Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Global News Thailand on Twitter
#Thailand cave rescue: Doctor REVERSED plans to demand weakest boys brought out first | World | News | #ThamLuang #ChiangRai #ถ้ำหลวง @Daily_Express

Oh dear, more contradictions. :rolleyes: My interpretation of this whole debacle: The government told the doctor and the divers to bring out the strongest ones first. Dr and divers smiled and nodded that they would do their best to abide by their commands to get all the boys out safe... then they went in and did the most prudent thing. They selected the ones who needed to go first based on medical need and sent them off through the tunnels. It's what I would have done. It's what makes sense for Western rescuer workers-- basic triage in an emergency; The weakest get care first. Unfortunately, with poor oxygen levels in the cave the weaker ones were not going to get any stronger by waiting. JMO.

Lovely gesture of giving back that seems to be such a part of the people. I've learned so much about this country and it's people in the past two weeks, so much of it is admirable.
Source: The Australian

Thailand cave rescue: Boys to be sent to local monasteries to serve Buddhist monks

In the depths of his despair, when it seemed as if he might never see his son alive again, Somboon Kaewwongwan made a desperate bargain. Bowing his head in front of the Tham Luang caves, he prayed to the goddess who inhabits them: bring my son back, and I will put him into the monkhood.

The parents of the 11 other boys imprisoned in the cave did the same. A group of them travelled to the Buddhist monastery of Phrathat Doi Tung, which enshrines the collarbone of the Buddha, and days later their prayers appeared to be partially rewarded when the boys were discovered, trapped but alive, deep inside the caves.

As a result, the boys, aged 11 to 17, have a surprise in store: when they are safely brought out, and once they have recovered, they will be sent by their parents to local monasteries to have their heads shaved and serve as Buddhist monks.

Their stints will not be long - between two weeks and a month. Many Thais enter monasteries for a period as young men, in a kind of religious equivalent of national service. However, the story illuminates the central place of religion in Thai life, and the particular role it has played in this crisis.

“We did indeed make a bargain,” said Mr Somboon, who was waiting to hear whether his son was one of those already rescued. “We prayed to the goddess and to the Buddha to look after our kids in the cave, and to help them get out safe. And they are still with them, caring for them. We made a bargain, and we must keep our promise.”

Oh dear, more contradictions. :rolleyes: My interpretation of this whole debacle: The government told the doctor and the divers to bring out the strongest ones first. Dr and divers smiled and nodded that they would do their best to abide by their commands to get all the boys out safe... then they went in and did the most prudent thing. They selected the ones who needed to go first based on medical need and sent them off through the tunnels. It's what I would have done. It's what makes sense for Western rescuer workers-- basic triage in an emergency; The weakest get care first. Unfortunately, with poor oxygen levels in the cave the weaker ones were not going to get any stronger by waiting. JMO.

I think you are absolutely right. The gov't can't do a darn thing about what happens in the cave, and the elite divers and Docs made the right choice.

More about Dr. Harris here Tragedy behind Dr Richard Harris' Thai cave rescue credentials

“The anaesthetist from Adelaide with more than 30 years of diving experience was specifically requested by British divers participating in the Thai rescue...

Dr Harris is well known in the cave diving community, including as the leader of record-breaking missions to explore a dangerous underwater cave system on New Zealand's South Island.

In 2011 and 2012, he led a team of Aussie divers to record depths of 194 and 221 metres in what's believed to be one of the world's deepest cold water caves, searching for the source of the Pearse River.”

Oh, please spare the political rhetoric. Police do and have blocked off entire roads in the U.S. and have stood in them to direct traffic. GMAB.
As I said, the US is way above Thailand. But actually I have seen US cops block off entire roads many times. Sometimes for good reason, sometimes just because they feel like it. That absolutely does happen in the US.

Cave rescue enters day three
Live updates
Posted at22:26
In a few hours we're expecting to get an update on the rescued boy's condition. They're in hospital in Chiang Rai, an hour or so away from the cave

Posted at22:25
We understand that some of the foreign divers who are helping with this operation have gone into the cave this morning. They have about a five hour trip before they reach the boys and then turn around to bring them back out. It was quite late in the afternoon Thai time (GMT +7) before they reached the surface on Monday

Posted at22:25
The BBC has a team of reporters and producers deployed at the cave and in Chiang Rai, where the group are being taken to hospital once they get out. We'll be bringing you all the latest news and comment from the scene throughout Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71