Thanksgiving as Day to Shop Meets Rejection

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When is black friday? Is it before or after Thanksgiving?

Is it that Thanksgiving happens and everyone is then bombarded with Christmas spending ... that warm fuzzy feeling from turkey is supposed to translate to spending spree?

What is black friday and how does it relate to turkeys?

The idea is that Thanksgiving is the first day of the Holiday season. The day after Thanksgiving is the kickoff of the Christmas shopping season, and usually the best day for deals.

Does it relate to Turkeys? No. Does it relate to people being really stupid and beating the crap out of each other after camping out in the parking lot of a retail store for hours and hours? Yes.

I don't camp out, but I don't mind going out to look at the deals after the kids are all asleep. It saves me having to wash the Thanksgiving dishes right away.

It is also referred to as Black Friday because it is the day when many retailers are "in the black" (making a profit) for the year. Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't go every year, and when I go I don't do the camping out thing, but if there is something special we would like to get for the house or the kids I might go out that morning to get a better deal.

One year when we had made my husband a home office in the basement, for example, I was at Wal-Mart at 5 AM for a $129 small TV that could be mounted in the corner.

This year we have decided to replace our old TV as our gift to one another, so I'm browsing the ads for a deal. Why pay so much more the next day?

Also, in the craft world, there are great deals at JoAnn's and Michael's. I try to stock up on things like rotary cutter blades and sewing machine needles at rock bottom prices.

I never bring the kids or my husband. Usually I go with my mom and SIL. I have a friend who does a whole battle plan with a group of friends - they divide and conquer and get some amazing deals.

I guess it's to each their own. I'm not sure why shopping on this day makes a person any more materialistic and greedy than those who pay full price any other day.

There are a few deals i have want to go for. But really midnight??? Why can't they just do 4 am like all the other years. ARGH I wonder if we can get the same prices online?

I usually do the 5am Black Friday run to Macy's when I am in NYC... but not this year. For the first time in 8 years I will be staying home that whole week and weekend... paying medical bills instead of buying things, in all honesty, I don't need.

My heart just hurts thinking about it... LoL I love early morning Black Friday sales... just typing out the above paragraph darn near almost brought me to tears. :(

I like good parking, so I'd never shop on Black Friday. I'm much more of a-- Monday morning when all y'all are back at work-- shopper. :)

Thank you! The schedule hasn't been released yet, but being fairly new I am sure I will be. I worked almost every Thanksgiving day when I was a radio DJ, as well, so I am sort of used to it, I guess. My retail workplace did ask us if we had any preferences for when to work on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, etc, and even allowed some to take them off, which was very nice of them to do.

Sounds like you work for a good company. I like when workers are given the choice of working or are given the choice of rotating holidays. Makes for a happier work place.

I have gone shopping on Black Friday for years and years-- even before it was such a huge deal. I don't usually set out to buy anything specific, just check out what's left whenever I get around.

About 6 or 8 years ago, my dad wanted some kind of a meat smoker that was on sale at Walmart. My mom and I decided to go early (I think they opened at 5 that year). It was absolute insanity. We had people steal things out of our cart that weren't even on sale!!!! We never did get the smoker....haha. The thing about a lot of those big items that they advertise (TVs, computers, etc.), they only get so many, usually a low number, of them and you're pretty much out of luck if you're competing against 25 other people.

I think it's sad that the stores are going to open at 10 PM on Thanksgiving or midnight on Black Friday. That means some people are going to start lining up early during the day instead of spending the day with their family....which is what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about, IMO.

I went out in the middle of the night a few years ago. I fought crazy traffic, didn't get near any stores that I wanted to go to, and came home empty handed. Never again.

Staples was sold out of flash drives at 6:00 am!

I would love to see anyone who wants to spend Thanksgiving Day with their loved ones and family be able to do so.

It is one of my days of thanks and counting my blessings.

Curious how everyone feels about this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/black-friday-backlash-early-openings-112000843.html

For Anthony Hardwick, Thanksgiving has special meaning. Last year, he proposed to his girlfriend, Denise, in front of her whole family during the holiday.

