Thailand - Simon Robinson, 27, UK National, failed to board his flight home, Bangkok, 27 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

StillDiggin

Reaction score
A 27-year-old man from Skegness has been reported missing after failing to return home after a trip to Thailand.

Simon Robinson went on holiday to Thailand on Monday, July 22, 2024 and was due to fly home on Saturday, August 3.

He then told family that he had changed his flight to Friday, July 26, 2024, but he never got on the plane, which the police have since checked. His last known location was in Bangkok, Thailand.
1722722714771.jpeg

So Simon was going for a 10/11 day holiday to Thailand but instead change his flight time so he would only have 4 days there. I find this unusual behaviour unless there was a big emergency he had to get An earlier flight. For many a trip to Thailand is a fantastic experience where most would want as many days as possible out there.

“His relatives tried in vain to contact him. A trace of his mobile phone’s signal showed that he was in Bangkok on July 26, but the signal disappeared or was turned off five minutes before reaching Suvarnabhumi airport in Samut Prakan.”

“His relatives tried in vain to contact him. A trace of his mobile phone’s signal showed that he was in Bangkok on July 26, but the signal disappeared or was turned off five minutes before reaching Suvarnabhumi airport in Samut Prakan.”

I wonder if the pic at your link is from his holiday??? It is also interesting to note from the article that it was his birthday while he has been away.

ETA: got to wondering if there was something special happening...

July

“His family are very worried as his phone has been switched off since speaking to his girlfriend, who lives in Boston where he is usually based. He phoned her on July 26 to say he was coming home.”

Quoting my own post to note that the Boston location referred to is probably Boston in the county of Lincolnshire, England.
(Hope I’m not the only US person who got confused thinking they meant Boston, Massachusetts, USA )
redface3.gif

So Simon was going for a 10/11 day holiday to Thailand but instead change his flight time so he would only have 4 days there. I find this unusual behaviour unless there was a big emergency he had to get An earlier flight. For many a trip to Thailand is a fantastic experience where most would want as many days as possible out there.

oh I should've read more carefully - heading home early is even stranger

Random thoughts as someone who worked for a number of years in Thailand assisting foreigners in crisis.
- There are so so so many foreigners living and travelling in Bangkok. He wouldn't stand out unless he was exhibiting some extreme kind of behaviour.
- We saw a LOT of young men and a few young women with sudden onset mental health episodes usually linked to lifestyle factors like trying some new drug. I cannot count the number of young men who have had a complete breakdown in their mental health in Thailand and they had no hint before they travelled there. I've seen so much extreme behaviours - including booking and then missing flights - and it is so common - I would not rule it out.
- Also very common: men drawn in by an attractive 'date' then assaulted, robbed, sometimes drugged by them or their accomplices. Rarely someone might be killed. The Thai sex industry is everywhere and many, many tourists participate during their holidays. They do not tell their families or partners back home until forced to, when something goes wrong.
- Self harm - I have seen a lot of very sad outcomes.
- Gambling gangs/extortion - make friends with some friendly young foreigners who are on holidays, invite them somewhere, start with a friendly card game that gets progressively more threatening. March them to ATMs and demand money and maintain control of them until they pay.
- Drug deals gone wrong and drug intake gone wrong (overdoses).
- Taxi driver incidents: If he was enroute to the airport when his phone pinged, I hope Simon didn't get in an argument with a taxi driver. There are some pretty vicious taxi gangs out there and it's known that it's one of the few jobs that ex-prison inmates can easily get. Usually it's Thai people affected, but this was a historical, quite well known instance involving a foreigner www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/359730/aftermath-of-expat-killing
- He could be in hospital as an identified person; probably unlikely if he was enroute to the airport as he would have had ID in the car. Hospitals in Thailand will only provide limited treatment to foreigners without a guarantee of payment. I feel like this is less likely as social media is very widely used in Thailand and the case would have popped up in local media.
- Maybe he's arrested and the Thai government are just taking time to notify the British Embassy. IMHO that would be highly unusual, Bangkok police are usually pretty good at letting foreigners notify their embassies if they are detained, particularly in Bangkok.

Honestly based on the numbers I dealt with over a 4 year period, statistically I'd guess mental health issue, though it's obviously impossible to say given the limited information we have here.

