Thailand - Simon Robinson, 27, UK National, failed to board his flight home, Bangkok, 27 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree. Or Snapchat
Yup. There are so many issues that can happen going to places like Thailand. First of all there is the language barrier, both written and spoken. Second is that it is still an emerging economy so things that we in industrialized western countries consider the norm aren't visible. For example, about 10 years ago there were a flurry of tourist deaths that were eventually linked to a banned pesticide in western countries yet was used regularly in smaller economical hotels. I presume since I haven't read of more deaths since then that the pesticide was banned because of the bad publicity and loss of tourist money.

Then there's the issue of gambling. Gambling is still illegal in Thailand except for horse racing. But gambling dens are rampant in that country even though there is currently a push to legalize it so the government can't take a share of the spoils. I guess I don't even have to mention the robust business of brothels populated by underage girls (and boys) which is definitely a tourist attraction. As others have mentioned there's the drug mule issue. Thailand still has the death penalty for drug traffickers but I believe foreigners are exempt from execution. I'm not suggesting that Simon was involved in any of the above scenarios but could still unwittingly be used in the latter one.

Another thing I was wondering about is that the UK had a rise in Covid cases in July this year. So is it possible that Simon between the time he got on the plane in the UK and landed in Thailand that he developed symptoms of Covid and preferred to return to the UK for treatment. Just a thought.

Yup. There are so many issues that can happen going to places like Thailand. First of all there is the language barrier, both written and spoken. Second is that it is still an emerging economy so things that we in industrialized western countries consider the norm aren't visible. For example, about 10 years ago there were a flurry of tourist deaths that were eventually linked to a banned pesticide in western countries yet was used regularly in smaller economical hotels. I presume since I haven't read of more deaths since then that the pesticide was banned because of the bad publicity and loss of tourist money.

Then there's the issue of gambling. Gambling is still illegal in Thailand except for horse racing. But gambling dens are rampant in that country even though there is currently a push to legalize it so the government can't take a share of the spoils. I guess I don't even have to mention the robust business of brothels populated by underage girls (and boys) which is definitely a tourist attraction. As others have mentioned there's the drug mule issue. Thailand still has the death penalty for drug dealers but I believe foreigners are exempt from execution. I'm not suggesting that Simon was involved in any of the above scenarios but could still unwittingly be used in the latter one.

Another thing I was wondering about is that the UK had a rise in Covid cases in July this year. So is it possible that Simon between the time he got on the plane in the UK and landed in Thailand that he developed symptoms of Covid and preferred to return to the UK for treatment. Just a thought.
There isn’t any treatment for Covid in the U.K.
Heck we even have to pay $20 for a test and even if you test positive like I have today, the government has done a complete 180 on it now and you are supposed to go about life as normal if able but preferably wear masks and try to keep away from the vulnerable people

I do find it very bothersome that the GF appears to have been contacted by someone claiming to be a Thai Immigration Officer. If it's a fake, it's a bold move and like the preamble to a ransom demand. I hope this does not turn into a distracting social media brawl like the death of the late Jay Slater in Tenerife.

This disappearance is a Thai police matter. I seriously doubt an immigration officer would be making this call rather than an official Thai LE member. I think this was a fake, and someone does not want the family, the UK consulate, or the Thai police searching too much in Thailand.

With the spoken and written language difficulties, it might be very difficult to know who was a real LEO and who was a fake. Perhaps the UK consulate could recommend a local private investigator who would be able to sort out this very strange story.

I think Interpol is involved. They should be able to examine the flight manifests and airport videos in Helsinki, at least. At this time, I don't think he was on that flight, nor has he left Thailand.

I do find it very bothersome that the GF appears to have been contacted by someone claiming to be a Thai Immigration Officer. If it's a fake, it's a bold move and like the preamble to a ransom demand. I hope this does not turn into a distracting social media brawl like the death of the late Jay Slater in Tenerife.

This disappearance is a Thai police matter. I seriously doubt an immigration officer would be making this call rather than an official Thai LE member. I think this was a fake, and someone does not want the family, the UK consulate, or the Thai police searching too much in Thailand.

With the spoken and written language difficulties, it might be very difficult to know who was a real LEO and who was a fake. Perhaps the UK consulate could recommend a local private investigator who would be able to sort out this very strange story.

I think Interpol is involved. They should be able to examine the flight manifests and airport videos in Helsinki, at least. At this time, I don't think he was on that flight, nor has he left Thailand.

I'd also point out that anyone who had his phone and could unlock it would have access to her phone # and their texts. I just have such a bad feeling about his.

I'm just sure he hasn't left Thailand.

How did a random Thai immigration officer get the phone number of the girlfriend? He's not married so I would bet that his contact information on his passport is still family. However, if he was targeted by immigration officers and taken into a private room then he may have released his GF's phone number. I hope this isn't some kind of scam perpetrated by either corrupt Thai officials or someone within Simon's orbit.

How did a random Thai immigration officer get the phone number of the girlfriend? He's not married so I would bet that his contact information on his passport is still family. However, if he was targeted by immigration officers and taken into a private room then he may have released his GF's phone number. I hope this isn't some kind of scam perpetrated by either corrupt Thai officials or someone within Simon's orbit.
It was a Facebook comment, responding to the sister. I don't think there was an actual phone call. MOO

July
Well, I doubt a young man would go to Thailand for any of that.
Without wanting to stereotype the country, the majority of men go there for cheap beer, cheap sex, easy drugs and "good times".

Interesting to note, his girlfriend didn't go on this holiday with him.

Did he check-in electronically, so there's some question about whether he boarded the Helsinki flight? When was his ticket changed from UK to Helsinki? Was it at the same time that he changed the flight return date?

His bank records must explain some of this.
The airline can tell whether he boarded the flight, whether he checked in at the gate with a traditional paper boarding card or an e-ticket.

An August 6 update, again from the Sun. It mentions the focus is now in Helsinki, with family and friends planning a search there as his phone apparently was active on arrival there! I guess they think he was due to get a connecting flight home.

Last edited:
AUG 6, 2024
... In a recent Facebook announcement, Sarah said, "We have confirmation Simon boarded the flight. Thanks to everyone who helped. I await a response from the police and embassy in Helsinki."

Contrary to this, UK police had suggested Simon did not board any flight, creating confusion. South Yorkshire Police confirmed Simon's case was reported to them but did not issue a missing person's appeal.

Essential information came from an alleged Thai immigration officer stating Simon was on Finnair flight AY142, bound from Bangkok to Helsinki. While Sarah confirmed this herself, Finnair, when contacted, couldn’t disclose passenger details.

Last edited:
A screenshot of the post from the Imigration Officer is still on the sisters fb, THAT is the person who told her he made the Helsinki flight # AY142...she asked if it was DEFINITE and they replied to her by saying they are an Immigration Officer from Thailand so THAT defines the accuracy of the info eta 2BBM: YES they said that!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laznsher
Back