This year though, he will be working. A part-time employee at Target in Omaha, Neb., Hardwick said his manager requested he start his shift at 11 p.m. In order to make it through the night, he'll need to sleep on Thanksgiving Day.

I have no problems with Black Friday sales starting early. Some people work odd hours and the hours may be the only time they can shop. As far as people going crazy at these sales, well that says a lot about our society, and perhaps our economy. Perhaps the extra hours will keep that stuff at bay. I also hope there is extra stock for whatever those most wanted items are.

I don't intentionally shop on Black Friday as I cannot be in crowds. I accidentally went to one (I forgot it was Black Friday) a couple of years ago. I usually shop on a day off at 4 a.m. or earlier at the 24 hour WalMart to avoid crowds and get on with my day. Well, there was no crowd. Just a line in the electronics section. I wandered around in a daze as usual, and was wondering what the line was for. Half way through the store I saw people leaving with giant t.v.s the likes of which made no sense to me. Those t.v.s would take up an entire wall, and I would think pixilization would be horrible unless you live in a mansion and are sitting at least a football field away from them. That was what they were there for. Not computers, not toasters, mixers, juicers. They were there for those big t.v.s that were only on sale for a limited amount of stock and something like a 2 hour time frame. Everyone was calm and happy.

A secret a friend does. She goes to see family after Christmas. She waits until the day after Christmas to shop and gets everything at least half off. (This obviously is no good if you still have family at home.) Also, WalMart marks Christmas only items 75% off after noon on the day after to get rid of the surplus. Don't know what other stores times are.

Folks here in Chicago are riled up about the new after Thanksgiving, pre-pre black Friday sales. Stores here are opening as early as 5pm Thanksgiving evening, some at midnight and others at 3 or 4am Friday morning.

I wish employees had a choice. They need family time too and they need sleep.

Isn't Thanksgiving pretty much over with by nighttime though? Or is that just my perception due to coming from Jewish culture where holidays go from sundown to sundown lol?

In this house it does :) It's time to put on the stretch pant jammies and settle down with my white bread/mayo/left-over-turkey sammich.

Not shopping.

:rocker:

Mel

I'm wondering how many of the people who signed this petition or otherwise think this is a bad idea will have their houses lit up like Christmas trees on Thanksgiving (or the days before!)? Holiday decorations = ok; Holiday shopping = not ok? Doesn't quite seem fair, does it?

Curious how everyone feels about this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/black-friday-backlash-early-openings-112000843.html

For Anthony Hardwick, Thanksgiving has special meaning. Last year, he proposed to his girlfriend, Denise, in front of her whole family during the holiday.

This year though, he will be working. A part-time employee at Target in Omaha, Neb., Hardwick said his manager requested he start his shift at 11 p.m. In order to make it through the night, he'll need to sleep on Thanksgiving Day.

I think Mr. Hardwick needs to find another line of work. Retail sales may not be his thing.

Note to the furture Mrs. Hardwick: You're going to have your hands full with this one once you're married...he's already balking at going to work -- and he only works part time.

When I was just out of college, I worked a one-clerk convenience store every holiday. I didn't mind because I needed the money and there was no other place for people to buy milk and forgotten items to make a holiday meal. We weren't crushed with customers, and my family adjusted the celebration at home to fit my schedule.

However, other than bare necessities, I never shop on holidays or the day after. There is nothing I need so much that I have to brave the cold and crazy people who make such shopping a terrible experience.

As for my Christmas shopping? I was finished by last January, taking advantage of the post-holiday sales and clearance. I'm ready to start wrapping and shipping.

So I've just finished reading through all the comments.

Many people are saying, "But this is a day to spend with your family! People should be with their families." I agree. I'll take it one step further, though, and say, spending time with your family should be a year-round thing, not just reduced to one day. Even if distance separates you. Call them. Skype them.

Thanksgiving is a day to be grateful, and remember all we have to be thankful for. Again, I agree, but shouldn't we be grateful and remember what we have to be thankful for, everyday? Or at least, once a week?