Last edited:
Random thoughts as someone who worked for a number of years in Thailand assisting foreigners in crisis.
- There are so so so many foreigners living and travelling in Bangkok. He wouldn't stand out unless he was exhibiting some extreme kind of behaviour.
- We saw a LOT of young men and a few young women with sudden onset mental health episodes usually linked to lifestyle factors like trying some new drug. I cannot count the number of young men who have had a complete breakdown in their mental health in Thailand and they had no hint before they travelled there. I've seen so much extreme behaviours - including booking and then missing flights - and it is so common - I would not rule it out.
- Also very common: men drawn in by an attractive 'date' then assaulted, robbed, sometimes drugged by them or their accomplices. Rarely someone might be killed. The Thai sex industry is everywhere and many, many tourists participate during their holidays. They do not tell their families or partners back home until forced to, when something goes wrong.
- Self harm - I have seen a lot of very sad outcomes.
- Gambling gangs/extortion - make friends with some friendly young foreigners who are on holidays, invite them somewhere, start with a friendly card game that gets progressively more threatening. March them to ATMs and demand money and maintain control of them until they pay.
- Drug deals gone wrong and drug intake gone wrong (overdoses).
- Taxi driver incidents: If he was enroute to the airport when his phone pinged, I hope Simon didn't get in an argument with a taxi driver. There are some pretty vicious taxi gangs out there and it's known that it's one of the few jobs that ex-prison inmates can easily get. Usually it's Thai people affected, but this was a historical, quite well known instance involving a foreigner www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/359730/aftermath-of-expat-killing
- He could be in hospital as an identified person; probably unlikely if he was enroute to the airport as he would have had ID in the car. Hospitals in Thailand will only provide limited treatment to foreigners without a guarantee of payment. I feel like this is less likely as social media is very widely used in Thailand and the case would have popped up in local media.
- Maybe he's arrested and the Thai government are just taking time to notify the British Embassy. IMHO that would be highly unusual, Bangkok police are usually pretty good at letting foreigners notify their embassies if they are detained, particularly in Bangkok.

Honestly based on the numbers I dealt with over a 4 year period, statistically I'd guess mental health issue, though it's obviously impossible to say given the limited information we have here.
Interesting info, thanks for this. The fact that he decided to come home early, I wonder if he gave any hints to his family back home as to why he changed his flight plans. Like you mention, mental health issue seems like a great possibility IMO. Also, if he was on the way to the airport, five minutes away, it makes me think it could be related to the ride he got there IMO. Or at least whoever was his driver should be able to throw light on the situation.

Also, if he was on the way to the airport, five minutes away, it makes me think it could be related to the ride he got there IMO. Or at least whoever was his driver should be able to throw light on the situation.

Like all major world airports there is a multitude of transport around/to the airport: a metro line with a station under Suvarnabhumi Airport, airport transfer buses from Bangkok and other nearby towns that are popular with tourists ie: Pattaya. Taxis, of course, which are cheap and plentiful. Private car transfers. The options are endless.

He could also have been staying in a hotel near the airport, there are many many options around that area.

There is also at least one mall very close to the airport. It's popular with passengers - has lots of food options, a great Thai massage and plenty of space to walk around. It's great for those who have to check out of their hotel in the morning but whose flight is later in the day. The yellow road I highlighted is the only entrance into the airport.

1722753705492.png

It may be useful to know WHERE the phone ping originated but of course that will only identify the tower, not the very specific location. At least that's my layman's understanding.

Finally - it's also possible the phone was not in his possession, if something untoward has occurred.

Last edited:
Without casting any aspersions, from a photo in the Bangkok Post (major English language newspaper in Thailand) I wonder if Simon may enjoy live music festivals. Unfortunately many in the west are rife with party drugs. It does make me make me wonder/worry if he knowingly imbibed in Thailand. As well as little party pills, drink spiking is certainly a problem in Thailand, as it is in most countries. Thailand hosts many regular raves and parties that are known for these substances being easily available, for example at Full Moon Parties.

I don't know how much travelling he has done, but Bangkok can feel extremely hectic. It seems he was travelling alone? Maybe he found it overwhelming? While Bangkok is a hub for backpackers, there are plenty of solo travellers. However, in my experience they are usually transitioning there as part of a longer trip. A holiday of 10/11 days over your birthday would be more likely to involve friends, surely? Going home early would imply he really did not like it or wasn't feeling well. Alternatively, there are many ways to get yourself in to trouble.

My ex husband also went missing in Thailand, in a taxi apparently en route back to our apartment. The Thai police did take it seriously and I had to look at endless pictures of Europeans in hospital following fights/moped crashes/overindulgence etc. Everyone I met told me the Thai mafia ran the taxi system and that there had probably been a fight and him dead in a ditch somewhere. There was a happy ending in as much that he reappeared alive after 48 hours however not a happy ending for our marriage. The decision making he made over those few days was absolutely unpredictable. Thailand can get you!!

It would be helpful to know who he traveled with. 10 days in Thailand over your birthday sounds more like a trip you’d take with friends or a partner (and we know his girlfriend is at home). Lots of people go off travelling solo (I’ve done it, and in Asia). But this really has the feel of a trip you’d take with family/friends/partner and not alone.

If he did in fact travel solo, what dings up for me is drug (or something else) smuggling. This actually fits with the changed date of travel (mule needed sooner) and the fact he disappeared en route to the airport. Obviously something nefarious could have happened there. Or he could have been forced to travel somewhere else, perhaps held against his will or arrested/in hospital, in Australia or India or Argentina or wherever on a fake passport. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back