bright future in a scientific field. That is why this situation is particularly disturbing. Academic dishonesty is really a very serious problem, and it starts in primary and secondary school.

Academic dishonesty can be a very serious societal problem. Academic dishonesty, scientific dishonesty, research misconduct, and outright research data falsification shakes the very foundation on which a lot of scientific and medical integrity rests. Imagine the horror of discovering you or your loved one has been treated for cancer using a research protocol that was developed using falsified data. This has actually happened, far more often than any of us would like to admit.

Here are just a few links of thousands which could be posted.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27128/title/UCLA-prof-falsified-cancer-data/

http://www.naturalnews.com/042087_scientific_dishonesty_retracted_papers_science_fraud.html#

http://dailybruin.com/2009/05/19/ucla-professor-plagiarizes/

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-04-038.html

I find nothing at all wrong with how this teacher handled the situation—and if anything, she was too lenient. The student was not sitting in the principal’s office—but was released to go to the bathroom when she left the building. Had she been more closely monitored in the direct aftermath, it is possible that the outcome could have been different. She needed some intensive mental health care outside of school hours, and the parents should have been immediately involved before the end of the school day. But teachers are not mind readers—and taking the cell phone and publicly “scolding” the student was not wrong in the slightest.

She didn’t curse at her, demean her, call her names, or belittle her—she told her she was BETTER than being a cheater. That is the RIGHT message. That respects the good student that the teacher knows she CAN BE and IS. And calling her out that her “I’m sorry” was a non- apology— an “I’m sorry I got caught”. Again, the RIGHT message, IMO. It is very beneficial, IMO, that the other students witnessed this. This was not a situation where the teacher “snapped” for no reason, and physically assaulted a wayward student. She took the phone out of her hand—the phone she was USING as a TOOL to cheat AT THAT MOMENT. The evidence of the cheating. From every indication, this was VERY appropriate behavior on the teacher’s part, IMO. She saw the dishonesty, stopped the process, called out the student for the dishonesty. The student should have NO “expectation” of being handled with “kid gloves” when they do something like this. Academic integrity is serious business. IMO, more serious in a lot of ways than spray painting lockers, or a fist fight on the soccer field.

It is horribly heartbreaking that this talented young student, with a bright future in a scientific field, committed suicide. It is even more heartbreaking that it occurred after she was discovered cheating. But the answer is to not blame the teacher for calling out the dishonesty in the way that she did. I wonder if this teacher will be able to emotionally return to teaching again. She is very disturbed about Omotayo’s suicide, from media reports.

Maybe I view academic dishonesty differently than some, due to my background as both clinician and faculty. But here's my take on this.

This young girl was apparently plagued with some serious mental health issues of several years duration. She attended a prestigious school that has a special emphasis on science, technology, and engineering, and by media reports, she was particularly talented in this area. She had prospects for a bright future in a scientific field. That is why this situation is particularly disturbing. Academic dishonesty is really a very serious problem, and it starts in primary and secondary school.

Academic dishonesty can be a very serious societal problem. Academic dishonesty, scientific dishonesty, research misconduct, and outright research data falsification shakes the very foundation on which a lot of scientific and medical integrity rests. Imagine the horror of discovering you or your loved one has been treated for cancer using a research protocol that was developed using falsified data. This has actually happened, far more often than any of us would like to admit.

Here are just a few links of thousands which could be posted.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27128/title/UCLA-prof-falsified-cancer-data/

http://www.naturalnews.com/042087_scientific_dishonesty_retracted_papers_science_fraud.html#

http://dailybruin.com/2009/05/19/ucla-professor-plagiarizes/

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-04-038.html

I find nothing at all wrong with how this teacher handled the situation—and if anything, she was too lenient. The student was not sitting in the principal’s office—but was released to go to the bathroom when she left the building. Had she been more closely monitored in the direct aftermath, it is possible that the outcome could have been different. She needed some intensive mental health care outside of school hours, and the parents should have been immediately involved before the end of the school day. But teachers are not mind readers—and taking the cell phone and publicly “scolding” the student was not wrong in the slightest.

She didn’t curse at her, demean her, call her names, or belittle her—she told her she was BETTER than being a cheater. That is the RIGHT message. That respects the good student that the teacher knows she CAN BE and IS. And calling her out that her “I’m sorry” was a non- apology— an “I’m sorry I got caught”. Again, the RIGHT message, IMO. It is very beneficial, IMO, that the other students witnessed this. This was not a situation where the teacher “snapped” for no reason, and physically assaulted a wayward student. She took the phone out of her hand—the phone she was USING as a TOOL to cheat AT THAT MOMENT. The evidence of the cheating. From every indication, this was VERY appropriate behavior on the teacher’s part, IMO. She saw the dishonesty, stopped the process, called out the student for the dishonesty. The student should have NO “expectation” of being handled with “kid gloves” when they do something like this. Academic integrity is serious business. IMO, more serious in a lot of ways than spray painting lockers, or a fist fight on the soccer field.

It is horribly heartbreaking that this talented young student, with a bright future in a scientific field, committed suicide. It is even more heartbreaking that it occurred after she was discovered cheating. But the answer is to not blame the teacher for calling out the dishonesty in the way that she did. I wonder if this teacher will be able to emotionally return to teaching again. She is very disturbed about Omotayo’s suicide, from media reports.

I view academic dishonesty as very serious & unacceptable. It's a huge deal. Huge.
The consequences for academic cheating are very serious, as they should be. The consequences are enough.
I still don't feel snatching the phone & yelling was appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The teacher did have to assume anything,the girl had a history ,which included mental health treatment .

The teacher just needed to act like she would like to be treated ,and I am sure she would not like it if someone jerked her phone out of her hand and yelled at her in front of her class ,if the teacher was facebooking or something during school and her boss or any taxpayer caught her and treated her the same way. Would that be acceptable?

Had a student jerked a phone from her hand ,that would be an assault charge on that student. Even jerking another students phone could lead to criminal charges. Why is it okay for the teacher to treat a student this way?

What is that teaching? Nothing personal to the teachers here. I have met some wonderful ones,but more and more the lines of acceptable get blurred and then the kids get blamed for watching TV and playing video games and nobody notices how the teachers are talking to your children.

I am not blaming the teacher for the death of this student . However the timing of her death is the teachers fault.

I haven't seen anything that says the teacher knew about the student's mental health history. Has that been mentioned?

http://7online.com/education/me-to-determine-cause-of-death-of-harlem-student-accused-of-cheating/87379/

The medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death of Omotayo Adeoye, who eyewitnesses said walked into the Hudson River last week after being accused of cheating on an exam.

The 17-year-old's body was found Tuesday morning near 170th Street.

The New York City Education Department is looking into the circumstances around the death. Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina said in a statement, "We are conducting an investigation into this tragic accident, and we are taking immediate action."

How odd....Okie your link states that she walked into the Hudson but other reports state that she jumped. Comfusing!

I remember even before cell phones, cheating was quite common when I went to high school.

Plagiarism is even worse and was quite common in college. I remember people who did that got kicked out for that. Big no-no. :nono:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back