Maybe that's why going out at midnight (by myself, when the kids are asleep) on Thanksgiving night doesn't really bother me. Quite possibly it's because, for the second year in a row, my son won't be home for either Thanksgiving or Christmas, because this year he's overseas; I'm sure he'll be working on Thanksgiving too, as a member of our military. Probably even Christmas. Protecting our freedoms and keeping us safe, it seems, is a 24/7 job.

People who want to stay at home with their families should be able to do it, happily; and people who find themselves out shopping, whatever their reason, shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.

I think Mr. Hardwick needs to find another line of work. Retail sales may not be his thing.

Note to the furture Mrs. Hardwick: You're going to have your hands full with this one once you're married...he's already balking at going to work -- and he only works part time.

This man was actually on the morning show I listen to yesterday. He works at Target because it's the only job he can find. He graduated from college either last year or the year before. I was actually very impressed with him-- he was well-spoken and even brought up that he knew some people would have the attitude that he should just be thankful to have a job in these times. He thanked people who work on holidays-- police officers, firemen, doctors, etc. He said something to the effect of-- We need people like this to work on holidays in case of emergency and I am so thankful for them but it's no emergency if I can't hand you a Tickle-Me-Elmo.

I completely get his point. People who work retail never have a regular schedule-- aren't always home to have dinner with their families, aren't able to go to every school function with their child, can't go to church every Sunday with their families, some can't even take the day off for a funeral. The only days these people can count on to have off are holidays and, quite frankly, I think it sucks that that's being taken away. :twocents:

This man was actually on the morning show I listen to yesterday. He works at Target because it's the only job he can find. He graduated from college either last year or the year before. I was actually very impressed with him-- he was well-spoken and even brought up that he knew some people would have the attitude that he should just be thankful to have a job in these times. He thanked people who work on holidays-- police officers, firemen, doctors, etc. He said something to the effect of-- We need people like this to work on holidays in case of emergency and I am so thankful for them but it's no emergency if I can't hand you a Tickle-Me-Elmo.

I completely get his point. People who work retail never have a regular schedule-- aren't always home to have dinner with their families, aren't able to go to every school function with their child, can't go to church every Sunday with their families, some can't even take the day off for a funeral. The only days these people can count on to have off are holidays and, quite frankly, I think it sucks that that's being taken away. :twocents:

I am really having a hard time believing that a college graduate can only find a part-time job at Target.

My son was a college graduate last year. Between graduating from college and waiting to be called up to active duty, he needed a job (even though he'd already been commissioned into the military -- signed the contract, everything..they don't pay you while you're waiting to be called up to duty....and because they had so many graduates from the Academy, they needed to place them, first). He went to a temporary agency and worked for a local manufacturer in their Quality dept. making $10.50 an hour.
He didn't really like the job, but he did what he needed to do.

I don't think we've been told the whole story here. Perhaps he has some other obligations/limitations/considerations that keep him from seeking full-time employment, and perhaps Target is the best "fit" for him right now.

Retail sales is probably one of the most thankless jobs out there. Long, sporadic hours, low pay, little thanks. It's not for everyone.

As for it being an "emergency"...for those of you who don't need to save the money that sales like this get you, God bless you! I'm very happy for you! Unfortunately, some people are pinching pennies, and this is one way to do it. Because my children have no living grandparents, and my extended family is not close, I am all my kids have, in terms of gifts -- I am Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Joan and Uncle Bob, and Santa, and I really need to save every penny I can. Some of the deals on Black Friday allow me to do that, and you have to admit, that you're not going to find Nintendo DS games for $5 or $10 each any other time of the year, unless they're being discontinued.
Yeah, I know it's not all about the gifts, and I know there's no Santa. But when you're 4 and 6 and all you see are toy commercials on TV this time of year, it's a different story.

I don't buy my kids a lot of gifts -- I don't know what other families do, but my kids will be getting 3 gifts each...one of them just happens to be a Nintendo DSi-XL...which is costly.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selaynehunter
Back