Terri Horman retains criminal defense attorney!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well now she's lawyered up and will shut up. Great. I know she's entitled to do this.

This is not good for Kyron who's location still needs to be pointed out.

Is anyone concerned that (if arrested, charged & tried) she will get off on a technicality or by some other means, since she has such a 'good attorney'?
I'm not concerned. IF convicted, and if she 'gets off' on a 'technicality' (I loathe that term), then she, quite frankly, will deserve to get off. "Technicalities" happen when the prosecution and LE FAIL to do their job. IF she's tried and IF convicted, I would hope that the prosecution would have a very good/airtight case and that they'd follow the law. It is a defense attorneys job (and a very worthy job, IMO) to make sure their client is given a fair trail. "Technicalities' happen when clients don't get a fair trial. I might loathe some defense attorneys, but damn if I won't admit they're doing the job they were hired for when they expose prosecution incompetence and LE/judicial error. I'm not so much concerned about the quality of SM's lawyer...I'm much more interested in whether or not LE and the DA's office is putting together a solid case...WHOEVER the eventual (if there is one) defendant might be...if they do their job, it won't matter if SM's lawyer is John the Baptist, she is going to jail if she indeed is guilty...IMO.

Are you familiar with the Horman's personal financial statements. Have their balance sheet? Know debt-equity ratio? Know Houzer's rates, and his staff's rates and projected time & expenses on a high profile case? Know the cost of divorce proceedings? Know Kaine's expenses - 2nd home to support, Kaine's legal expenses?

IMO, they have some serious financial problems.

Very true. If not problems, at least they are probably stretched pretty thin like almost all the rest of us are these days. I wonder if maybe her parents own a home and could have offered equity in their home or perhaps dipped into any retirement/savings they may have for payment.

Of course, in these high profile cases, if a defendant/POI doesn't have funds, there are usually attorneys willing to do the work pro bono or for expenses only in exchange for the publicity (or just because they believe a person desperately needs representation).

Lots of possibilities for the payment or donation of services. I really don't care how/whether she's paying him. Just glad she finally got counsel.

I'm so relieved Terri has the best - she most likely will need it and should have had an attorney weeks ago. When her picture, car, Kyron's face appeared on the questionnaire - what a mess, I shuddered. Wonder if Houze will say he will never find an impartial jury due to the internet availability of that questionnaire? moo

Ethical, professional, more than competent, let the ball start rolling. Let's hope LE have done their part regarding probably cause, warrants, evidence. Don't want evidence thrown out of court due to technicalities. Let's have justice for Kyron!

I am very glad to hear this news - seriously, she needed one, guilty or not.

If an arrest looks likely now do you guys think LE will:

* Show up unannounced at her property say tonight to effect an arrest
* Wait till right before the presser to arrest her and then announce she has been arrested, or
* Allow her attorney to deliver her to the Sheriff's office to be arrested?

Any other options?

I would guess the latter, but I wish the first.

Why does it matter how this attorney is getting compensated? I mean seriously? Is that the most important thing to ruminate over?

The point is a good attorney took the case. He's going to do his best. And if he's as good as his peers say, then he'll uphold the law and provide a vigorous defense when the time comes. Which means that if and when there is a conviction, we will know that the defendant got a fair trial with competent counsel.

Where this post lands is random...attack the post, not the poster! Remember TOS!

If an arrest looks likely now do you guys think LE will:

* Show up unannounced at her property say tonight to effect an arrest
* Wait till right before the presser to arrest her and then announce she has been arrested, or
* Allow her attorney to deliver her to the Sheriff's office to be arrested?

Any other options?
I'd like to see #2, but I think #3 is more likely.

I don't think an attorney of this magnitude would represent her, if he didn't think he had a shot at successfully defending her interests.
How on earth would he know that without knowledge of the case (if there is one) that LE is building against her? :waitasec:

I don't think an attorney of this magnitude would represent her, if he didn't think he had a shot at successfully defending her interests.

BBM, does that mean getting her the best deal if she is guilty or does it mean smoke and mirrors and double talk. If the evidence is damming...will he advice her oh how to make the best plea deal or will he try to get her off? could he try to make her show where the body is or will he say she doesnt know {even if she does}

?? Guys, she is a home owner. Husband makes a decent enough living. Divorced or not, she gets half. Equity in the house would cover a good dent in legal fees- not to mention half of retirement funds earned during marriage. She has no worries in the $$ department- at least, not compared to most. Her comments were a little strange (can't afford one) but more for self-pity, not reality. Trust me- this woman can afford an attorney. We don't need to feel sorry for her in this aspect- not one bit.

Edited to add: Remember this: She still gets a settlement, GUILTY OR NOT. She still owns the home, GUILTY OR NOT. She still is party to earnings during the marriage- accused, guility, not guilty, fat, skinny, buff, on steroids, nice, mean, at the gym, at SI, wherever- criminal, not criminal- she has monetary assets.

IMHO/MOO/etc.
if she is Guilty the family ( husband and mom ) can turn around and sue her and get the money back.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous that he might be too good, but after following the Anthony case for over two years now, it'll be refreshing to see a defense attorney actually WORKING for his clients BEST INTERESTS and not just delaying until the cows come home and whining through motion after motion about doing actual work for the case. Oh, and blowing through over 200,000 dollars and then whining when the money train ran out.

Trust me, it's better for her to have a good lawyer who knows what he's doing than a bad lawyer like Baez who was only in it for the money and publicity. Cost does matter when you have a lawyer misappropriating and mishandling funds, and especially doing things like making those funds off of his client's dead child. Thank GOD we don't have to worry about that here.

I think an attorney's purpose in taking on a case like this (if she were to actually go to trial) -- or any case, really -- is to be sure that they force the state to adequately prove its case. That in itself is a successful representation, regardless the outcome of a trial (although getting a lesser conviction/sentence than the worst case scenario is definitely a bigger "win").

I'm more concerned about where Kyron is than Terri's rights. Kyron has a right to be found.

How on earth would he know that without knowledge of the case (if there is one) that LE is building against her? :waitasec:

Considering the national attention this case is getting, his line of work and possible contacts with LE (from other cases), its not hard to imagine. jmo

Edit to add, I'm sure he got some background info before he decided to defend her.

I'm more concerned about where Kyron is than Terri's rights. Kyron has a right to be found.

I'm with you. And I have this deep feeling that we will be in shock and awe at what LE has found....I have to believe this....that is why they are so quiet I think...they don't want to make a wrong move.

I have to believe IF she is Guilty it won't matter WHO her attorney is. SHE WILL pay for the crime she has comitted. IMO

Threadiquitte hasn't changed to allow sleuthing financial matters. Read the rules and don't do it again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back